Meeting with Joy Seppala & Dave Boddy - Thursday 27th February 2020 (1 Viewer)

oldfiver

TBH Medieval Spon Street does not work, if I was in charge and had all the cash. I'd be looking to lift Spon St again and recreate it elsewhere as well as demolishing the Sky Dome and Ikea. Then we'd have a large site fit for the new stadium which I'd name Spongate.

Have you been in Spon Street lately?

Fast food takeaways, drug dealers and a Sheesha outlet complete with plastic palm trees (dont ask how they got planning ) very little medieval left ' best removed

Gynnsthetonic

Do we really want to move to a farmers field on the outskirts of the city though, what about existing sites like Alvis Retail Park, Coventry Buisness Park on Dolomite Ave by Village Hotel, couple of massive empty units there the size of a football pitch, right on A45, Canley Station, Walkable from City Centre, Sandy Lane Industrial Estate on the market think going to be houses, Carbodies behind Sytner plans just drawn up for Houses, opposite the the 3 Horseshoes between Stones Stanton Rd and Foleshill Rd what was Webster’s brick Yard and part Courtaulds. Surely we keep banging on about a community club would love the club back in the heart of the community. All pie in the sky as I think the owners want and will get the Ricoh eventually.

oldfiver

The Shish-a might be new, but I’ve been buying kebabs and drugs on Spon Street for a good twenty years!

It is not the same as was intended though is it?
Also the Council do not want the small traders and shops
Rent increases of 40% plus to long standing tenants then when they move they double that because food outlets command more
Disgraceful they way they have let this decline

shmmeee

It is not the same as was intended though is it?
Also the Council do not want the small traders and shops
Rent increases of 40% plus to long standing tenants then when they move they double that because food outlets command more
Disgraceful they way they have let this decline

You’re not wrong. They’ve not got independent shops right at all and have always seemed to see the city centre rents as a cash cow and not a way to motivate new business. Even FarGo is a bit of a mess. Some of it is general changes over time, but they still don’t seem to have realised it’s not the 90s any more.

oldfiver

You’re not wrong. They’ve not got independent shops right at all and have always seemed to see the city centre rents as a cash cow and not a way to motivate new business. Even FarGo is a bit of a mess. Some of it is general changes over time, but they still don’t seem to have realised it’s not the 90s any more.

At least two and possibly three more retail independants will go from Spon Street in the next couple of months
Once people reach TJ Hughes from inside the precinct they do not go any furher and the Council have not promoted what was advertised as one of their jewels
Fleet Street, Spon Street and Corporation Street to the Burges will be mainly food and Chinese students
IKEA will go the same way

Gibbo

Have I missed something or is Seppala much more involved now, and we are seeing a lot less of Fisher? Can that be over interpreted?

shmmeee

Have I missed something or is Seppala much more involved now, and we are seeing a lot less of Fisher? Can that be over interpreted?

Fisher seems to have been on permanent ground hunting since Boddy arrived. TBH if the stadium is a ploy to get rid of Fisher I might forgive Joy.

oldfiver

The answer is the current situation is an "owner" problem that only they can resolve. For some time have you not noticed the segregation from CCFC and SISU ?
I think from Pete and Mark's summary it is evident the "ground hunting" is with JS and her agents

Fergusons_Beard

Stop. It’s shorthand. These kind of semantic games help nothing.

Shmeee I agree these semantic games help nothing.

Continually saying over and over again that it’s ‘legals’ when it very clearly isn’t- is just another way of keeping up the narrative.

So why don’t YOU stop the semantic games?

It’s just a complaint pal-get over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

shmmeee

Shmeee I agree these semantic games help nothing.

Continually saying over and over again that it’s ‘legals’ when it very clearly isn’t- is just another way of keeping up the narrative.

So why don’t YOU stop the semantic games?

It’s just a complaint pal-get over it.

To the average Joe it’s all part of an effort to challenge the sale of the Ricoh through recourse to governmental institutions. “Legals” “complaint” “action” all mean the same thing basically. Language is loose weave, we aren’t in a courtroom. Get over it.

