Match Thread Mansfield Match Thread (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

Ah yeh good point, players that finished comfortably 16th in the Championship have suddenly become below par L1 players based on a pre season game away at Cheltenham.

You’re talking about tonights game (pre season) and getting uptight because some of their fans think they did well? We’ve had them players available against lower league opposition twice and lost both

slowpoke

Best services ever, Helen, the night manager at KFC gives blowjobs for a tenner, honestly, just ask her!
In my taxi days going back a few years could tell you some stories of the upstairs rooms at the Bell Green KFC it was busier than the down stairs.

Irish Sky Blue

Game of opinions innit:

He certainly worked hard but really had very little service and therefore didn't achieve a lot. Interesting that he has been played on his own up front against Seville, Cheltenham and Mansfield but Waghorn and Gyokores have been played as a pair. From last season and the friendlies we have played this, I can't see Walker succeeding as a loan striker. He doesn't seem to have the physicality needed to play that role. It will be good to see what he can do playing with another striker.

shmmeee

He certainly worked hard but really had very little service and therefore didn't achieve a lot. Interesting that he has been played on his own up front against Seville, Cheltenham and Mansfield but Waghorn and Gyokores have been played as a pair. From last season and the friendlies we have played this, I can't see Walker succeeding as a loan striker. He doesn't seem to have the physicality needed to play that role. It will be good to see what he can do playing with another striker.

I think the real problem with one up front is we don’t dominate games like we did in L1 so the AMs get pulled back to DM and a massive gap opens up.

In L1 we had Shipley virtually playing as a second striker and Walsh and O’Hare and the wingbacks up in support.

procdoc

I think if Godden was fit we would have played two up front in all of the friendlies

OffenhamSkyBlue

Can i ask if others are worried by the lack of goals scored, or is this just the usual pre-season "minutes under the belt" thing? If not, we're gonna get spanked in the league.
Thanks

Frostie

Why can't he play with Gyo or Waghorn?
He's clearly more effective in a 2, I can't understand the thinking behind it.

I'm slightly surprised by this too. With only the 3 of them fit he obviously has to rotate but I think Walker is the least suited of them to the lone striker role.
I can only think he wants Gyok & Waghorn to play together & develop a partnership - there's been promising signs tbf.

Deity

Seems very mixed views on Rocky last night …. I’ve not seen him play ….

can anyone give a balanced overview of what they have seen in him so far ?

Irish Sky Blue

Can i ask if others are worried by the lack of goals scored, or is this just the usual pre-season "minutes under the belt" thing? If not, we're gonna get spanked in the league.
Thanks
I wouldn't be worried.
In the games I have seen there has been a mix of players likely to start and those unlikely or even very unlikely to get many first team minutes. Add to this that from the 60 minute mark there have been several substitutions that have inevitably disrupted, even weakened the team.

I felt that Hamer, O'Hare and Allen have looked sharp in the minutes that they have had and that Waghorn and Gyokores both looked sharp and seemed to have a reasonable partnership building. Walker,unfortunately, hasn't had the chance to play with a partner yet. Of the 4 strikers we have, perhaps only Godden could be effective in the loan striker role, a role which despite all his critics on here, Biamou did reasonably well in last season. At the moment, due to Godden's injury, playing one up front is possibly not an option.

Jones has been okay without having the creative spark that he has shown in the past. It's great to see him playing again and with time hopefully he can get back up to speed. There were some real pieces of magic from Enobakhare last night. Can he produce them in the Championship? I think he can and he will.

I wouldn't be downhearted about preseason results. When up to full strength I think we will be competitive at the back and in midfield and may have a bit more of a cutting edge up front this season with Gyokores and Waghorn.

D

Deleted member 11652

I wouldn't be worried.
In the games I have seen there has been a mix of players likely to start and those unlikely or even very unlikely to get many first team minutes. Add to this that from the 60 minute mark there have been several substitutions that have inevitably disrupted, even weakened the team.

I felt that Hamer, O'Hare and Allen have looked sharp in the minutes that they have had and that Waghorn and Gyokores both looked sharp and seemed to have a reasonable partnership building. Walker,unfortunately, hasn't had the chance to play with a partner yet. Of the 4 strikers we have, perhaps only Godden could be effective in the loan striker role, a role which despite all his critics on here, Biamou did reasonably well in last season. At the moment, due to Godden's injury, playing one up front is possibly not an option.

