Migrants crossing from Europe (2 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The reason it happens is because the smugglers make money out of it. It's not in their interests to say "stay in France - the weather's better, the foods nicer and frankly it's a shit show over there at the moment."

Despite the legalities it's not exactly in the interests of the French to try and stop them is it? Put the boot on the other foot and imagine it was illegal immigrants trying to leave Britain for France - would you expect our government to put in a huge effort to stop them? And if they did how much criticism would they get from the same people that have a go at France for doing exactly that?

We talk about how they should stay in France, as they should settle in the first country they come to but how many of them have wandered through Europe to get to France, so the French could argue the exact same case? It's be easier to get over a land border.

Besides which, isn't this government supposed to be the party that's tough on immigration? Priti Patel seems to hate them with a passion. So if the figures are going up so much shouldn't the blame be placed at their door as they're failing (again) in their pledge? Brexit has arguably made it worse because the EU are hardly going to go that hard on a member nation than a non-member. Although to be fair the government are trying to put immigrants off by turning the country into as big a shithole as possible.

How about trying to put yourself into the mind of an immigrant. Would you really want to leave your home, family, friends, culture, language behind for some dangerous trip to somewhere where people will probably hate you, treat you badly, has a cold climate and every part of life will be alien to you? The only reason you'd do it is because the life you have is terrible.

So the way to stop it is to make that life less terrible. And to do that their home countries have to be given help to develop. But mention the word 'aid' and the same people who despise immigration burst a blood vessel. "Why should we bloody pay for them!" Well, given what we've done and taken from around the world over the years it's probably the least we could do.

Fact is, if you want less immigration you're going to have to let these countries become more competitive. So make a choice which you want - Britain to maintain an economic advantage and we have high immigration or help these countries develop with aid etc and have reduced immigration. You can't have your cake and eat it.

fernandopartridge

Why ? Do you actually think there is a case to answer ?
It'll soon be the norm for 1000 a day. The criminals are making a fortune out if this . The more it appears that people are getting across the more will attempt the crossing, the more the criminals line their pockets .
The fact that very little is being done to curb it, particularly on the French side , is tantamount to being party to this trafficking.
We are a soft option. So long as we keep towing these migrants into our ports so the problem will worsen.

Tow them back to France and dump them on their beaches. If it causes an international incident so be it.

1000 a day is a city bigger than Coventry in one year.
It isn't 1k a day though is it? I just asked you to tell me why it was getting out of hand and you first line is an imaginary scenario.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

25,000 as of now means less than 100 per day in 2021, and 13,000 in 8 weeks is 232 per day- where is 3,000 per day coming from?
The same place as it is now: France. Just be patient.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

It isn't 1k a day though is it? I just asked you to tell me why it was getting out of hand and you first line is an imaginary scenario.
So there hasn't been 1000 across in one day then ?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

According to this 828 is the highest recorded, and 12,400 in the year to September 5th, which works out at 50 per day.. what am I missing here with this talk of 3,000 per day?

That's like saying Coventry City's average crowd is currently 10,000, not nearly 20,000 because you're including most of the attendances at Birmingham .

• Haha
Reactions: COV

COV

That's like saying Coventry City's average crowd is currently 10,000, not nearly 20,000 because you're including most of the attendances at Birmingham .

Call it whatever you want, but there are still nowhere near 3,000 every day and you have completely made that figure up.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

So you’ve plucked 3,000 from nowhere basically?
Well, I had it pointed out to me that 1000 a day was nowhere near what the French take in. They take in 3 times as many .
So I upped it to 3000 for him to make it seem fair.
However, based on the absolute explosion in numbers in the last few months, that's an almost inevitable figure because there's nothing to stop it. Just hang about for a few months and then we'll be talking 2000 for starters and no one will bat an eyelid .

Grendel

He never even said 3,000 a day - sigh

COV

Well, I had it pointed out to me that 1000 a day was nowhere near what the French take in. They take in 3 times as many .
So I upped it to 3000 for him to make it seem fair.
However, based on the absolute explosion in numbers in the last few months, that's an almost inevitable figure because there's nothing to stop it. Just hang about for a few months and then we'll be talking 2000 for starters and no one will bat an eyelid .

So you’re confirming you’ve just made it up.

Grendel

Grendel

Now that even Tony has rumbled ROS he should just come clean at this point

tony is
giphy.gif

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Am I ? Your house will be worth a lot more in 10 years than it is now. Have I made that up ?
The records show that migrant crossings are accelerating at an ever increasing rate.
If the French and British govts don't change policy give me one reason why this trend would change. Will they just stop coming ?. Will the traffickers decide they've made too much money and retire ? Big business. Unless it's stopped it will simply get worse.
Two years ago the idea of 1000 a month was unthinkable.The idea of 1000 a day was laughable . Now it's a reality. It's more organised, more efficient, more lucrative.

Grendel

Considering you’ve denied constantly you are Ring of Steel and accused me of making that up..

clint van damme

Am I ? Your house will be worth a lot more in 10 years than it is now. Have I made that up ?
The records show that migrant crossings are accelerating at an ever increasing rate.
If the French and British govts don't change policy give me one reason why this trend would change. Will they just stop coming ?. Will the traffickers decide they've made too much money and retire ? Big business. Unless it's stopped it will simply get worse.
Two years ago the idea of 1000 a day was unthinkable. Now it's a reality. It's more organised, more efficient, more lucrative.

Don't worry, Priti Patel is on the case and we got Brexit done so it shouldn't be a problem.

Evo1883

It did reach 1000 2 days ago .. I'm not sure exactly how many came yesterday or today ..it was just over 900 the day before it hit 1000 too

Evo1883

The numbers fluctuate wildly, so it's best to go on the annual figure , which is 23500 in 316 days to Friday

Every year we have an estimated 87000 undocumented migrants without any immigration status , and let's be honest it's probably alot more than that .

I have no idea what the answer is tbh

Evo1883

I have no idea why we are talking silly bollocks about numbers to make up an artificial argument .

Fact : more are crossing than ever before , and it will continue to rise annually unless something ( which I have no idea what ) is done

fernandopartridge

Evo1883

Selectively quote parts of the story of you like but the premise of ADM remark was an average of 1k. The story later says that over 22300 have arrived this year which is obviously nowhere near 1k or even 100 a day. The whole thing is just Preeti Patel manufacturing consent for her next draconian move.

I did clearly state afterwards that annual figures are what is best to go by .

It's still rising though , and it's also a small part of what is a much larger figure of around 87000 a year who have no immigration status , way of signing on , signing upto to a GP or getting a job

COV

The numbers fluctuate wildly, so it's best to go on the annual figure , which is 23500 in 316 days to Friday

Every year we have an estimated 87000 undocumented migrants without any immigration status , and let's be honest it's probably alot more than that .

I have no idea what the answer is tbh

Even with the undocumented included it’s less than 350 per day, this silly talk of 3,000 is made up nonsense and even the claim it’s already 1,000 every day now is false.

Users who are viewing this thread