Most inspired signing ever (1 Viewer)

Rusty Trombone

Rosario? Please.

You know it's true. Seem to recall he was terrible when he first came, but he was having a great season in midfield when he was sold, setting up goals for Ndlovu and Quinn (had to check that on wiki).

David Smith also used to set up everything for a season or two.

Moff

Cheap but brilliant for us : during my time : Steve Hunt, Gary Gillespie (pure class), Dean Emerson (would have played for England, megson!!), Oggy, Terry Gibson, Stuart Pearce, Roland Nilson and George Boateng. All cheap and great for us.

I agree with all of these, all great players. Would also add Bugsy and Peake, both great players and underrated.

One player I would also mention is Nick Pickering. Don't laugh!
When we signed him we looked relegation certainties under Don Mackay. He came in scored a few and the results turned, particularly when Mackay was sacked and George and John took over. I seem to remember Pickering scoring in a 4-4 result with the Blues and the point helping us eventually stay up. His influence played a key part in us staying up, and then the next season came the cup!

Danceswithhorses

Brian Borrows from Everton reserves - quality player, and i'm still gutted he missed out on an FA cup final appearance

Rusty Trombone

I agree with all of these, all great players. Would also add Bugsy and Peake, both great players and underrated.

One player I would also mention is Nick Pickering. Don't laugh!
When we signed him we looked relegation certainties under Don Mackay. He came in scored a few and the results turned, particularly when Mackay was sacked and George and John took over. I seem to remember Pickering scoring in a 4-4 result with the Blues and the point helping us eventually stay up. His influence played a key part in us staying up, and then the next season came the cup!

Was just about to mention Pickering, but on the thread about worst players. In reality he can't have been that bad, but his qualities passed me by.

Rusty Trombone

Cedric Roussel, brilliant for a few games, sadly then he started to believe he was the best player in the world. Sold to Wolves for a profit, so one of the few players to make an impact who we got rid of at the right time.

Hobo

Despite shouting for Steve Ogrizovic, Stuart Pearce and Trevor Peake plus the valiant efforts of Stuart Robson to defeat injury......I also support the votes for George Boateng.

Can I also put up Dean Emmerson from Rotherham....while in a Sky Blue shirt was tipped to replace Brian Robson in midfield for England before a knee injury scythed him down.

Joy Division

Stewart Robson is the first player I saw in a city shirt who I thought 'wow this guy is brilliant' must have been about 10 or 11 when he had a really good season for us. Just remember he used to completely run the midfield. Brilliant captain.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Lots to choose from over my time.. but has anyone mentioned Dave Bennett... £ for £ as skillful with the ball at his feet as anyone it might be argued... could cross a ball from anywhere-little shift and over she'd go.... loved watching Benno play....twinkle toes my old man used to call him...

Dennis Wise- like most I questioned the wisdom of the signing; too old, too much baggage... but my word.. those games at the Ricoh in which he played... what value... was involved in everything and anything.. he must have been some player in his pomp.....

Last edited:

mrbluesky87

Big Mo without a doubt so much so that my eldest middle name is Konjic. He never bottled a challenge and loved his powerful runs but more important he fought in the Bosnian war. Legend

ccfcway

Big Mo without a doubt so much so that my eldest middle name is Konjic. He never bottled a challenge and loved his powerful runs but more important he fought in the Bosnian war. Legend

Lucky you weren't a fan of Dave Busst then !

Hobo

Just imagine Coventry scrapping to avoid relegation from thevtopmflightvalong with Birmingham City. We are talking March now!

Step in Mick Ferguson from the old Wallace n Ferguson routine. Two appearances for Birmingham 1 goal.....doing nothing...so they let him come to us.....He was allowed back to his old club Coventry City on loan in March 1984; the three goals he scored in what remained of that season were enough to save Coventry from relegation from the top flight, ironically at Birmingham's expense.

3 goals in 7 games....did we give him a contract? No he joined Brighton.

Danceswithhorses

Just imagine Coventry scrapping to avoid relegation from thevtopmflightvalong with Birmingham City. We are talking March now!

Step in Mick Ferguson from the old Wallace n Ferguson routine. Two appearances for Birmingham 1 goal.....doing nothing...so they let him come to us.....He was allowed back to his old club Coventry City on loan in March 1984; the three goals he scored in what remained of that season were enough to save Coventry from relegation from the top flight, ironically at Birmingham's expense.

3 goals in 7 games....did we give him a contract? No he joined Brighton.

I remember that final home game...think perry suckling was in goal for us ?
Ferguson was immense.
Still cant believe the stupidty of the Brum board loaning him to us, and him relegating them - quality lol

rob9872

Dion. Would have been big John hartson if they had made it sooner

Big Chris

Peter Ndlovu. Bought for pence, sold for millions. He, along with Kevin Gallagher and big Dion made Coventry a real attacking threat. A true professional...

Brighton Sky Blue

From the Football League, Dennis Wise has to be up there-at the time it looked like a hopeless punt by Micky Adams but he turned the season around almost by himself and despite being 40 was as effective in the middle as I've seen.

James Smith

From the Football League, Dennis Wise has to be up there-at the time it looked like a hopeless punt by Micky Adams but he turned the season around almost by himself and despite being 40 was as effective in the middle as I've seen.

Was thinking of him too - never liked him as a player until he pulled on a Sky Blue shirt. Oggy goes without saying but Jarni would be up there too ;)

Last edited:

Johnnythespider

Yes, Mick Ferguson definitely deserves a mention for both stints at the club. I would add big Cyril to the mix, I don't think we have ever had a player as good at shielding the ball and bringing other players into the game.

Captain_Slackbladder

Surprised it has taken until the 6th page for Peter Ndlovu to surface! - bought for as much as my 2nd hand Ford Fiesta, most exciting player I have ever seen play for Coventry in the 28 years I have followed Coventry. On his day he was as exciting as any player I have ever seen, that includes the likes of Owen, Zola, Berkamp, Giggs, Beckham all playing at Highfield Road.

FRY-CCFC

Surprised it has taken until the 6th page for Peter Ndlovu to surface! - bought for as much as my 2nd hand Ford Fiesta, most exciting player I have ever seen play for Coventry in the 28 years I have followed Coventry. On his day he was as exciting as any player I have ever seen, that includes the likes of Owen, Zola, Berkamp, Giggs, Beckham all playing at Highfield Road.
You clearly didn't read my post properly

Moff

Was just about to mention Pickering, but on the thread about worst players. In reality he can't have been that bad, but his qualities passed me by.

I can agree with that towards the end of his time with us, as he went right off the boil, but what I wrote was really in relation to when he first joined us. He scored a few goals and it seemed to give us a lift and we stayed up by the skin of our teeth, and then went on to win the cup the next season.
The point really was that just for that one period of time it really gave us the lift we needed.

japandy

Very difficult because naturally people will choose their favourite player. I calculate that you either choose a person who helped us with a promotion, or who helped our history with a cup win. Sorry if he has been mentioned before but for me there is only one erson because he scored in every round and scored one of the best goals ever at Wembley = Keith Houchen is CCFC's finest ever signing

JHarding1987

Robert Rosario - Rosey is our leader! After we let him go we dropped from 3td to 11th in first season of the Prem. Think we won one game without him. Chose Rosey because we all thought he would be crap, but inspired the team. Quinn's goal dried up after he left & is a strong reason why Gould left. We could have and should have qualified for Europe.
Other more than worthy contenders:
Robbie Keane
Ray Graydon
Dion Dublin
Trevor Peake
Tommy Hutchinson
Dennis Wise
Steve Ogrizovic
Peter Ndlovu
Darren Huckerby
George Boateng
Present players
Leon Clarke
John Fleck

torchomatic

Terry Yorath and Steve Hunt for me.

lewys33

Dennis Wise always sits well with me, turned our season around that year!

I am not going to lie, I don't recognise half of the names mentioned! Guess the average age of users on this foum must be higher than I expected ;)

Hobo

What this thread does show is how many great players the club has had over the years.

We normally have a good 11, it's the strength in depth we have often lacked.

Users who are viewing this thread