Match Day Experience (4 Viewers)

B-Ban-Boogie

Going to night games up at Highfield Road I always remember the bright lights and buzz around the stadium for games.
Seeing the stadium lights as you walked up drew you to the ground and always got the blood flowing.

I think Liquid mentioned on a different thread, having lights on the top of the stadium shining in the air showing the way to the ground.
Imagine 4 big bright Sky Blue lights swirling around on top of the stadium showing everyone there's a game on, kind of enticing you to the stadium from all over the city.
It's a very affordable option and easy to do.

On the few night games I've been to the Ricoh when you come to the stadium its like a dull atmosphere.
Get some big bright lights on the whole arena area making you WANT to go there.

Flags around the stadium too, especially on the roundabout by the ground. Lots of Sky Blue color.

Cheap options that would make a huge impact.

ccfc_Tom

More frequent trains from coventry stations to the ground.

Sort the queues out at bars. If you head down at half time , youre lucky if you get served by the time the 2nd half kicks off. I mentioned on another thread that tranmere had bottle only bars (cashless) and there was no queue at all.

Grendel

I wouldn't want an E-Programme. I have collected the programmes since 1968 and much prefer to have something more tangible/physical. In much the same way I prefer CDs and Vinyls over downloaded music.

which is fine but I wouldn’t

TomRad85

I wouldn't want an E-Programme. I have collected the programmes since 1968 and much prefer to have something more tangible/physical. In much the same way I prefer CDs and Vinyls over downloaded music.
I wouldn't either, I haven't bought one for years but when I did it was more to collect them than anything. I do think its a good idea though, very modern. Some would go for it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

chiefdave

shmmeee

Stop playing Chelsea dagger after we score.

Sack JD he’s fucking awful

get some pre game and half time entertainment in. And actually remember they’re going to do whatever it is in front of football fans (ball challenges, youth football, etc work. U11s dance troupes don’t).

Decorate the arena inside and out on match days

More life outside the stadium, and remember most fans come in from the back.

Flags, clacker things, vuvuzelas, whatever

Nick

Administrator
Stop playing Chelsea dagger after we score.

Sack JD he’s fucking awful

get some pre game and half time entertainment in. And actually remember they’re going to do whatever it is in front of football fans (ball challenges, youth football, etc work. U11s dance troupes don’t).

Decorate the arena inside and out on match days

More life outside the stadium, and remember most fans come in from the back.

Flags, clacker things, vuvuzelas, whatever

We haven't played Chelsea Dagger for years.

Liquid Gold

Fuck me it's football. Get there at five to three and leave at the final whistle. I think some of you want Billy Smarts Circus in the exhibition hall.
Get in there from the pub at 5 to three and leave to the pub at the final whistle.

If they can fix where you're coming from and where you're going to take place at the arena then they'll make a load more cash and the club will be better off.

mark82

Fuck me it's football. Get there at five to three and leave at the final whistle. I think some of you want Billy Smarts Circus in the exhibition hall.

Some people want that though, especially people going as families.

Two things key for me in all this. We need to get more bums on seats in general to not only bring more money in, but make it a more enjoyable experience. Second is we need to attract more families. They're the future of this club.

Irish Sky Blue

I mentioned on the other thread about having City fans behind both goals. Hard to see that they would move away fans under the old scoreboard now if that is the area where the new club shop will be. I can’t see where else away fans would go. If they are to remain behind the goal at the Tesco end, maybe the area they could be given could be more flexible, allowing are own fans to move around the corner towards the goal. I could see that 6000 visiting West Brom fans would need the whole end but 200 from Bournemouth could easily be housed in one block on the on the A444 side of that end allowing our own fans behind the goal. I know that we were given this option until a few yobbos decided to abuse Preston fans a few years ago, but surely it isn’t beyond the capability to utilise that end better, making sure that people are safe to watch their team and have our fans in there too.

chiefdave

You need stuff for the kids, although there's the family zone doing a great job. Maybe just a bit of funding for them and somewhere they can setup properly rather than setup right before people start arriving.

Agree in general though. Most people want to turn up, watch a game and go home. Get the basics right first. Make it easy to actually buy tickets; get to the ground (sort out public transport and car parking); get into the ground without being made to feel like you shouldn't be there; be able to buy a program, scarf, shirt etc without it being a mission; be able to purchase edible food and drink without missing half the game and then not end up stuck for hours after the game trying to get home.

Once we're doing all that we can work on the other stuff.

Grendel

Some people want that though, especially people going as families.

Two things key for me in all this. We need to get more bums on seats in general to not only bring more money in, but make it a more enjoyable experience. Second is we need to attract more families. They're the future of this club.

