Mark Robins (a Barnsley perspective) (1 Viewer)

WhiteyBFC

Hello there, Sky Blues..

I see that your new manager is none other than Mark Robins, our previous gaffer.

I thought I'd share what I know with you.

As a man, he's a top bloke. Very polite, very humble, and fan-friendly.

As a manager, he's decent. Nothing more, nothing less.

He did well when appointed in 2009, and during both seasons in charge, he had us looking towards the playoffs by xmas. Unfortunately, performances after xmas were few and far between, in both campaigns, and we slipped down to the nether regions.

He was given a healthy budget (how we wish Keith Hill could be afforded the same) and signed a few quality players (Shackell, O'Brien). He also bought many duds (McEveley, Dickinson, Lovre etc).
However, he will always be known for his habit of signing loan players. He was obsessed with it, and we never knew what our side would line up like from one game to the next.

At the end of the 2010-11 season, he'd relied so heavily on loan players, that our squad was down to about 12 players, which consisted mainly of players he'd stopped selecting (most were his own signings, that he'd decided fairly quickly weren't good enough, instead preferring loanees).

It was quite worrying, and it looked as though another costly rebuild was on the cards that summer.
He kept telling the press that he had a huge list of summer targets, and was just waiting for the budget to be announced.

However, in May that year, rumours surfaced that he'd been sacked. Then other rumours denied it. Then it seemed he'd left. Then it was gardening leave.
It was so confusing at the time.

Eventually, the club announced that they'd presented Robins with his budget, to which he told them he'd "go away and think about it". The Barnsley board told him he wasn't paid to "think about it" and they parted company.

We still don't know the real reasons exactly, for his departure. But it all boiled down to money. He didn't think the budget he was given, would allow us to be competitive in the Championship.

He then touted himself to newspapers etc, saying he'd love the Cardiff job (Mackay got it). Then declared himself in the running at Sheff Utd (Wilson got it).

Meanwhile, Keith Hill took over at Oakwell, and with the budget that Robins deemed uncompetitive, he built us a cracking squad that despite getting ripped to pieces in January through injury and player sales, was enough to see us stay up.

Robins however, was overlooked for the Nottm Forest job, the Bristol job, and even the Burton and Notts County posts. He EVEN applied for his old job at Rotherham, but lost out to Steve Evans....

And now he's got your gig, a big club for him no doubt, but at a time where you are on your knees, with zero budget by the looks of it. Ironic is how I'd describe it.

Some people will credit him for his work here, and whilst he did keep us up twice, the football was awful to watch in the main.
He was obsessed with playing 2 holding midfielders, and chose to ignore the obvious talents of Jacob Butterfield in favour of his loanee Diego Arismendi, a Uruguayan defensive midfielder, who was utter gash.

Despite his hit and miss loanee recruits, he did get Keiran Trippier on loan who proved a shrewd bit of business, and has since excelled further at Burnley.

Despite signing Jim O'Brien himself, he stopped playing him after a few months, and most of us wrote 'Jimbo' off. However, like Butterfield, O'Brien thrived under Keith Hill, and it does leave you wondering whether Robins' man-management skills were up to scratch.

His interviews are as negatively dull as the football he served up.

And, as bad as it was to watch at times, his tactics were effective in the main.
He'll not give you free-flowing football, but he'll make you harder to beat. Could be just what you need.

I may sound harsh in my summary of him, but I'm only being honest.

I do believe he has potential, and his record isn't that bad when you look at it. And, to be fair, I didn't want a managerial change, none of us did. We were prepared to give him another year. Mainly because we wanted some stability, and partly down to his likeable nature as a man.

I wish you luck moving forward, and may I also thank you for Martin Cranie, who looks a class act in midfield so far.

Here's the views of some of our supporters, from our own forum...
http://v2.barnsleyfc.org.uk/showthread.php?174493-Mark-Robins

Andy :)

Paxman II

So we must not expect him to set the world alight then? OK but we will be hard to beat. OK The football we have been playing lately has been unattractive so not so worried there. It's league 1 we need to win ugly.

Appreciate your thoughts. Interesting to see how those thoughts translate into Robins work with us now...

ccfcway

"Dullest football in 30 years of watching Barnsley, bored me to death, despite breaking records for the number of Premiership loan signings. Whooped for joy when he was sacked."

:claping hands:

WhiteyBFC

He played (in the main) a 4-2-2-1-1 formation.

Back four had two defensive mids ahead of them. Then another two midfielders ahead of them, who sometimes were wide (like wingers) but more often were narrow like midfielders. Then a number 10 behind the target man.

However, his defensive mids were both foreign softies, and his number 10 had the pace of a dying slug.

The frustrating thing with Robins, was the fact he had good options, and chose to ignore them. Players who would have fitted in with his preferred style, but he daren't play them. Butterfield is the prime example. When he did give Jacob a game, it was largely from the bench, and usually out wide. Utterly bizarre.

Our owner has stopped helping out financially, since Keith Hill got the job. Under Robins, he paid for Gary O'Connor's £14,000 a week wages out of his own pocket. Gary O'Connor was appalling. And a drug addict.
He was then allowed to bring in Marlon Harewood similarly. And whilst he was better than O'Connor, it seemed a pointless signing at the time, as the season was over.

I do believe he'll be good for you, in terms of stabilising the club/team. If he brings his number 2 with him (John Breckin) it will help. Both Breckin and 1st team coach Nick Daws were good blokes too, and I think Breckin in particular was the brains behind the operation.

As for Martin Cranie, we've got 10 players injured, and so Keith has had to play him in a holding midfield role. And he's looked a class act.
He made his first start at right back, and was impressive there also, setting up our winner against Bristol.

Most of us (and Keith too I think) reckon he'll play centre half eventually, once our players return from injury, but from the games I've seen him play in so far, he looks a great player, and I find it hard to believe that Leeds saw him as a squad player....

WhiteyBFC

You cannot tell me Barnsley had a competitive championship budget.
Last season, we did. Keith Hill proved this.

We were about 12 points clear of the bottom three, in January.

We then lost 10 players to either long term injury or player sales (Vaz Te, Drinkwater, Butterfield, Perkins, O'Brien, Steele, Hassell and so on and so forth...). And slid down the table like a pile of steaming shit.

singers_pore

Under Robins, he paid for Gary O'Connor's £14,000 a week wages out of his own pocket. Gary O'Connor was appalling. And a drug addict...

Christ almighty. Well there's no danger of that happening here. We are paying wages of around £3,000 per week. Our players can't afford to buy drugs.:):)

Evans020

To be fair I've read when he came to you you were bottom..he guided you nine points clear ofsafety..your season petered off at the final hurdle to finish 18th, for that particular season would you not say the fact you stayed up was an achievement in itself

WhiteyBFC

To be fair I've read when he came to you you were bottom..he guided you nine points clear ofsafety..your season petered off at the final hurdle to finish 18th, for that particular season would you not say the fact you stayed up was an achievement in itself
We had a decent squad, but Simon Davey had lost the plot, the support of the fans, and importantly the confidence of the board.
We had 1 point from our first 5 games, he was sacked. We had reached the FA Cup semi's the season previously, and the budget he had (and then Robins) was huge compared to what we're working with now.

I am only offering my thoughts, on your new appointment - a guy I witnessed manage us for 2 years.

Most of us Reds fans, will tell you he achieved our minimum aim - to retain our second tier status. We thank him for that.

But most of us will also tell you, that he walked away/was sacked because he couldn't hack it, and felt the budget was uncompetitive - fact is, Keith Hill kept us up on that same budget.

Evans020

We had a decent squad, but Simon Davey had lost the plot, the support of the fans, and importantly the confidence of the board.
We had 1 point from our first 5 games, he was sacked. We had reached the FA Cup semi's the season previously, and the budget he had (and then Robins) was huge compared to what we're working with now.

I am only offering my thoughts, on your new appointment - a guy I witnessed manage us for 2 years.

Most of us Reds fans, will tell you he achieved our minimum aim - to retain our second tier status. We thank him for that.

But most of us will also tell you, that he walked away/was sacked because he couldn't hack it, and felt the budget was uncompetitive - fact is, Keith Hill kept us up on that same budget.

I'm not mocking you're opinion..
But maybe he wanted 2-3 more players that he felt could've lifted you to play off contenders..the board said no and he thought well I cannot take this team any further.

dantheman

Haven't I read the Club broke even both years he was there? No disrespect but the budget couldn't have been massive?

hill83

But maybe he wanted 2-3 more players that he felt could've lifted you to play off contenders..the board said no and he thought well I cannot take this team any further.

Leave the ifs buts and maybes to our own club. He's in a better position to comment on this than you.

WhiteyBFC

As I said, we had about 12 players left as a squad. The majority were players he'd signed, and then not selected. So it was always going to be a lot more than 2 or 3 players needed.

He himself has said, that he departed because the budget was uncompetitive. And he's entitled to that opinion, just as he was entitled to walk away.

Anyhoo, I'll leave you lot to discuss it, and I wish you luck in your future endeavours. :)

hill83

Hill he's just said they are a better team now under their new man..but statistically they are not..

And you've just been found out in your last comment to him in this thread. By all means question everything we all post about our club, but he knows more about his own club than you.

fernandopartridge

We then lost 10 players to either long term injury or player sales (Vaz Te, Drinkwater, Butterfield, Perkins, O'Brien, Steele, Hassell and so on and so forth...). And slid down the table like a pile of steaming shit.

EXACTLY, you had to sell because you didn't have the budget to keep all of those players.

Evans020

And you've just been found out in your last comment to him in this thread. By all means question everything we all post about our club, but he knows more about his own club than you.
No worries.but when a fan says their a better team without him when they are clearly not .I should just agree.we played better footy under thorn than hoofroyd but statistically did worse

hill83

No worries.but when a fan says their a better team without him when they are clearly not .I should just agree.we played better footy under thorn than hoofroyd but statistically did worse

I wasn't talking about that and haven't seen that exchange to be fair.

WhiteyBFC

Haven't I read the Club broke even both years he was there? No disrespect but the budget couldn't have been massive?
No.

We broke even (in fact, made a small profit) last season/year.

We made a loss in both of Robins' seasons here.

I'm not blaming him for that at all.
The fallout between him and our board was down to finances though. The club had had enough of overspending, and wanted to trim the wage/transfer budgets, to run the club off it's own steam, rather than relying on our owner to stem the flow of lost monies.

They put that to Mark, and he didn't like it, and they went their own ways.

Since then, Keith Hill has come in, agreed to the huge budget cuts, sold our 'better' players, reduced the wage bill, and spent nothing in transfer fees, mainly recruiting from either the lower leagues, or free agent list.

This is how we broke even last year. And to stay up whilst doing so, is testament to his ability, and the boards bravery.

We had 61% possession last night, played Blackburn off the park (with 10 inuries) but lost thanks to their £8m striker, and Nuno Gomes.
The Championship is about as fair financially as the Premier League. The clubs who do things 'properly' such as ourselves and Peterbro etc, are having to compete with those who break all the rules, such as your Blackburn's and Leicester's of this world.

Luckily, as proven over the years (Pompey, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd, yourselves) those 'bigger' clubs who overspend or aren't run correctly, will inevitably fail and drop through the divisions.
But they'll come back, because they have great support, who stick with them.

I wish you lot well, and I truly do hope you see the best of Mark Robins. Perhaps he'll come back to us and take a few of our fringe lads on loan...? He particularly liked young Reuben Noble-Lazarus during his tenure, and he could do with a loan spell to give him some experience in the lower leagues.

LJC_CCFC

No offence mate but without Vaz Te's goals you would have gone down instead of us or donny, when we beat you at home you were the worst team I'd seen all season and it also says a lot that Clive Platt got the winner.

WhiteyBFC

EXACTLY, you had to sell because you didn't have the budget to keep all of those players.
Wrong.

We gave Vaz Te a 12 month deal (on 1k a week) as let's be honest, he was a bit of a gamble.
He was awful until October, and was nearly released according to our sub goalkeeper last year. But then he hit a purple patch, and lit up the division. He then got billy big boots on us, and wanted out, stating he wouldn't play for us if we turned down West Ham's 500k bid for him. Reluctantly, and with little choice, we sold him on deadline day.
Rather that, than lose him for nowt in the summer....

Then Drinkwater who was on loan, joined Leicester permanently.

And our star player, Butterfield, was crippled on New Years Eve against Leeds, ruling him out for the season.

Not to mention the other 7 or 8 players we lost to injury (that's what you get when you carry a smaller squad, to work within your means).

We did have the budget.

Portsmouth though, didn't. They broke the rules, and went down.

WhiteyBFC

No offence mate but without Vaz Te's goals you would have gone down instead of us or donny, when we beat you at home you were the worst team I'd seen all season and it also says a lot that Clive Platt got the winner.
We would have gone down if it wasn't for Davies' 11 goals, too then yeah?

Or Butterfield's 5 goals and many assists?

Or Jim O'Brien's 7 assists? Like the one he made for Andy Gray (who scored 8 goals) against you lot at Oakwell, when with our injury-free team we played you off the park...?

Or perhaps we'd have dropped if Luke Steele hadn't played out of his skin, saving penalties that won us 6 points in 2 games...? Amongst the other match-winning saves.

Vaz Te was key from October to January, and when he and the likes of the above players were all fit, in the same side, we were top half and challenging.
Then we lost our entire midfield to injury, Drinkwater left for Leicester, and we sold Vaz Te to West Ham.

From then on in, we were dreadful. We had lost our creativity, our goals, and our already average defence were shown up as that more often.
We were unlucky to get so many injuries in such a short space of time.

As for the game at your place, every Reds fan will agree with you that that was our bleakest game last season.
We had so many players missing, and for some reason Keith went all defensive and went for a point. We hammered him on our forum for that, as even with our injury problems we had enough to beat what were the worst side in the division.

You got lucky late on, and got an undeserved winner. It was a truly awful game, and our form went from bad to shocking after that, and we were fortunate enough to have gained enough points to stave off relegation.

LJC_CCFC

We would have gone down if it wasn't for Davies' 11 goals, too then yeah?

Or Butterfield's 5 goals and many assists?

Or Jim O'Brien's 7 assists? Like the one he made for Andy Gray (who scored 8 goals) against you lot at Oakwell, when with our injury-free team we played you off the park...?

Or perhaps we'd have dropped if Luke Steele hadn't played out of his skin, saving penalties that won us 6 points in 2 games...? Amongst the other match-winning saves.

Vaz Te was key from October to January, and when he and the likes of the above players were all fit, in the same side, we were top half and challenging.
Then we lost our entire midfield to injury, Drinkwater left for Leicester, and we sold Vaz Te to West Ham.

From then on in, we were dreadful. We had lost our creativity, our goals, and our already average defence were shown up as that more often.
We were unlucky to get so many injuries in such a short space of time.

As for the game at your place, every Reds fan will agree with you that that was our bleakest game last season.
We had so many players missing, and for some reason Keith went all defensive and went for a point. We hammered him on our forum for that, as even with our injury problems we had enough to beat what were the worst side in the division.

You got lucky late on, and got an undeserved winner. It was a truly awful game, and our form went from bad to shocking after that, and we were fortunate enough to have gained enough points to stave off relegation.

What your just confirming to me is that, the period when Vaz Te was banging them in for fun was what kept you up. Let's face if we had of had Vaz Te last year we would of stayed up. Despite the home game being a load of crap, we were still the better team by a mile, Im pretty sure you didn't have a shot on Target. You were saved by Vaz Te without him you were the joint worst team in the division with Donny. Also you will go down this year easily

WhiteyBFC

What your just confirming to me is that, the period when Vaz Te was banging them in for fun was what kept you up. Let's face if we had of had Vaz Te last year we would of stayed up. Despite the home game being a load of crap, we were still the better team by a mile, Im pretty sure you didn't have a shot on Target. You were saved by Vaz Te without him you were the joint worst team in the division with Donny. Also you will go down this year easily
But we did have Vaz Te.

A free agent that nobody else (including you) wanted.

The period that kept us up, was a 4 game winning run, where Davies, Butterfield and Vaz Te were on form together.

Only an imbecile would suggest just one player kept us up.
The injuries to Butterfield, Perkins, O'Brien and Steele were much more of a contributory factor in our poor slump.

We weren't the worst side in the division.
You, Donny and Pompey went down.
We beat you all at Oakwell, without conceding a goal.

We are in the second tier because we deserve to be. Wheras, you're in the pub league because......

As for suggesting we'll "easily" go down this time, then fair enough, you're entitled to that opinion. However, I'm pretty satisfied with 7 points from our first 6 games, and I'm looking forward to Saturday tea time, as we go to Birmingham City live on Sky.
I'll leave you to worry about being relegated to the basement division, as you prepare to entertain Carlisle....

I've been nothing but courteous today, and have nothing against you as a club.

Good luck for the season.

LJC_CCFC

But we did have Vaz Te.

A free agent that nobody else (including you) wanted.

The period that kept us up, was a 4 game winning run, where Davies, Butterfield and Vaz Te were on form together.

Only an imbecile would suggest just one player kept us up.
The injuries to Butterfield, Perkins, O'Brien and Steele were much more of a contributory factor in our poor slump.

We weren't the worst side in the division.
You, Donny and Pompey went down.
We beat you all at Oakwell, without conceding a goal.

We are in the second tier because we deserve to be. Wheras, you're in the pub league because......

As for suggesting we'll "easily" go down this time, then fair enough, you're entitled to that opinion. However, I'm pretty satisfied with 7 points from our first 6 games, and I'm looking forward to Saturday tea time, as we go to Birmingham City live on Sky.
I'll leave you to worry about being relegated to the basement division, as you prepare to entertain Carlisle....

I've been nothing but courteous today, and have nothing against you as a club.

Good luck for the season.

I have nothing against you and am thankful for your input, but for me we were a goalscorer away from staying up e.g Marlon King who left from Brum in the summer. So when I see your top goalscorer leaving and then your form dipping awfully I suppose it is just too much of a coincidence.

dantheman

No.

We broke even (in fact, made a small profit) last season/year.

We made a loss in both of Robins' seasons here.

I'm not blaming him for that at all.
The fallout between him and our board was down to finances though. The club had had enough of overspending, and wanted to trim the wage/transfer budgets, to run the club off it's own steam, rather than relying on our owner to stem the flow of lost monies.

They put that to Mark, and he didn't like it, and they went their own ways.

Since then, Keith Hill has come in, agreed to the huge budget cuts, sold our 'better' players, reduced the wage bill, and spent nothing in transfer fees, mainly recruiting from either the lower leagues, or free agent list.

This is how we broke even last year. And to stay up whilst doing so, is testament to his ability, and the boards bravery.

We had 61% possession last night, played Blackburn off the park (with 10 inuries) but lost thanks to their £8m striker, and Nuno Gomes.
The Championship is about as fair financially as the Premier League. The clubs who do things 'properly' such as ourselves and Peterbro etc, are having to compete with those who break all the rules, such as your Blackburn's and Leicester's of this world.

Luckily, as proven over the years (Pompey, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd, yourselves) those 'bigger' clubs who overspend or aren't run correctly, will inevitably fail and drop through the divisions.
But they'll come back, because they have great support, who stick with them.

I wish you lot well, and I truly do hope you see the best of Mark Robins. Perhaps he'll come back to us and take a few of our fringe lads on loan...? He particularly liked young Reuben Noble-Lazarus during his tenure, and he could do with a loan spell to give him some experience in the lower leagues.

That is definitely not correct.Just phoned a colleague`(barnsley fan) and he confirmed that your chairman Don Rowins stated that they had broken even under Robins 2 years there and they had no worries regarding the financial fair play.

dantheman

Wrong.

We gave Vaz Te a 12 month deal (on 1k a week) as let's be honest, he was a bit of a gamble.
He was awful until October, and was nearly released according to our sub goalkeeper last year. But then he hit a purple patch, and lit up the division. He then got billy big boots on us, and wanted out, stating he wouldn't play for us if we turned down West Ham's 500k bid for him. Reluctantly, and with little choice, we sold him on deadline day.
Rather that, than lose him for nowt in the summer....

Then Drinkwater who was on loan, joined Leicester permanently.

And our star player, Butterfield, was crippled on New Years Eve against Leeds, ruling him out for the season.

Not to mention the other 7 or 8 players we lost to injury (that's what you get when you carry a smaller squad, to work within your means).

We did have the budget.

Portsmouth though, didn't. They broke the rules, and went down.

If they hadn't you would have gone down.

stupot07

Don't worry Whitey, I'm sure we will see soon enough about his managerial style.

What you have said worries me.

Feel free to pop back and say 'told you so' in 6 months time.

Users who are viewing this thread