Match Thread Luton (A) Wed 29th Sep. 19.45 ko (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2477
  • Start date

Garryb80

Ok.

Why is he without a club? I don’t know.

Perhaps he left it late and had expected a new contract and his agent hadn’t got a back up.

There’s a post Covid situation where clubs aren’t splashing wages out on a whim as well.

What might be good for us (experience of our style) isn’t necessarily good for other Champ clubs because he would need time to bed in. At 30, time isn’t on your side. That said, Waghorn is 31.

I thought he did ok for us and was an ok backup striker who could cover if Vik was unavailable/ to bring on to stop Vik getting burn out, particularly when Walker and Godden etc were unavailable at that moment in time.

If you are expecting the answer to be “no one signed him because he’s shit and my thoughts are wrong” then ok.

There you go. Enjoy.
Expected a new contract...Robins told him before the season ended he wasn't getting one. He has since had at least 5 months to find a club. The post covid argument also isn't really that valid. If somebody wanted him they would sign him. Even players like hiwula found a club. Baka walked into a new club easily.
Maybe just maybe you are wrong and he just isn't that good.

The Philosopher

Expected a new contract...Robins told him before the season ended he wasn't getting one. He has since had at least 5 months to find a club. The post covid argument also isn't really that valid. If somebody wanted him they would sign him. Even players like hiwula found a club. Baka walked into a new club easily.
Maybe just maybe you are wrong and he just isn't that good.
Look, I’m seriously bored of this now.

He was told in the news by MR in Feb that he was “playing his way to a new contract”

13 weeks later the season ends and he’s not given one. Perhaps he presumed he was getting one, perhaps he was strung along to get the best out of him, perhaps we didn’t know who we were to sign.

Don’t know. Don’t care.

He’s gone. That’s that. You don’t think he was good enough so clearly he wasn’t.

Others disagree but you say he’s no good so he’s no good.

What are you trying to evidence your Hiwula argument (he was without a club for months).

That sometimes players don’t get signed straight away?

What?

Go on?

Garryb80

Look, I’m seriously bored of this now.

He was told in the news by MR in Feb that he was “playing his way to a new contract”

13 weeks later the season ends and he’s not given one. Perhaps he presumed he was getting one, perhaps he was strung along to get the best out of him, perhaps we didn’t know who we were to sign.

Don’t know. Don’t care.

He’s gone. That’s that. You don’t think he was good enough so clearly he wasn’t.

Others disagree but you say he’s no good so he’s no good.

What are you trying to evidence your Hiwula argument (he was without a club for months).

That sometimes players don’t get signed straight away?

What?

Go on?
So your bored of it then proceed to write another lengthy defence of your argument. OK.
I get it you think he is good. His current lack of employment disproves that.
He was told exactly the same time as baka, before the season ended. They even put a lengthy post on the site thanking him.
I notice you didn't pick up on the fact baka got a club straight away.
A whole load of free transfers have been signed post covid so why hasn't he been?
For someone who doesn't care you do seem to care an awful lot.

The Philosopher

So your bored of it then proceed to write another lengthy defence of your argument. OK.
I get it you think he is good. His current lack of employment disproves that.
He was told exactly the same time as baka, before the season ended. They even put a lengthy post on the site thanking him.
I notice you didn't pick up on the fact baka got a club straight away.
A whole load of free transfers have been signed post covid so why hasn't he been?
For someone who doesn't care you do seem to care an awful lot.
Your Hiwula point please?

Grendel

Ok.

Why is he without a club? I don’t know.

Perhaps he left it late and had expected a new contract and his agent hadn’t got a back up.

There’s a post Covid situation where clubs aren’t splashing wages out on a whim as well.

What might be good for us (experience of our style) isn’t necessarily good for other Champ clubs because he would need time to bed in. At 30, time isn’t on your side. That said, Waghorn is 31.

I thought he did ok for us and was an ok backup striker who could cover if Vik was unavailable/ to bring on to stop Vik getting burn out, particularly when Walker and Godden etc were unavailable at that moment in time.

If you are expecting the answer to be “no one signed him because he’s shit and my thoughts are wrong” then ok.

There you go. Enjoy.

Comparing Waghorn and biamou is rather silly isn’t it

fernandopartridge

Robins won't make changes to the way we play at home given our 100% record, in his after match interview he was pretty clear that he was concerned with away form. I can't see Kelly starting on Saturday, he might be used at some point though.