Hes right most don’t - most want in and out - the junior sky blue thing has always worked well. Enhance the experience from kick off to final whistle but the rest would be a novelty for one game and irrelevant afterwards

chiefdave

Can we get the underpass from Tesco's sorted. Mainly the flooding but also fix it up a bit, and some signs to show that's there's another set of stairs and disabled ramp further along.

Also the bricks and memorial garden which are both looking pretty shabby (assume nothing has been done to improve them since we left).

Irish Sky Blue

Can we get the underpass from Tesco's sorted. Mainly the flooding but also fix it up a bit, and some signs to show that's there's another set of stairs and disabled ramp further along.

Also the bricks and memorial garden which are both looking pretty shabby (assume nothing has been done to improve them since we left).
I agree, the walk over from the shopping centre can be pretty grim. The place is full of litter, the subway graffitied dank and wet. The subway that you go through to get to Crawleys ground has football Murals on the walls. Maybe this one could have a Coventry sports theme with City, Cov and Bees represented. Wasps would have to be there I suppose but their pic could be painted out when they go home.

Evo1883

Hi all. Appreciate this is similar to a couple of other threads but just looking for ideas on what could improve the match day experience for fans. Particularly interested in opinions from those that haven't attended for some time - is there anything that would make your attendance more likely? The idea is that suggestions will be collated and passed onto the club.
Batch van and coffee outside the stadium
This may sound a bit random but is match day programmes still a thing? Would it not be better for members and season ticket holders to pay a nominal subscription to get an e programme on the morning of the match?

My old man collects programs still, I doubt he'd be too thrilled if it went completely online, and many would be the same

Covstu

Back end of the Ricoh days we were getting a bang average service due to the dispute. Agree with what most said especially a queue for beer only as it stops the fucking around Plus the fellas with the beer backpacks work as well. The difficulty was they struggled to staff up when gates were so erratic, they needed to be more savvy on getting that right.

robbiekeane

When I’m back and go to the game I usually take my old man and go in the hospitality/legends suites. Atmosphere is shit obviously but just having somewhere to go and have a few beers before the game, halftime, and after the game, without having to queue for absolutely ages and just battle the mayhem that it usually is, makes it worthwhile.
Point being, we do that because it’s so shit normally but we wouldn’t pay for that if we were going every other week. So if there was a better setup for food and drink I imagine many would love to give their money to the club instead of just turning up at 5 to 3 and then doing one straight after.

robbiethemole

I mentioned on the other thread about having City fans behind both goals. Hard to see that they would move away fans under the old scoreboard now if that is the area where the new club shop will be. I can’t see where else away fans would go. If they are to remain behind the goal at the Tesco end, maybe the area they could be given could be more flexible, allowing are own fans to move around the corner towards the goal. I could see that 6000 visiting West Brom fans would need the whole end but 200 from Bournemouth could easily be housed in one block on the on the A444 side of that end allowing our own fans behind the goal. I know that we were given this option until a few yobbos decided to abuse Preston fans a few years ago, but surely it isn’t beyond the capability to utilise that end better, making sure that people are safe to watch their team and have our fans in there too.

Maybe do like Lesta do, and have them just in the corner under the police control room, might limit the numbers but hey!! we would probably sell all the away allocation.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Thanks Mark82 for raising this.
I have the following suggestions that I would considered for when I go back to watching Coventry City home games.
  1. Open up the stand behind the goal as before . This is a much better image for the statue of Coventry City. Also much better in covid times as well. I have watched 95% of games throughout my life from behind the goal (even take this approach at Aussie Rules games too)
  2. Obvious things like make everyone feel welcome on entry to stadium and once inside
  3. Organise the toilets and cafe/bar and food service to avoid large queues and overcrowding
  4. Encourage or firmer action to get people to act sensibly to use the marked entrance to toilets as the entry point and use the marked exit point for exit point
  5. Enforce no-smoking as that is the law and really unpleasant for people with chest problems
  6. A new start is needed so bring in a FRESH song for players coming out onto pitch and for goals scored ( I know its natural to go want all the old stuff but lets go forward)
  7. Controversial this maybe but turn off the TV's when game is going on to encourage people to actually watch the Coventry match rather than just drink beer and watch a screen etc. We need support at pitch side , not in the bar
  8. Implement an education program on staff and stewards on how to treat fans as customers and also NOT to be scared to approach people when they are clearly doing something wrong
  9. Really promote Junior Sky Blues and encourage more women and children to go.
  10. Perhaps offer family tickets more ( I know its hard to enforce but having more family people would make for a better experience)
  11. Having a special section (singing section or dare I say an nicer equivalent of Ultra's) designated as this would generate atmosphere and also appease the less boisterous lot who seem to be anti people making noise (that used to happen in Main Stand at Highfield road and also noticed it too when sat in stand at the side of Ricoh Arena when some people frown at you singing and supporting your team)
  12. Encourage a spirit of positivity (we suffer more than some clubs with a high proportion of moaning fans when things go wrong or a particular player having an off day
  13. Re-Allocate squad number 20 and and name as Coventry City Supporters (12th Man is sexist and out of date with the number of subs etc)
  14. Try and mend bridges with the women players that represent the City of Coventry i.e. Coventry United
  15. Point out the only way we will improve is to get everyone working together to support the Club and Players

