Missed Opportunity? (1 Viewer)

Samo

I grasp it, I disagree with it.

It does not matter one single iota how good the "matchday experience" is, if we are not winning then nothing will work, at least not outside of a one-off match.

Are you saying that this "matchday experience" is more important than whats on the pitch or something?

Let me ask you an question;
Why do you think football fans favor certain away matches over others?
Is it to do with whether they think we can get a result, (what's on the pitch) or is it to do with which ones are a fun day out? (match-day experience)

Frostie

Look at wasps and what they do on a match day and yet they still have to give away free tickets to get people in

Yep, Wasps' problem is they do it so frequently they totally devalued them, people think "Why should I pay to go again when I can just wait til the next freebie?".

I can tell you from a friend working in local schools that they used to have a Wasps rep visit & just drop a box of hundreds of free tickets at the reception and say "Hand these out to whoever wants them". They then literally couldn't give them away. My friend used to come to our football club with hundreds trying to offload them, he didn't have many takers.

COV

Let me ask you an question;
Why do you think football fans favor certain away matches over others?
Is it to do with whether they think we can get a result, (what's on the pitch) or is it to do with which ones are a fun day out? (match-day experience)

Like I said, the single biggest factor is the momentum the team has.

I'll ask you something- is it coincidence that we took more away fans in L1 (and maybe even some L2?) than we did in the Premier League?

We often used to take a couple of hundred to huge Premier League grounds where this 'matchday experience' was heavily invested in, yet we took a few thousand everywhere in L1 and quite a few in L2. A bit of it was the novelty factor, but mainly because the team gave the fans belief that we were on the up.

But anyway- don't mean to argue, I just feel that the team must come first or else everything else is pointless. And having marketing schemes in place now when people are clearly waiting to see what MR does in the next fortnight would be a bit of a waste.

usskyblue

Wot brought in more fanz to HR ? The cup run or the cheerleaders ?

star_trek_looking_at_each_other.gif

KenilworthSkyBlue

"marketing", "strategy", "end goal", "establishing the brand", devalued the product", "demographic", "tactic", "matchday experience", "interactive"

Get the team winning and you can forget all your buzzwords and business school jargon, it will not be needed. How far have Wasps got with their "matchday experience" tactics and their endless assault on the city to try and attract fans in?

Did you fall asleep in the 70s and just suddenly wake up?

No club operates on that logic alone.

Samo

Like I said, the single biggest factor is the momentum the team has.

I'll ask you something- is it coincidence that we took more away fans in L1 (and maybe even some L2?) than we did in the Premier League?

We often used to take a couple of hundred to huge Premier League grounds where this 'matchday experience' was heavily invested in, yet we took a few thousand everywhere in L1 and quite a few in L2. A bit of it was the novelty factor, but mainly because the team gave the fans belief that we were on the up.

I think you are assuming that everyone thinks just as you do about what you want from the day. Yes the result is obviously the biggy, but there is so much more to it than that, these are social events. To suggest that nothing else matters is simplistic to the point of idiocy.

COV

I think you are assuming that everyone thinks just as you do about what you want from the day. Yes the result is obviously the biggy, but there is so much more to it than that, these are social events. To suggest that nothing else matters is simplistic to the point of idiocy.

I didn't say it doesn't matter, I said it wouldn't work.

All it would take is a couple of good results on the bounce to generate a bit of belief and yeah, get cracking and it could work, but right now any & all funds need to go on the team.

Frostie

Don't necessarily agree with that. I saw Walker as a marquee signing last season and that wasn't astronomical.

Admittedly we've spent a similar sum on Gyokeres this summer but he didn't pull up trees when here even if he does have the potential to.

I think a lot of us just want that one player through the door that makes you go wow and really look forward to seeing them in action and it just doesn't seem to have come off this summer.

In which case that's sound. I think Walker is a great signing but can't imagine it's the kind of deal that would lead to an upsurge in ST sales as per the OP.
You could even argue the Bright signing has created a bigger buzz with a lot of the more casual fans.

Reactions: COV

Grendel

Oh ok, lets not try and pull in bigger crowds then, I mean we don't need the money, lets wait until we are top 6.

where is there any evidence they attract people unless it’s free?

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Sorry but this is nonsense- the only "matchday experience" that people ultimately care about is the feeling of walking out the ground having seen us win, and even better win well.

