Lets be realistic (1 Viewer)

Ccfcisparks

At the start of the season, surely all of us would have looked at our fixtures and thought "if we're actually outside of the relegation zone mid-November, i'll snap your hand off".

Which we are...

We are par for the course. We made frustrating mistakes last season, and the season before. They are getting punished this year (surprise surprise).

It's frustrating to lose to Forest, to be in the lead for two minutes yesterday, etc. But did anyone expect any different this season?
Not really, large majority on here thought we’d be comfortable mid table

Liquid Gold

At the start of the season, surely all of us would have looked at our fixtures and thought "if we're actually outside of the relegation zone mid-November, i'll snap your hand off".

Which we are...

We are par for the course. We made frustrating mistakes last season, and the season before. They are getting punished this year (surprise surprise).

It's frustrating to lose to Forest, to be in the lead for two minutes yesterday, etc. But did anyone expect any different this season?
I would have done but the reality of it is we're actually better than I thought we'd be. We're in games against the good sides and we're doing stupid shit to throw points away. If the unforced errors continue up till Christmas then we're fucked. We got a couple weeks off now I want to see a huge improvement in us chucking games away after that.

Rugby Sky Blue

I said at the start that I would be happy finishing 4th from bottom, so I am not surprised we are where we are. But as my old man pointed out to me last night we would be 4 points from safety in it wasn't Wednesdays points deduction. We really need to cut out the mistakes we are way too easy to score against.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

To summarise most threads.

MR is poor at subs
MR is poor at tactics
A lot of players are poor ? (don’t want to single them out)

Let’s ignore the huge financial gap.

Let’s comment Luton and barnsley, etc, we can easily compete, despite both of whom have had at least a year in in this league and the money that comes with it.

Yesterday MR was poor with subs.

We were starting to look tired and the balance had swung in their favour. He did nothing. We go behind so he (eventually in injury time) changes the RWB and a CM (taking off one of our better and more creative performers on the day in the process for someone who has looked industrious but off the pace). He has one sub left with a striker and a ACM/striker on the bench and doesn't use it even though we need a goal to get anything from the game.

You have to admit that is not an effective use of the subs.

Sky Blue Harry H

Whether you are an optimist or a pessimist regarding City's survival this year, let's hope you and your family are lucky enough to be around to see the outcome at the end of the season. If so be glad that you are around to enjoy next season (should we not be allowed back in to watch in person this season). Whether it be battling again in The Championship, or near the summit of League 1, be grateful that you are fit and well enough to 'enjoy' the highs and lows that following CCFC gives you. Instead of bandying 'cretin' and such insults at our own players, please have some perspective.

Hobo

To summarise most threads.

MR is poor at subs
MR is poor at tactics
A lot of players are poor ? (don’t want to single them out)

Let’s ignore the huge financial gap.

Let’s comment Luton and barnsley, etc, we can easily compete, despite both of whom have had at least a year in in this league and the money that comes with it.

Yes they have had a year to adapt. They havent had a 6 month lay off.

We have had one transfer window.

We have had a tough start, played all the top sides bar Norwich. We have even play Nottingham Forrest away and I bet they finish top half.

We are making silly mistakes which are costing us. It is going to be a long hard season and turn the corner. Injuries need to be kind to us.

Grendel

Yesterday MR was poor with subs.

We were starting to look tired and the balance had swung in their favour. He did nothing. We go behind so he (eventually in injury time) changes the RWB and a CM (taking off one of our better and more creative performers on the day in the process for someone who has looked industrious but off the pace). He has one sub left with a striker and a ACM/striker on the bench and doesn't use it even though we need a goal to get anything from the game.

You have to admit that is not an effective use of the subs.

He has clearly fell out with Bakayoko and would rather lose than put him on. The Micky Adams in Robins is never that far away

JeffB

I have watched Coventry since 1968 and yes I have survived and I am not a paranoid schizophrenic. However during that time you almost develop a sixth sense regarding fixtures. Forest has nearly always been a disastrous fixture for us in the most pillow punching circumstances . If you imagine the worst possible circumstances to lose that is generally what happens when we play them. My dad took me to Highfield Road to see them in the seventies and as I recall Forest had TWO men sent off in the first 10 minutes and after 90 minutes the score was nil nil. Almost taking the piss it was! Watford and Bristol City are 2 other fixtures where we traditionally get bugger all but disappointment. Last time we were in the Championship we had a pitiful record against them both

There is a run of teams coming up that we traditionally do well against. We always do well against the likes of Norwich, Wycombe, Luton and Sheffield Wednesday and I have a feeling that this season we are going to learn from the disappointments we have had against the better teams and become a lot more street wise. For the first time for many years I believe we are going to do well against those teams who by the end of the season are going to be in the dog fight with us; the Huddersfields, Rotherhams, Derbys and Barnsleys of this world.

I also believe that our season is going to mirror that of Luton Town last year. They were promoted as Champions. Struggled badly in the early part of the season and survived at the end. There is no footballing evidence to back up what is complete speculation on my part but half a century of following Coventry does tend to provide an insight into fixtures that have been both good and bad news if you believe in that sort of thing.

SlowerThanPlatt

I have watched Coventry since 1968 and yes I have survived and I am not a paranoid schizophrenic. However during that time you almost develop a sixth sense regarding fixtures. Forest has nearly always been a disastrous fixture for us in the most pillow punching circumstances . If you imagine the worst possible circumstances to lose that is generally what happens when we play them. My dad took me to Highfield Road to see them in the seventies and as I recall Forest had TWO men sent off in the first 10 minutes and after 90 minutes the score was nil nil. Almost taking the piss it was! Watford and Bristol City are 2 other fixtures where we traditionally get bugger all but disappointment. Last time we were in the Championship we had a pitiful record against them both

There is a run of teams coming up that we traditionally do well against. We always do well against the likes of Norwich, Wycombe, Luton and Sheffield Wednesday and I have a feeling that this season we are going to learn from the disappointments we have had against the better teams and become a lot more street wise. For the first time for many years I believe we are going to do well against those teams who by the end of the season are going to be in the dog fight with us; the Huddersfields, Rotherhams, Derbys and Barnsleys of this world.

I also believe that our season is going to mirror that of Luton Town last year. They were promoted as Champions. Struggled badly in the early part of the season and survived at the end. There is no footballing evidence to back up what is complete speculation on my part but half a century of following Coventry does tend to provide an insight into fixtures that have been both good and bad news if you believe in that sort of thing.

Luton’s upturn coincided with Nathan Jones returning. They were 5 points adrift

pusbccfc

When we were relegated in 2011 we were dog shit. Like, really bad.

This year we've played well but are making silly mistakes.

AFCCOVENTRY

We will need to make some clever PL loans in Jan to have a chance. But a couple of good ones and it will complete transform our chances.

Grendel

As if Bakayoko would have made a difference in the result yesterday

Robins resigned him so must have believed he was able to compete?

Grendel

When we were relegated in 2011 we were dog shit. Like, really bad.

This year we've played well but are making silly mistakes.

Our record is the same and most at that time said we were playing great football and would be fine

Grendel

cc84cov

Thats made me feel a lot better - we had Cody McDonald to help achieve that though
“We will be fine I’m certain we play some lovely stuff”

lose again brum we could be 7 points behind the teams above,they have to get shit sorted this international break

Travs

“We will be fine I’m certain we play some lovely stuff”

lose again brum we could be 7 points behind the teams above,they have to get shit sorted this international break

You said similar before Reading/Forest.... "we'll be six points behind and doomed"

Then after we beat Reading, claimed all was good in the world.

Now back to doomsday scenario after an encouraging (but admittedly mistake-tainted) performance.

You're not exactly providing any stunning insight... just spouting reactionary crap based on the outcome of the previous result.

cc84cov

You said similar before Reading/Forest.... "we'll be six points behind and doomed"

Then after we beat Reading, claimed all was good in the world.

Now back to doomsday scenario after an encouraging (but admittedly mistake-tainted) performance.

You're not exactly providing any stunning insight... just spouting reactionary crap based on the outcome of the previous result.
I’m not lying tho am I ? If results don’t go our way 7 points is a gap can you find me where I said all is good on the world after reading you quote me on stuff without backing it up with anything 🤷🏻‍♂️

Travs

I’m not lying tho am I ? If results don’t go our way 7 points is a gap can you find me where I said all is good on the world after reading you quote me on stuff without backing it up with anything 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes that could happen. We could also be 4pts clear of the bottom three if results go our way.

If you think i'm spending my sunday afternoon trawling through pages of this forum to prove a point then you're very much mistaken. But i distinctly remember a post after the Reading match where you stated we'd be fine as we will learn to cut out mistakes as the season progresses... the reason i clocked it was because you were stating before the game that we could be out of touch if results hadn't gone our way (which i thought was rather a pessimistic opinion.... although you're quite entitled to it)

pusbccfc

Our record is the same and most at that time said we were playing great football and would be fine

I can't remember a single person who said we played well at any point that season. We played a terrible style of football with Clive Platt and Jutkiewicz up front.

cc84cov

Yes that could happen. We could also be 4pts clear of the bottom three if results go our way.

If you think i'm spending my sunday afternoon trawling through pages of this forum to prove a point then you're very much mistaken. But i distinctly remember a post after the Reading match where you stated we'd be fine as we will learn to cut out mistakes as the season progresses... the reason i clocked it was because you were stating before the game that we could be out of touch if results hadn't gone our way (which i thought was rather a pessimistic opinion.... although you're quite entitled to it)
So basically you’ve got nothing to back up your first reply ? Ok let’s leave it there son,I’ve been under no illusion since pre season without experienced players at the level we will be in trouble again you can go back and there all there 😁

Travs

So basically you’ve got nothing to back up your first reply ? Ok let’s leave it there son,I’ve been under no illusion since pre season without experienced players at the level we will be in trouble again you can go back and there all there 😁

Correct.... i have nothing to back it up... just my memory (which may be incorrect, who knows).

I don't take the internet seriously enough to feel the need to "back it up". If i'm wrong so be it.

cc84cov

Correct.... i have nothing to back it up... just my memory (which may be incorrect, who knows).

I don't take the internet seriously enough to feel the need to "back it up". If i'm wrong so be it.
Fair enough 🙏🏼🙏🏼

Grendel

I can't remember a single person who said we played well at any point that season. We played a terrible style of football with Clive Platt and Jutkiewicz up front.

We had a far better defence and people drooled over our diamond formation

mr_monkey

We had a far better defence and people drooled over our diamond formation

But tbf the quality of opposition was a lot worse back then, the money in the championship now is so so much more than it was when we were last in it

Users who are viewing this thread