Missed Opportunity? (1 Viewer)

COV

Not sure who people were expecting. Moore and Waghorn I think are two decent signings that will bring maturity and experience to a young side. Bright is either going to be a stroke of genius or a disaster but given his clear love of the club and the fact that Robins got the best out of him last time it’s every chance he’s going to be a stroke of genius. Viktor I’m really excited about personally, I think we only scratched the surface with him last season on what he’s capable of and could well be a big player for us this season. Couple that with a couple of decent prospects, the fact that we’ve held onto our better player’s, hopefully Tyler Walker has now fully recovered from his Covid issues and can give us more, might see another permanent or two yet, bound to get a couple of premier league prospects in on loan etc and like I say. It’s not been awful.

I think Gyo is a better signing than Bright tbh

COV

They aren’t as they are entering an area with zero support so it’s a totally different situation

I would have thought Brighton was a reasonable comparison- big local population, a degree of success but possibly underachievers for the size of the city, big potential support but then periods in lower divisions & a succession of off the field crises ate away at it, then they had to rebuild the club.

Their owners crap all over ours but the basic template is there- they have so many new fans now that they can’t fit them all into their ground.

That would be us too if we went up, we’d be deluged with ‘new fans’, every club is. But we’re a million miles away from that with our owners unfortunately.

Legia Sky Blue

Did the club get the season ticket pricing wrong? It was probably a big dilemma where exactly to set the price for season tickets, but in comparison to the announced new matchday prices, the season ticket price seems to have been cheaper than necessary. Given by definitinition season ticket holders are the most invested in the club and considered the most loyal, selling their tickets at £375 might have been financially counterproductive, as the majority of season ticket holders would probably still have brought tickets at a higher price.

If the average matchday price for next season is £25, a reasonable level for season ticket holders would arguably be £20 per match, providing a season ticket price therefore of £460, but a saving still of over £100 on paying match by match. The club might have wanted to be seen to show some kind of reward to those that stuck by them the last few seasons I guess, but in doing so this might have cost themselves up to £800k in the process if my back of a fag packet maths are correct, money that might have provided a few more options for MR in the transfer market.

As another aside I don't understand why the club don't announce season ticket prices and matchday prices simultaneously, because I suspect if marketed well the take up on season tickets might have been even greater than it has been already.

Grendel

It’s not though is it. It’s the same aim. JFC you are thick.

It’s not the same and I don’t understand where you get this notion we need to re build as if we are entering a new city.

Interestingly there was a discussion yesterday on the women’s T100 cricket and the fact that there was a record crowd of 8,000. It now transpired that 6,500 were free and guess what? The conclusion is it’s destroying the brand before it’s even got off the ground.

The evidence is clearly there that the club succeeds and it gets crowds naturally. When we topped league one walk ups increased significantly and I think it was £25 a game - one I’m sure we had 17,000

Personally I’d have done a two tiered system of pricing and not bothered with £30. The reason I’m sure they will have done it is they will estimate that the revenue from away fans will be high in those matches and more than make up for any losses with home fans

The aim will be to try and get some marketing communications of match packages at reduced prices to tie people in for more than one game. We’ve tried cheap pricing and it’s never worked - the two examples I can remember are gillingham and Colchester

I don’t know also how feasible it is but if I was at the club I’d be concerned at the problem the ground gas with the nonsense restrictions imposed by the council regarding parking and have tried to find local sports clubs and get some off site parking secured (wasps did actually do that when they actually had fans) and market it as part of a ticket purchase. In fact if you could find a thousand spaces I’d include in in a season ticket price and pay the landowner up front a fee. It’s a big problem that’s always going to exist at this ground

Old Warwickshire lad

Did the club get the season ticket pricing wrong? It was probably a big dilemma where exactly to set the price for season tickets, but in comparison to the announced new matchday prices, the season ticket price seems to have been cheaper than necessary. Given by definitinition season ticket holders are the most invested in the club and considered the most loyal, selling their tickets at £375 might have been financially counterproductive, as the majority of season ticket holders would probably still have brought tickets at a higher price.

If the average matchday price for next season is £25, a reasonable level for season ticket holders would arguably be £20 per match, providing a season ticket price therefore of £460, but a saving still of over £100 on paying match by match. The club might have wanted to be seen to show some kind of reward to those that stuck by them the last few seasons I guess, but in doing so this might have cost themselves up to £800k in the process if my back of a fag packet maths are correct, money that might have provided a few more options for MR in the transfer market.

As another aside I don't understand why the club don't announce season ticket prices and matchday prices simultaneously, because I suspect if marketed well the take up on season tickets might have been even greater than it has been already.
Season tickets were perhaps a little low. But season ticket holders are being rewarded for committing their cash early.
If the club had the choice of 20,000 season tickets sold. Or 10,000 season tickets with a chance of 10,000 walk ups at a more expensive price, I am sure they would take the first option.

Hobo

I don't think Samo is saying that the budget needs to be busted, it's entirely within the owners' gift to expand the budget or not. They choose not to. I agree with him that a marquee signing would be nice.

It would be nice, but for whatever reason we have missed out on two or three targets? That is how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

It still sounds like we are chasing one or two?

As MR says the picture is ever changing.

Hobo

I don't think our club has ever done enough on this.
I would want them to marketing really aggressively and doing all they can to improve the match day experience.

Match day experience for most City fans is very simple:

Win - top 6 here we come.
Lose - relegation here we come.

Hobo

Age old football debate

Fans we are expected to pay too much.

Fans owners aren't spending enough.

Users who are viewing this thread