Matt Godden (3 Viewers)

CDK

Not hopeful of seeing him fit to play 9 consecutive games in a row which is a shame as a real finisher and could score goals at championship level,just a shame he won't be able to stay fit.

BigadamL

If I’m being honest I don’t think he will ever be fully fit, I don’t think he will fully recover from his current injury.

fatso

If I’m being honest I don’t think he will ever be fully fit, I don’t think he will fully recover from his current injury.
Signing Waghorn and possibly Gyokres would mean that Godden will be given time to make a full recovery without being rushed back prematurely.

CDK

Signing Waghorn and possibly Gyokres would mean that Godden will be given time to make a full recovery without being rushed back prematurely.
When robins comes out and says surgery is not possible to put it right it makes me wonder and think it's something that your never free of.

SleepyGinger

If Gyokores comes in I have a feeling we will move him on, top end league 1 teams would pay for him. Not sure that injury is going to go away and this could be the last chance to get a few.

slowpoke

Be h
If Gyokores comes in I have a feeling we will move him on, top end league 1 teams would pay for him. Not sure that injury is going to go away and this could be the last chance to get a few.
Be difficult to shift for a fee if that trouble some foot injury still hasn’t completely gone away.

better days

Bloody hell I despair sometimes when I read some of the stuff fans say about their own players
Give the poor lad a chance
He will have a lot more medical help than us normal mortals
Given sufficient rest there is no reason he can't come back as one of our top players
He aggravated it last year by helping us avoid relegation

Last edited:

Esoterica

I’m really surprised people want to move him on. No one is paying a fee worth recouping on the back of that reoccurring injury without first proving himself fit over a period of time. If we give him time to recover and we’ve made it clear he has to fight for his place with the other 3 strikers then he’s an excellent 3rd or 4th striker that we’re not going to significantly improve on. Improving the group of strikers we have has bought him that time and we know exactly what he can do when fit.

Offhegoes

Can't believe I am reading this about Godden. Despite his injuries last season, he was still our best striker, and had he been fully fit all season, I don't think we would of been in any relegation danger. Yes he has had his injury problems, but now we have Waghorn, Walker and Gyokeres, we have adequate backup should he be out, and not forgetting Tavares too.

Esoterica

Honestly some of our fans.....

"we’ve made it clear he has to fight for his place"
Not sure what you’ve taken exception to there. He’s been our #1 striker for 2 seasons, we’ve rushed him back from injury last year. This year we’ve significantly improved our options and even fully fit he’s not necessarily a guaranteed starter. In a squad with so much unity, would absolutely expect Robins to be setting player expectations as both motivation and to avoid discontent further down the line.

NortonSkyBlue

Not sure what you’ve taken exception to there. He’s been our #1 striker for 2 seasons, we’ve rushed him back from injury last year. This year we’ve significantly improved our options and even fully fit he’s not necessarily a guaranteed starter. In a squad with so much unity, would absolutely expect Robins to be setting player expectations as both motivation and to avoid discontent further down the line.
Robins, not you nor I is the arbiter of any player.

Esoterica

Robins, not you nor I is the arbiter of any player.
Of course he is. But it’s my club so referred to it as we while outlining why I wouldn’t want to bin off our best striker for the last 2 seasons for a nominal fee. What an odd thing to take exception to on a supporters forum.

D

Deleted member 11652

I think people are missing the point with Godden. No one is saying get rid because he isn’t good enough but this could realistically be the last chance we have to get a fee for him. A league one side would probably pay £500k for him but with his injury issues at his age that isn’t likely to be the case next summer. It’s more that we could cash in now or effectively risk writing off the transfer fee to keep him for another season. Course if he stays fit and gets goals that won’t matter

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I think people are missing the point with Godden. No one is saying get rid because he isn’t good enough but this could realistically be the last chance we have to get a fee for him. A league one side would probably pay £500k for him but with his injury issues at his age that isn’t likely to be the case next summer. It’s more that we could cash in now or effectively risk writing off the transfer fee to keep him for another season. Course if he stays fit and gets goals that won’t matter
The problem is we still have to replace him then, and you’re not going to get a striker of his calibre to accept a squad player position. We’re better off risking Godden for 1 more year than going down the other route

Ccfcisparks

The problem is we still have to replace him then, and you’re not going to get a striker of his calibre to accept a squad player position. We’re better off risking Godden for 1 more year than going down the other route
Whos saying Godden will want a squad position? Or even be fit to fill that position

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Whos saying Godden will want a squad position? Or even be fit to fill that position
Godden is still contracted to the club already, so if he’s fit it’s likely to be his role. Convincing someone who isn’t already contracted is more difficult.

the fitness thing is a worry - but like I said -it’s a a far more cost effective route. Besides if he isn’t fit, how will we sell him? Given he’s got one year left - sides will just wait a year and see if he is fit

better days

As far as i know we are not looking to sell any players unless a ridiculous offer comes in
Godden would fail any medical until he's recovered in any case so it's academic

Esoterica

Genuine question- Are there many sides in L1 who would be able to pay 500k for a player?

Esoterica

Not really, Ipswich are the only ones I can think of due to their recent takeover
I’m sure Sunderland would too.
Sunderland chairman: We’d like to offer you 500k for Matty Godden.
Robins: We can’t sell him. He broke down twice last year and he’s not had a preseason.
Sunderland chairman: Ok. 1 million?
Robins: I really don’t think he’d pass the medical.
Sunderland chairman: I see, thanks for your honesty. Hang on. 1.5 million, final offer!

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Genuine question- Are there many sides in L1 who would be able to pay 500k for a player?
This! We’ve got people saying “sell him - he’s got recurring injuries that he’s not yet recovered from” then expecting a league one club to disregard this and say we’ll give you 500k for a 30 year old with 1 year left on his contract and an injury he’s not yet recovered from.

if he’s recovered he’ll he good enough to fight for his place, if he hasn’t nobody is going to bid for him

Skybluedownunder

Godden is our most capable goalscorer in my opinion. We’ve been behind Jodi Jones for three years injured who’s done nowhere near what Godden has done for us, why are so many giving up on him? Gyokeres goal scoring history isn’t that great, Walker blew hot and cold but had a good track record previously and Waghorn’s goals were in Scottish Prem

Godden will come good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grendel

Godden is our most capable goalscorer in my opinion. We’ve been behind Jodi Jones for three years injured who’s done nowhere near what Godden has done for us, why are so many giving up on him? Gyokeres goal scoring history isn’t that great, Walker blew hot and cold but had a good track record previously and Waghorn’s goals were in Scottish Prem

Godden will come good

Waghorn scored 16 goals for Ipswich in a season in the championship after playing in Scotland and 12 In a season for derby

Skybluedownunder

And Walker was our top scorer despite getting Covid and having injuries. He was hardly hot and cold

Wasn’t hard to be our top goalscorer, hardly like we had anyone else who could stick a ball in the net. Biamou only scored a few and played most of the season and Baka got zero

steve cooper

The main reason that surgery is a last resort for the treatment of Plantar Fasciitis, (apart from the obvious risk with all invasive procedures) is because it tends to heal (excuse the pun) itself in the vast majority of cases, but it can take 6 to 12 months. Surgery can be carried out in cases where it does not get better by itself, but the healing process is long. so the prognosis is excellent, it just takes time.

Users who are viewing this thread