Lose the Gut Thread (Following on from New Year's Resolution) (1 Viewer)

Monners

Exercise for blood pressure, heart, lungs joints and muscles. Combine with a balanced, healthy diet - and keep the alcohol intake down

skyblueinBaku

I've got a great recipe for a green lentil chili if anyone wants it? Eat it with brown rice to get complete amino acids. No, I'm not Iain Dowie.
I would like that, Sick Boy.

Gazolba

Don't exercise for weight loss, it has virtually no impact. It's all diet. Exercise because you want healthy lungs and muscles.
That's not my experience. When I used to run, I got really lean and muscular and lost most of my excess body fat. Aerobic exercise is also good for the heart. If you want healthy lungs, don't smoke or go outside on high-pollution days. Alcohol is a poison that affects every organ of the body so keep that to a minimum.

Nick

Administrator
Don't exercise for weight loss, it has virtually no impact. It's all diet. Exercise because you want healthy lungs and muscles.
All three would be nice ;)

Diet is much better now but it only does so much, still need to do a bit.

Astute

I started putting weight on when I reached 40. All the good things get you in the end. The best kind of exercise is one that you enjoy. That way you look forward to it.

I always loved boxing. So I got back into it, partly because I wanted to help train my youngest. The weight fell off me. I went down to 15 1/2 st. But then I had an accident when pissed. Wrecked my left ankle and 3rd degree burns to my leg.

I was out of the ring for about 6 months. Put 2 st. on :wideyed: Got back in the ring. Weight dropped off again. Then had an accident last February. Damaged the nerves to my left wrist/hand. Over 6 months off work. Still on light duties. Gone up to over 18 st. But all is not lost. Because of my height and shape I look a lot lighter. My excuse is muscle weighs more than fat :smuggrin:

So it is up into the lakes for me. Up and down them bloody hills. Have until April before them bloody tourists take over. Should drop a couple of stone by then. 15 to 16 st is perfect. And have some lovely views to keep me going.

clint van damme

St John's waiting about?

limped off at the end with yet another injury. Did something last week when running, (behind the knee/top of calf area), and now it's totally fucked! (probably shouldn't have played!)
About the 4th fairly bad injury I've had in a year all down the right side so I'm thinking there's some under lying issue so I'm going to get it sorted once and for all.
Physio I used in the past has moved and I don't know where so if anyone has any suggestion it would be appreciated. I've been told there's a lady on Hearsall Lane who's decent.

Astute

limped off at the end with yet another injury. Did something last week when running, (behind the knee/top of calf area), and now it's totally fucked! (probably shouldn't have played!)
About the 4th fairly bad injury I've had in a year all down the right side so I'm thinking there's some under lying issue so I'm going to get it sorted once and for all.
Physio I used in the past has moved and I don't know where so if anyone has any suggestion it would be appreciated. I've been told there's a lady on Hearsall Lane who's decent.
I might know the underlying issue.

How old are you? :smuggrin:

And BTW I used to know a woman on Hearsall Lane before I moved away from Coventry. Very fit. But she started talking about getting married so she had to go :rolleyes:

clint van damme

I might know the underlying issue.

How old are you? :smuggrin:

And BTW I used to know a woman on Hearsall Lane before I moved away from Coventry. Very fit. But she started talking about getting married so she had to go :rolleyes:

couple of the lads I play with and the wife mentioned my age as the underlying cause!! I'm starting to think that could be it. Might be time to take up bowls.

Astute

couple of the lads I play with and the wife mentioned my age as the underlying cause!! I'm starting to think that could be it. Might be time to take up bowls.
I finally gave up playing in my mid 40's. I was getting an injury nearly every time I played. That wasn't the main problem. You just seem to need much longer to repair.

Rich

I'm doing well so far. Not lost any weight, but definitely feeling fitter. (Had a week all inclusive before Christmas and not put any on either).

Hitting the Gym for about 45minutes 5 times a week and counting the calories on MFP.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I'm up 50 sit ups, 20 squats a 2 minute plank and I'm up to 12 burpees

But I've changed my run my route is out of my estate onto keresley green road towards the shepherd straight down towards the Radford road where I turn left at the lights onto Beake ave follow that straight up to Roland ave turn right onto nunts park ave then left through the pro logis park
Back onto Bennett road then left onto penny park lane then back into my estate
My phones knackered at the minute so I can't tell you how far it was but I reckon it was toward 6 miles ;hopefully)

Nick

Administrator
I'm up 50 sit ups, 20 squats a 2 minute plank and I'm up to 12 burpees

But I've changed my run my route is out of my estate onto keresley green road towards the shepherd straight down towards the Radford road where I turn left at the lights onto Beake ave follow that straight up to Roland ave turn right onto nunts park ave then left through the pro logis park
Back onto Bennett road then left onto penny park lane then back into my estate
My phones knackered at the minute so I can't tell you how far it was but I reckon it was toward 6 miles ;hopefully)
Get a fitbit Daz! Had a jog to the car after the game and it picked it up, distance, calories, heart rate and everything.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Get a fitbit Daz! Had a jog to the car after the game and it picked it up, distance, calories, heart rate and everything.
Can't you just do the run and tell me what it was

wingy

My job tends to keep me fittish pretty aerobic and involves lifting heavyish components.
Everything is creaking these days, knees are shot, 60 coming up in a couple of months but I'm proud to say I'm just about dry up to now and should stay that way for the rest of the month, unless I get to a Rugby or Football match.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Although it was my birthday Sunday so I'm on holiday this week
So I had a good day Sunday and Monday and im taking the wife out for a meal Saturday so I'll try and run abit further Saturday

shmmeee

That's not my experience. When I used to run, I got really lean and muscular and lost most of my excess body fat. Aerobic exercise is also good for the heart. If you want healthy lungs, don't smoke or go outside on high-pollution days. Alcohol is a poison that affects every organ of the body so keep that to a minimum.

