Match Thread Luton (A) Wed 29th Sep. 19.45 ko (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2477
  • Start date

Nick

Administrator
I’ve just watched the extended highlights and every single fucking goal was down the left hand side? JCS and Maatsen had an absolute mare. Shocking. Identical ball down that side every time and they just couldn’t deal with it. Robins got to change that up at that point surely

It should have been changed up before the 3rd or 4th time they did it.

shepardo01

I repeat, ourselves and Fulham have played 4 of the same teams, Fulham won 1, lost 3.

We've won 3, drawn 1.
We have a 100 percent home record, time for some calm and perspective!
Didn't know that Clint. Interesting!
Although I know who I'd rather be going into Saturday's game!!

The Philosopher

Fulham was going to be tough anyway...
But after last night, how do you get that out of the players minds in such a short space of time!?...

I know people may say otherwise, but this is possibly the worst possible game that could follow last night's capitulation.

Anybody know where Fulham will be staying Friday night!?! - late night noise anybody?.... or have we got an "in" in the catering department!??!

If we'd have got a point last night, I'd be looking forward to Saturday... I'm very apprehensive now!!
“How do we get it out of their minds?”

Mix it up I guess.

We need Kelly in front of the back line to break up play and Dabo in on the right to provide an outlet.

Kane will need to be benched even though he wasn’t the worst last night.

Putting a right footer in the left isn’t sane so keep Maatsen. JCS sits out for Rose maybe but I think JCS just had a mare last night.

We will need to overload midfield so play O’Hare and Allen behind Gyok.

Ready for this:

Sheaf for Waghorn but sitting in the middle not deep. Sheaf can then lose the ball higher up where there’s less risk but provide an outlet. play 3–1-1-2-2-1 -CD’s, DM, CM, WB’s, AMs, ST.

Have some raw pace and trickery on the bench. Bright might actually turn up and I think he’s the type of player who might perform for the cameras. Might be talking BLKS though - it’s a risk - I don’t know. Not sure Walker / Godden would get a sniff. Go random, go for broke.

Hamer will be out, Waghorn needs to sit out, Kane there to come on second half to attack.

Kelly needs to skipper the side and get them focussed.

IMO. That’s what we need to do.

Last edited:

The Philosopher

And I know I’ve constantly pointed out that Sheaf loses the ball too often. He does. Having him in front of the back 4 is a liability. Slightly less of a liability if Kelly can cover. Plus, he has a slight bit of height if playing slightly further up he can get a head on the odd longer ball if we get pressed high.

Bugsy

“How do we get it out of their minds?”

Mix it up I guess.

We need Kelly in front of the back line to break up play and Dabo in on the right to provide an outlet.

Kane will need to be benched even though he wasn’t the worst last night.

Putting a right footer in the left isn’t sane so keep Maatsen. JCS for Rose maybe but I think JCS just had a mare last night.

We will need to overload midfield so play O’Hare and Allen behind Gyok.

Ready for this:

Sheaf for Waghorn but sitting in the middle not deep. Sheaf can then lose the ball higher up where there’s less risk but provide an outlet. play 3–1-1-2-2-1 -CD’s, DM, CM, WB’s, AMs, ST.

Have some raw pace and trickery on the bench. Bright might actually turn up and I think he’s the type of player who might perform for the cameras. Might be talking BLKS though - it’s a risk - I don’t know. Not sure Walker / Godden would get a sniff. Go random, go for broke.

Hamer will be out, Waghorn needs to sit out, Kane there to come on second half to attack.

Kelly needs to skipper the side and get them focussed.

IMO. That’s what we need to do.

Kane plays for Spurs mate.

Do get your point thou

Also this would be better in the Fulham Match thread maybe....... PUSB

Last edited:

Frostie

Putting a right footer in the left isn’t sane so keep Maatsen. JCS for Rose maybe but I think JCS just had a mare last night.

giphy.gif

Grendel

And I know I’ve constantly pointed out that Sheaf loses the ball too often. He does. Having him in front of the back 4 is a liability. Slightly less of a liability if Kelly can cover. Plus, he has a slight bit of height if playing slightly further up he can get a head on the odd longer ball if we get pressed high.

we’ve won every home game so I fail to see any point in having Kelly in the team. As you admit we’d have to
Leave a striker out. The change this season is we’ve attacked teams

Kane supports the back 3 better than any other full back options - our back 3 were always going to be exposed at some game - Clarke salter doesn’t look comfortable and Hyam and McFazdean are very slow

The Philosopher

we’ve won every home game so I fail to see any point in having Kelly in the team. As you admit we’d have to

Kane supports the back 3 better than any other full back options - our back 3 were always going to be exposed at some game - Clarke salter doesn’t look comfortable and Hyam and McFazdean are very slow
If Gus is out then Kelly should be in.

