Migrants crossing from Europe (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

The thing is even if the french government allowed us to put an asylum centre in Calais and process there i don't think our government would do it. It would go down terribly with their base and be seen as a soft touch helping them over here.

I think the shit situation we're in now is because everybody is too scared to do anything.

skybluetony176

The thing is even if the french government allowed us to put an asylum centre in Calais and process there i don't think our government would do it. It would go down terribly with their base and be seen as a soft touch helping them over here.

I think the shit situation we're in now is because everybody is too scared to do anything.
We already have a consulate office in Calais don’t we? It’s where you go if you’ve lost your passport. We could do it from there if we wish.

NorthernWisdom

Do they got more in France?
Actually, it appears an asylum seeker gets £39.63 a week in this country while their decision is being processed. In France, they get 6.80euros a day. On current exchange rate, they're missing out on 42p a week coming here on rickity old boats, at risk of death. The fools, their spreadsheet was clearly flawed when they started their treck from Syria. Perhaps they were hedging on exchange rates and got it wrong.

skybluetony176

Actually, it appears an asylum seeker gets £39.63 a week in this country while their decision is being processed. In France, they get 6.80euros a day. On current exchange rate, they're missing out on 42p a week coming here on rickity old boats, at risk of death. The fools, their spreadsheet was clearly flawed when they started their treck from Syria. Perhaps they were hedging on exchange rates and got it wrong.
Cost of living is cheaper in France too so that extra 42p a week counts for nothing.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

If you add on the trafficking fee, they are financially worse off then. So, why are they coming?

PVA

There are lots of reasons why they might make the journey.

Firstly, as already discussed, many more stay in France than travel to the UK, so it's not like the majority make the crossing.

Language, obviously is a big one. If you're trying to start a new life somewhere it'd be much easier in a place where you can speak the language wouldn't it?

They may have friends, family or contacts in the UK

The UK is traditionally seen as a prosperous nation with opportunities for all.

In France and many other EU countries you need more paperwork and ID to get work and accommodation than you do in the UK

The traffickers are obviously going to over sell it. 'pay me lots of money to get you to the UK and I promise you'll get a good job, nice flat, etc etc'

Alan Dugdales Moustache

There are lots of reasons why they might make the journey.

Firstly, as already discussed, many more stay in France than travel to the UK, so it's not like the majority make the crossing.

Language, obviously is a big one. If you're trying to start a new life somewhere it'd be much easier in a place where you can speak the language wouldn't it?

They may have friends, family or contacts in the UK

The UK is traditionally seen as a prosperous nation with opportunities for all.

In France and many other EU countries you need more paperwork and ID to get work and accommodation than you do in the UK

The traffickers are obviously going to over sell it. 'pay me lots of money to get you to the UK and I promise you'll get a good job, nice flat, etc etc'
I'd want to come here over France but it doesn't mean I should be allowed to. You're just spouting what the main media outlets are saying.

skybluetony176

One man just on the news has escaped the Taliban, speaks English and very well, wants to be in England so he can bring his wife and daughters to the UK so his daughters can complete their education. Why wouldn’t you risk everything for that chance for your daughters if you were a father. Compared to letting them grow up under the Taliban I’d take the same risk.

Grendel

You can waffle & deflect all on you want, someone coolly announcing they have no sympathy for kids drowning, and saying they brought it on themselves- pretty warped.

Mr macron?

Grendel

PVA

I'd want to come here over France but it doesn't mean I should be allowed to. You're just spouting what the main media outlets are saying.

But they are allowed to.

They can pick any country they like. That's international law. Deal with it.

You're just spouting what a load of right wing dickheads are saying.

Grendel

Alan Dugdales Moustache

One man just on the news has escaped the Taliban, speaks English and very well, wants to be in England so he can bring his wife and daughters to the UK so his daughters can complete their education. Why wouldn’t you risk everything for that chance for your daughters if you were a father. Compared to letting them grow up under the Taliban I’d take the same risk.
Saw it. A well rehearsed story. Did he say he didn't speak French or German ?

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

But they are allowed to.

They can pick any country they like. That's international law. Deal with it.

You're just spouting what a load of right wing dickheads are saying.
Such as ?

Users who are viewing this thread