Match Thread Luton Match Thread (Home) (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueMatt

The bottom line is we are not good enough for top 6 and never were. No need to over anayze things or beat ourselves up. Just hope we have a decent end to the season and build some momentum for next term.

I'm going to try to enjoy rest of the season. Some decent fixtures coming up where victory would be very sweet, starting with those gobshites on Saturday.
This is it. I know we've just lost but I don't believe you're being that negative.

Playoffs was something to hope & pray for, apart from a couple of optimistic souls. If you said you thought we could get play offs at the start, I'd call you a liar.

It was always going to be a tough ask and unfortunately it looks like we're going to fall short.

Let's finish strong and improve on last season.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SBT

Have to say the way we’ve managed the forwards at this club over the past two years is bizarre - spent substantial amounts on four strikers and apparently have no idea about how to play them together, or if they should even be at the club at all.

pusbccfc

While it was a good chance, a diving header while being challenged easier?

Worth watching the O'Hare one again Nick. You're desperate to make it out as a sitter when it just wasn't.

It's incredible seeing one chance be so highlighted when it's not even in the top 5 easiest chances in the last few games.

CCFC54321

To state the obvious - Quality at the top end has been the difference in most games of late. Feel sorry for Gyökeres at times (aside from when he was throwing himself, corkscrewing through the air) - we need to bring in two decent attacking midfielders in the summer with pace and who contribute with goals. Of all our assets O'Hare would be the one to cash in on for me. Works hard but that part of the team is letting us down so badly at the min.
I’d rip that midfield up next season. Build around hamer and make some bloody tough decisions on some players and yes I’ll kick off with o’hare being sold to reinvest and even sheaf moving on for a fee. If we have the opportunity to sell some of the assists to bring in a bigger and better squad I’m up for that.

Let’s also look at the scoring charts for some of them since being at the club…

Allen- 8/9 over three seasons?
Sheaf - 0 goals in two seasons
O’hare - 8/9 over three seasons
Dabo- attacking wing back- 0 goals in three seasons
Shipley- say no more
Kane- one cross that went in v Bournemouth
Waghorn- 1 goal in 3/4 season

I could go on…. It’s shocking returns. Goals win games and we’re lucky to be where we are.

Sky Blue Harry H

Not read any posts (after kick off) Frustrating, but no lack of effort. Wasn't that impressed with Luton (lot of time wasting/playing the ref) Kane did a lot of good defensive stuff, but a lot of poor attacking play from him) Rose - haven't seen the replay, but looked a howler, plus some iffy passing first half. Hamer - some great driving runs that deserved better in the first half. Overall, deserved something. Missed a finisher. Godden/Wagorn will have benefitted from game time (but oh for a nippy striker alongside Gyo tonight). We were as good as Luton (maybe better) but if you don't score, you don't win. Well done our crowd for sticking with the team.

Blind-Faith

Just back from the game and watched the highlights, it’s our finishing that’s killing us, chance after chance after chance , either straight at the keeper or wide/over the bar. Both Godden and big Vik are in double figures this season, we really need our midfielders to start chipping in with a few goals.

skyblu3sk

I’d rip that midfield up next season. Build around hamer and make some bloody tough decisions on some players and yes I’ll kick off with o’hare being sold to reinvest and even sheaf moving on for a fee. If we have the opportunity to sell some of the assists to bring in a bigger and better squad I’m up for that.

Shipley- say no more

I could go on…. It’s shocking returns. Goals win games and we’re lucky to be where we are.
Not saying that isn't an issue but generally goals cost money over and above a solid defence. I'm not sure who we get better for budget without taking risks on players.

shepardo01

We are a good side.
We create chances....lots of them...statistically the 2nd most in the division.
Also statistically we conceded few chances....statistically the 3rd least in the division.... although last 2 games we have conceded 4 goals from 6 shots on target!!

We are close... so close but so frustratingly it is the same old story... miss chances... concede from a mistake/gifted chance....

Can anybody say that Luton were better than us tonight? Did they cause us problems?
No... they are 6th and nearly beat Chelsea last week....

