Match Thread Millwall FC - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 25th Nov (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Your reply to the OG isn’t even ‘constructive’ Jack Cork is 35 ffs, Smodeks (whatevs) is an attacking midfielder and Chair is a winger.

They really aren’t viable replacements for Eccles.

Why the fook would you replace him anyway? He’s doing a great job for the home grown 23 year old that he is.

Hamer replacement is what we needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
We needed to move Kelly on for a Hamer protege in any case, then also had to replace the man himself. As it happens we did neither and ideally you'd have Sheaf and Eccles competing for one spot rather than playing alongside each other.

PVA

Probably the best example of why 4-4-2 is a seriously outdated formation, especially with someone like Cuffy at RB.

It looked like we went 4-4-2 for a bit in the second half. Wright was playing up top alongside Godden for a spell. I think it was because Millwall were overloading us on the flanks a little.

pusbccfc

It looked like we went 4-4-2 for a bit in the second half. Wright was playing up top alongside Godden for a spell. I think it was because Millwall were overloading us on the flanks a little.

More of a box rather than a flat 4.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

We needed to move Kelly on for a Hamer protege in any case, then also had to replace the man himself. As it happens we did neither and ideally you'd have Sheaf and Eccles competing for one spot rather than playing alongside each other.
agreed, we need a couple of midfielders at least, and yes Eccles is ok as backup but not (at present) a 1st choice starting championship midfielder…he is improving though

unfortunately Fergusons_Beard has assumed I’m trying to replace Eccles like for like, rather than simply suggest who I’d start in midfield instead…

If Hamer had stayed, I’m sure most people wouldn’t name a much better midfield than Sheaf, Hamer, O’Hare / Palmer (or even Allen if injuries require), but as he didn’t, I’d look at players along the lines of my suggestions to fill that gap as a starting midfielder.

Cork played well in a team that walked the league last season, Szmodics gets goals and assists, and “Chair is a winger” ?? 🤔 really??

All this aside, this is just my opinion, but if people (FB) need to shout others down then so be it!

Brighton Sky Blue

agreed, we need a couple of midfielders at least, and yes Eccles is ok as backup but not (at present) a 1st choice starting championship midfielder…he is improving though

unfortunately Fergusons_Beard has assumed I’m trying to replace Eccles like for like, rather than simply suggest who I’d start in midfield instead…

If Hamer had stayed, I’m sure most people wouldn’t name a much better midfield than Sheaf, Hamer, O’Hare / Palmer (or even Allen if injuries require), but as he didn’t, I’d look at players along the lines of my suggestions to fill that gap as a starting midfielder.

Cork played well in a team that walked the league last season, Szmodics gets goals and assists, and “Chair is a winger” ?? 🤔 really??

All this aside, this is just my opinion, but if people (FB) need to shout others down then so be it!
Cork would need to be replaced within a season and a half at most, Szmodics is excellent but an attacking midfielder, likewise Chair. Assuming QPR go down, Chair will be available for a good price in the summer, but good luck getting Szmodics for less than an absurd price. O'Hare and hopefully Palmer will be off in the summer so we'll need players in that position anyway.

Brighton Sky Blue

As an aside, I thought Cuffey looked Millwall's best player. Great crosses throughout the game and the pace to go with it. Fair play

Saddlebrains

What I noticed most that the team looked much fitter , chased more and not too many teapots - Millwall on the other hand looked knackered - very happy tonight - well positive

Probably due to them actually not being allowed to fuckoff and do what they want for 10 days in the international break for a change

Was told it was Viveash who made it clear to Robins to stop the mollycoddling apparently, fair play

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Cork would need to be replaced within a season and a half at most, Szmodics is excellent but an attacking midfielder, likewise Chair. Assuming QPR go down, Chair will be available for a good price in the summer, but good luck getting Szmodics for less than an absurd price. O'Hare and hopefully Palmer will be off in the summer so we'll need players in that position anyway.

Cork wouldn’t be a long term solution, but would do a job - and I might be in the minority but I see Szmodics as box to box, he does put a shift in and is a tough tackling ball winner too, well at least when I’ve seen him play… Chair can also play in a more central role I think.
To be honest, I suppose it just goes to show how unique a player Hamer is, and why it has been so difficult to find a replacement…..

SBbucks

Robins wouldnt have dropped him if the personal things in his life hadnt happened you can be sure of that

Robins was always going to drop Fadz after his disastrous performance at Preston when he took him off at half time, that was clear from the post match interview. Nothing to do with his personal circumstances, that was an unfortunate coincidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Probably due to them actually not being allowed to fuckoff and do what they want for 10 days in the international break for a change

Was told it was Viveash who made it clear to Robins to stop the mollycoddling apparently, fair play
My thoughts exactly. Wondered if having the in for training to get systems etc sorted rather than having time off for internationals may have been a big help.

Saddlebrains

Robins was always going to drop Fadz after his disastrous performance at Preston when he took him off at half time, that was clear from the post match interview. Nothing to do with his personal circumstances, that was an unfortunate coincidence.

Why do you think Fadz put in such a terrible performance? A few days later his mum passed

He wanted to play to help the team, thats the man he is. When it became evident he was hindering us, thats why he was hooked.

SBbucks

Why do you think Fadz put in such a terrible performance? A few days later his mum passed

He wanted to play to help the team, thats the man he is. When it became evident he was hindering us, thats why he was hooked.

He was hooked because he had been ripped apart in the first half and Robins wanted to change to a back four to chase the game. That worked and we looked much better, hence the inevitability of playing a back four against Stoke; once Robins decided on a back four it was blindingly obvious Fadz would not start, whether he was available or not.

Saddlebrains

He was hooked because he had been ripped apart in the first half and Robins wanted to change to a back four to chase the game. That worked and we looked much better, hence the inevitability of playing a back four against Stoke; once Robins decided on a back four it was blindingly obvious Fadz would not start, whether he was available or not.

I think you're missing the point here.

Yes he was ripped apart, but why do you think that was? And why do you think he was poor the games before that? His mother could have passed at any minute, that mentally affects even the best of people, even someone as strong as Fadz who would want to lead his team even if he had 1 leg

His head was gone, Robins then took the 'if you feel you can play' mantra completely out of his hands at that point

fernandopartridge

Yes he was ripped apart, but why do you think that was? And why do you think he was poor the games before that? His mother could have passed at any minute, that mentally affects even the best of people, even someone as strong as Fadz who would want to lead his team even if he had 1 leg

His head was gone, Robins then took the 'if you feel you can play' mantra completely out of his hands at that point
Robins had two centre backs on the bench that day, any personal issues Fadz had did not mean there necessarily was a change in formation

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

SBbucks

Robins had two centre backs on the bench that day, any personal issues Fadz had did not mean there necessarily was a change in formation

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Correct. If it was just a case of Fadz’s personal issues he would have kept the same formation and brought on one of the other CBs at half time. He wanted the formation change in order to alter the game, which it did. And he knows damn well that Fadz is not quick enough to play in a back 4 at this level.

SBbucks

I’m not missing the point. His performances have been declining since the playoff final and he has been average/poor for most of this season, culminating at Preston. No disgrace in that, age catches up with every player eventually. He has been great for us but his time as automatic first choice has passed.

Martin180

I thought it was pretty well accepted that 5ATB was mostly to allow Fadz to keep playing to his strengths TBH.
Been a legend for us ,up there with the best signings we've made over the last 5-10 years but father time catches up with everyone. Great that he will still be in and around the squad and we will still need him at times moving forward but Kitching is the future

steveo1987

We looked excellent yesterday, I love the fact that Collins plays high trusting his two centre halfs. Much better with Bidwell in the side which is the way forward now for the foreseeable. Midfield looked a lot stronger with Eccles particularly good looking to thread balls forward although still fails miserably with set pieces. Wright was hit and miss , could have had two barring some good saves but general play still needs work. It was indeed football in a library yesterday, walked back to Canada water with a couple of Millwall fans really raving about us and a little critical of them trying to walk it in.

pusbccfc

Interesting reading the Millwall forum about tourists at their club.

Totally agree that it's truly saturated and gentrificatied now.

We did the walk from Canada Water there and back. It's a walk I did once maybe 15/20 years ago. Back then, it was petrifying. Millwall fans hanging around waiting for everyone and anyone.

Yesterday, I barely saw a Millwall fan. The atmosphere in the ground was horrendous.

It's a really good away day now they let you have the entire end. The views are great and the ticket price was reasonable. It is not this 'tough place to go' anymore.

SBT

Interesting reading the Millwall forum about tourists at their club.

Totally agree that it's truly saturated and gentrificatied now.

We did the walk from Canada Water there and back. It's a walk I did once maybe 15/20 years ago. Back then, it was petrifying. Millwall fans hanging around waiting for everyone and anyone.

Yesterday, I barely saw a Millwall fan. The atmosphere in the ground was horrendous.

It's a really good away day now they let you have the entire end. The views are great and the ticket price was reasonable. It is not this 'tough place to go' anymore.
The atmosphere was awful in both the home and away ends tbf - we only perked up in the second half.

Some of the hysteria about Millwall fans in the weeks before the game was laughable, people saying you shouldn’t wear colours or go in pubs anywhere near the ground….maybe I should feel lucky to have survived but we had a great day drinking in Bermondsey.

The Philosopher

You wanted to sign Hudlin. After that your credibility as a poster was shot
I’d have Billy Sharp over Wright and Simms…
We all know why this is, right? I see you. Oh and why don’t you like Hudlin? I see you. Those who criticise others…..

Edit: I’m sure you are not prejudiced in any way but accusing someone on such spurious grounds isn’t cool. See my point?

Last edited:

skyblu3sk

Didn't get to watch yesterday so just caught up on extended highlights. Few thoughts Wright incredibly unlucky not to get on the score sheet and he created all three good chances with his positioning and pace that is a real positive. The keeper pulled off some saves you wouldn't expect him to make throwing out legs etc the last one possibly a more easy stop than the first two. It looks like we have focused on getting long shots on target rather than slamming them as hard as possible and worked on getting to the second ball rather than waiting to see the net ripple. Was impressed by Tats goal in that he didn't panic and lash at the ball he picked the spot with very close attention on him. Fast counter attacking football still suits this team, obviously won't work all the time as teams may not play as much in the front foot against us. Millwall had enough chances to get a draw minimum but it was nice to see body's being out on the line and is getting a bit of luck for a change. Overall delighted!

Users who are viewing this thread