McCallum to QPR (1 Viewer)

steve101

Disappointed that we couldn't get him again if available on loan to the Championship

Alkhen

Would have backed him at a better club than QPR but never felt it was likely Norwich would send him back here for a 3rd loan. He needs new challenges. Good luck to him.

Robins isn't thick he will have plans to bolster the defence. Get the training camp done and whatever the covid situation sorted and we'll see new faces. No panic

CDK

Thought McCallum really improved from the start of last season and feel he was a major confident key member of the team by the end of the season .He seemed to have been coached very well and says a lot about robins and his staff with the work they put in also about acedemy staff also .
I trust robins to get the defensive players we need.

slowpoke

He wasnt just a defender. He will be a massive gap in our overall play and attacking threat. He was the provider for crosses that lead to goals and his long throw was a big tactic in our armoury that provided several goals.
Its a massive hole to fill in the team
Agree with what you say but let’s not panic I’m sure Robins will have someone lined up preferably a permanent.

steve101

He wasnt just a defender. He will be a massive gap in our overall play and attacking threat. He was the provider for crosses that lead to goals and his long throw was a big tactic in our armoury that provided several goals.
Totally agree. He was also very good in the air.

shmmeee

Let’s not get carried away. Our left side was our poorest when we were playing out by some distance. McCallums xA per game was behind both Dacosta and Giles (Giles by some distance). His crossing and general use of the ball in the opponents half were poor. When we meant more direct and was challenging for headers in their half and lobbing they ball in he was useful, but Luke Shaw he was not.

He’s an excellent young defender, but we could have done much much better going forwards.

hamil99

Facebook User
You never know what the loan asking price for McCallum is this season, especially after he did so well with us last year. Maybe robins thought he could get better for the money.

slowpoke

I liked McCallum a good player and good full back but let’s not go overboard he’s no Paulo Mancini he will be replaced Robins will have someone lined up of that I’m certain. This is a very different window this year lots of players available, no panic.

clint van damme

Let’s not get carried away. Our left side was our poorest when we were playing out by some distance. McCallums xA per game was behind both Dacosta and Giles (Giles by some distance). His crossing and general use of the ball in the opponents half were poor. When we meant more direct and was challenging for headers in their half and lobbing they ball in he was useful, but Luke Shaw he was not.

He’s an excellent young defender, but we could have done much much better going forwards.

Which just shows how wrong stats can be because for all his faults he was clearly far superior to Dacosta and Giles.

David O'Day

Yeah he wasn't great given the wingback system means he need to be an outlet wide for us. We need a Ryan Giles type that can actually defend ;)

Irish Sky Blue

At defending sure. Going forward, sorry but he wasn’t.
I think Dacosta has been very disappointing so far, apart from his performance against Forest. I thought he was really weak in defence and his distribution and crossing when going forward was poor. He tends to thump first time crosses into the box more in hope than in judgement.
I wouldnt write him off but I think he has to make huge improvements to be a useful Championship squad member.

Watching the games, not just looking at stats, I think McCallum is by far the better player both defensively and attacking wise.

AFCCOVENTRY

I think Dacosta has been very disappointing so far, apart from his performance against Forest. I thought he was really weak in defence and his distribution and crossing when going forward was poor. He tends to thump first time crosses into the box more in hope than in judgement.
I wouldnt write him off but I think he has to make huge improvements to be a useful Championship squad member.

Watching the games, not just looking at stats, I think McCallum is by far the better player both defensively and attacking wise.

The emergence of Pask probably means Dacosta is 3rd in the pecking order for RB.

shmmeee

Yeah he wasn't great given the wingback system means he need to be an outlet wide for us. We need a Ryan Giles type that can actually defend ;)

Im increasingly thinking we need two fullbacks and to go four at the back.

Disagree. Dacostas use of the ball going forward is much better, as is his willingness to take players on and his crossing.

McCallums use of the ball was truly terrible at times as was his crossing.

He’s a very good LB and a nice young man, but we don’t have to pretend he’s the perfect footballer to make that point.

Frostie

The emergence of Pask probably means Dacosta is 3rd in the pecking order for RB.

Not for me.
Pask is a CB who did a job for us there when we were desperate but looks really uncomfortable with it. The emergence of Burroughs &, even the game Eccles had there, hopefully means he can concentrate on earning a game in his natural position instead.

Dacosta clearly has flaws but I think could come good, needs more time to adapt.

David O'Day

Not for me.
Pask is a CB who did a job for us there when we were desperate but looks really uncomfortable with it. The emergence of Burroughs &, even the game Eccles had there, hopefully means he can concentrate on earning a game in his natural position instead.

Dacosta clearly has flaws but I think could come good, needs more time to adapt.

Dacosta has a lot of the raw attributes needed, he just needs to learn to mentally defend.

He was never meant to play as many games as he did last season.

David O'Day

Disagree. Dacostas use of the ball going forward is much better, as is his willingness to take players on and his crossing.

He’s a very good LB and a nice young man, but we don’t have to pretend he’s the perfect footballer to make that point.

Haven't got the wide players to be any good with a flat back 4

KenilworthSkyBlue

Given his crossing and forward play were probably the poorest part to his game I really don't think we'll miss it all that much?

You're making him out to be far better than he was. He was an able defender but had much to improve upon.

Marty

Have to disagree, McCallum is far better then Da Costa and Giles. Both defensively and attacking.

Giles has the heart of a pea and quite poor positionly, pulled out of absolutely everything, Da Costa's crossing ability consists of him just hitting it as hard as possible into the box. McCallum will be a top end Championship player, can't say the same for the others.

RegTheDonk

At defending sure. Going forward, sorry but he wasn’t.
We've lost dibs on a proven asset so hopefully Robins has a worthwhile alternative, as regardless of playing left or right side, I'd favor him over Decosta any day. A few decent crosses doesn't make up for his lack of positional awareness or defensive guile.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not for me.

Burroughs isn't a RB, RW or RWB by nature as far as I know but a attacking midfielder who can go a bit wider if necessary (SBChimp I'm sure can correct me if I'm wrong). Eccles isn't either - he's a DCM.

I'm sure they'd be willing to play there if asked but I feel we'd be doing them a disservice to look at them to play there regularly. A bit like we ruined Osbourne playing him at RB when his natural position was as a disruptor and ball-winning DCM.

I think of the three Pask is actually the most suited to RWB, but again I feel he would be better as a right sided centre back, esp as he has a bit of pace which we lack in our current defence. Blaine Rowe I think is a more natural right back if we're looking to bring someone through in that position but it depends on how he is progressing in the development team.

Dacosta is a natural right sided player but he needs to be far more disciplined in his positioning. Maybe (hopefully) he can be trained to do that in which case he'd be the natural back-up for Dabo.

Users who are viewing this thread