Match Day Experience (2 Viewers)

wingy

Actually, there's possibly a serious point on the family side. Years back (before my time) young fans used to have rattles and the like that contributed to the atmosphere. Wonder if there's something that young fans could have/buy these day that would have a similar effect without the chance of whacking the bloke in front of you with it (I'm assuming they aren't actually allowed anymore).
The return of the paper clapper .

EalingSB

Fans turning up is the biggest thing.

Loads of mentions of a lack of atmosphere and the ground feeling quiet on a midweek. All that is solve by having a good crowd. The Ricoh return game last time was brilliant. No frills, no fan zone, stupid queues for a pint. Not even a club shop. But, it was buzzing, people were up for it and the noise was fantastic.

There have been mid-week cup games where it has also been buzzing even with crowds of 12,000. Wycombe and Preston were great. Leeds many years back was good.

General things though: A shuttle train service would be great. I am no train expert, but surely between the hours or 1 and 3 and then 5 and 6, you could run a back and forth service to the Ricoh from Cov? It is a 5 minute journey and could be ran frequently. Trains from Nuneaton could terminate at the station between those hours and general public passengers could just change for the final stop? I honestly think CCFC, Wasps and the Ricoh as an events stadium having a station would be a game changer. I know most people going to an event/gig at the NEC would get the train so they can have a drink. Who wants to get on a bus? Brighton is the best example of this running well. Drink in the city until half 2 and jump on the train and be in the stadium within 15 minutes.
Couldn’t agree more. I tend to stay with family in Tile Hill when I come over for matches and we used to get a cab to games for about 30 quid. Getting the train from Tile Hill to the Ricoh via Cov station would make a big difference - would encourage us to get there early too and have drinks at the ground before and after. Someone else mentioned Brighton, when we went for the FA Cup game we stayed behind for at least an hour having a few more beers and they then sold all the food off half-price; great day out.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I've been in corporate and still no idea who he is (unless he did it more than a few years ago). I've heard the name, but couldn't tell you who he was.

Grendel doesn't know who he is or what he does but that doesn't stop him trying to discredit him.

But that's Grendel for you.

Magwitch1

Yeah, sky blue rattles accompanying Glad all Over before every match. F great it was!
Bought mine from that Army surplus store top of Far Gosford Street it was what was used in the war directing people to bomb shelters once you got used to the weight it was deafening, the old man banned me from taking it to home games too packed if I’d hit some one it would have cracked their skull.
I swopped it for a school bell,which I still have somewhere.

ccfc92

More efficient service at the bar. It takes far too long.

Assuming we're getting more £ from F&B's, they will need to make the most of it.

I normally get put off buying 1 or 2 beers at HT by the queuing time.

I'd rather go without for 90 mins and see the whole game.

shy_tall_knight

Can't believe that the deliveroo option can't be tailored to a stadium, online ordering and then collection from a kiosk or even delivering to your seat in the stadium (with the exception of alcohol).

Rarely get into a ground much before kick-off but did enjoy the montage at st andrews for the home FA cup tie v Blues, that was shown on the big screen, some good vintage highlights specials, twist & shout, mr Blue Sky etc.. it was well put together.

letsallsingtogether

Says a lot about the people there.
Tbf it does they are cov through and through dont go around slagging people off and crying freeloader every time someone does something for the club.
And yes he was the main organiser of the FPA which is one of the largest in the country he organises the FPA days, and any other events they show up for.
Not sure if he still does it now though.

PurpleBin

Can't believe that the deliveroo option can't be tailored to a stadium, online ordering and then collection from a kiosk or even delivering to your seat in the stadium (with the exception of alcohol).

Rarely get into a ground much before kick-off but did enjoy the montage at st andrews for the home FA cup tie v Blues, that was shown on the big screen, some good vintage highlights specials, twist & shout, mr Blue Sky etc.. it was well put together.

It can be. At Anfield you can have it delivered to your seat (obviously not beer) or ready for collection at half time. Clever really!

Terry Gibson's perm

Tbf it does they are cov through and through dont go around slagging people off and crying freeloader every time someone does something for the club.
And yes he was the main organiser of the FPA which is one of the largest in the country he organises the FPA days, and any other events they show up for.

Sorry not going to get involved in this I could add more to this but can’t really be bothered.

Last edited:

oakey

I have one of the old rattles given to me about 50 years ago by someone. It is very heavy, wooden, hand painted sky blue with REES and GIBSON painted on in black letters, therefore late 60s.
I toyed with the idea of taking it to a Legends day once but suspected it might be confiscated by stewards.

