Listen To Me Just Hear Me Out (2 Viewers)

Sky Blue Harry H

i was more talking about style of play

The only good football is winning football

Would you sooner see a season of football the way we play, or a season with more wins playing hoofball, if neither version got promotion?

theferret

But Wycombe are an outlier. Always dangerous comparing one team at one point in time; it was Blackpool a few years ago - why couldn't we be like them as they were heading into the top flight? We don't use Bradford or Plymouth as comparisons.

There are obvious constant blind spots - who would join us as a striker just atm? but overall the way the team is managed is good. Add in the cultural issues (work for an organisation distracted / contracting / focused elsewhere and tell me it doesn't have an effect) and the job is especially good. Of course he's not perfect, but then that's why he's working at this level, too - and let's face it our best manager Sillett couldn't sign a striker to save his life either.

That's fair, it was more of a general point I was making, which may have been a bit crude, which was in response those who appear to be trying to gloss over a very poor run of form with 'yeah, but we play nice stuff at times'.

Sky Blue Harry H

That's fair, it was more of a general point I was making, which may have been a bit crude, which was in response those who appear to be trying to gloss over a very poor run of form with 'yeah, but we play nice stuff at times'.

I don't disagree with you ferret, but enjoying the football we play is a big part of the experience for me. For all the grumbles about the elusive away win, compared to previous seasons, how many poor performances have we had at home this season - very few compared to previous seasons (including the promotion year)?

cc84cov

Theres no need to apologise it’s just a view

The thing is when you look at Presley he had to sell Wilson and Clarke and really had to look in the basement bin for the likes of Mquod.

When we sold mcnulty Robins did purchase hiwula, Bakayoko and Chaplin (already having paid £125,000 on Clarke Harris)

We then offload Clarke Harris for free and pay a hefty sum for Godden

None of this spend is getting any return

In relative terms the board are supporting him and I don’t think the pay back is great
Thought yesterday myself I wonder what sisu are making of things 750k Godden on the bench playing 1 up front at bloody Shrewsbury

cc84cov

Robins likes playing this brand of football great when it works but I would prefer shit football that’s effective that wins games

cc84cov

The blueprint is clear to beat us I’m surprised we’ve only lost 3 all season,high press & mega aggressive approach we can’t deal with.The amount of long balls yesterday I don’t remember us winning anything up there but robins just let it continue if we were going long why not go 2 up front ? McCallums crossing was awful

cc84cov

That's what Sunderland thought they were getting. Worked out well for them getting rid of Ross for a kick it long manager
I don’t mean long ball mate I just mean effective Shrewsbury were effected & far better than us all over the park Kelly was bullied by them

NorthernWisdom

I don't disagree with you ferret, but enjoying the football we play is a big part of the experience for me. For all the grumbles about the elusive away win, compared to previous seasons, how many poor performances have we had at home this season - very few compared to previous seasons (including the promotion year)?
The take bad football if it's winning football is all very well, but we're not blessed with times when we've done both. Bad football aplenty but winning...? Not so much!

theferret

The frustration for me is that we are a good side, so why don't we put teams to the sword? Why, when we get our noses in front do we stop playing? Luton were ruthless in that sense last season. We can talk about the quality of our strikers, but there have been times when at 1-0 up we've barely got out of our own half.

The exception for me was Peterborough away. We were excellent that day and we kept playing. The late goal was a blow, but it wasn't the result of sitting back inviting pressure, aside from the last few minutes when perhaps that is just human nature. The difference that day? Two up front.

cc84cov

The frustration for me is that we are a good side, so why don't we put teams to the sword? Why, when we get our noses in front do we stop playing? Luton were ruthless in that sense last season. We can talk about the quality of our strikers, but there have been times when at 1-0 up we've barely got out of our own half.

The exception for me was Peterborough away. We were excellent that day and we kept playing. The late goal was a blow, but it wasn't the result of sitting back inviting pressure, aside from the last few minutes when perhaps that is just human nature. The difference that day? Two up front.
2 up front at Peterborough
1 up front at Shrewsbury

Ok keep the same as Ipswich away but surely half time change it ?

usskyblue

Fuckinell

giphy.gif

clint van damme

Would you sooner see a season of football the way we play, or a season with more wins playing hoofball, if neither version got promotion?

I don't think it has to one or the other mate.
I think we just need to tweak our approach at times. Particularly away from home. I know people don't like the expression game management but ours was appalling yesterday after we'd gone in front. We're becoming a lower league Arsenal where expect opponents to try and play us at our own game and stand back and clap when we show them we're better at it.
We got turned over by a bang average side yesterday.

usskyblue

I think we just need to tweak our approach at times. Particularly away from home. I know people don't like the expression game management but ours was appalling yesterday after we'd gone in front. We're becoming a lower league Arsenal where expect opponents to try and play us at our own game and stand back and clap when we show them we're better at it.

Top use of the word ‘tweak’ m8.

(However, I don’t think it applies to sacking the manager.)

Sky Blue Harry H

But aren’t we trying to get promotion

Yes? Not saying we're not, But some have suggested changing our style of play to change results. may work, may not - but the current style has us in 7th place, with the team likely to improve as Allen, Godden and Biamou get more game time and improve their fitness. When Allen, Jobello, Godden etc got crocked, not many would have expected us to keep in and around the promotion area. i seem to remember '17th' being quoted by one or two. i want promotion as much as the next man/woman, but given our resources we shouldn't even be able to compete with some of the challengers (or not. as in Sunderland's case). MR is getting the club to punch above its weight, imo.

PVA

The blueprint is clear to beat us I’m surprised we’ve only lost 3 all season,high press & mega aggressive approach we can’t deal with.The amount of long balls yesterday I don’t remember us winning anything up there but robins just let it continue if we were going long why not go 2 up front ? McCallums crossing was awful

If it's so obvious and easy to beat us, yet we've only lost 3 times, maybe we're not as bad and Robins isnt as clueless as you're making out?

Sky Blue Harry H

Yes - agree with that. I like the idea of a small tweak (ooh err missus) !

cc84cov

If it's so obvious and easy to beat us, yet we've only lost 3 times, maybe we're not as bad and Robins isnt as clueless as you're making out?
I can what happened yesterday start to happen a lot more mate after that

Grendel

Weve also only won 7 times

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

No - managers you need to know when have exceeded shelf life

This is all well and good (even though I don't think MR has got anywhere near that stage yet - if he could just find a striker that could put chances away we'd very much be pushing at the top IMO) but it's easy to say "this is shit". The point is who/what do you think would be better?

We know you, or any of us, will not be involved in the actual decision, but this is a fan discussion board for people to air their views. We don't get a say in subs (despite that American geezers 'best' efforts) or formations/tactics, but we still talk about them. Sometimes we suggest things that don't work and look silly. Sometimes we get it right.

People would be interested to know who you think at this time would be a better alternative than MR? Yes, someone will likely scoff at names you put forward, but that's part of the appeal of being on here - what do others think?

Skybluefaz

You made a comment about great football

Wycombe have a reputation for a direct and physical approach

They’ve won 12 games and scored more goals.

I think we are a boring predictable team

Ian Dowie had an overall win ratio of 40% and was at one point over 50%

By the end the last 15 games were at 15% and he was sacked when we were in the top half of the championship - Robins is at 20% in the last 10 games
We should never have sacked Dowie at the time. Same as now is not the time to be changing manager

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

We become very negative when we take the lead in a game.

I like Robins and don’t want to discuss the possibility of his departure yet but this statement is becoming harder and harder to defend. It’s unbelievably frustrating. I can’t count how many times we’ve been the better team and gone ahead and then sat with ten men behind the ball hoofing it to a striker with no one within 20 yards of him. Then as soon as we inevitability concede we then come out of our shell just when you’d think the opposition should be the ones coming forward. We’re good enough to put teams to bed and because of this negativity and lack of bravery we’re CONSISTENTLY (the key word) throwing points away when we should be pushing for a second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LilleSkyBlue

We don't score enough goals and Robins has never known how to get us scoring goals regularly. He's been good at having us strong defensively, he's been good at having us play attractively and he's been good at bringing players through (not all at the same time and none of these all the time, of course). The thing he hasn't ever quite worked out is how to get us scoring enough goals - this is most obvious in games like yesterday's, or vs Tranmere, MK Dons this season. There've been enough strikers at the club recently that I don't pin the blame on any one of them in particular.

I don't want Robins out though, I really don't. Not even three years long this second stint and christ we've been though enough managers lately.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I wouldn’t say brilliant. I want us to play this way but it’s not exactly providing a large number of goals and wins.

I want us to predominantly carry on playing the style we are - it's good to watch on the whole (certainly for this level).

However it also needs to be accepted that when we take a lead we become far more introvert, concentrating on not conceding and being solid defensively rather than focusing on our strengths and keeping going at teams.

It also has to be taken on board it doesn't always prove effective (usually against the 'lesser' teams) and that we need to recognise this sometimes and have a different approach.

Grendel

This is all well and good (even though I don't think MR has got anywhere near that stage yet - if he could just find a striker that could put chances away we'd very much be pushing at the top IMO) but it's easy to say "this is shit". The point is who/what do you think would be better?

We know you, or any of us, will not be involved in the actual decision, but this is a fan discussion board for people to air their views. We don't get a say in subs (despite that American geezers 'best' efforts) or formations/tactics, but we still talk about them. Sometimes we suggest things that don't work and look silly. Sometimes we get it right.

People would be interested to know who you think at this time would be a better alternative than MR? Yes, someone will likely scoff at names you put forward, but that's part of the appeal of being on here - what do others think?

Self indulgent drivel

Esoterica

It's not about the last 10 games for me, the fundamental issues with what Robins does on the pitch have been there since the L2 season. I think the following have been trends throughout the last 3 seasons:

• The defence has long periods of games sitting too deep, for the 3rd season in a row. I don't know if that's a tactical choice or young players succumbing to nerves/pressure but it's a brand new back line and it hasn't been properly addressed by MR. It pulls the whole team backwards, leaving our often 1 up front to battle against a back 4. It's the biggest root cause of our striking issues.
  • Too much respect at the start of games against poor/low opposition.
  • Conservatism when we go ahead in games.
  • A reluctance to mix things up when we go behind and our Plan A is struggling.
  • A tendency to go for another 10 or 15 minutes when the need to make a change seem obvious.
Ultimately over the past 3 seasons I have never felt we have performed to the sum of our parts. The L2 season I think we should have had autos with that squad but limped over the line via the play offs having lost more games than anyone else in the top 10 bar Swindon, only winning 3 in a row once all season.
Even the 5 game win streak last season needed 3 late goals for the wins and was far from convincing and lost 4 games of 8 against the bottom 4.

He has to start letting us go for it from the off against the bottom teams and we have to keep going for it when we do score to kill games off.

harvey098

A genuine question.

Would you rather us finish 8th or 9th playing this way or play how Wycombe play and get promoted to the Championship?

At the moment Wycombe’s style of play is producing more wins and goals than us - on average they have nearly 10% less possession of the ball every game

I would of course swap good football for wins but we have been having both. We were 2 points off automatic promotion at half time yesterday. To want rid of Robins now is everything that’s wrong with modern football.

SlowerThanPlatt

I would of course swap good football for wins but we have been having both. We were 2 points off automatic promotion at half time yesterday. To want rid of Robins now is everything that’s wrong with modern football.

Is this a serious post? A game of football is over two halves. By the end of it we were out of the play offs.

I don’t want Robins sacked but I think it’s fair to question why we can’t win away.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Self indulgent drivel

I genuinely have no idea how this relates to my post.

I said that people come on here because it''s a discussion board hence you would assume they want to discuss things. What is self-indulgent drivel about that?

But then you started the thread about how bad Robins is and how he must go and offered nothing as an alternative - that IS self-indulgent drivel.

I already know that one day MR will go and you'll be there saying "I told you so". Well the same is true about 99.99% of all managers. So much so I'm going to post this about MR's eventual replacement and every subsequent one after when they get dismissed.

"Frankly he made some odd team selections and can't change games with different tactics or substitutions. The players have started to look disinterested and unhappy and one wonders if he's lost the dressing room. It was time for him to go". Pull that up any time for any manager we have in the future and I bet it'll be unerringly accurate.

stevefloyd

If you can’t enjoy the football we’ve been playing this season then there is no hope of enjoyment for you ever.

This thread doesn’t get made at half time when we were 2 points off autos in the live table. It’s a long season, we lost a game, stop reacting like a toddler.
I dont think anyone has said they dont enjoy the football the problem lies with 'seeing teams off' , our lack of goals is quite shocking and needs addressing as it has done for the 2nd time Robins has been here, he still has a chance to try and redeem himself in the lack of goals dept but he needs to get someone in with real quality if we are going to start being real contenders. Maybe the budgets not there or maybe our illustrious owners will not waste any more money on Robins duds up front...watch this space.

ccfcway

Robins likes playing this brand of football great when it works but I would prefer shit football that’s effective that wins games

Great when it works and Poor when it doesn’t. It’s like we are football fans searching for the same as every other team.

Back to the same point I was saying earlier, it comes down to people thinking should he stay or should he go. Set up a poll asking that one question and let’s see people’s thoughts ?

Last edited:

Skyblueweeman

It was a cup replay though, we simply had to win. Tuesday's first half was a glimpse of what it would be like if we really went out to win games I think.

Robins is a paint by numbers manager when it comes to matchday. We won on Tuesday so kept the same team and tactics. We could easily (and should have) put fresh legs into today's line up. Mason and Westbrooke for example would not have weakened the side at all today.

I don't think we will ever get automatically promoted under Robins, he's just not brave enough or dynamic enough to get the amount of wins needed. We've scored 2 goals this season in the opening 15 minutes of the 20 games we've played and we have just 5 wins out of 66 matches back in L1 where we have won by a margin of 2 goals. That's 20 of our 25 wins by a single goal. Teams are never ever out of the game when they play us - it would be a monumental effort to get promoted under those circumstances.
FFS, hes got the best and 3rd best win % of our managers since the 60s or something like that.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: TTG

Skyblueweeman

I dont want Robins gone but even Stevie Wonder can see we need more fire power up front.

I'll jusge Robins after January's transfer window. We need at least one striker in on loan and try to fit in the proven L1 striker Godden in our side how he was a Peterborough.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk
And what makes you think Robin's cant see it?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

stevefloyd

But it could have been sooo much better if we knew how to win games better

Users who are viewing this thread