Anecdotes are nice.

Facts are better

You probably ate less without realising it.

Think about it, how long do you have to exercise to burn off a crappy meal? You're talking hours a day.

Kingokings204

My job is personal training and massage physio so I do sadly I admit go to the gym every day whether it's work or training or both.

Losing weight is the easiest thing in the world people just don't do it. We all know to eat well and exercise but people especially this day and age don't do it. Time is tough and we all get older. We all have jobs and commitments.

My short advice for quick tips on a forum like this would be lots of water daily and keep moving. Walking etc. cut out carbs as much as possible which really will help because the body will use fat instead of glycogen to work then. Body can then go into a state of ketosis.

Remember diet is more important than exercise and the chocolates and alcohol and the biggest thing I've seen in my career that people can't give up. Alcohol especially.

I always say none of us are GB Olympic athletes so enjoy a beer or a take away but keep in in moderation and get in your exercise. Gyms aren't needed but help.

Eat well every three hours. Meat fish, greens and eggs. Try even some protein bars and shakes. I swear by them. Cut out bread, pasta, rice potatoes and Drink and drink and drink water.

Honesty forget all the fad diets and fancy bullshit crap on tv. It's a market and a big one for companies. Everyone wants to lose weight so people look for the quickest and easiest way when the truth is it's have a good diet and exercise plenty. No short cuts I'm afraid just simple simple science and that is if you burn off more than you eat you will lose weight. It's quite simple.

Good luck!

Rich

Can I just say the protein bars in Aldi taste lovely, make a great snack and they're just 49p each.

Nick

Administrator
My job is personal training and massage physio so I do sadly I admit go to the gym every day whether it's work or training or both.

Losing weight is the easiest thing in the world people just don't do it. We all know to eat well and exercise but people especially this day and age don't do it. Time is tough and we all get older. We all have jobs and commitments.

My short advice for quick tips on a forum like this would be lots of water daily and keep moving. Walking etc. cut out carbs as much as possible which really will help because the body will use fat instead of glycogen to work then. Body can then go into a state of ketosis.

Remember diet is more important than exercise and the chocolates and alcohol and the biggest thing I've seen in my career that people can't give up. Alcohol especially.

I always say none of us are GB Olympic athletes so enjoy a beer or a take away but keep in in moderation and get in your exercise. Gyms aren't needed but help.

Eat well every three hours. Meat fish, greens and eggs. Try even some protein bars and shakes. I swear by them. Cut out bread, pasta, rice potatoes and Drink and drink and drink water.

Honesty forget all the fad diets and fancy bullshit crap on tv. It's a market and a big one for companies. Everyone wants to lose weight so people look for the quickest and easiest way when the truth is it's have a good diet and exercise plenty. No short cuts I'm afraid just simple simple science and that is if you burn off more than you eat you will lose weight. It's quite simple.

Good luck!

Have noticed a difference when trying to drink 2L of water a day, have cut out coffee unless really needed and even then there's no sugar or anything at all.

Struggle to eat every 3 hours but going to do a batch of protein bars tonight I think to have handy just to have.

Rich

Might have a look! Got a few from Tesco 2 for 2 quid.

Was that the Bedworth one?
Yes Mate. They're by the tills Banana and Cherry Hike Protein bars.

I bought 24 of them for snacks at work and I may go back for more at the weekend.

Bumberclart

My new year weight loss is going really well. Admittedly this has been helped by the worst dose of the shits I've ever had which I suffered last weekend.
Lost 6lb in 48 hours. WINNER!

Nick

Administrator
My new year weight loss is going really well. Admittedly this has been helped by the worst dose of the shits I've ever had which I suffered last weekend.
Lost 6lb in 48 hours. WINNER!

Missing a trick here, might just go for a dodgy curry.

Marty

Lost half a stone since Christmas.

Dehydration makes you feel hungry so always have a glass of water if you feel peckish.

What's everyone's username on myfitnesspal? We can track each other's progress through the app.

Marty

Can I just say the protein bars in Aldi taste lovely, make a great snack and they're just 49p each.

Post a pic of the packaging please. Looked earlier couldn't find anything. So asked and the assistant looked at me like I had 2 heads.

Come to think of it, Is the store the beduff branch? I was in the Radford road store which is a lot smaller.

Nick

Administrator
Post a pic of the packaging please. Looked earlier couldn't find anything. So asked and the assistant looked at me like I had 2 heads.

Come to think of it, Is the store the beduff branch? I was in the Radford road store which is a lot smaller.
They aren't protein, just fruit bars :) had a look yesterday

At walsgravr anyway

Rich

Hike-bar-300x203.jpg
Aldi's new HIKE Protein Bars are the cheapest on the market | DAILYSPENDS

They are on the tills at Bedworth, you know where they have all the healthy snacks.

Nick, they are definitely protein bars mate.

Users who are viewing this thread