Mark Robins (a Barnsley perspective) (1 Viewer)

WhiteyBFC

Not Hill's fault or anything, but, had it not been for the 10 pt deduction, Barnsley would be in L1 and Cov would've went down weeks ago, so Hill can't be much better than Robins as he technically got relegated. Just saying. Get what I'm saying?

Having said that, Barnsley may have went into a crazy fight mode and stayed up and sent Brizzle down if Pompey dint have the deduction. We just don't know.
I do get what you're saying. However, the variables involved would have to be taken into account.

I'm sure you're clever enough to realise why Admin FC received a points deduction? They assembled a squad they couldn't afford to pay. And surely that's unfair? Hence, they were punished.

And no. Keith Hill is a far better manager than Mark Robins. I say that as a BFC supporter of 25 years, having witnessed them both at the helm.

I don't want to bore you by going into why, but if you are unconvinced, then perhaps peruse our own forum and you'll get your answer.
I've never known a manager have such unanimous backing, considering we were nearly relegated.

But it's because, we see the bigger picture, and can see what Hill is doing. He is building something here. Unfortunately, 'building' is the opposite of what Robins did. Unless, you count building on sand.
Overloading your squad with loanees may work in the short-term, but trust me, I'd rather a manager recruit a squad of BFC players, and only utilize the loan market in emergencies.

Obviously, my thoughts on this are influenced by our own bad experiences with loanees.

Perhaps a bunch of loanee nomads is what Coventry require right now. I wouldn't know, as I don't follow your club that keenly.
I do hope though, that whatever Mark does, he succeeds.
Top fella. And I say that having spent many hours conversing with him during his BFC tenure.

WhiteyBFC

i know a couple of Barnsley season ticket holders and they pretty much said the same thing as WhiteyBFC...he's not a bad manager and he'll probably stabilise us but dont expect any miracles. Although they did say that the quality of football did decline under Robins...i hope to god his style of play isnt aidy boothrooyd style, sore neck hoof ball. Things are bad enough without watching another season of that shite
It wasn't that it was hoofball, not all the time anyway, it was more the rigid nature of his lineups, and his lack of bravery.
He had attacking/creative options, but whimped out of going down that route.

As I've said, he's a safe pair of hands, he'll stabilize you, I'm sure of that. And he's a lovely bloke.

And, how do I know if he's not improved since leaving Oakwell? Perhaps he's learned, and will take a different approach...?

Good luck either way.

dantheman

I do get what you're saying. However, the variables involved would have to be taken into account.

I'm sure you're clever enough to realise why Admin FC received a points deduction? They assembled a squad they couldn't afford to pay. And surely that's unfair? Hence, they were punished.

And no. Keith Hill is a far better manager than Mark Robins. I say that as a BFC supporter of 25 years, having witnessed them both at the helm.

I don't want to bore you by going into why, but if you are unconvinced, then perhaps peruse our own forum and you'll get your answer.
I've never known a manager have such unanimous backing, considering we were nearly relegated.

But it's because, we see the bigger picture, and can see what Hill is doing. He is building something here. Unfortunately, 'building' is the opposite of what Robins did. Unless, you count building on sand.
Overloading your squad with loanees may work in the short-term, but trust me, I'd rather a manager recruit a squad of BFC players, and only utilize the loan market in emergencies.

Obviously, my thoughts on this are influenced by our own bad experiences with loanees.

Perhaps a bunch of loanee nomads is what Coventry require right now. I wouldn't know, as I don't follow your club that keenly.
I do hope though, that whatever Mark does, he succeeds.
Top fella. And I say that having spent many hours conversing with him during his BFC tenure.

Before you can build you have to get rid of the deadwood,maybe Hill didn't inherit as much deadwood as Robins?

WhiteyBFC

Cheers pal, everything youve said I've agreed with, ignore some of the divs on here. But you spoilted it a bit; No need for handbag remarks such as 's we go to Birmingham City live on Sky.
I'll leave you to worry about being relegated to the basement division, as you prepare to entertain Carlisle
' If i wanted to be childish, I could say it shows how small you are that youre so proud of the fact you're playing blues and its on sky:facepalm: Don't forget, you've had 8years in the champ and a decent cup run, we spent 34 years in the top flight and won the cup.
Yeah, I did get a bit childish. More out of frustration than anything.