Johhny Blue

I have one of the old rattles given to me about 50 years ago by someone. It is very heavy, wooden, hand painted sky blue with REES and GIBSON painted on in black letters, therefore late 60s.
I toyed with the idea of taking it to a Legends day once but suspected it might be confiscated by stewards.
Maybe “Rees Gibson” is the company that manufactured them

Sbarcher

It can be. At Anfield you can have it delivered to your seat (obviously not beer) or ready for collection at half time. Clever really!
Best beer delivery system I've seen was some years ago at the Barmy Arms in Twickenham before an England game. They had a Guinness tent in the pub garden with a 9 pint (3 x 3) dropper, bit like a set of cow's udders! Each nozzle dropped into a glass, 1/2 filled to let it rest, then topped up for a perfect pint. probably the only way if you need to sell lots of Guinness very quickly.

chiefdave

Best beer delivery system I've seen was some years ago at the Barmy Arms in Twickenham before an England game. They had a Guinness tent in the pub garden with a 9 pint (3 x 3) dropper, bit like a set of cow's udders! Each nozzle dropped into a glass, 1/2 filled to let it rest, then topped up for a perfect pint. probably the only way if you need to sell lots of Guinness very quickly.
They've used those at music festivals for as long as I can remember. And an added step of having one set of staff operating the machine and another serving.

Most festivals have also been cashless for years as you buy beer tokens and use those instead to save messing around. So you literally walk up, ask for however many pints you want and the person serving you just turns round and picks up how many you want and you hand over the tokens, takes seconds.

With the way transactions are recorded these days you should be able to pretty accurately predict the volume of each product you need and what time you need it.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Yes he does L.A.S.T.

We haven't been at the Ricoh for the past 2 years and haven't held a legends day since.

Refuse to go to St'Andrews.

But as soon as the club are back at the Ricoh there will be a legends day again so Grendel and Co will able to go along and see who Billy Bell is and what he does.

Last edited:

AOM

I am in a small minority who thinks the stand behind the goal should be closed unless the gate / demand is large enough to open it. The atmosphere with it all open was woeful for most games.

Agree. There was actually some decent atmosphere towards the end of our last season at the Ricoh when we were pushing towards promotion.
Would rather make a solid wall of fans on the sides of the pitch than have sporadic groups placed around all 3/4 stands.

Didn't we have to pay for each stand to be opened as well?

wingy

I am in a small minority who thinks the stand behind the goal should be closed unless the gate / demand is large enough to open it. The atmosphere with it all open was woeful for most games.
Don't know about minority but I would resist that approach really , just never felt like real football to me or the Idea that I can't appreciate a game from where I want to or prefer.

Terry Gibson's perm

The best way to get some atmosphere is to have a return to standing but probably not the cheapest solution

letsallsingtogether

Yes he does L.A.S.T.

We haven't been at the Ricoh for the past 2 years and haven't held a legends day since.

But as soon as the club are back at the Ricoh there will be a legends day again so Grendel and Co will able to go along and see who Billy Bell is and what he does.
I saw him up the Butts at the few games I went to.
With plenty other City fans.

pusbccfc

The atmosphere wasn't that bad at the Ricoh for the bigger games. It's just never going to be good when you're playing Fleetwood's and Crawley's every week. You could have the biggest 'wall of sky blue' you want but nothing will improve the atmosphere in those types of games.

The few years before the relegation in the Championship the atmosphere under the scoreboard was class. Sadly the old boys seemed to either move or stop going when we got relegated.

Grendel

Yes he does L.A.S.T.

I’ve looked him up on social media

Strikes me as a bit of a twat actually

Liquid Gold

They've used those at music festivals for as long as I can remember. And an added step of having one set of staff operating the machine and another serving.

Most festivals have also been cashless for years as you buy beer tokens and use those instead to save messing around. So you literally walk up, ask for however many pints you want and the person serving you just turns round and picks up how many you want and you hand over the tokens, takes seconds.

With the way transactions are recorded these days you should be able to pretty accurately predict the volume of each product you need and what time you need it.
You wouldn't even need tokens just have them as contactless bars. Should be no issue in serving as many pints as people want to buy at all. I more often than not skip a half time drink because I can't be bothered with the queue.

robbiekeane

Are you his mate? Who is he anyway?
If you don't know that then your not a true Cov City supporter.
I was talking to Grendel.

If you've never been in the corporate or cosino it is possible you wouldn't know who Billy Bell is.
So you have to go there to be a fan of the club?
No, don't put words in my mouth!

I said if YOU didn’t know Billy Bell.
Why would I know him?
Ok you don't know him for fuck sake, you drama queen.

giphy.gif

Jesus fucking Christ

giphy.gif

rhino1002

I said earlier in this thread that the problem lies with the multi product sales at the kiosks
Its not the money exchange that takes the time its dad going up with little jonny asking for a bovril and a pie oh and can I have a twix no better make that a yorkie sorry can I have a tea instead of the bovril
Make the outlet single product
4 pints please £20
Next and so on
This is done at Twickenham they sell barrel loads

Users who are viewing this thread