21/22 Summer transfer mega-thread (13 Viewers)

blunted

The defence as it stands is weaker than it was last season when we conceded over 60 goals. Sure we are working hard on it but I’m getting summer of 2016 vibes from how things are going.
It is weaker, apart from Moore being an upgrade on Marosi (hopefully). Osti and McCallum have left the building and although both of them took time to find their feet in the Championship, they both finished strongly and looked good. They will both get better next year you would assume. The two players I thought would transition seamlessly to the Championship Rose and Dabo both had dreadful seasons due to injury. Rose began to look good near the end of the season but it was only for a few matches. Hyam was exposed for pace on occasion and I think that was why we took Ryan Giles on loan to add some pace to that side. Unfortunately, Giles was not good enough defensively. Hyam was better after a rest. There were times before Rotherham away we were flirting with relegation so hopefully Rose and Dabo will come back to a decent Championship level. That still leaves a massive gap down the left. Cant remember us being seriously linked with any left sided defenders other than Baker who resigned for Bristol City. Read is an unknown quantity may be great or need time. Either MR is going to pull a surprise or it will be loans that usually take time to get up to speed. In 2016, I think we had old school recruitment which translates as an old boys network of recommendations and players on the way down who had been good once. Now things are much more technical with personal contacts tagged on. I'm hoping Lawrence is an upgrade on Farndon and he can point us in the direction of an up and coming Prem defender. Bright good signing? Haven't a clue.

Brighton Sky Blue

It is weaker, apart from Moore being an upgrade on Marosi (hopefully). Osti and McCallum have left the building and although both of them took time to find their feet in the Championship, they both finished strongly and looked good. They will both get better next year you would assume. The two players I thought would transition seamlessly to the Championship Rose and Dabo both had dreadful seasons due to injury. Rose began to look good near the end of the season but it was only for a few matches. Hyam was exposed for pace on occasion and I think that was why we took Ryan Giles on loan to add some pace to that side. Unfortunately, Giles was not good enough defensively. Hyam was better after a rest. There were times before Rotherham away we were flirting with relegation so hopefully Rose and Dabo will come back to a decent Championship level. That still leaves a massive gap down the left. Cant remember us being seriously linked with any left sided defenders other than Baker who resigned for Bristol City. Read is an unknown quantity may be great or need time. Either MR is going to pull a surprise or it will be loans that usually take time to get up to speed. In 2016, I think we had old school recruitment which translates as an old boys network of recommendations and players on the way down who had been good once. Now things are much more technical with personal contacts tagged on. I'm hoping Lawrence is an upgrade on Farndon and he can point us in the direction of an up and coming Prem defender. Bright good signing? Haven't a clue.

What I meant with those comparisons is less that we are recruiting in the same way and more where we will be in relation to the sides around us. Players who will improve us will be much harder to acquire because of the others coming in for them. Despite misrepresentation to the contrary it is not a forecast of guaranteed doom

blunted

Notable absentees from what I’ve seen: O’Hare, Ngandu, Drysdale, Tavares. COVID related most likely
This Delta variant spreads like crazy. I know loads of people who have had whilst being really sensible about following the original rules. Hope O'Hare is not being headhunted.

blunted

What I meant with those comparisons is less that we are recruiting in the same way and more where we will be in relation to the sides around us. Players who will improve us will be much harder to acquire because of the others coming in for them. Despite misrepresentation to the contrary it is not a forecast of guaranteed doom
Yeah, I agree with you where we are at the moment defense wise and it is concerning. Appears to be really difficult to attract quality players to improve what we have. We do seem to be at a big disadvantage with our monetary position. I'm at the wait and see stage and did not interpret your initial post as one of doom more of realism.

NortonSkyBlue

I’m fine with Moore, Gyo and Waghorn but Bright makes little sense to me.
If Bright signs then it is a Hail Mary for sure, but having seen him rip through the opposition in league one, a focused Bright is something different and a game changer. I would welcome him but would be aware that somewhere along the road could be a problem. Forewarned and all that.

Brighton Sky Blue

If Bright signs then it is a Hail Mary for sure, but having seen him rip through the opposition in league one, a focused Bright is something different and a game changer. I would welcome him but would be aware that somewhere along the road could be a problem. Forewarned and all that.

Of course, but he hasn’t shown decent form in 2 seasons and his last football has been at a terrible standard league. If he’s dynamite in training and his head seems fixed then go for it, I just find it unlikely.

JimmyHillsbeard

McCallum is going to QPR apparently. I never thought it made sense for Norwich or him to send him back here again but I would have happily had him back again. Also I confess that I don’t think of QPR as the promotion chasers that he should have been looking for.

shmmeee

You've changed your tune, he was a shite weak link according to you a few months back

He was a few months back. Got better when we stopped trying to play out from the back.

I’m more digging at the constant excuses people have for the lack of signings than begging that we signed Sam back. Though I’d have taken him if there’s no one better out there as he knows the set up.

COV

He was a few months back. Got better when we stopped trying to play out from the back.

I’m more digging at the constant excuses people have for the lack of signings than begging that we signed Sam back. Though I’d have taken him if there’s no one better out there as he knows the set up.

Whats the mad panic?

Are we massively behind other clubs in terms of how many we've signed?

Users who are viewing this thread