I doubt you'll find a less arrogant set of supporters than us lot. We know exactly who and what we are, and it's our happy-go-lucky nature that makes me proud to be a BFC fan.

I will however, point out (perhaps childishly);) that we've spent 76 years at this level (and a year in the top flight, WOW...):p and also won the FA Cup.

Not bad for a small town club.

WhiteyBFC

Just leave it, everyone with half a brain cell knows we are a bigger club than Barnsley. They are enjoying a current high in there history whilst we are on a low, let them bask in there current success.

The interviewer of Robins today summed it up when he said this the biggest job of your managerial career
I'd agree with you on the bigger club theory. History doesn't lie. You get better crowds, have had 30+ years in the top flight, and won the FA Cup (as have we).
You're a city club. We're a small town club sandwiched between Leeds and Sheffield.

However, I'd hardly call our current run a 'high' for us.
No other club has spent as much time in this division. Or won as many games, accrued as many points, or scored as many goals.
This is our level, our division. History doesn't lie.

Therefore we aren't on a high, we're on a level.

But yes, you're bigger than us. But then, so are many other clubs below us in the league pyramid.

Overachieving since 1887. Barnsley FC.:p

WhiteyBFC

http://www.barnsley-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/club_finally_release_statement_on_robins_677835/index.shtml

I will believe "your" clubs official statement thanks.If you want to come on here trying to neg us out at least tell the truth.
It should be noted that the Barnsley FC accounts for the year about to end i.e. May 2011 would pass the break-even test as currently drafted by the Football League based on current TV-based revenues. It is in this context that Mark Robins attended the Board meeting last week to discuss ideas for our club to break-even going forward, particularly in light of reductions to future TV revenue from the 2012/13 season. The Board were of the view that:

• The club should reduce its use of high cost loan players in favour of recruiting players with development value;
  • The club should review its current scouting arrangements and recruitment approach, including recruitment into the academy;
  • The club should invest further in academy and scholar coaching for the best prospects;
Those bullet points give it away, pal.

Under the old TV money, AND with our owner supplementing Robins' high-cost loanees, we broke even.

Paul McShane, Gary O'Connor and Marlon Harewood's wages were paid by our owner, during their loan spells. If not, we'd have made a loss.

I can't be bothered to keep arguing with you about it. And, if I was you I'd look at those bullet points and make your own assessment.

Robins had no plan, ignored the academy (which is now producing, only a year after he left, thanks to Keith Hill utilizing it) and relied on high-cost loanees, of which most were paid for out of our now ill owner's pocket.

WhiteyBFC

Whitey BFC.

First thanks for your thoughts on Robins. He may be true to what you described, he may not. We shall wait and see as it cant get much worse than at present, so hopefully the only way is up.

As you can see some people get tribal when a fan from another club comes on.Not all of us though. People all have different opinions I suppose! My view is that you are in the Championship, we are in the league below, which in football terms means at present you are a better team than us.

Best of luck to Barnsley for the season...I can only dream we will be playing you next year back in The Championship when Robins refloats our sinking ship ;)
I don't really subscribe to the "we're bigger, we're better" bollox, as I couldn't really care less. I'm a Barnsley lad, Barnsley fan. We're the best. And I'm sure you feel the same for your club. That's how it should be. I mean, nobody would choose to support Barnsley or Coventry would they?
The myriad of Man City supporting kids in Barnsley now tells it's own story. I guarantee there wasn't any 10 years ago...

I hope Marky Mark gets you back up, and I'll look forward to speaking to him in the next few weeks, see how he's getting on. :)

lordsummerisle

Robins had no plan, ignored the academy (which is now producing, only a year after he left, thanks to Keith Hill utilizing it) and relied on high-cost loanees, of which most were paid for out of our now ill owner's pocket.

Should be perfect for us, done exactly what a lot of fans suggest we should do.

@richh87

Sounds to me like Robins is the kind to rip into those who aren't performing.