I notice the interview with Robins he says Joy wants to “do what’s right” and he agrees with that. Says a lot as that’s not the message we’ve got on here. Why isn’t he saying “Wasps need to drop the indemnity”? Or “Wasps need to sort it out”? The message from Sisu if you listen properly is all about the wish to carry on in the courts/complaining areas :)p)

Nick

Administrator
To the average Joe it’s all part of an effort to challenge the sale of the Ricoh through recourse to governmental institutions. “Legals” “complaint” “action” all mean the same thing basically. Language is loose weave, we aren’t in a courtroom. Get over it.

I notice the interview with Robins he says Joy wants to “do what’s right” and he agrees with that. Says a lot as that’s not the message we’ve got on here. Why isn’t he saying “Wasps need to drop the indemnity”? Or “Wasps need to sort it out”? The message from Sisu if you listen properly is all about the wish to carry on in the courts/complaining areas :)p)
Are you still completely ignoring that they agreed to drop it?

I'm not sure why you keep ignoring particular things.

Maybe the issue here is that the average Joe has been misinformed?

Grendel

Are you still completely ignoring that they agreed to drop it?

I'm not sure why you keep ignoring particular things.

Maybe the issue here is that the average Joe has been misinformed?

Hes also ignoring the fact Mr Robins has frequently labelled Coventry council a disgrace

Fergusons_Beard

But the point is Shmeee they definitely Don’t mean the same thing.

It’s spin and to the ‘average Joe’ legals means going through the courts when this is very clearly a complaint.

Again-you reiterating the point again only serves as a pointer towards your bias.

shmmeee

But the point is Shmeee they definitely Don’t mean the same thing.

It’s spin and to the ‘average Joe’ legals means going through the courts when this is very clearly a complaint.

Again-you reiterating the point again only serves as a pointer towards your bias.

It does mean the same thing. It’s shorthand for a cluster concept of general attempts to reverse the sale of the Ricoh. You blather on about bias all you want but it’s a weak as fuck point to try and make and serves literally no purpose than tired points scoring. It doesn’t move the debate forward or shed any light, it’s just you trying to show how you’re “better informed” than the person you’re arguing with.

It’s the equivalent to when someone’s DNS breaks and they say “the Internet is down” and I go “aha! You mean the World Wide Web, the Internet is the network of machines not the protocols for delivering websites. I am very smart.” Yeah that’s great mate but I still can’t access Google.

Or my mate who whoever he arrives at a house and is told to remove his shoes goes “but I’m wearing trainers”.

Pretending to not understand common language really isn’t the all conquering win you seem to think it is.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
It does mean the same thing. It’s shorthand for a cluster concept of general attempts to reverse the sale of the Ricoh. You blather on about bias all you want but it’s a weak as fuck point to try and make and serves literally no purpose than tired points scoring. It doesn’t move the debate forward or shed any light, it’s just you trying to show how you’re “better informed” than the person you’re arguing with.

It’s the equivalent to when someone’s DNS breaks and they say “the Internet is down” and I go “aha! You mean the World Wide Web, the Internet is the network of machines not the protocols for delivering websites. I am very smart.” Yeah that’s great mate but I still can’t access Google.

Or my mate who whoever he arrives at a house and is told to remove his shoes goes “but I’m wearing trainers”.

Pretending to not understand common language really isn’t the all conquering win you seem to think it is.

Wasps want it to mean the same thing so they can just say "drop the legal action" in reply to anything put to them.

Nothing wrong with people being educated on actual facts, is there?

It's the same as when people keep saying that Wasps are being sued. They aren't.

Sky Blue Pete

Wasps want it to mean the same thing so they can just say "drop the legal action" in reply to anything put to them.

Nothing wrong with people being educated on actual facts, is there?

It's the same as when people keep saying that Wasps are being sued. They aren't.
He makes a good point though! My real annoyance over the Eu complaint is that Sisu weren’t transparent about it. Even so discussions still continued after wasps knew about it.

When I’ve spoken to parties involved wasps absolutely consider the complaint as legal action and it’s clear in what the trust put out that that’s the case too. They do need to be challenged on that the complaint is against ccc not wasps and I’m pretty sure that ccc have just passed things to central government too.

usskyblue

At the end of the day does it really matter what we call it? The sale SHOULD be investigated and no one in their right mind would sign the fucking thing.

Nick

Administrator
He makes a good point though! My real annoyance over the Eu complaint is that Sisu weren’t transparent about it. Even so discussions still continued after wasps knew about it.