Jones has been okay without having the creative spark that he has shown in the past. It's great to see him playing again and with time hopefully he can get back up to speed. There were some real pieces of magic from Enobakhare last night. Can he produce them in the Championship? I think he can and he will.

I wouldn't be downhearted about preseason results. When up to full strength I think we will be competitive at the back and in midfield and may have a bit more of a cutting edge up front this season with Gyokores and Waghorn.

Every single one of our strikers are a better option as a lone striker than Biamou

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I can't see him working as a lone striker either. Why is he not varying it up, giving each of them some game time as a lone striker and playing the other two as a pair to see what happens?

I think if Godden was fit we would have played two up front in all of the friendlies

But he isn't. So we haven't. It's just strange that Walker has always been the lone striker and Waghorn/Gyo have played as the two. Surely at the very least you'd vary it a bit to see which two work best together and who is best suited to the lone role.

Of the three, Walker to me seems the least suited to it. He's a goalscorer who will put the ball in the net if someone creates chances for him i.e. a strike partner. If he's having to do the donkey work he's not going to be in the positions to put the ball in the net and it's pretty much a waste of time playing him.

It's like Chaplin all over again. We chased him for ages, paid a decent fee and despite every single report saying he worked best with a strike partner we consistently played him on his own, and he didn't succeed. I've said it before but MR really doesn't seem to get as much out of strikers as he should. Even the successes like McNulty only occurred because we switched from MR's preferred formation due to injury and the change suited him.

junglej13

Notice Chay Thompson shared the teamsheet. Looks like Bright has 11. Interesting that it appears Rocky was given number 12.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210728-111444.png
    Screenshot_20210728-111444.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 40

DannyThomas_1981

Every single one of our strikers are a better option as a lone striker than Biamou

That one statement right there proves you have zero knowledge of the game - or most likely actually didn't see any of our games last year. In Godden's absence last season Max was by far the most effective in the lone striker role. But I guess you know better than Robins right?

D

Deleted member 11652

That one statement right there proves you have zero knowledge of the game - or most likely actually didn't see any of our games last year. In Godden's absence last season Max was by far the most effective in the lone striker role. But I guess you know better than Robins right?

Why has Robins let go of the best finisher and athlete at the club?

Deity

We all admired Biamou’s industry and attitude but he’s not clinical enough to play at the Championship level if you have ambitions to progress.

clint van damme

We all admired Biamou’s industry and attitude but he’s not clinical enough to play at the Championship level if you have ambitions to progress.

I agree but the point was he's a better lone striker than Walker and he has a point.
Walker is a far better player but he struggles on his own, I cant see the logic behind it (playing Walker on his own that is, not letting Biamou go).

Skybluebeliever

Seems very mixed views on Rocky last night …. I’ve not seen him play ….

can anyone give a balanced overview of what they have seen in him so far ?
He is clearly not match fit , can’t see us progressing , I think we have utilised some of these players to enable the games to be played

shmmeee

He is clearly not match fit , can’t see us progressing , I think we have utilised some of these players to enable the games to be played

Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t see why you wouldn’t play one of the academy kids over a trialist you’ve no intention of signing.

Grendel

The same Robins that refused to offer him a deal

Skybluebeliever

Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t see why you wouldn’t play one of the academy kids over a trialist you’ve no intention of signing.
The academy lads are playing a lot of games too and played a part in last night , you also don’t want to “ruin” the academy players and build them up

shmmeee

The academy lads are playing a lot of games too and played a part in last night , you also don’t want to “ruin” the academy players and build them up

I think what I’m saying is I don’t understand why giving an academy kid a run out in a preseason friendly would ruin them.

D

Deleted member 11652

Not what he said is it Dom

Sad mate, ‘really, really fucking sad’

COV

What’s this got to do with the match?

Skybluebeliever

I think what I’m saying is I don’t understand why giving an academy kid a run out in a preseason friendly would ruin them.
I don’t think they want to take the risk , Ryan howley has does brilliantly though but looking at the others they are not strong enough at the moment

David O'Day

what a weird reply Dom

Care to tell us where DT said those things about Biamou?

Ccfcisparks

what a weird reply Dom

Care to tell us where DT said those things about Biamou?

There you go David O'Drunk

Frostie

He's definitely with a view to signing, just want to assess where he's at & if he'll fit in.

Users who are viewing this thread