London Bridge (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

They haven’t not just not done anything their policies have had a direct impact on making things worse. Not least probation resources. Ask Chris greyling about the billion pounds wasted on outsourcing

Did he outsource to a company with no actual experience like he did with the ferry companies?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not a hero in life. You agree with me

The end

Why would anyone be a hero 'in life'. People do all sorts of stuff throughout their lives - some of it incredibly good and selfless, some of incredibly shitty. You're making it far too polemic - I think you've watched too many Marvel movies. He can be a hero for this one act. He can also be a monster for killing the disabled woman. The two are not mutually exclusive.

You keep on asking about is he a hero after killing a woman? Never is he a monster because he tackled a terrorist and prevented him attacking more people.

Look at people that are considered heroes/villains and then look at their entire story. Look at Henry Lionheart, Richard III, Gandhi. All have been put on one side or the other when in fact all of them have good and bad bits.

Sky Blue Pete

• Posted at 14:0814:08
    'Crazy cuts' to service at heart of problem

The World This Weekend

Radio 4 programme

A former government counter-terrorism adviser, Professor Ian Acheson, tells the BBC that the problem of handling Islamist prisoners has been made much more difficult by funding cuts to the Prison and Probation Service.

Mr Acheson, who in 2015 conducted an independent review of Islamist extremism in the prisons and probation system in England and Wales for the government, says "crazy failed ideological and austerity cuts" are at the heart of the problem.

The visiting professor of criminology at Staffordshire University tells The World This Weekend: "We went far too far, far too fast and we are now reaping what we sowed."

He adds that there was a "level of denial" about the "scale of the problem" and there was a disconnect between what frontline staff were experiencing and what ministers being briefed on.

Article share tools

Sky Blue Pete

14:32
Government 'didn't pay attention' to prison review report

The World This Weekend

Radio 4 programme

More from Ian Acheson, who's accused the government of largely ignoring his government-commissioned review into Islamist extremism in the prisons and probation system in 2015.

He tells the BBC he made 69 recommendations to the then-justice secretary Michael Gove, who accepted 68 of them. But he said the recommendations weren't followed through.

Blaming the subsequent "merry-go-round" of political appointments, he says: "Basically, what happened was that (political replacements) then allowed a fairly recalcitrant and unwilling bureaucracy to not implement the recommendations that I was making.

More

Sky Blue Pete

Cambridge's vice-chancellor says Jack Merritt - who was killed at London Bridge on Friday - "really believed" the work he was doing for the university's programme to help prisoners rehabilitate was "fundamental for the future of our society".

"It's always difficult to be working with populations that in some senses are not always very well regarded in society - people who've been convicted of offences," Prof Stephen J Toope says.

"But the whole purpose of the programme is to try to ensure that people who have been convicted will be given educational opportunities that will allow them to better integrate into society when they're released."

Asked whether there was an "awful irony" that Jack Merritt was trying to build bridges with offenders when he was killed, the vice-chancellor replied: "Of course, that's the greatest tragedy of all."

I want to be part of his society too

Last edited:

Gazolba

Beware folks, there are 74 more of them out there roaming the streets.
All terrorists released early.
I wonder if anyone knows where they are or what they are doing?

Gazolba

It is and is a universe also shared by the likes of Trump and the pothole pixies.
People criticise Trump but he did his best to keep people like Usman Khan out of his country.
And liberal politicians fought him all the way to the Supreme court to try and force them on the US public.

clint van damme

People criticise Trump but he did his best to keep people like Usman Khan out of his country.
And liberal politicians fought him all the way to the Supreme court to try and force them on the US public.

But he's done nothing about the horrendous number of deaths through guns or the oxyxontin epidemic has he?

clint van damme

Beware folks, there are 74 more of them out there roaming the streets.
All terrorists released early.
I wonder if anyone knows where they are or what they are doing?

You just worry about the next gun nut who's about to carry out a mass shooting because it's imminent, (always is in the States)and it will cause more deaths than anything we're going to face.

Sky Blue Pete

Posted at 17:2317:23
Saskia 'determined to make positive impact on society'
The director of the Institute of Criminology at Cambridge University, where both victims had studied has paid tribute to Saskia Jones and Jack Merritt.

Prof Loraine R Gelsthorpe says: "Saskia's warm disposition and extraordinary intellectual creativity was combined with a strong belief that people who have committed criminal offences should have opportunities for rehabilitation."