When I’ve spoken to parties involved wasps absolutely consider the complaint as legal action and it’s clear in what the trust put out that that’s the case too. They do need to be challenged on that the complaint is against ccc not wasps and I’m pretty sure that ccc have just passed things to central government too.

Of course Wasps will, both them and CCC only say "drop the legals" in reply to things to get the focus away from them being called out.

As far as I know it isn't past the first stages yet? If the EU think something is wrong then they will then decide to take action, this will be the EU v CCC won't it?

The Trust put out what they are told to put out, let's face it. We shouldn't really start relying on them for truths.

Sky Blue Pete

Of course Wasps will, both them and CCC only say "drop the legals" in reply to things to get the focus away from them being called out.

As far as I know it isn't past the first stages yet? If the EU think something is wrong then they will then decide to take action, this will be the EU v CCC won't it?

The Trust put out what they are told to put out, let's face it. We shouldn't really start relying on them for truths.
Unless it confirms what we think to be the case

usskyblue

The Trust are a waste of space unless there is change. We still have zero feedback on online membership and voting that was proposed (and assistance offered) in January.

Sky Blue Pete

The Trust are a waste of space unless there is change. We still have zero feedback on online membership and voting that was proposed (and assistance offered) in January.
They are one of 15 supporters groups on the supporters forum. They obviously consider themselves as first amongst equals and they are not. Any contact with them (which has been a lot and useful) is with an aim to influencing parties to talk and then we can think about other less important stuff

usskyblue

They are one of 15 supporters groups on the supporters forum. They obviously consider themselves as first amongst equals and they are not. Any contact with them (which has been a lot and useful) is with an aim to influencing parties to talk and then we can think about other less important stuff

People keep barking on about 15 supporters groups. So what? Aren't the Trust our ‘official’ fan representatives to the EFL? With their links to the media they are also considered our voice as supporters to the media.

They need to radically change but there’s no sign they will, they remain hard on SISU and soft on Wasps. Which is still not representing the view of the majority.

Nick

Administrator

They seem to be constantly against the other supporter's groups. Let's not forget a Trust board member trying to make out other groups who have seemed to work wonders recently were "SISU Lovers".

Of course we need all parties to talk and I think your balance would have more chance of achieving that than the 2 bit PR lackies.

What happened to Neil and CJ sorting engagement? Nothing, they will stay quiet until there's something to shout about with SISU and then Neil and CJ will be sent out to try and defend the stance and pretend people are making things up and insulting them. It's the same every time.

Sky Blue Pete

People keep barking on about 15 supporters groups. So what? Aren't the Trust our ‘official’ fan representatives to the EFL? With their links to the media they are also considered our voice as supporters to the media.

They need to radically change but there’s no sign they will, they remain hard on SISU and soft on Wasps. Which is still not representing the view of the majority.
These things change. I’m pretty certain the club don’t accept the trust as the voice of the fans and although I’ve not spoken to them efl entertain conversations but certainly don’t act as if they are the voice of the fans. We do need a unified voice of the fans though but I think the thought is that a couple of people have tried and it didn’t change. I am trying to ensure I can make their trust board meeting on Monday 16th. I have been invited

Nick

Administrator
These things change. I’m pretty certain the club don’t accept the trust as the voice of the fans and although I’ve not spoken to them efl entertain conversations but certainly don’t act as if they are the voice of the fans. We do need a unified voice of the fans though but I think the thought is that a couple of people have tried and it didn’t change. I am trying to ensure I can make their trust board meeting on Monday 16th. I have been invited

The issue is when they misinform people whether it is via the Telegraph or National Media.

Then they go and cuddle Blackpool / Charlton etc fans and they exchange made up stories to get each other worked up and it goes from there.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
The Shish-a might be new, but I’ve been buying kebabs and drugs on Spon Street for a good twenty years!
That explains a lot about your posts ;-)

City centres need businesses to be located there and functioning for a thriving city, the people spend money every day and retail/leisure survive successfully off them. Ideally, some reasonable non student residential as well as student resi can then help fill the other void spend times for those retail/leisure outlets.
It’s basic economics and place making but something this council has not understood for 30 years. I thought when they attracted ST that they had but stopped before no others coming.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread