Most inspired signing ever (1 Viewer)

Manchester_sky_blue

Dennis Wise for me. Had a huge impact on that season. Often wondered what would have happened had we made him manager.

torchomatic

I liked David Thompson too.

BrisbaneBronco

Too many to mention, but will throw a few more into the mix

Ian Wallace, Bobby McDonald, Noel Whelan, David Speedie and Dave Bennett

skyblueexile

views on 50 years supporting

1960's J H & Curtis & Glazier
1970' Hutchinson
1980's Peake
1990's Mcaillister
2000's no one really
2010's and future Pressley

but Hutchinson always top for me as every time he got the ball you could feel the excitement

standupforcity

1970' Hutchinson
1980's Peake
1990's Mcaillister
2000's no one really

but Hutchinson always top for me as every time he got the ball you could feel the excitement

Completely agree...he was real magic. But there have been so many great players over the years it's no exactly fair to single anyone out...no mench of Willie Carr or Denis Mortimer for instance, unless I've missed it...but great players...

luwalla

dennis wise or gary mcallistar.. the former gave a massive shit in the arm to a team which nearly got us out of the championship.. and the later was a man with a vision & range of passing , the likes of which ive never seen since at this club since or before

thaiskyblue

Completely agree...he was real magic. But there have been so many great players over the years it's no exactly fair to single anyone out...no mench of Willie Carr or Denis Mortimer for instance, unless I've missed it...but great players...
i would say mortimer and carr as top players but the thread says signings, we had mortimer and carr as kids.

harvey098

Being 22, sadly I cant comment on the majority of the names mentioned.

In terms of a player coming to the club and making a positive impact immediately, the stand out ones for me are

Dennis Wise
Stephen Warnock
Marlon King
David Mcgoldrick

fernandopartridge

Gary Mac for me. it was no coincidence that we went down after he left and Liverpool did the treble.,

I disagree. Club record signing, club record salary. He was good for less than half of the time he spent at the club. Financial disaster.

Mick Quinn for me. I think we'd have been relegated in 92/93 without him.

Lamptey

Alexi Lalas :D

Strachan, (lets forget the manager bit for a minute...) he was unreal for 39/40 at time or whatever age he was....

Roland Nilsson -class above any defender I have ever seen for the club.

Wise - used to detest this guy when he played against us, but was class for the time he was here.

GaryJones

Hadji and Chippo - Know this sounds like a circus act but they were magician's for the Sky Blues!

Joy Division

Hadji and Chippo - Know this sounds like a circus act but they were magician's for the Sky Blues!

Although Hadji had occasions of brilliance he was mostly pretty inconsistent on the whole from what I remember. Chippo the same, decent player but don't think we ever got the best out of him.

SonOfSnoz

People always mention keane, but his contibution per game doesn't add up!
He wasn't here for long & can remember several games when he was very quiet.
Wise did it for me!
Wise move & Terry Gibbo, close second.

SonOfSnoz

Big Mo's top move, lifting his hands up to plead offside after being outskilled by the opponant! ;)
Lovely guy but very overated!

Monners

Huckerby, Terry Gibson, Pearce, Peake, Oggy, Sumo - can't choose between any of these. Always liked Gerry Daly, Hunt and Yorath too when growing up. I think the shout for Marsden is a great one too though as he was a class act who we should have signed.
I suppose with Hutch being the best wver City player, then he fits the bill for the thread title.

aodea

For me Keane had a big impact in the short period he was here but was a good Coventry team.

Dublin had a massive impact in his time at the club scored a lot of goals.

Wise had a big impact in the side.

Think Clarke has had such a huge impact on the team this year. (hopefully we look back in a few years as getting him being the turning point)

Negative side Bellamy had a big impact in helping us go down.

Covstu

For me it would be either Gary Mac (when Liverpool comes in for him at his age you know he is still class) or Dion (elevated to a decent prem team)

sky_blue_up_north

There are quite a few, the day we signed Yorath, McDonald and Wallace all announced match day, brilliant Tommy Hutch and Colin Stein signed at the same time. Rob Barry, Dion, Hucks, Robbie Keane. Wise has to be up there, I never realised what a great player he till he came to us... Of course Maurice Setter, no doubt he saved us from relegation in the first season in the top flight. You can go back further and signing like Ian Gibson, Neil Martin, Gerry Baker...

Grendel

I may be wrong but didn't Keane score virtually all his goals at home?

Skyblueweeman

1970' Hutchinson
1980's Peake
1990's Mcaillister
2000's no one really

Don Hutchinson?! Just kidding, I'll get my coat....

WM

Skyblueweeman

Oggy, Speedie, Gallacher and Ndlovu were probably my favourites when I was a nipper.

I think Oggy has to get most inspired signing though as others rightly point out, he left Liverpool who were pretty much dominating Europe at that point and joined us to become a legend. Loyalty likes his deserves no.1 position in things like this. Good work lad,

WM

Gary.j

Someone mentioned it earlier, Mick Ferguson's loan period. His goals/contribution saved us from relegation that year. I've always felt ashamed of the way he was dumped afterwards. His goals for us relegated his own club b.c.f.c.

Users who are viewing this thread