She adds Ms Jones had a "determination to make an enduring and positive impact on society in everything she did" and colleagues were "inspired by her determination to push towards the good".

Speaking about Mr Merritt, Prof Gelsthorpe says: "All of us at the Institute will miss Jack's quiet humour and rigorous intellect.

"His determined belief in rehabilitation inspired him to join the institute as a staff member to work in the Learning Together research team after completing his MPhil in Criminology in 2017.

"Jack's passion for social and criminal justice was infectious. He was deeply creatively and courageously engaged with the world, advocating for a politics of love. He worked tirelessly in dark places to pull towards the light.

Otis

Trump does his best to keep all foreigners out of his country.

Astute

Reoffending rates are climbing

Read the other articles too astute. Some really good work going on evidence based but costs money and time
But it agrees with what I say. Just those caught and convicted is running at about a third within 12 months of leaving prison. How long does it even take to get to court? Why isn't crime on the way down? Would mean a lot of first time offenders all the time. Detection rates are down.

Sky Blue Pete

But it agrees with what I say. Just those caught and convicted is running at about a third within 12 months of leaving prison. How long does it even take to get to court? Why isn't crime on the way down? Would mean a lot of first time offenders all the time. Detection rates are down.
Oh yeah I wasn’t disagreeing with you. First offender rates are the lowest. Once you’ve done a few stretches you are much more likely to reoffend than not. Prison as a rehabilitating institution is failing

Sky Blue Pete

Metro headline says about the two young people murdered that they were killed for caring.
I think they were killed by the hatred which divides nation from nation, race from race and class from class in the words of the cathedral litany. All the hate papers are showing their hatred this morning. They really aren’t part of any solution

ccfc92

Lot's of conspiracy theories going around on Facebook.

Even the attacker wasn't dead, pulled a jacket over himself after being shot.

chiefdave

Piers is spot on in this whole article, they need to be locked up forever with no release
We had that option with imprisonment for public protection, that meant a prisoner could not be released until they were assessed to no longer be a risk to the public. Unfortunately that option was removed in 2012 to help relieve prison overcrowding without having to finance the cost of more prisons.

Grendel

We had that option with imprisonment for public protection, that meant a prisoner could not be released until they were assessed to no longer be a risk to the public. Unfortunately that option was removed in 2012 to help relieve prison overcrowding without having to finance the cost of more prisons.

This isn’t actually true in this case is it?

Sky Blue Pete

Piers is like most self righteous knobs who think so long as someone is guilty of stuff worse than him then he can feel ok about his failings.

I’m gonna follow the lead of those murdered and believe in the society that they dared to dream of and gave their lives for ultimately

Sky Blue Pete

Read it now that was hard. I don’t agree with it all but most of it I do. America doesn’t just lock convicted terrorists up though they torture them and don’t really care if they are guilty of anything first but hey. I don’t think it’s the liberal elite that has foistered short sentences on us either. There is no pride in locking up more people as a percentage than any other mature democracy. Other than the states of course. It’s mostly about money and what we are willing to do to invest in proper systems to uphold society. On the person concerned it’s clear he shouldn’t have been let out without considering whether he was a danger to society but this isn’t the cinema where we miraculously get things right every time it’s a risk based decision that will sometimes be wrong.
Blunkett screwed up not making the indefinite sentences cover only those crimes where it needed to, so it had to be rolled back. The tories have removed support from every area that could help, legal aid, courts, social work, probation and possibly most importantly have done nothing to make changes to keep society safer in 10 years and expect us to believe they’ve changed their spots!! Well I for one don’t believe you Boris. Doing this well costs money, needs integrity and takes time believing in the experts and evidence rather than impulse and fuckwittery.
Anyone who proposes a simple answer to this complex question doesn’t know what they’re talking about

ccfc92

Piers is like most self righteous knobs who think so long as someone is guilty of stuff worse than him then he can feel ok about his failings.

I’m gonna follow the lead of those murdered and believe in the society that they dared to dream of and gave their lives for ultimately

I appreciate your sentiment, but when are you and others going to realise that not all souls can be saved?

There are people in this world that need locking up/taken out of it. No friendly chats or rehabilitation can save them.

shmmeee

I appreciate your sentiment, but when are you and others going to realise that not all souls can be saved?

There are people in this world that need locking up/taken out of it. No friendly chats or rehabilitation can save them.

How can you spot these “unsavable souls”. And what if you’re an atheist and don’t believe in souls?

Users who are viewing this thread