That will do for now, sorry its so long everyone.

robbiethemole

The underlying issues are still relevant for some tho, this from the Drunken Wasp site :-

Having a paying tenant overall will lead to increased income to our club and business. My hope -still- is that we get more done in the stadium and around the complex to make it look more like our ground (more black and gold, and having Wasps RFC written in the stadium seating). I have no problem with the stadium decked in sky blue on football match days, but the core colour should reflect that it is Wasps home.

I still want them to feck off back to where they came from.

Last edited:

AOM

- The stadium itself could use a good pressure wash and maybe some new paint. Probably not noticeable at night, but it looks really grubby and neglected in the day

- As others have said, more concourse access would be nice too. Not sure if Wasps fans got access to the ones that were always closed when we were playing. Hopefully would help speed up service too

- Bring back that half time competition where fans have to shoot from the halfway line

- Fan zone

Somerset Sky Blue

Thanks Mark82 for raising this.
I have the following suggestions that I would considered for when I go back to watching Coventry City home games.
  1. Open up the stand behind the goal as before . This is a much better image for the statue of Coventry City. Also much better in covid times as well. I have watched 95% of games throughout my life from behind the goal (even take this approach at Aussie Rules games too)
  2. Obvious things like make everyone feel welcome on entry to stadium and once inside
  3. Organise the toilets and cafe/bar and food service to avoid large queues and overcrowding
  4. Encourage or firmer action to get people to act sensibly to use the marked entrance to toilets as the entry point and use the marked exit point for exit point
  5. Enforce no-smoking as that is the law and really unpleasant for people with chest problems
  6. A new start is needed so bring in a FRESH song for players coming out onto pitch and for goals scored ( I know its natural to go want all the old stuff but lets go forward)
  7. Controversial this maybe but turn off the TV's when game is going on to encourage people to actually watch the Coventry match rather than just drink beer and watch a screen etc. We need support at pitch side , not in the bar
  8. Implement an education program on staff and stewards on how to treat fans as customers and also NOT to be scared to approach people when they are clearly doing something wrong
  9. Really promote Junior Sky Blues and encourage more women and children to go.
  10. Perhaps offer family tickets more ( I know its hard to enforce but having more family people would make for a better experience)
  11. Having a special section (singing section or dare I say an nicer equivalent of Ultra's) designated as this would generate atmosphere and also appease the less boisterous lot who seem to be anti people making noise (that used to happen in Main Stand at Highfield road and also noticed it too when sat in stand at the side of Ricoh Arena when some people frown at you singing and supporting your team)
  12. Encourage a spirit of positivity (we suffer more than some clubs with a high proportion of moaning fans when things go wrong or a particular player having an off day
  13. Re-Allocate squad number 20 and and name as Coventry City Supporters (12th Man is sexist and out of date with the number of subs etc)
  14. Try and mend bridges with the women players that represent the City of Coventry i.e. Coventry United
  15. Point out the only way we will improve is to get everyone working together to support the Club and Players

That will do for now, sorry its so long everyone.
I agree with a lot of this.
I particularly like point 14 about trying to get women / girls involved and lots of other posters suggestions which are family friendly.
For those who travel reasonable distances with young children (boy and girl), a Ricoh visit is an exciting day trip, coupled with seeing some family.
I've enjoyed being in the family stands - I don't enjoy being surrounded by drunks, swearing heavily and pushing people....
Likewise, I'd be happy for the alcohol kiosks to be separated so families can just buy hot dogs, chips (or whatever), without pissed up blokes barging in.
Whilst I'm moaning, the behaviour of some In the toilets (is pissing in sinks) isn't a great look.
So, along with fans behind goals, fans near away end, singing corner, how about a family stand area which has its own toilets, (perhaps even no bar?), and try to encourage (cheap/free tickets) some local youth football (and other sports teams) with parents to attend - or school kids?
Finally, the club already do some great stuff for families - mine loved being mascots, the sky blue match day zone, Christmas party, meeting players...this is what will help to keep these youngsters as sky blues in the future!
PUSB

Grendel

We used to do them and they were scrapped after a couple of seasons so assume it was more trouble than it was worth.

It’s really easy to do and distribute on a fixed mailing list

Users who are viewing this thread