Match Thread Millwall FC - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 25th Nov (1 Viewer)

PUSB-We_are_going_up

We won a game…
Dying Family Feud GIF by Steve Harvey

SBT

Although this was a vast improvement, I have to say that Millwall are a really poor team much like Bristol City who we lost to. I was still concerned with the ease with which Millwall turned defence into attack and bypassed our midfield. We could easily have scored 5 or more today had it not been for the wastefulness of Wright and other efforts that needed an extra pass (maybe I’m greedy).
Didn’t think Millwall were that bad, but they looked very fragile in midfield and they obviously didn’t take their chances very well. Even still they created enough chances to score once or twice on another day.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

I’m not sure Eccles was ‘outstanding’ - he had a decent game in spells today but isn’t the answer….Ben Sheaf was immense, and the back three in Kitching, Thomas and Collins looked like they’ve been playing together all season, finally what looks like a settled back line.

Today was a good performance in between a lot of bad ones, the challenge now is to push on and play to that level week in week out, and also in terms of January transfer business where (in my opinion) we still need at least two championship proven midfielders to replace Eccles and Allen, and also a goal scorer.

I still have some question marks over whether Robins has finally realised how to get the best out of the team, or has accidentally stumbled across a formula that works, but time will tell. I’m reserving judgment, but can’t take away from the fact that today was a good Sky Blue day

PUSB!

clint van damme

I’m not sure Eccles was ‘outstanding’ - he had a decent game in spells today but isn’t the answer….Ben Sheaf was immense, and the back three in Kitching, Thomas and Collins looked like they’ve been playing together all season, finally what looks like a settled back line.

Today was a good performance in between a lot of bad ones, the challenge now is to push on and play to that level week in week out, and also in terms of January transfer business where (in my opinion) we still need at least two championship proven midfielders to replace Eccles and Allen, and also a goal scorer.

I still have some question marks over whether Robins has finally realised how to get the best out of the team, or has accidentally stumbled across a formula that works, but time will tell. I’m reserving judgment, but can’t take away from the fact that today was a good Sky Blue day

PUSB!

Eccles was our best midfielder

Brighton Sky Blue

PUSB!
Went in high stakes with that username my friend

Marty

Thought we were excellent through out. Saka was brilliant, had the beating of his man every time. Wright did well but should have buried a couple of decent chances. Great team performance.

wingy

Didn’t think Millwall were that bad, but they looked very fragile in midfield and they obviously didn’t take their chances very well. Even still they created enough chances to score once or twice on another day.
They were only in position on five occasions and he thinks they could of had five.

BlueSkiesForever

You asked me not to respond to your posts and I've done you the courtesy of complying but I can't let this go unanswered
You were calling for 4 3 3 when we would have had to have played Kelly in the middle 3, it would have been a disaster.

We now have the mobility to do it.
I also said Fadz wouldn't work in a 4 and no way Robins would drop him, well I was wrong on that and fair play to Robins, takes balls to drop your captain but this is the way forward by the look of things.

Fair play Clint, and thanks for giving me the courtesy of not replying, I’ve done likewise with you as I generally don’t like arguing on here. But yeah fair enough, I agree that Kelly wouldn’t have worked well and I would have wanted Sheaf in that CDM position too, I think it works well with him and Eccles. I also agree about Fadz, I think the current back line is pretty much perfect and I don’t think I’d change anything tbh.

Really glad Sakamoto started and showed his ability/agility, the midfield felt a lot better today and thought everyone gave their all. It’s not just about the formation admittedly as clearly everyone played on a different level to previous games but I generally think some sort of 4 at the back formation suits our current players a lot better and I’m hoping we continue in the current style.

Martin180

PUSB!
Hi Boosh

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

I would disagree, Sheaf was far better in terms of distribution (Eccles’ passing was very wayward at times) and also positioning - Eccles had a decent game but wasn’t up to the same standard as Sheaf in my opinion, and to be honest he didn’t offer as much as Allen in terms of attacking threat for a proportion of the game either.

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion however 👍🏼

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

I would disagree, Sheaf was far better in terms of distribution (Eccles’ passing was very wayward at times) and also positioning - Eccles had a decent game but wasn’t up to the same standard as Sheaf in my opinion, and to be honest he didn’t offer as much as Allen in terms of attacking threat for a proportion of the game either.

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion however

…and also, poor as Millwall were today they still walked through the midfield a fair bit in the first half, well in both to be honest, and most of the time was because Eccles was out of position and waving his arms around expecting somebody else to cover his mistake

I do rate him and think he has potential to be very good, but he’s not a nailed on championship starter at the minute if we want to get promoted

wingy

Remind me if I'm wrong but the den hasn't been so impregnable to us recently has it?

Last edited:

clint van damme

Fair enough.
I still think Sheaf should be absolutely bossing games but drifts in and out. He was very good last 25.

SeaSeeEffCee

Fantastic win. Sounds like we might have finally found the right formula for this group of players, hopefully the green shoots continue to sprout over the coming weeks.

Didn’t watch so can’t comment on individual performances but delighted for Sakamoto getting his first goal and it sounds like a good performance from him all round. We have to just stick with this team now, build that familiarity and hope that we can get some momentum over what is a very tough run of games.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Remind me if I'm wrong but the den hasn't been so impregnable to us recently has it?
Surprisingly I noticed this earlier, in general our recent record against Millwall has been good. We lost there last season but it’s a game we were 2-0 up in, Hamer got sent off and Moore was on his mad period

Happy_Martian

pusbccfc

We were good. Millwall were awful.

Sakamoto showing again how good he is. Should finally be the start of Robins letting him loose in a forward role.

Collins fills me with so much more confidence than Wilson ever has.

Need to build on this. Tuesday is a big game with both sides on the back of impressive results before a tough run.

Eccles excellent.

Mcbean

What I noticed most that the team looked much fitter , chased more and not too many teapots - Millwall on the other hand looked knackered - very happy tonight - well positive

pusbccfc

What I noticed most that the team looked much fitter , chased more and not too many teapots - Millwall on the other hand looked knackered - very happy tonight - well positive

Probably the best example of why 4-4-2 is a seriously outdated formation, especially with someone like Cuffy at RB.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Eccles was very good today (again) and has been one of our best players this season. If he’s not the answer, then who is?
…that’s the question for the recruitment team in January, but in my opinion someone like Sammy Szmodics, Ilias Chair, or even Jack Cork on loan

shmmeee

IMG_0405.jpeg

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Omg you have literally plucked three names out of the air….

You might aswell said David Seamen, Wayne Rooney and Bryan Robson…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
well apart from the fact they are all current footballers, all proven championship performers, all midfielders, all potentially available / attainable, and also as I said in my post ‘in my opinion…’ ‘somebody like….’

constructive reply though, well done 👍🏼

Fergusons_Beard

well apart from the fact they are all current footballers, all proven championship performers, all midfielders, all potentially available / attainable, and also as I said in my post ‘in my opinion…’ ‘somebody like….’

constructive reply though, well done

Your reply to the OG isn’t even ‘constructive’ Jack Cork is 35 ffs, Smodeks (whatevs) is an attacking midfielder and Chair is a winger.

They really aren’t viable replacements for Eccles.

Why the fook would you replace him anyway? He’s doing a great job for the home grown 23 year old that he is.

Hamer replacement is what we needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread