Mark Robins (a Barnsley perspective) (1 Viewer)

Nonleagueherewecome

But for all we know, Whitey to Robins could be what Duffy is to Thorn! I'd rather asses things objectively.

Nonleagueherewecome

Mucca Mad Boys

When Cranie played midfield a few times, I liked him there, so I'm not sureprised he is playing there, bit lightweight for CB.

Mucca Mad Boys

Not Hill's fault or anything, but, had it not been for the 10 pt deduction, Barnsley would be in L1 and Cov would've went down weeks ago, so Hill can't be much better than Robins as he technically got relegated. Just saying. Get what I'm saying?

Having said that, Barnsley may have went into a crazy fight mode and stayed up and sent Brizzle down if Pompey dint have the deduction. We just don't know.

Otis

Seen a few negative comments about Hill so there you go.

The general feeling I have concluded from reading forums etc. is that Robins did well in his other two jobs.

hill83

Seen a few negative comments about Hill so there you go.

The general feeling I have concluded from reading forums etc. is that Robins did well in his other two jobs.

What have I done?

Harry Krishner

Thanks to any Barnsley posters for their well-balanced appraisal of our new manager.

As you've probably gathered, posts of that nature - and length - are a little beyond one or two of the regulars on here.

Tonylinc

My thanks also go to Whitey for his honest comments on our new Manager. Why do we attack other fans who come on here in peace? I have to admit that I am not filled with confidence after reading the comments but at least Mr.R does have the right surname. I seem to recall another Robbins doing quite well whilst at the club. An omen perhaps????

Nonleagueherewecome

"When the Sky Blue Robins comes bob, bob, bobbing along" :p

Nonleagueherewecome

You should try and start that one on the terraces NLHWC :guitar2: :)

I know, I reckon it could really catch on! I'll down a few on Saturday at 2:55 and see if I can manage it-B21 isn't the most vocal, though.

skybluesloyal83

i know a couple of Barnsley season ticket holders and they pretty much said the same thing as WhiteyBFC...he's not a bad manager and he'll probably stabilise us but dont expect any miracles. Although they did say that the quality of football did decline under Robins...i hope to god his style of play isnt aidy boothrooyd style, sore neck hoof ball. Things are bad enough without watching another season of that shite

Nonleagueherewecome

The quality of football couldn't decline much more-Jesus, we don't even have enough of a % of possession to know what our "style" is other than just "shite".

Brighton Sky Blue

Clearly some of us here not taking well to being in a lower division than a team we used to look down on. It's that kind of lack of humility that won't endear us to many folk...

Brighton Sky Blue

But we're a 'big club'..... :eek:

We can't muster 10,000 at home games, we're second bottom of the fricking third tier, and we haven't been a big fish in the Championship for at least half a dozen years. This club has a proud history of fighting against the odds which is long gone and is now a shadow of a shadow of its former self-anyone giving it the big 'un to fans of teams in the league above needs a smack in the face.

stupot07

We can't muster 10,000 at home games, we're second bottom of the fricking third tier, and we haven't been a big fish in the Championship for at least half a dozen years. This club has a proud history of fighting against the odds which is long gone and is now a shadow of a shadow of its former self-anyone giving it the big 'un to fans of teams in the league above needs a smack in the face.

I completely agree with you! I don't believe we are a 'big club'

Brighton Sky Blue

I completely agree with you! I don't believe we are a 'big club'

The Stokes and Wigans of this world are the modern Coventrys and Derbys of yesteryear-small top flight clubs who defy the odds to stay there, and that's the best they can all ever aspire to be. Unless Robins is a miracle worker we can't even hope for those days any time soon-people point to Norwich and Southampton but both clubs were considerably better backed financially than we are likely to be under the current regime.

stupot07

The Stokes and Wigans of this world are the modern Coventrys and Derbys of yesteryear-small top flight clubs who defy the odds to stay there, and that's the best they can all ever aspire to be. Unless Robins is a miracle worker we can't even hope for those days any time soon-people point to Norwich and Southampton but both clubs were considerably better backed financially than we are likely to be under the current regime.

Your not wrong. I don't think Norwich and Southampton's recent success has helped in terms of our fans expectations.

Brighton Sky Blue

Your not wrong. I don't think Norwich and Southampton's recent success has helped in terms of our fans expectations.

Sheff Weds finished 16th in their first year down. Preston struggled big time, Leeds took a number of seasons to get out, and Charlton also took their time to know what was required to get back up. A PNE fan I was speaking to a few weeks ago told me our situation reminded him a lot of how they were last season-lots of players who have technical ability but no muscle or grit, and worse than that, an unjustified arrogance. Under Westley they have a man who knows exactly what is required, the primadonnas were all booted out and the rewards are there for all to see-I hope Robins has that kind of impact (and can pull it off sooner).

No.

We broke even (in fact, made a small profit) last season/year.

We made a loss in both of Robins' seasons here.

I'm not blaming him for that at all.
The fallout between him and our board was down to finances though. The club had had enough of overspending, and wanted to trim the wage/transfer budgets, to run the club off it's own steam, rather than relying on our owner to stem the flow of lost monies.

They put that to Mark, and he didn't like it, and they went their own ways.

Since then, Keith Hill has come in, agreed to the huge budget cuts, sold our 'better' players, reduced the wage bill, and spent nothing in transfer fees, mainly recruiting from either the lower leagues, or free agent list.

This is how we broke even last year. And to stay up whilst doing so, is testament to his ability, and the boards bravery.

We had 61% possession last night, played Blackburn off the park (with 10 inuries) but lost thanks to their £8m striker, and Nuno Gomes.
The Championship is about as fair financially as the Premier League. The clubs who do things 'properly' such as ourselves and Peterbro etc, are having to compete with those who break all the rules, such as your Blackburn's and Leicester's of this world.

Luckily, as proven over the years (Pompey, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd, yourselves) those 'bigger' clubs who overspend or aren't run correctly, will inevitably fail and drop through the divisions.
But they'll come back, because they have great support, who stick with them.

I wish you lot well, and I truly do hope you see the best of Mark Robins. Perhaps he'll come back to us and take a few of our fringe lads on loan...? He particularly liked young Reuben Noble-Lazarus during his tenure, and he could do with a loan spell to give him some experience in the lower leagues.
As a Leicester fan, if our owners have the money they can buy whoever they want

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

But we did have Vaz Te.

A free agent that nobody else (including you) wanted.

The period that kept us up, was a 4 game winning run, where Davies, Butterfield and Vaz Te were on form together.

Only an imbecile would suggest just one player kept us up.
The injuries to Butterfield, Perkins, O'Brien and Steele were much more of a contributory factor in our poor slump.

We weren't the worst side in the division.
You, Donny and Pompey went down.
We beat you all at Oakwell, without conceding a goal.

We are in the second tier because we deserve to be. Wheras, you're in the pub league because......

As for suggesting we'll "easily" go down this time, then fair enough, you're entitled to that opinion. However, I'm pretty satisfied with 7 points from our first 6 games, and I'm looking forward to Saturday tea time, as we go to Birmingham City live on Sky.
I'll leave you to worry about being relegated to the basement division, as you prepare to entertain Carlisle....

I've been nothing but courteous today, and have nothing against you as a club.

Good luck for the season.

Cheers pal, everything youve said I've agreed with, ignore some of the divs on here. But you spoilted it a bit; No need for handbag remarks such as 's we go to Birmingham City live on Sky.
I'll leave you to worry about being relegated to the basement division, as you prepare to entertain Carlisle
' If i wanted to be childish, I could say it shows how small you are that youre so proud of the fact you're playing blues and its on sky:facepalm: Don't forget, you've had 8years in the champ and a decent cup run, we spent 34 years in the top flight and won the cup.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Cheers pal, everything youve said I've agreed with, ignore some of the divs on here. But you spoilted it a bit; No need for handbag remarks such as 's we go to Birmingham City live on Sky.
I'll leave you to worry about being relegated to the basement division, as you prepare to entertain Carlisle
' If i wanted to be childish, I could say it shows how small you are that youre so proud of the fact you're playing blues and its on sky:facepalm: Don't forget, you've had 8years in the champ and a decent cup run, we spent 34 years in the top flight and won the cup.
Just leave it, everyone with half a brain cell knows we are a bigger club than Barnsley. They are enjoying a current high in there history whilst we are on a low, let them bask in there current success.

