Missed Opportunity? (1 Viewer)

wantageskyblue

I'd liked to of seen £15 a ticket for the first game, think that could be a missed opportunity to fill the ground 1st game back!
Admire your optimism but I think we would struggle to fill the ground if tickets were only £5. The people of Coventry only seem to turn out if there is a chance of getting a Wembley ticket or we are playing a top PL team.

Grendel

What if Robins has no interest in signing a “marquee” player, should the club do it to keep the fans happy? MR doesn’t strike me as the type to be signing “big names” if they don’t fit what he wants.. you could argue Bright is an exception to that but he’s made it pretty clear it’s up to Bright to prove himself

Boddy: "Mark Joy has been out on the piss and said we can sign any player now for £10 million and she will fund it - lets do it"

Robins: "Thanks Dave but I'd rather not spend the owners gift of cash I am much happier signing young loans and hope they work out or a goalkeeper no one has heard of"

Grendel

We should be treating this season like Wasps and MK Dons did when they moved city. We’ve severed the fan base and need to rebuild.

Haven't we sold more season tickets since 2005?

COV

Boddy: "Mark Joy has been out on the piss and said we can sign any player now for £10 million and she will fund it - lets do it"

Robins: "Thanks Dave but I'd rather not spend the owners gift of cash I am much happier signing young loans and hope they work out or a goalkeeper no one has heard of"

A strange argument- if he had £10m he wouldn’t spend it on one player, he’d buy a few. Which is the point being made- he wouldn’t turn down money but it’s highly unlikely he’d spend it all on one player just for “name value”

Grendel

Dont know. But the Championship and football generally has changed a bit in 16 years.

Has it? How? Referencing Wasps strategy as good is bizarre - it was catastrophic, cheapened the brand and now they cannot sell hardly any full price tickets

COV

Just according to me. £349 is a good price

Each to their own however to say it’s disappointing that we’ve sold more season tickets than we have in many years, I would disagree.

When you consider the damage that’s been done in the last 2 decades and our record of season ticket sales, 10k or so isn’t bad at all imho, rebuilding your support takes time.

Grendel

Each to their own however to say it’s disappointing that we’ve sold more season tickets than we have in many years, I would disagree.

When you consider the damage that’s been done in the last 2 decades and our record of season ticket sales, 10k or so isn’t bad at all imho, rebuilding your support takes time.

Have we ever sold more than 10,000 season tickets? I can't recall us hardly ever doing so

COV

Dont know. But the Championship and football generally has changed a bit in 16 years.

Not sure if it’s football that’s changed or we were living in a parallel universe to football for so long with all the drama & never ending crises going on.

We’re playing catch-up now, either way.

Grendel

Not sure if it’s football that’s changed or we were living in a parallel universe to football for so long with all the drama & never ending crises going on.

We’re playing catch-up now, either way.

Catch up to what?

shmmeee

Has it? How? Referencing Wasps strategy as good is bizarre - it was catastrophic, cheapened the brand and now they cannot sell hardly any full price tickets

Again you spectacularly miss the point. We’ve been away for years, we’ve had lockdown, this isn’t a normal season and we need to rebuild the fan base is the point. Not cry wanking over Wasps.

I’ve only got data back to 2010, but since then average crowds have increased by ~17%

COV

Have we ever sold more than 10,000 season tickets? I can't recall us hardly ever doing so

Don’t know- the only time I know we did was 87/88 when if you bought a season ticket you got advantage on cup final tickets, so you had people queuing round the ground for season tickets once we got to the cup final

Would think 2005/2006 was probably a good number but I have no idea on figures

WestEndAgro

I don't think Samo is saying that the budget needs to be busted, it's entirely within the owners' gift to expand the budget or not. They choose not to. I agree with him that a marquee signing would be nice.
We would all be delighted if Ostigard returned, feel good factor would surge but we wouldn't sell one extra season ticket on the back of it.
It's all about the match day ticket prices, and their too much

🇧🇼👊🇧🇼 PUSB

Malaka

A marquee signing like who?
Marquee signings come with marquee sized demands & the risk is high & goes against everything Robins has built in his time here.

Completely hpothetically, say we took a punt on someone like Scott Dann who some have been clamouring for. He was on £60k p/w at Palace & even Bournemouth are struggling to match his demands.
Say we managed to land him but he demands £25k p/w on a 2 year deal. It would be utter madness to offer that, he's 34 years old, injury prone & not managed 20 games in a season for 5 years now. You'd be shelling out £2.6m just on him - that's an awful lot of season tickets you'd need to sell on just one player who might barely ever play.

What does that do for squad morale too? Someone like Hamer or O'Hare could be tearing up the league & they're on a fraction of what this guy's on who isn't even contributing?

Yes, Joy/Sisu could invest more if they so choose but they'd want to see a risk/reward analysis & I can't see a scenario where any would look appealing.
Great post

COV

We would all be delighted if Ostigard returned, feel good factor would surge but we wouldn't sell one extra season ticket on the back of it.

🇧🇼👊🇧🇼 PUSB

We signed Robbie Keane and everyone went nuts with excitement… then there were only 17,000 in the ground to see his debut. We’ll get more than that in the division below v Forest. Football has grown, we missed out on that growth due to the owners, now we have to try and catch up

Grendel

Again you spectacularly miss the point. We’ve been away for years, we’ve had lockdown, this isn’t a normal season and we need to rebuild the fan base is the point. Not cry wanking over Wasps.

I’ve only got data back to 2010, but since then average crowds have increased by ~17%

"Cry wanking over Wasps" - a typical response. They did what many want on here - massively reduced prices which then sets the benchmark - at Wycombe thy could and did charge over £30 a game.

I am sure you could charge a fiver and lose money every week with 25,000 in the ground - then when you increase the prices they just don't come again

We haven't been away for years - its two and one of them was behind closed doors.

The price for many games at £20 is very good value for money

COV

"Cry wanking over Wasps" - a typical response. They did what many want on here - massively reduced prices which then sets the benchmark - at Wycombe thy could and did charge over £30 a game.

I am sure you could charge a fiver and lose money every week with 25,000 in the ground - then when you increase the prices they just don't come again

We haven't been away for years - its two and one of them was behind closed doors.

The price for many games at £20 is very good value for money

There is a balance and I don’t know the answers- someone was talking about Bradford and yes they sold loads of season tickets- anyone can when they charge next to nothing, would be interesting to see how many renewed if they suddenly put prices back up

Skyblue_CP

🇧🇼👊🇧🇼 PUSB
Frankly this is a poor argument, fair enough good will for the first game, I'd be on board with that, people still want L2 prices in the Championship. The reality is we have one of the cheapest season ticket and matchday ticket costs in the division, need to look at it with abit of perspective and think ourselves lucky.

Frostie

I'd liked to of seen £15 a ticket for the first game, think that could be a missed opportunity to fill the ground 1st game back!

That's a fair argument & I must admit I was a little surprised to see it priced at £30, particularly on Sky, on a Sunday etc.

I guess the concern is you devalue your product. If you only paid £15 for the first game back in Coventry, indeed the first competitive game in a long time for most, what would encourage you to then fork out double for future matches? Especially if we lose or the match is a bit of a damp squib etc.

We saw it before with the Ricoh return, 27,000 was immediately followed by 11,000 then 7,500 & 9,000 etc. It ended up our lowest average attendance in over 50 years (excluding the Sixfields season).

SAJ

Lets be real... the club has as much money as Joy wants it to have.
Let’s be honest she set the strategy for funding several years ago now and hasn’t moved from it. Those who are tasked with finding the players with the model that has been set or focused on those costs and have been identifying potential targets with that information. It has been a success for the past 3 seasons now, we are making progress albeit I take for some it isn’t quick enough. To suddenly change away from a successful model just by throwing cash at the transfer market is not guaranteed to bring further success. At least we know where we stand with this model and Robins and has team to date have improved year on year. I for one don’t want to go back to shit or bust.

NortonSkyBlue

Fair point. I am just suggesting that for our club in particular, given our circumstances, a little more courage and money could have reaped rewards. Joy is not short of money I'm told, it seems short sighted not to splash some of it now.
Unless I am mistaken we have been told for years we have pay our own way. It was made crystal clear that investment or splashing some of it was not happening.
Fans can’t have it both ways, we want £15 a ticket but we want you to splash the cash...and everything that SAJ has said in the post above.

COV

Let’s be honest she set the strategy for funding several years ago now and hasn’t moved from it. Those who are tasked with finding the players with the model that has been set or focused on those costs and have been identifying potential targets with that information. It has been a success for the past 3 seasons now, we are making progress albeit I take for some it isn’t quick enough. To suddenly change away from a successful model just by throwing cash at the transfer market is not guaranteed to bring further success. At least we know where we stand with this model and Robins and has team to date have improved year on year. I for one don’t want to go back to shit or bust.

I am a bit astounded that anyone would see us go back to the dark old days of wasting money, especially with how well things have been going in the last couple of seasons. Its like we learned nothing.

And then to rock up saying "they should reduce ticket prices" at the same time as "they should spend more money"- crazy talk

Users who are viewing this thread