Message From Our Tony (not the mad one on here) (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

Dear supporter,

First and foremost, I would like to say how proud and delighted I am to be the new manager of Coventry City Football Club.

I took the decision to take a year out of football management to spend some time with my family but the plan was always to return at around this time – but only when the right opportunity came along.

When the chance to manage Coventry City was mentioned to me, it got that fire in my stomach burning again and, as I said above, I am proud to be here.

I am a football romantic at heart and Coventry City, to me, means the Houchen header in 1987, big Killer playing at the back and players with the quality of Gary McAllister.

That may seem like a world away right now but just as my fire began to burn again, I want to do the same for the supporters of this great club.

I know the immediate brief is avoiding relegation but my ambition is to get this club back where it should be. Maybe a decade or so ago, that would have been the Premier League without question.

Now, with the way football has changed, I believe this club should be at least in Championship and should be one of those teams pushing for promotion to the Premier League. I look at clubs like Southampton and Norwich and think why not? The opportunity is there.

But more than that, I want to give the supporters of Coventry a team they can be proud of. A team that they will tell their mates down the pub is an attractive one to watch, wants to play with the ball and score goals.

The people there in 1987 and those supporters who watched the JPT Area Final have not stopped supporting Coventry City. They still own the scarf but, for some, maybe it’s been in the cupboard for a while. For too long.

I want to be able to light the blue touch paper that helps those supporters forget about some of the politics that have surrounded the club because they want to come and watch a team that plays good football and entertains people on a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday evening.

There’s not much time left this season to stamp that mark on the team – especially when there will be so little time on the training pitch because of the busy match schedule and the challenging situation we find ourselves in.

But I think there is a good group of players here and I hope I can help to put a bit of fire in their stomachs too to see what they can achieve for this football club.

In turn, I have no doubt that will mean the people of Coventry and beyond will come out in force to support their team.

ug_QiYwmebawSNH73PoZ7x75xClzDD7lv9gD0mEXfDtaz3sb3WdYUA_reCwA-qNcD2Pmkzn6D6t-izD51JHhGlRWiQJMOxiAmvwu_8FrRepjRAcL=s0-d-e1-ft

Tony Mowbray

covcity4life

i love this geezer

going saturday to see mowbray free flowing football though,if i dont get it i will boo the shit out of him

torchomatic

Shame he couldn't spell his own surname though.

Gosford Green

Though totally agree with what was said.

And no mention of a new stadium and acquiring access to revenue streams 24 hours of the day 365 days of the year. Its a start.

standupforcity

I really hope this message reaches all the right people, and they come out and support him and the team on Sat....I'll be there with a new sense of belief and excitement!

ajsccfc

I didn't know he'd purposely been out of football for the past year rather than just sat on the Managerial Merry-Go-Round™ , that's quite promising.

ajsccfc

This was an email rather than just uploaded? I'm back to never getting any club emails again, ace. The only time I got them at all was when they were useless to me, offering corporate hospitality at Sixfields.

ecky

He sounds a decent bloke bit like pressley....let's see and hope?
He still has both hands tied behind his back though..

standupforcity

He sounds a decent bloke bit like pressley....let's see and hope?
He still has both hands tied behind his back though..

Both decent blokes I agree, but there the similarity ends. Mowbray is a touch cookie, an experienced manager with serious gravitas, who won't be a yes man. He'll take no nonsense from sisu...and can teach them a thing or two about football, and what it's like to be genuinely passionate about something. The sky's are definitely bluer with his arrival...

matesx

anyone half wit who thinks TM is a yes man is talking shite

he's his own man thats guaranteed.

AndreasB

Completely calls the bluff of all the "Im not going back until SISU leave" twats.

Will YOU be going Saturday?

matesx

as always

i hope a couple of 1000 extra fans will show up

ecky

Completely calls the bluff of all the "Im not going back until SISU leave" twats.

Will YOU be going Saturday?

No you unpleasant individual ...

You can't have a discussion can you without resorting to name calling?

skybluebeduff

If SISU remain, then he's beating around the wrong bush. He clearly don't know what we've been through during their tenure does he?

torchomatic

Ah, doesn't take long for the conspiracies to kick in. :facepalm: Just like an episode of the Invaders. Tony Mowbray's email to fans. A Quinn Martin Production.

I had the email as well, unlikely he wrote it.

ajsccfc

I've never really bought the idea of a 'yes man' in general, it just seems an easy way to criticise a manager people don't like.

torchomatic

Shame he didn't write it, eh? :sarcasm:

Though totally agree with what was said.

And no mention of a new stadium and acquiring access to revenue streams 24 hours of the day 365 days of the year. Its a start.

skybluebeduff

"I look at the teams like Southampton and Norwich and think why not?"

Er because they invest in their squads? and SISU once did 6 years ago, since then, fuck all... just scraps mate.

Reality is not in order is it?

torchomatic

Yeah, probably best to just to fucking moan constantly and slag everything off on a message board. Nice one. The future's bright.

Er because they invest in their squads? and SISU once did 6 years ago, since then, fuck all... just scraps mate.

skybluebeduff

Yeah, probably best to just to fucking moan constantly and slag everything off on a message board. Nice one. The future's bright.

Or just sit and watch the inevitable, take yourself out of fantasy land mate.

Have you got anything to add what I just wrote about Southampton and Norwich investment whilst in league one compared to us? thought not...

The irony when you slate another user about moaning, jesus wept!

Sky Blue Dal

Exactly what I thought!

Though it was a good appointment by the club, I am just not as excited as many on here about TM bringing success to the club. The underlying problem we have is still there in SISU.

I can't see them investing in our club.

Last edited:

skybluebeduff

This is Southamptons reality of League One:
On 17 July 2009 the club confirmed the appointment of Alan Pardew as the new First Team Manager.[SUP][3][/SUP] On the opening day of the season Saints forced a 1–1 draw against Millwall, with Matthew Paterson netting the club's first goal in League One. Following this, the Saints made their first big signing under Markus Liebherr as they unveiled new striker Rickie Lambert who was purchased on 10 August 2009, for an initial £800,000, which could rise to £1m subject to appearances, from fellow League One side Bristol Rovers.[SUP][4][/SUP]Liebherr also brought in Italian businessman Nicola Cortese to look after the club's business interests on his behalf.
As well as Rickie Lambert, Pardew was given the funds to complete a string of other signings to rebuild the squad including: Dean Hammond, Radhi Jaïdi, Graeme Murty, Dan Harding, David Connolly, Michail Antonio, Papa Waigo, Lee Barnard, José Fonte, Danny Seaborne, Jon Otsemobor and Jason Puncheon, meaning that by the end of the January transfer window, Southampton had spent over £3 million on players, a significantly larger amount than any other League one club.

We come no where near it!

Users who are viewing this thread