Brighton Sky Blue

Kelly has only had 10 minutes for the first team this season and you’re suggesting starting him against Fulham because Sheaf is a ‘liability’

The Philosopher

And I think Dabo offers more than Kane.

Grendel

And I think Dabo offers more than Kane.

He I guess will play both Kane covers a lot more for the defenders - he will certainly feature in games where they can attack with power and pace against us

The Philosopher

Kelly has only had 10 minutes for the first team this season and you’re suggesting starting him against Fulham because Sheaf is a ‘liability’
If Kelly is blowing out of his ring after 60 then swap him out - assess how we are (if we are 3-0 then go defensive, 2-0 down go all out attack, obviously)

If Gus was available it might not be the best idea but having Kelly in adds some grit.

If your thought is Sheaf in for Gus then that’s your opinion - I think Kelly has the bite and experience that Sheaf doesn’t.

Brighton Sky Blue

If Kelly is blowing out of his ring after 60 then swap him out - assess how we are (if we are 3-0 then go defensive, 2-0 down go all out attack, obviously)

If Gus was available it might not be the best idea but having Kelly in adds some grit.

If your thought is Sheaf in for Gus then that’s your opinion - I think Kelly has the bite and experience that Sheaf doesn’t.

A fully sharp Kelly perhaps. Kelly would be ideal for scrappy away games, which this ain’t

Grendel

If you read up I’ve suggested putting Kelly in front of the back line and Sheaf further up.

It’s alright I’ve just read your comments about Max Biamou and weren’t you the idiot who said sign some 7 foot bloke from Solihull

The Philosopher

It’s alright I’ve just read your comments about Max Biamou and weren’t you the idiot who said sign some 7 foot bloke from Solihull
Yep, that’s me.

And I still think signing a striker on our doorstep that Man City and others are looking at (so they say) is worth looking at.

And I still think Max had something to offer since we are lightweight up top without Viktor. Last night was an example - Walker isn’t a powerhouse and we had no chance of getting a consolation. Not big wages, cared, was actually improving as time went on.

I stick by my views.

The Philosopher

This should be interesting
Ok.

As I’ve said since, Max has gone and would be well short of match fitness. At the time I suggested that letting Max go was odd, Walker was injured, Godden injured, Jones unfit, Bright awol.

So. That was the thought back then - we are short of fit attackers and there’s one we’ve just let go. If Vik was to have got injured then we’d have just has Waghorn and kids.

So.

Keep laughing.

clint van damme

Ok.

As I’ve said since, Max has gone and would be well short of match fitness. At the time I suggested that letting Max go was odd, Walker was injured, Godden injured, Jones unfit, Bright awol.

So. That was the thought back then - we are short of fit attackers and there’s one we’ve just let go. If Vik was to have got injured then we’d have just has Waghorn and kids.

So.

Keep laughing.

Last seasons first choice strikers are now our back up. That's a big upgrade, letting Max go was exactly the right thing to do.

The Philosopher

Last seasons first choice strikers are now our back up. That's a big upgrade, letting Max go was exactly the right thing to do.
I agree.

We now have hindsight. At the time of comment, we had no hindsight and very little striker cover. Drafting a striker in who knew how we play and cared seemed like a good idea at the time. He’s gone. We move on.

We can be wise after the event and stupid on reflection.

SlowerThanPlatt

Yep, that’s me.

And I still think signing a striker on our doorstep that Man City and others are looking at (so they say) is worth looking at.

And I still think Max had something to offer since we are lightweight up top without Viktor. Last night was an example - Walker isn’t a powerhouse and we had no chance of getting a consolation. Not big wages, cared, was actually improving as time went on.

I stick by my views.

Disagree. If in your view he has something to offer to a Championship club and would only command a small wage, perfect for Hull, Peterborough…even Luton why is he still without a club? Is he injured?

The Philosopher

Disagree. If in your view he has something to offer to a Championship club and would only command a small wage, perfect for Hull, Peterborough…even Luton why is he still without a club? Is he injured?
Ok.

Why is he without a club? I don’t know.

Perhaps he left it late and had expected a new contract and his agent hadn’t got a back up.

There’s a post Covid situation where clubs aren’t splashing wages out on a whim as well.

What might be good for us (experience of our style) isn’t necessarily good for other Champ clubs because he would need time to bed in. At 30, time isn’t on your side. That said, Waghorn is 31.

I thought he did ok for us and was an ok backup striker who could cover if Vik was unavailable/ to bring on to stop Vik getting burn out, particularly when Walker and Godden etc were unavailable at that moment in time.

If you are expecting the answer to be “no one signed him because he’s shit and my thoughts are wrong” then ok.

There you go. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread