Transfer Rumour McCallum..... (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

So if we got £10m for McCallum he would become the 56th most expensive left back, just not recently - but of all time

£2m more than Andy Robertson who was a full Scotland international, had played 99 games for Hull, including promotion from the Championship and a full season in the Premier League

In midfield context, this would be the equivalent of a £32m price tag on Maddison or Bayliss when they were playing for us

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

tbf I see the logic if he really is of obvious potential, but the likes of @Terry Gibson's perm have been hammering him as not good enough, and it's not like anyone's decided we have the next Bale up to this point.

So he's at the might make it stage. Sure, we might get more for him if we held off selling him for a season or two. He might also stagnate. In an ideal world we'd go for the former approach, but we've got a Birmingham rent and new stadium to pay for!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I reckon we'd take £1m + 15%+ of further transfers + 250k appearance fees + 500k England cap.

I'm not sure with McCallum if we should go more all out fee just in case - he's still got a lot of developing to do to make it at a high level IMO

Frank Sidebottom

So if we got £10m for McCallum he would become the 56th most expensive left back, just not recently - but of all time

£2m more than Andy Robertson who was a full Scotland international, had played 99 games for Hull, including promotion from the Championship and a full season in the Premier League

In midfield context, this would be the equivalent of a £32m price tag on Maddison or Bayliss when they were playing for us
Imagine the stadium we wouldn't have built with that kind of money.

no_loyalty

The young Liverpool right winger Harvey Elliott looks useful, wouldn't mind him here on loan as part of the deal.

SkyblueBazza

It'd be more than 5% sell on. We got 10% (I think) on Maddison and 15% on Wilson. Would think at least 10%.

Think 1m to 1.5m is probably a realistic up front fee. I'm not sure it's worth doing at 500k. If we get promoted and he plays well in the Championship, he becomes a 5m player. Got to balance it out a bit. Only worth doing if it allows us to reinforce the squad now.
I think SISU would be thinking more about quick cash-in to put towards a goalscorer in January...with larger future payback. Especially give Mason can meanwhile quietly continue develop in the background if he stays on loan to season's end

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ccfchoi87

Ultimately, if the player wants to leave, they will leave. The talk of fees is pretty redundant and we will simply sell to the highest bidder.

pipkin73

Ultimately, if the player wants to leave, they will leave. The talk of fees is pretty redundant and we will simply sell to the highest bidder.
Liverpool don't pay over the odds, Man Utd do. Need to get one of them scouts to represent Man Utd

SkyblueBazza

Liverpool don't pay over the odds, Man Utd do. Need to get one of them scouts to represent Man Utd
No?
Iago Aspas €10.8m in 2013
Alberto Aquilani €20m in 2009
Mario Ballotelli €20m in 2014
Christian Benteke €45m in 2018
Andy Carroll €41.3m in 2012

McCallum would be a snip at £500k

SlowerThanPlatt

No?

But all the players you’ve named were players playing at the top level, internationals some, and are in no way comparable to what a club would pay for a L1 player...

Terry Gibson's perm

No?

A different owner and management team bought most of these.

Terry Gibson's perm

We need to get as much as we can upfront and not bother too much with future payments as the odds on England appearances etc are limited

SlowerThanPlatt

Well this link shows what mostly Championship clubs pay for L1 left-hand...

League One - Transfer records

Yeah I posted that on the last page I think. The most a L1 defender has gone for is £3.5m but that was after 121 appearances

Henry made 57 appearances in comparison to McCallum’s 26 and he was linked with all the big names too before going to Brentford

Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City and Tottenham on the trail of 'the new Ashley Cole'

SkyblueBazza

A different owner and management team bought most of these.

A different owner & management team for the vast majority of example moves from L1 to Premiership clubs involving different players is evident in every transfer.

The point was that Liverpool don't throw money away. I don't think any club really does. They assess the maximum what they think a player is worth to THEM & then try to get them for a lot less...regardless of age & experience.

In McCallum's case they obviously see some potential in him which I suspect would make the bidding settle at £500k - then it's down to what we can negotiate for add-ons if it all comes good.

