Morgan Williams (1 Viewer)

Cavan O'Doherty

DM? Daily Mail or Defensive Midfielder?
giphy.gif

CovInEssex

Announced Monday morning I'm guessing.

He was recently a part of the V4 Academy set up which is an off-season series of games where non-league players try and impress scouts (150+ this year). Sounds like we got him from that. Bit of a gamble I'd say - need to ask the question why Derby or Sheffield Utd didn't sign him when 100k is less to them than it is to us.

Mucca Mad Boys

Announced Monday morning I'm guessing.

He was recently a part of the V4 Academy set up which is an off-season series of games where non-league players try and impress scouts (150+ this year). Sounds like we got him from that. Bit of a gamble I'd say - need to ask the question why Derby or Sheffield Utd didn't sign him when 100k is less to them than it is to us.

Or...

The question is, why would a younger player choose us over better clubs? The answer is a greater liklihood of opportunities. Our recent history shows us as a good place for young players to progress from.

Otis

Or...

The question is, why would a younger player choose us over better clubs? The answer is a greater liklihood of opportunities. Our recent history shows us as a good place for young players to progress from.
Exactly that I guess.

CovInEssex

Or...

Well yeah I agree about giving young lads opportunities but he went to them on trial and they said no - why?

SlowerThanPlatt

Well yeah I agree about giving young lads opportunities but he went to them on trial and they said no - why?

Because sometimes you have to look what you have in the younger age groups/the age groups above and decide whether a realistic pathway is there. They may have rated him as a player but didn’t see a pathway there for him with the players they already had at the club

£100k if true though is a big sum for a player who’s played at step 7

Manchester_sky_blue

Lot of assumptions being made here. We don't know that the figure was/is actually £100k. We don't know who made offers to him, could be we were one of several clubs and he picked us. We are fairly local to him after all. We also dont know, for certain, that he is even signing for us. it may yet come to nothing.

Reactions: vow

SlowerThanPlatt

The actual Mickleover Sports page said that it was a done deal for a 7 figure fee before they deleted it after it was beginning to spread between our fans

Otis

The actual Mickleover Sports page said that it was a done deal for a 7 figure fee before they deleted it after it was beginning to spread between our fans
What do they expect the fans to do after they have announced it? Not talk about it?

Manchester_sky_blue

To be fair, his old club tweeted to say he had signed for us (later deleted) so must be something in it.
Don't doubt that but usually when it's leaked like that the signing club would move quickly to make it official. The fact we didn't then and still haven't suggests to me it's fallen through

SlowerThanPlatt

Makes sense anyway this signing.

We have 2 centre backs at U23 level and neither are ‘U19s’. Reece Ford and the impressive Jordon Thompson who is developing nicely and will either be part of our first team or out on loan in League 2 after a good spell with Barrow in the Conference earlier in the season.

TEENAGER loan star Jordon Thompson will only keep getting better and better after an impressive first month at Barrow AFC.

The Bluebirds extended the 18-year-old’s spell at Holker Street from League Two play-off contenders Coventry City for a further four weeks yesterday, taking his stay up until November 14.

Manager Micky Moore has been impressed with what he has seen of the young centre-half since he arrived on an initial one-month youth loan from the Sky Blues on September 15.

He added: “He’s an 18-year-old who has gone from playing under-23s to adult football, for three points. I think anyone who has watched him will have seen that as each game has gone on, he has got better and better. I think he will continue to get better and better.

“I’ve been happy with him. It’s a big ask to go straight into men’s football as an 18-year-old, and I think he has taken to it like a duck to water.”

Last edited:

wingy

Makes sense anyway this signing.

We have 2 centre backs at U23 level and neither are ‘U19s’. Reece Ford and the impressive Jordon Thompson will will either be part of our first team or out on loan in League 2 after a good spell with Barrow in the Conference earlier in the season.
So If he's for the U23's which always seems likely then a fee upto £100K sounds highly performance loaded .
Then as with lad from Stratford earlier in the season the club are not a fan of media talk from the other end?

SlowerThanPlatt

So If he's for the U23's which always seems likely then a fee upto £100K sounds highly performance loaded .
Then as with lad from Stratford earlier in the season the club are not a fan of media talk from the other end?

I think that was more because he was a trialist. The lad from Stratford Ben Stephens was also at the V9 event but any interest for him hasn’t been mentioned anywhere

Users who are viewing this thread