We weren't really that bad tonight.... just again, so so frustrating....

junglej13

Shipley- say no more

Completely agree. We have a solid enough base but in this system the two attacking midfielders and the wingbacks need to contribute in the goals and assists column. I'm not interested in how many fouls they win or other nonsense stats. Gyökeres doesn't look a natural finisher to me but he's so focal to all our good play. Hamer is head and shoulders above any other player who has played here for years so I wouldn't want to see us cash in on either of those two yet (although it's inevitable in the future). O'Hare has a value and a decent fee for him would enable us to strengthen.

SkyBlueMatt

We all saw this issue in January but seemingly the club didn't.
No of course they didn't but some guys on a Internet forum did. Unfortunately this isn't Football Manager, the right player or finances just aren't available.

January is never a good time to bring in players when you're desperate.

Look at Bidwell, a player with more championship experience than anyone in our squad and some are treating him like he's a pariah.

I'm OK with the fact we didn't risk it in January. I know we haven't had a promotion in 2 season but its not all bad.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

larry_david

Hear that Bidwell is out for six weeks? Either we have the worst luck with injuries in the world or our medical department is simply not up to scratch. It was the same last season as well, it’s ridiculous.
Did I dream it or did he pull up after about 20 mins on Saturday and they left him on for another 30-40 mins?

Finham

Shipley- say no more

I like how you don't quote Shipley's relatively prolific strike-rate so it doesn't look like a reason to put him in the team. ;)

larry_david

Was there even an obvious tactic tonight? Wing backs that don't attack so what do we have? I can't wait for dabo back on sat, he's straight in for me.

I fear we've been 'found out'

shmmeee

We all saw this issue in January but seemingly the club didn't.

I know we don’t have an Avenue to ask it, but questions need asking if the owners WTF the plan is because fewer than 20 senior players ain’t it.

pusbccfc

Was there even an obvious tactic tonight? Wing backs that don't attack so what do we have? I can't wait for dabo back on sat, he's straight in for me.

I fear we've been 'found out'

Our tactic and style of play went out the window in December when our pitch turned into a bobbling mess.

Mcbean

I know one things for sure that the time wasting and fake injury is killing the sportsmanship in football ! Can I get a Nathan Jones toy - it will amuse the children for hours

Terry Gibson's perm

We have to start scoring the first goal in games otherwise you get the same old boring time wasting rubbish that these teams constantly produce, the referees don’t help either letting them get away with it. The number 11 was lying down in our half for ages waiting for the game to stop and then a miracle recovery. The full back stole ten yards on nearly every throw in.

We need to get nastier when their players are lying down we need to get in there tread on their fingers or a sneaky boot in the back they will soon get up and then you make a fuss about the dive, as a sneaky shit we miss Michael Doyle he learnt from Denis Wise how to help the ref manage the game.

Sbarcher

Their No. 11 played our defence like a fiddle. Pushing his arms backwards all of the time and creating space for himself. We need a clever beast up front.

skyblue1991

We know SISU haven't given much to Robins in terms of backing, but do Luton really have a bigger budget than us?

Their average attendance is nearly half of ours yet they look a good team that can grind out wins.

Why can they do it and not us?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

We know SISU haven't given much to Robins in terms of backing, but do Luton really have a bigger budget than us?

Their average attendance is nearly half of ours yet they look a good team that can grind out wins.

Why can they do it and not us?

A season ahead of us in this division, deeper squad, and they were very fortunate last night.

skyblue1991

A season ahead of us in this division, deeper squad, and they were very fortunate last night.
They may have been fortunate last night with their one chance but I thought they looked a team that can and evidently have caused teams problems this season

Deeper squad is probably what it is. People saying we are only a couple of signings away from being a top 6 side. I disagree, we need 4-5 players to replace those being released or pushed to the bench due to not being good enough to start.

Accept it's a work in progress but when you've been in and close to the top 6 this season it's frustrating when it's slipping away game by game

Ever the optimist though and it could change again with a win on Saturday

Users who are viewing this thread