You can do anything you want and nothing will ever work if you're not winning, if you're winning you don't need to bother with too much else.
You do football differently to me then. As much as I want to win, the experience of the day, meeting up with mates, a good atmosphere etc is all part of the day. If I went to watch a team win I would make a trip to the Etihad.

COV

You do football differently to me then. As much as I want to win, the experience of the day, meeting up with mates, a good atmosphere etc is all part of the day. If I went to watch a team win I would make a trip to the Etihad.

Yes I get all that, all fine.

But meeting up with mates, a good atmosphere- how is the club supposed to influence that?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I grasp it, I disagree with it.

It does not matter one single iota how good the "matchday experience" is, if we are not winning then nothing will work, at least not outside of a one-off match.

Are you saying that this "matchday experience" is more important than whats on the pitch or something?

My first match I remember very little of the actual football. Kilcline scoring a penalty is about it. But I remember the car being parked close to the ground and walking up towards the stadium. I remember walking to the front of the terrace and putting our little crate down to stand on so I could see over the wall. I remember the people slowly filtering in behind us and the noise of the chanting and singing building. The smell of pies and chips and the flask of tea. There's plenty of games since I can't remember a single thing about.

Of course how the team does on the pitch will be paramount to ongoing success at the turnstiles, but it is so much more than that that makes it an 'experience' and creates an interest that for many will last a lifetime and feel almost a strong a bond as family and friends.

rob9872

It never ceases to amaze me how people take a position and run with it to the end, regardless of it being clearly obvious what the other person's point often is and easily able to understand both sides of the argument are valid, even if you personally lean one way.

The whole debate on costs is a prime example and this kind of thing has been done so many times on here in different ways and pretty sure we all get it by now that some people follow blindly, some need a reason to attend, some need an excuse not to, some would love to but genuinely can't afford it, some make life choices that mean they can't afford it, some will never go at all and have no intention of going. All are perfectly fine positions to hold and some of life's smaller choices. I'm stuck at work for another hour, but the rest of you, have a beer, have a wank, enjoy the sun whilst you can!

COV

My first match I remember very little of the actual football. Kilcline scoring a penalty is about it. But I remember the car being parked close to the ground and walking up towards the stadium. I remember walking to the front of the terrace and putting our little crate down to stand on so I could see over the wall. I remember the people slowly filtering in behind us and the noise of the chanting and singing building. The smell of pies and chips and the flask of tea. There's plenty of games since I can't remember a single thing about.

Of course how the team does on the pitch will be paramount to ongoing success at the turnstiles, but it is so much more than that that makes it an 'experience' and creates an interest that for many will last a lifetime and feel almost a strong a bond as family and friends.

Again- how is the club supposed to influence where you park, what smells are drifting around? It can influence the noise levels… by winning

This seems to be veering into a HR v CBS Arena debate now, which I get totally, nothing will replicate HR, ever

Grendel

Yes, and the more the match day experience is improved, the more people will be 'going to the match anyway'. Can you honestly not grasp that?

I would think if you asked people what puts you off going 2 things will come up

Price
Parking and accessibility

Not fan zones, face painting and throw a sponge at sky blue Sam

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Yes I get all that, all fine.

But meeting up with mates, a good atmosphere- how is the club supposed to influence that?
By putting on a decent match day experience? I know you don't like the phrase. But the Ricoh matchday experience has largely been awful. Not all of it is their fault for example I have mentioned several times before but a train for me is 2 hours and its 25 minute drive. Despite shit crowds the entire experience at St Andrews was largely better. Even stuff like the new Sky Blue Tavern and busses to and from adds something more than just rocking up to a soulless bowl with circa 14,000 other fans supporting the same team as you. Hopefully the new sports bar also adds to it, and Dhillons Brewery expanding. Use the Arena as a pre-match fan park like they did as a one-off for the Accrington game the other year. Get people around the ground earlier for a bit of build up, not 90% of the ground rocking up at 2.50 and causing traffic james at the turnstiles.
There are some people who just turn up to watch 90 minutes of football which is fine, but there are many who want to make a day of it, whether it's having the options for places to drink around the ground, decent stuff for kids to get involved in (I believe there is a group who do an excellent job of this by the way, but my daughters not old enough for me to have any experience of). I am (un)lucky enough to have mates who are Villa, Arsenal, Blues season ticket holders so have accompanied them to plenty of games before and all of them feel like "going to the football". The Ricoh has never given me that. The club at least look like they're doing something to address that so it isn't all bad. There have been countless away days I have done where we have lost, but we've got on the train or in the car and still enjoyed our day out. Again, St Andrews was always a great day out (granted it helps our results were good), and I am hopeful that the club have listened to fans, learned from it and in the future will hopefully look to grow that.

fatso

I know I'm old and nostalgic, but the matchday experience at the Ricoh isn't a patch on that at HR.

Samo

By putting on a decent match day experience? I know you don't like the phrase. But the Ricoh matchday experience has largely been awful. Not all of it is their fault for example I have mentioned several times before but a train for me is 2 hours and its 25 minute drive. Despite shit crowds the entire experience at St Andrews was largely better. Even stuff like the new Sky Blue Tavern and busses to and from adds something more than just rocking up to a soulless bowl with circa 14,000 other fans supporting the same team as you. Hopefully the new sports bar also adds to it, and Dhillons Brewery expanding. Use the Arena as a pre-match fan park like they did as a one-off for the Accrington game the other year. Get people around the ground earlier for a bit of build up, not 90% of the ground rocking up at 2.50 and causing traffic james at the turnstiles.
There are some people who just turn up to watch 90 minutes of football which is fine, but there are many who want to make a day of it, whether it's having the options for places to drink around the ground, decent stuff for kids to get involved in (I believe there is a group who do an excellent job of this by the way, but my daughters not old enough for me to have any experience of). I am (un)lucky enough to have mates who are Villa, Arsenal, Blues season ticket holders so have accompanied them to plenty of games before and all of them feel like "going to the football". The Ricoh has never given me that. The club at least look like they're doing something to address that so it isn't all bad. There have been countless away days I have done where we have lost, but we've got on the train or in the car and still enjoyed our day out. Again, St Andrews was always a great day out (granted it helps our results were good), and I am hopeful that the club have listened to fans, learned from it and in the future will hopefully look to grow that.

Thank you. Everything I wanted to say but couldn't be arsed to type.

COV

Thank you. Everything I wanted to say but couldn't be arsed to type.

Like I said, it’s ultimately a CBS Arena v HR question, which I get completely. Don’t disagree with what you say however the club is doing that with the sports bar and so on. That’s very different to saying we need to “do more for the kids” and go around with a van & speakers trying to drum up support.

shmmeee

Whilst I do agree I think the club probably should do more to put themselves out there I don't think they necessarily need to replicate Wasps' marketing spend as the club's strategy will be different as will be their end goal. For Wasps it was about establishing their brand but it failed miserably. One of the reasons behind this is my view was that they totally devalued their product by constantly giving away free tickets. So, I'd really rather not do that as it doesn't work.

I do think we should be doing far more to get the players in schools though and focus heavily on this demographic. If they convince the kids to come then their friends, parents, wider relatives will come also. It's a pretty simple tactic and something the club haven't been great at in the past.

They definitely should do more to increase the match day experience and make the day more interactive for fans.

Forget I said wasps. Try MK Dons. Sorry I know it triggers people on here but clubs who have moved location are obviously the best case studies.

And I don’t think anyone is thinking Wasps is a premium product.

COV

Forget I said wasps. Try MK Dons. Sorry I know it triggers people on here but clubs who have moved location are obviously the best case studies.

Are they not a big deal in the world of rugby?

NorthernWisdom

Do you think they're the best case studies? They're the best case studies for clubs wanting to establish a presence from nothing but... are they the best case studies for clubs with a legacy, with a sedimented cultural history?

skybluetony176

Not sure who people were expecting. Moore and Waghorn I think are two decent signings that will bring maturity and experience to a young side. Bright is either going to be a stroke of genius or a disaster but given his clear love of the club and the fact that Robins got the best out of him last time it’s every chance he’s going to be a stroke of genius. Viktor I’m really excited about personally, I think we only scratched the surface with him last season on what he’s capable of and could well be a big player for us this season. Couple that with a couple of decent prospects, the fact that we’ve held onto our better player’s, hopefully Tyler Walker has now fully recovered from his Covid issues and can give us more, might see another permanent or two yet, bound to get a couple of premier league prospects in on loan etc and like I say. It’s not been awful.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Not sure MK Dons is the best case study.

Being a relatively new town Milton Keynes didn't really have a reputable team for the local population to support so once MK Dons came along was it realistically that difficult for them to build a fanbase given they had zero competition? I think the nearest Football League club to the town is probably Luton, which isn't all that near.

Grendel

They aren’t as they are entering an area with zero support so it’s a totally different situation

Users who are viewing this thread