We need to remind some of these losers that football is a man's game and to do better than the man you're up against you have to fight harder than he does.

I think loaning the likes of Baker to clubs with less glamorous setups could do them the world of good.

davebart

I get very tired of reading fans assertions that CCFC is a big club. It was never a big club. It spent 34 years washing around in the lower reaches of the top division usually operating as favourites for relegation year on year. It hardly ever filled a measly 24000 seater stadium. It is now in the third tier having washed around in the lower reaches of the second tier division for ten years. Every team in the entire league has had a top six finish since CCFC last achieved it in 1967.

It is embarrassing to suggest Barnsley are beneath us.

Sadly despite what fans think we are not at rock bottom. I hope mark robins can stop the rot. He is going to need time though and I hope fans will give it to him - and the owners.

skybluedaze

I hate all that big club stuff. There's always someone bigger than you, unless your Real, Barca etc. It is all relative though and Cov are bigger than most in League 1 in terms of achievement, stadium and support. Definately a big fish in a small pond. I think the Championship will be as good as it gets for the skyblues in future, and there's no shame in that. It's a fantastic league to be in and sadly missed at the moment.

Barnsley are a great club, with a great ground and good support. I like Oakwell, it's a proper football stadium. The club is run really well and is deservedly a Championship side. Cov could learn a lot from them in terms of getting maximum return from minimum investment.

WhiteyBFC

Sounds to me like Robins is the kind to rip into those who aren't performing.

We need to remind some of these losers that football is a man's game and to do better than the man you're up against you have to fight harder than he does.

I think loaning the likes of Baker to clubs with less glamorous setups could do them the world of good.
He's not that sort of bloke, or manager.

He's more of an 'arm round the shoulder' type of bloke.

However, he WILL get rid of anyone he deems unworthy (in his opinion), and WILL recruit/replace.

Nonleagueherewecome

Should be perfect for us, done exactly what a lot of fans suggest we should do.

Totally agree, but we need to poison SISU for the full picture to be realisable.

lordsummerisle

Bit reasssured by a message I've just got from a mate of mine who's a Barnsley fan, after I asked him what he was like.

"Carl I rated Robins and was sad to see him leave Barnsley. He got a team of boys looking like relegation fodder and turned us into a good side with a bit of bollocks in the team fighting for the shirt. He left us as the board were not playing ball with him which was a shame. Good manager and should sort your lot out!"

Sounds just what we need, though different view from the other Barnsley lad on here.

Though there are plenty of differing views on Thorn here too!

WhiteyBFC

Bit reasssured by a message I've just got from a mate of mine who's a Barnsley fan, after I asked him what he was like.

"Carl I rated Robins and was sad to see him leave Barnsley. He got a team of boys looking like relegation fodder and turned us into a good side with a bit of bollocks in the team fighting for the shirt. He left us as the board were not playing ball with him which was a shame. Good manager and should sort your lot out!"

Sounds just what we need, though different view from the other Barnsley lad on here.

Though there are plenty of differing views on Thorn here too!
It's very much split down the middle, pal - our fans' opinion of Robins' tenure/achievements.

Good luck against Carlisle. I'll have a keen eye on the game, before we kick off ourselves at tea-time.

lordsummerisle

It's very much split down the middle, pal - our fans' opinion of Robins' tenure/achievements.

Good luck against Carlisle. I'll have a keen eye on the game, before we kick off ourselves at tea-time.

Wasn't disagreeing with your view, you've been very considered(despite some provocation!).

Just nice to have a different perspective, as any team(unlikely though that ever is), taking on Andy Thorn in the future would find out.

Most fans of clubs disagree with each other on most matters, but we're all pretty much universally agreed that Chris Coleman is shit!

WhiteyBFC

Wasn't disagreeing with your view, you've been very considered(despite some provocation!).

Just nice to have a different perspective, as any team(unlikely though that ever is), taking on Andy Thorn in the future would find out.

Most fans of clubs disagree with each other on most matters, but we're all pretty much universally agreed that Chris Coleman is shit!
The fact that Coleman selected Rob "used to score goals years ago" Earnshaw in his last Wales squad, rather than our own Craig Davies (4 goals in 6 games) automatically makes him shit in my eyes.

covcity4life

he was better than thorn

Otis

He says that Robins' football was awful to watch.