Briles

The young Liverpool right winger Harvey Elliott looks useful, wouldn't mind him here on loan as part of the deal.

I thought that but then realised hes only 16, dont think league one would suit him at the mo.

Rhian Brewster might be worth a shout though

Limey

Money needs to filter down to the bottom clubs somehow as well as reversing the trend of big clubs scooping up all the youngsters on a whim. Does nothing for the game.

Do I really think McCallum is worth £10m? Of course not. Was trying to make an argument for not settling for 500k as many appear to be happy for. No complaints then when/if he wins a champions League medal in the next 2 or 3 years (although we'd be happy for the lad of course) because that's the calibre of player they are trying to nurture.

We've done all the leg work finding him and getting him into pro level football. That's got to be worth more than 500k.

SlowerThanPlatt

Money needs to filter down to the bottom clubs somehow as well as reversing the trend of big clubs scooping up all the youngsters on a whim. Does nothing for the game.

Do I really think McCallum is worth £10m? Of course not. Was trying to make an argument for not settling for 500k as many appear to be happy for. No complaints then when/if he wins a champions League medal in the next 2 or 3 years (although we'd be happy for the lad of course) because that's the calibre of player they are trying to nurture.

We've done all the leg work finding him and getting him into pro level football. That's got to be worth more than 500k.

We took him off Herne Bay, a much smaller club than us, for free I think as he wasn’t on contract there. Do you think some of the fee should go to them?

It’s a cycle. Bigger clubs will take our young players. We will take young players from lower down and players from bigger clubs not deemed good enough.

The big clubs owe us nothing we’ve took Morgan Williams, Drysdale, Allasani, Newton, Bosma etc.

Last edited:

Limey

We took him off Herne Bay, a much smaller club than us, for free I think as he wasn’t on contract there. Do you think some of the fee should go to them?

It’s a cycle. Bigger clubs will take our young players. We will take young players from lower down and players from bigger clubs not deemed good enough.

The big clubs owe us nothing we’ve took Morgan Williams, Drysdale, Allasani, Newton, Bosma etc.

In principle I agree (and it's harsh on them tbf) but the freedom of movement ruling when out of contract negates that of course.
The transfer system is broken. Seeing players go for £80-90m when clubs are going bust just highlights how the lower end of the pyramid gets shafted all the time. Can't see why anyone would argue about getting more from the prem clubs in these sort of instances when they're just casting a net over any potential talent.

NorthernWisdom

I'd hope Herne Bay would get something out of it tbh

lifeskyblue

Least we could have done was play a pre season friendly against them ...would have given them a bit of a pay day, the team a workout and us fans a weekend on the Kent coast.
To be fair one of our fans from down that way tried to get that arranged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cc84cov

McCallum will financing the jan striker but I think Joy will go and sign the striker herself being as robins struggles in that department once she’s finished hand bag shopping ;)

HerneBayGaz

I'd hope Herne Bay would get something out of it tbh

Your right Herne Bay should have got something out of the deal. I spoke to their chairman last summer. The reason Herne Bay never got anything out of the deal is because he wasn't contracted at the time. So they took him for nothing. The Herne Bay chairman wanted to play a friendly. But Coventry were not interested. It may well happen next season though.

SlowerThanPlatt

Your right Herne Bay should have got something out of the deal. I spoke to their chairman last summer. The reason Herne Bay never got anything out of the deal is because he wasn't contracted at the time. So they took him for nothing. The Herne Bay chairman wanted to play a friendly. But Coventry were not interested. It may well happen next season though.

And that’s why it’s nonsensical for our fans to complain about what bigger clubs do to us

covcity4life

Take the money. Hes not shown enuff for me yet to make me regret it like maddison and baylisd going

Tbf started brightly yday but then got poorer as game wrnt on

SBAndy

Take the money. Hes not shown enuff for me yet to make me regret it like maddison and baylisd going

Tbf started brightly yday but then got poorer as game wrnt on

The one really disappointing aspect for me was how high up the pitch his starting position was. For a few of the goal kicks he was beyond the striker! Also when we recycled possession neither wing back dropped into shape, instead staying far too high and not giving a good option to the CB on the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread