Matt Godden (1 Viewer)

higgs

For 750k is he worth it? Anyone disappointed with his contribution for that fee would you expect more goals out of him?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He's overlooked in this shape we play, 3421 his jobs to keep the ball and get forward runs from midfielders linked up and think he does that well, frustrating how much he's offside I get that but I think as for a lone striker he brings just as much as biamou or Baka would and will always work his socks off for us

stevefloyd

I said in the week he works hard but for me too deep instead of giving the opposition defenders a torrid time

usskyblue

help-island-one.jpg

pipkin73

I said in the week he works hard but for me too deep instead of giving the opposition defenders a torrid time
He Is too deep but lately teams are trying the high press on us from KO, that means the midfield are further back so he has too or he won't touch the ball. He is working hard for the team and doing the best he can in that formation. He also seems to be tighter marked since his 2 hatricks.

cc84cov

Doesn’t suit lone role for me,past 3 games seen him dominated by opponents defences we need more,Max people have their differences on etc but for me he can finish but also head the ball & hold it up well defo think max starts Tuesday night,if we are gonna challenge auto we need a striker who is scoring regular and is able to hold that ball up bring others into play,hence why a few of us were banging on all January about drafting in another option up front.

If Bakayoko performed how Godden has past few games this place would be in up raw but 2 back to back hat tricks keeps the wolves at bay for now.

Ring Of Steel

Doesn’t suit lone role for me,past 3 games seen him dominated by opponents defences we need more,Max people have their differences on etc but for me he can finish but also head the ball & hold it up well defo think max starts Tuesday night,if we are gonna challenge auto we need a striker who is scoring regular and is able to hold that ball up bring others into play,hence why a few of us were banging on all January about drafting in another option up front.

If Bakayoko performed how Godden has past few games this place would be in up raw but 2 back to back hat tricks keeps the wolves at bay for now.
It’s not really relevant what the reaction on here is to anyone, it’s what Robins thinks, and he thinks Godden is the man, and we’ve lost 3 games all season, and are pushing for promotion. I don’t see what else there is to say, unless the expectation is now that Godden needs to play like a £3m striker instead of a £734k striker.

luwalla

He’ll be worth the 750k if those two hat trick wins take us up!

to be fair been feeding off scraps last couple of games before today, but felt there was one or two chances he could have done better with today... that’s the life of a striker playing his role though

Ring Of Steel

He’ll be worth the 750k if those two hat trick wins take us up!

to be fair been feeding off scraps last couple of games before today, but felt there was one or two chances he could have done better with today... that’s the life of a striker playing his role though
Yes you’re right. But certainly not the time to be predicting that the wolves are at the door for him.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Sorry, but he was shit today.

Normally I would argue you can blame tactics etc but he had plenty of opportunities today to do something and just looked off the pace.

NortonSkyBlue

Sorry, but he was shit today.

Normally I would argue you can blame tactics etc but he had plenty of opportunities today to do something and just looked off the pace.
It wasn't his best game but really? " he was shit today"
I know in this black and white world we live in you are either messi or a mess but come on, the guy worked his socks off, created space for others, which you could argue was selfless when critics slate him. Both goals came in his work space.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Pulled the two defenders away for it to open up for Allen goal, small positive and that’s what he needs when he does that, O’Hare doesn’t get into those positions as much, Shipley has been doing that when on form, Westbrooke not so much so it does depend who he has around him in my view.

Kingokings204

Jesus. How the worm has turned in 3 weeks. He’s doing what he’s been asked to do byRobins and the formation we play. He’s part of the team that’s still winning and still scoring goals.

I agree with this. His game is to harass defenders and work rate. He pulls defenders away and yes he is offside too much but it’s takes 1 to be onside and he is in. In this formation he isn’t going to be in play a lot. We pack the midfield with Shipley Allen kelly Walsh and o hare.

he clearly knows where the back of the net is so he isn’t beyond criticism but it was only a month ago he got back to back hat tricks. We haven’t lost since. Give him a break

cc84cov

I know in this black and white world we live in you are either messi or a mess but come on, the guy worked his socks off, created space for others, which you could argue was selfless when critics slate him. Both goals came in his work space.
He was garbage couldn’t control the ball could not hold it up or win a header as ive said if that that was Baka today we would all be going mental,he needs a rest.

Ring Of Steel

You know what it’s like, some people need to have something to hone in on to express some of their natural negativity. We could win the league and some of them would be questioning whether it was right to play McAllum and whether Godden was a waste of money.

Esoterica

He's a decent enough striker but I think we paid an inflated price at 750k and, considering what Robins wants him to do, I still think it's a slightly odd purchase as he is 'not quite' a lone striker for me - not quite tall enough to trouble the defenders in the air, not quite fast enough to trouble them in a race and not quite bulky enough to outmuscle a big L1 centre back. He's an intelligent player so makes up some of the ground through his clever movement and dragging about of defenders but he looks a lot lot better when he has players around him (as do most strikers).
Needs to sort these offsides out though, he doesn't need to be playing with such fine margins - watching him I can't help feeling he's still not 100% fit and is trying to compensate by gaining a yard too many.

Grendel

It’s not really relevant what the reaction on here is to anyone, it’s what Robins thinks, and he thinks Godden is the man, and we’ve lost 3 games all season, and are pushing for promotion. I don’t see what else there is to say, unless the expectation is now that Godden needs to play like a £3m striker instead of a £734k striker.

£734k lol

Mucca Mad Boys

His team mates value his contribution and don't share this negativity
Quite surprising to see some looking for scapegoats even when we got 3 points

We’re not used to being in these situations better days...

He’s the best striker we’ve got, and atm the chances aren’t falling for him! He’s not missed any howlers in the last couple of games, has he?

Our midfield is our strength, which is why we’ve played 4 CMs in this 3-4-2-1 formation for a while now. We’ve lost only 1 game since Robins changed shaped v Fleetwood at home at the end of October.

We Cov fans love a moan.

CCFCSteve

He’s shown when he gets chances he’s a decent enough finisher (see hat tricks). As mentioned by others as lone striker he’s doing the leg work of two for most the game which can mean he’s not always in the places we’d want him to be (in the box)

Ultimately he’s doing an unselfish job for the team. We’ve just got to accept that in some games he will appear isolated and maybe not as effective (which probably doesn’t reflect the work he’s still putting in)

The same people having a little moan are probably the same as those fans who complained about Connor Chaplin (or Craplin as some idiot called him) ! The system isn’t set up to make strikers look good and I’m sure even Robins would admit he would’ve struggled playing in this system !

Would be tempted to give him a breather Tues and have him up for the Bolton game

ps there are a few too many offsides though which can happen when strikers are trying to play on the shoulder of the last man (hoping for errors). There have been some sloppy ones as well though

stupot07

For me he doesnt have the right attributes to play the lone role, especially in this formation. He is neither fast enough to worry defenders, not strong enough to bash them around. I wouldn't say he looks any better than Baka, Biamou or Hiwula, and I cant see him being anywhere near the standard for the Championship if we get promoted.

It seems a waste of £750k, which is a heck of a lot of money.

He maybe injured, and he may come good but bar the Tranmere and Wycombe game he's not shown much at all.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2477

McNulty gone back to Hibs on loan. Could have been the answer to our promotion push and strikers firing blamks

DionDublinsJockstrap

It’s a one striker system. Gives much greater opportunity for midfielders to create (and score). It is the core of our success this season. Godden has 10 goals, but the most relevant stat - 7 players with 4 or more goals. 9 with 3 or more. I bet for this stage in the season that will be right up there with the best sides in our modern history. Somebody has to do the donkey work for this system to succeed- that is Matt Godden

Ring Of Steel

It’s a one striker system. Gives much greater opportunity for midfielders to create (and score). It is the core of our success this season. Godden has 10 goals, but the most relevant stat - 7 players with 4 or more goals. 9 with 3 or more. I bet for this stage in the season that will be right up there with the best sides in our modern history. Somebody has to do the donkey work for this system to succeed- that is Matt Godden
Spot on

Magwitch

Don’t understand this critism of Godden his role in the team is to work the opposition defence and create space for his team mates, he’s scored goals, missed a few games through injury, he works his balls off he’s an essential part of our winning team. Look at this great Liverpool side their number 9 Firminio doesn’t score that often but it’s said he’s first name on Klopps team sheet he creates the space for Mane and Sala yes I know different class of players but that’s how we try and play at our level. Other players are scoring now when McNulty got his 28 goals the return from others was pathetic, we are playing well, winning games, it’s working why change, I don’t think we would have won yesterdays game under the same circumstances last season.

Evo1883

I think we should be happy with the way the team is playing as a whole, we are winning, we are scoring goals and every player plays a part in that... This obsession with singling out and destroying certain players season after season has to stop, doesn't happen at Liverpool where firmino has massively underperformed this season with 8 goals in 25 league games and has recently come out of an 11 game goal drought but no, we are Coventry fucking City and it has to be amazing every week or you're panned.

Deluded, negative, hate filled supporters

stupot07

I think we should be happy with the way the team is playing as a whole, we are winning, we are scoring goals and every player plays a part in that... This obsession with singling out and destroying certain players season after season has to stop, doesn't happen at Liverpool where firmino has massively underperformed this season with 8 goals in 25 league games and has recently come out of an 11 game goal drought but no, we are Coventry fucking City and it has to be amazing every week or you're panned.

Deluded, negative, hate filled supporters
Liverpool are way ahead in the league. It's a really odd comparison. We're fighting for automatics. We're playing well, but we could be doing better, moving some of these draws into wins. There is nothing wrong in looking at the team and debating where it could be improved.

Whilst we are hard to beat, if we miss out on autos we will be looking at some of these draws and dropped points and our lack of goals to kill off teams will have been a major cause. If we just miss out on play offs, it will have been a failure.

No one is hating Godden, nor are we deluded or negative.

You're just getting your knickers in a twist.

Evo1883

Liverpool are way ahead in the league. It's a really odd comparison. We're fighting for automatics. We're playing well, but we could be doing better, moving some of these draws into wins. There is nothing wrong in looking at the team and debating where it could be improved.

Whilst we are hard to beat, if we miss out on autos we will be looking at some of these draws and dropped points and our lack of goals to kill off teams will have been a major cause. If we just miss out on play offs, it will have been a failure.

No one is hating Godden, nor are we deluded or negative.

You're just getting your knickers in a twist.

Like how you added the last line afterwards lol.

He will be judged on his recored ultimately , it's 10 goals in 25 matches.

Similar to how we judge Armstrong when he scored 20 but just 3 times in the last 18 matches.

If we get promoted, he will be a part of the reason for that and we will always be eternally grateful for his contribution

Simple as that really

hill83

He's doing a job. Only thing that annoys me is the "must defend him at all costs" nonsense that isn't afforded to other strikers.

Tired
Isolated
Back from injury
Lovely hair
Tries

There's always favourites and not so favourites.

Users who are viewing this thread