Not here it wasn't. Anything but.

covcity4life

dickinson signed on loan for robins before then?

his barsnley departure seems to have alot of simialrities to today otis

par1sons

Hello there, Sky Blues..

I see that your new manager is none other than Mark Robins, our previous gaffer.

I thought I'd share what I know with you.

As a man, he's a top bloke. Very polite, very humble, and fan-friendly.

As a manager, he's decent. Nothing more, nothing less.

He did well when appointed in 2009, and during both seasons in charge, he had us looking towards the playoffs by xmas. Unfortunately, performances after xmas were few and far between, in both campaigns, and we slipped down to the nether regions.

He was given a healthy budget (how we wish Keith Hill could be afforded the same) and signed a few quality players (Shackell, O'Brien). He also bought many duds (McEveley, Dickinson, Lovre etc).
However, he will always be known for his habit of signing loan players. He was obsessed with it, and we never knew what our side would line up like from one game to the next.

At the end of the 2010-11 season, he'd relied so heavily on loan players, that our squad was down to about 12 players, which consisted mainly of players he'd stopped selecting (most were his own signings, that he'd decided fairly quickly weren't good enough, instead preferring loanees).

It was quite worrying, and it looked as though another costly rebuild was on the cards that summer.
He kept telling the press that he had a huge list of summer targets, and was just waiting for the budget to be announced.

However, in May that year, rumours surfaced that he'd been sacked. Then other rumours denied it. Then it seemed he'd left. Then it was gardening leave.
It was so confusing at the time.

Eventually, the club announced that they'd presented Robins with his budget, to which he told them he'd "go away and think about it". The Barnsley board told him he wasn't paid to "think about it" and they parted company.

We still don't know the real reasons exactly, for his departure. But it all boiled down to money. He didn't think the budget he was given, would allow us to be competitive in the Championship.

He then touted himself to newspapers etc, saying he'd love the Cardiff job (Mackay got it). Then declared himself in the running at Sheff Utd (Wilson got it).

Meanwhile, Keith Hill took over at Oakwell, and with the budget that Robins deemed uncompetitive, he built us a cracking squad that despite getting ripped to pieces in January through injury and player sales, was enough to see us stay up.

Robins however, was overlooked for the Nottm Forest job, the Bristol job, and even the Burton and Notts County posts. He EVEN applied for his old job at Rotherham, but lost out to Steve Evans....

And now he's got your gig, a big club for him no doubt, but at a time where you are on your knees, with zero budget by the looks of it. Ironic is how I'd describe it.

Some people will credit him for his work here, and whilst he did keep us up twice, the football was awful to watch in the main.
He was obsessed with playing 2 holding midfielders, and chose to ignore the obvious talents of Jacob Butterfield in favour of his loanee Diego Arismendi, a Uruguayan defensive midfielder, who was utter gash.

Despite his hit and miss loanee recruits, he did get Keiran Trippier on loan who proved a shrewd bit of business, and has since excelled further at Burnley.

Despite signing Jim O'Brien himself, he stopped playing him after a few months, and most of us wrote 'Jimbo' off. However, like Butterfield, O'Brien thrived under Keith Hill, and it does leave you wondering whether Robins' man-management skills were up to scratch.

His interviews are as negatively dull as the football he served up.

And, as bad as it was to watch at times, his tactics were effective in the main.
He'll not give you free-flowing football, but he'll make you harder to beat. Could be just what you need.

I may sound harsh in my summary of him, but I'm only being honest.

I do believe he has potential, and his record isn't that bad when you look at it. And, to be fair, I didn't want a managerial change, none of us did. We were prepared to give him another year. Mainly because we wanted some stability, and partly down to his likeable nature as a man.

I wish you luck moving forward, and may I also thank you for Martin Cranie, who looks a class act in midfield so far.

Here's the views of some of our supporters, from our own forum...
http://v2.barnsleyfc.org.uk/showthread.php?174493-Mark-Robins

Andy :)

Oh dear, we were warned

Users who are viewing this thread