Grendel

To be fair to Knowl he does go on to say not Max but a player of his style. i.e. someone better

It’s not the type of player we miss and he keeps saying how good he was in the air - it’s one the weakest parts of his game

Frostie

It’s not the type of player we miss and he keeps saying how good he was in the air - it’s one the weakest parts of his game

I agree with you but can at least understand his thought process more than those that just bang on we should have kept Biamou rather than Waghorn or Walker 🙄

shmmeee

To be fair to Knowl he does go on to say not Max but a player of his style. i.e. someone better

TBF I agree with his point and said this over the summer. Though not sure I’d say Max gave us aerial dominance or that much physical presence. But we’re very light in the air up front and it makes it hard to switch our game plan up when we’re being pressed.

Sky Blue Pete

Wouldn’t it? Half the problem was we had to pass it out because they were so dominant in the air front and back.
It would have given us a plan b - Robins would say we should have just been better at what we were doing. But he also said we need to find a different way of playing away from home as it’s not working

clint van damme

It would have given us a plan b - Robins would say we should have just been better at what we were doing. But he also said we need to find a different way of playing away from home as it’s not working

I think will revert to what we were doing last year, I said on another thread, back to 5-3-1-1.

Not great to watch but save the flowing football for the CBS

Grendel

He meant playing one up front and 5 at the back away from home

Skybluebeliever

I noticed on Wednesday the players did not have the tracksuit tops they normally wear before games when they come out

Was this just on Wednesday or has been previous away games

I recommend we put these back on if it was just on Wednesday

shmmeee

I noticed on Wednesday the players did not have the tracksuit tops they normally wear before games when they come out

Was this just on Wednesday or has been previous away games

I recommend we put these back on if it was just on Wednesday

Had them on before, but not when they came out to kick off. I can’t remember have they had them on for kickoff before?

SlowerThanPlatt

Had them on before, but not when they came out to kick off. I can’t remember have they had them on for kickoff before?

I think he means the anthem jacket

shmmeee

I think he means the anthem jacket

You’re right. And so is he. We wore that jacket coming out for kick off last home and away game.

Cracked it. Someone get on the phone to robins.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

TBF I agree with his point and said this over the summer. Though not sure I’d say Max gave us aerial dominance or that much physical presence. But we’re very light in the air up front and it makes it hard to switch our game plan up when we’re being pressed.

It's always worth having different options, including a quick striker to try and play in behind or an awkward lump who can hold a ball up and is good in the air. I think we brought Baka in to do that but he just had too soft a nature. Biamou was more so but not enough to say defenders would hate getting into a battle with him.

Brighton Sky Blue

The Plan B should be what we were doing to Peterborough second half.

Evo1883

My worry is, does Mark Robins have a plan B.
Well he's been here a good while now so you should know .

Last season we truly mixed it up towards the final 3rd of the season and it pulled us through ..
We don't necessarily need a plan B right now because plan A is very effective overall.
The switch between 2 up and the box could be used more often but besides that we wont deviate from what we do well

Evo1883

Viktor gyokores is on course to hit over 20 goals this season .

If he hits 24 it will match max biamous total league goal haul in his entire English football venture ..moving on

blunted

I remeber people saying Luton as having the best pre season recruitment in the Championship. Appears their team took a while to gel and unfortunately it happened against us. Football is a funny old game (quote Jimmy Greaves). We smashed Milwall last season in admittedly favourable circumstances but found it much harder against them this season. We owe Luton one at the CBS Arena and I hope we stuff them then. They are getting 6K crowds? Surely not sustainable in the Championship and the bigger clubs (hopefully us) will be cherry picking their best players.

Grendel

I remeber people saying Luton as having the best pre season recruitment in the Championship. Appears their team took a while to gel and unfortunately it happened against us. Football is a funny old game (quote Jimmy Greaves). We smashed Milwall last season in admittedly favourable circumstances but found it much harder against them this season. We owe Luton one at the CBS Arena and I hope we stuff them then. They are getting 6K crowds? Surely not sustainable in the Championship and the bigger clubs (hopefully us) will be cherry picking their best players.

They are building a new stadium

blunted

It's always worth having different options, including a quick striker to try and play in behind or an awkward lump who can hold a ball up and is good in the air. I think we brought Baka in to do that but he just had too soft a nature. Biamou was more so but not enough to say defenders would hate getting into a battle with him.
Max was getting on a bit and has been traded in for better footballers who have historically been more successful goal scorers. That said, a lump who can disrupt defences on a cheap wage should not be completely dismissed, especially when he has a big heart and a love for the club. Was surprised Max was not given a year with a year option but budgets dictate everything. I am not surprised Max has stuggled to get a club abroad as one of my children has been caught up in the Covid restrictions even when having a job secured from one country to another. It is a nighmare. USA, Australia have been no go, the Middle East problematic and the Far East, India big time restrictions. Think pre Covid Max would have got a club by now but his age and possible wage demands may have lessened his chances. Don't know if he is training anywhere but the longer he is out of the game the more difficult it will become.

Users who are viewing this thread