The interviewer of Robins today summed it up when he said this the biggest job of your managerial career

WhiteyBFC

I have nothing against you and am thankful for your input, but for me we were a goalscorer away from staying up e.g Marlon King who left from Brum in the summer. So when I see your top goalscorer leaving and then your form dipping awfully I suppose it is just too much of a coincidence.
Forgive me, as I respond to some of these posts.

Having seen you against us at both Oakwell, and your place, I would agree wholeheartedly with you that you were lacking up front.
But please don't take a look at our stats, or goalscoring lists and assume something. I was at every home game, and around 10 away fixtures. And whilst Vaz Te may have been top goalscorer (he scored 2 braces, and a hat-trick btw) he was not the key element that saw us retain our status.

He was a substitute until the New Year (check it if you don't believe me).

It was a collection of players that proved key. But if I had to single any of them out, I'd suggest either Jacob Butterfield (who carried us from August to November) or Luke Steele (our keeper and POTY) were the most consistent.

So, to lose Butterfield on NYE against Leeds (Vaz Te replaced him and then hit that hat-trick), and Steele a couple of weeks later, were huge blows.
All of a sudden, the man who had pulled the strings in midfield had gone, and both Vaz Te and Craig Davies' goals dried up.
Vaz Te was then sold on deadline day, which of course contributed to our dismal form in the run-in.

WhiteyBFC

That is definitely not correct.Just phoned a colleague`(barnsley fan) and he confirmed that your chairman Don Rowins stated that they had broken even under Robins 2 years there and they had no worries regarding the financial fair play.
Don 'Rowing' is not our chairman. He is general manager.

And he certainly hasn't ever stated that we broke even under Robins. Far from it.

Last season was the first year we'd broke even/made a profit, since 2008, ironically the year before Mark Robins was appointed...

But, believe what you want.

WhiteyBFC

If they hadn't you would have gone down.
Ok then.

I prefer to look at it like this -

If Admin FC had used their abacus correctly, they'd have realised they couldn't afford to spend £1.5m on Erik Huyseklepp, 800k on Jason Pearce, as well as recruiting the likes of Varney, Norris and Kitson on lucrative contracts..

But, they chose to commit themselves to players they couldn't afford, and despite this 'cheating' they still struggled, and after their warranted 10 point deduction, they finished 8 points behind us.

So, even taking away the deduction, they were only 2 points better than us. Despite paying the likes of Tal Ben-Haim 35k a week.

Only a short-sighted football 'fan' would suggest we were lucky to stay up due to Admin FC's deduction.

They broke the rules, we didn't.
Simple as that.

And let's be fair, they had previous... and IMO, should have received the Glasgow Rangers treatment and been demoted to the basement division.

WhiteyBFC

Don't worry Whitey, I'm sure we will see soon enough about his managerial style.

What you have said worries me.

Feel free to pop back and say 'told you so' in 6 months time.
I won't have any reason to pop back and do that, pal.

I think (and have said) he'll be good for you. In the short-term especially. I expect him to make you hard to beat, and let's be honest, other than perhaps Sheff Utd, you're the big hitters of that division. So I wouldn't be surprised to see Mark guide you back up to the Championship at the first attempt.

But, as I say also, if (and it's only an if) he repeats his mistakes whilst BFC manager (loan after loan, negative football, not creating assets) then he'll not be Mr Popular with your fanbase.

I did say in my original post, that I didn't want a managerial change when he departed. The BFC fans were still behind him, with just a few murmurings of discontent.

I think that sentence got lost in the wash, as far as a few of your supporters have read it.

Moff

Whitey BFC.

First thanks for your thoughts on Robins. He may be true to what you described, he may not. We shall wait and see as it cant get much worse than at present, so hopefully the only way is up.

As you can see some people get tribal when a fan from another club comes on.Not all of us though. People all have different opinions I suppose! My view is that you are in the Championship, we are in the league below, which in football terms means at present you are a better team than us.

Best of luck to Barnsley for the season...I can only dream we will be playing you next year back in The Championship when Robins refloats our sinking ship ;)

dantheman

Don 'Rowing' is not our chairman. He is general manager.

And he certainly hasn't ever stated that we broke even under Robins. Far from it.

Last season was the first year we'd broke even/made a profit, since 2008, ironically the year before Mark Robins was appointed...

But, believe what you want.

http://www.barnsley-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/club_finally_release_statement_on_robins_677835/index.shtml

I will believe "your" clubs official statement thanks.If you want to come on here trying to neg us out at least tell the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread