More signings (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

Off at a tangent (as usual) but Bristol City drew 1-1 at home to Swindon today. As well as their new signing from Wigan (Joe Williams) likely to be missing v CCFC on the opening day. so will their centre back Nathan Baker. Keep it going Bristol, we'll take all the help we can! Walsh still not yet fit!

Come on MR - new CDM plus any others will do nicely!

shmmeee

Trying to work out what positions the three might be. DM x 2 maybe, plus a RWB?

If we get a DM, not sure where is next to strengthen.

ccfc_Tom

I really like Maroši, but I can’t help but wonder if he’s next in line for an upgrade. Assuming no one leaves, every other area looks pretty strong. Unless a LWB on a permanent deal comes up who is better than Giles.
I cannot see that. One of most consistent players last season, barely put a foot wrong. Will not upgrade on him without paying big money.

shmmeee

I would be happy with the squad in that scenario tbh, concerned with wilson as back up. If still had money left, I wouldnt argue with us keeping it for january in case we are in trouble.

Yeah in reality I agree, just curious if money and injuries were no object where next for the team.

PVA

I really like Maroši, but I can’t help but wonder if he’s next in line for an upgrade. Assuming no one leaves, every other area looks pretty strong. Unless a LWB on a permanent deal comes up who is better than Giles.

Wilson needs to be upgraded.

I know its tough to find a decent keeper who is willing to sit on the bench, but if Marosi ever gets injured we are screwed as Wilson is simply not good enough unfortunately.

shmmeee

Wilson needs to be upgraded.

I know its tough to find a decent keeper who is willing to sit on the bench, but if Marosi ever gets injured we are screwed as Wilson is simply not good enough unfortunately.

I just generally don’t believe in signing back ups. Unless there’s literally no one, or we have a player with a history of missing games, I think we should sign players for the first team (U23 signings apart).

I guess the best thing would be a young keeper.

Sky Blue Harry H

I just generally don’t believe in signing back ups. Unless there’s literally no one, or we have a player with a history of missing games, I think we should sign players for the first team (U23 signings apart).

Agree Shmmeee - you'd think he'd hold on to any remaining budget to deal with any issues in the January window. Guessing where issues may occur before they do seems odd. If incomers are not first choice, or as close as, why spend it now? RWB cover would be the only area for me, in case Dabo had a setback. Think the left hand side can be covered with Mason/Giles etc

Last edited:

AFCCOVENTRY

I think there is an exception during a season to sign an emergency keeper.

SlowerThanPlatt

Wilson’s a very odd one, 28 years old and played 62 games. Can’t be many players at all who have played less by that age? I could understand if he was getting a 20k a week from Chelsea to be their third choice but he’s always been a lower league goalkeeper...

kg82

Wilson’s a very odd one, 28 years old and played 62 games. Can’t be many players at all who have played less by that age? I could understand if he was getting a 20k a week from Chelsea to be their third choice but he’s always been a lower league goalkeeper...
Bet there’s a few. But, we won’t have heard of them, like most that don’t support Coventry won’t have heard of Wilson.

Skybluedownunder

Wilson was horrendous today, the second goal he didn’t even try get down to the floor. Mo Eisa did well but Wilson didn’t even try... don’t get me started on the first one! Every time he touched the ball he took one touch too many like he was trying to take people on, I was touching cloth every time he did it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kg82

Wilson was horrendous today, the second goal he didn’t even try get down to the floor. Mo Eisa did well but Wilson didn’t even try... don’t get me started on the first one! Every time he touched the ball he took one touch too many like he was trying to take people on, I was touching cloth every time he did it

Why would you shit yourself for a friendly?

Robinsboy

MR doesn't have dealings with the CT so the only way any information is given is through CWR. Robins said, after he was asked the question 'any more dealings', that he wants three more, but it could be one, definitely one, he said. No names were mentioned.

Skybluedownunder

Why would you shit yourself for a friendly?

I like to win... especially to prove that we were warranted league winners against Peterborough

Friendly or not, we should keep a winners mentality, I don’t like this ‘who cares if we win or not on friendlies’

kg82

I like to win... especially to prove that we were warranted league winners against Peterborough

Friendly or not, we should keep a winners mentality, I don’t like this ‘who cares if we win or not on friendlies’

It literally counts for nothing. And isn’t what friendlies are for. Add to that, we DID win. I’m pretty sure a couple of friendly wins over a team that finished 7th doesn’t prove we should’ve won the league either, that was done over the 35/36 games where we actually finished top of the league.

Skybluedownunder

It literally counts for nothing. And isn’t what friendlies are for. Add to that, we DID win. I’m pretty sure a couple of friendly wins over a team that finished 7th doesn’t prove we should’ve won the league either, that was done over the 35/36 games where we actually finished top of the league.

The point I made about all this was Wilsons performance, were you comfortable with how he played today? And would you trust him if Marosi gets injured?

kg82

The point I made about all this was Wilsons performance, were you comfortable with how he played today? And would you trust him if Marosi gets injured?

Well, my stream cut out for their goals, so I didn’t see either. But, unfortunately, you’re not going to get a Buffon or a Schmeichel to happily sit on the bench for 90% of the season. He’s better than Burge, from what I’ve seen and I’m fine with that. If Marosi gets an injury that puts him out for a while, I’m sure Robins will deal with the situation then. As it is, it’s the position I’m least thinking about.

Sky Blue Pete

And with that he’s got two competing for the next young thing hasn’t he?

Magwitch

You do realise how expensive goalkeepers are ? There was a piece on Talksport last week following Man United giving Henderson Who has yet to play a game, a 6 year deal at £120k week. De Gear is on £375k a week. Pundit on there said most if not all Premier League keepers are on wages of atleast £80k a week and reserves on £30/40k. Ben Wilson is our reserve until he decides it’s time to move on then hopefully one from the Acadamy is good enough to step up. So unless MR can sign and afford a goalie no to replace Marosi as number one it will be Wilson and fingers crossed Marosi stay fit, keeps his form and doesn’t get sent off too often.

Legia Sky Blue

Because of the way we play, any goalkeeper we have has to have the confidence and ability to play the ball out from the back like an outfield player. I don't think there are too many about that can do that to Marosi's level. There will be times when there is a fine line in overdoing it and risking a soft goal. Marosi limited those errors to a minimum last season, while Wilson seems much more prone to overplaying at the wrong time. I don't see MR signing a new keeper just yet.

better days

Whens Dabo back?

I know he hasn't played in friendlys but he's been back in training for a few weeks now. @better days any idea if he is ok for the first game? Another 2 weeks should see him back surely?
Almost certainly won't be ready for the first game
Not sure where he is in his conditioning but after so long out and missing the preseason I suspect it will be a while before we see him

Sky Blue Pete

Almost certainly won't be ready for the first game
Not sure where he is in his conditioning but after so long out and missing the preseason I suspect it will be a while before we see him
Back in training won’t be rushed but I reckon on the bench by end of September

Users who are viewing this thread