Lets be realistic (1 Viewer)

Adge

Well what do we really expect? We knew the step up would be massive and so it’s proving to be, but I think we will survive which everyone would have taken before the season started and was probably the aim.
Remember seeing some thinking that we could challenge for the playoffs! 😆

ccfcway

To summarise most threads.

MR is poor at subs
MR is poor at tactics
A lot of players are poor ? (don’t want to single them out)

Let’s ignore the huge financial gap.

Let’s comment Luton and barnsley, etc, we can easily compete, despite both of whom have had at least a year in in this league and the money that comes with it.

larry_david

We've done enough to beat Swansea, boro, Reading, forest and Watford

We've taken 4 points out of this 15.

7 would be acceptable. 4 is not

Paxman II

There is a long way to go. Watching us I'm confident we have enough to do OK and MR will get things ticking. We have had a few things against us, and not using them as excuses but it is fair to say we have on balance played plenty of the top sides in our first set of games, and injuries to crucial players has not been helpful. While we are begining to settle and play well enough, we have been shooting ourselves in the foot with dreadful mistakes that ultimately proved costly. The last two games giving away late penalties. In the normal course of things that simply can't keep repeating itself. We are also failing to capitalise on plenty of chances created, which is also crucial at this level. Biamou and Oostigard should have buried their chances today. It will come and we will yet surprise a few as the season progresses.

skyblue025

The longer we keep conceding at least 2 goals per game the longer it will be without a victory. I thought we would have enough to stay up but not convinced now unless we can reduce the goals against. It's no good playing decently and keep losing.

Brighton Sky Blue

To summarise most threads.

MR is poor at subs
MR is poor at tactics
A lot of players are poor ? (don’t want to single them out)

Let’s ignore the huge financial gap.

Let’s comment Luton and barnsley, etc, we can easily compete, despite both of whom have had at least a year in in this league and the money that comes with it.

Luton went from L2 to the Championship in an even shorter time than us to be fair.

Blind-Faith

I think a lot of people , myself included are just frustrated , we seem to be able to compete at this level. We just keep shooting our selves in the foot with either sendings off, stupid penalties or gifting the opposition goals. We’re not getting done 5-0 every week. But we should be on more points than we are.

higgs

Well what do we really expect? We knew the step up would be massive and so it’s proving to be, but I think we will survive which everyone would have taken before the season started and was probably the aim.
Remember seeing some thinking that we could challenge for the playoffs!
I love your optimism about staying up wish I had some of it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Daz

I already thought this would be a season of consolidation, so finishing 4th from bottom would be enough for me. Frustratingly with a bit of intelligent game play and maturity we could be top half.
We have played a lot of the bigger clubs and in most cases gave a decent display
Genuinely think we will be safe by Easter

mark82

I wonder if that thinking at the time was based on a good defence not conceding many.

We didn't concede many last year but I think some of that was down to controlling games rather than being a great defence. Things will stabilise though, we've had some brutal fixtures to start the season including 6 of the top 7 plus last year's playoff finalists.

mark82

@Adge question about yesterday's penalty. Yesterday when I saw it, it looked like a stonewall penalty. Looking back today it looks like it hot his armpit. Is that still handball under the new rule? (Have to say, if you raise your arms like that you're asking for it regardless).

Grendel

@Adge question about yesterday's penalty. Yesterday when I saw it, it looked like a stonewall penalty. Looking back today it looks like it hot his armpit. Is that still handball under the new rule? (Have to say, if you raise your arms like that you're asking for it regardless).

lol

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Still optimistic about our chances of staying up. But we do have problems.

There has been a lot of talk about missing chances, particularly about Biamou, but that is not our biggest problem. We are about average in this division on the goal scoring front. All teams and all players miss chances ..... it isnt one player missing them that is costing us.

I see three major problems to sort out. Firstly conceding the goals. We have by far the worst record on that so far. That's not just the back three, we play as a team we defend as a team. We simply are not good enough for long enough in most games. We leave too many gaps and invite too much pressure. We are naive, vulnerable at the set piece and invite pressure on. Distribution from the back often seems a bit unsure. There have been times like against Reading we have done well but not often enough.

That leads in to the other two problems. We lack real pace. It isnt going to be a positive outcome if your defensive set up lacks pace if the players they are up against have it. We are not difficult enough to beat. We play some nice football but could do with turning defenders more going forward so they are not so comfortable, real pace does that

But it is not just physical speed it is mental speed too, too many minds switch off especially at the business end of matches. The shape goes, people are out of position, players make tired sloppy stupid passes. That runs through the whole team not just certain players. As yet the players are not mentally strong enough for the full matches at this level, unfortunately that will only come over time and by playing games

It has been a bigger step up than some realised, especially the fans. There is still time but we have to stop conceding so many goals, become more difficult to beat. That is what is damaging our hopes of survival. There is still time though.

PUSBs

Adge

Yes the “guidelines” are from the armpit down constitutes hand ball.
In real time 99% of referees will give that penalty yesterday because of the arms in the air.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yes the “guidelines” are from the armpit down constitutes hand ball.
In real time 99% of referees will give that penalty yesterday because of the arms in the air.

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing when he did it, it’s Sunday league stuff

Nick

Administrator
Remember seeing some thinking that we could challenge for the playoffs! 😆

I wasnt batshit enough to think we would challenge.

What pisses me off is that it isn't us being absolutely hammered and worldies scored against us. It's schoolboy mistakes losing us points.

Bournemouth was easier to take as we got run ragged, totally outclassed.

Evo1883

We will stay up, we will get it right.

Have some faith, 11 games, we're improving and we've played alot of very good sides already.

There are still 105 points to play for...

We've had many threads in league 2, league 1 all around this time of year worrying about what we will achieve... Let it ride

Evo1883

We need more points than the teams below us which we currently have...

Evo1883

In real terms we don’t

Tell Wigan that 🤣

But seriously, we do as it stands... And the fixtures on paper do get alot better from now overall... Weve really had a shocking run of fixtures together

I mean we've come through the fixtures just outside the relation zone

Let's see what happens, I'm absolutely positive we will be fine

Adge

I wasnt batshit enough to think we would challenge.

What pisses me off is that it isn't us being absolutely hammered and worldies scored against us. It's schoolboy mistakes losing us points.

Bournemouth was easier to take as we got run ragged, totally outclassed.
Yep-we are certainly making it easy for the opposition. I, along with many others no doubt, thought we would be getting a few tonkings along the way-that isn’t happening as yet which makes it all the more frustrating.

Brighton Sky Blue

Cant say that for sure

Current pts tally ha us out of relegation zone and close to those above us

Could be like that end of season too with same trajectory

Sheffield Wednesday’s PPG will see them overtake us in due course. 50 points is kind of the minimum you can expect to get away with. Less than that might happen some years and Wigan’s deduction saved Barnsley but assuming that’s the least we need it’s 42 points from 105.
That’s 6 points required every 5 games which I’d like to think we could get if not a few more.

covcity4life

Sheffield Wednesday’s PPG will see them overtake us in due course. 50 points is kind of the minimum you can expect to get away with. Less than that might happen some years and Wigan’s deduction saved Barnsley but assuming that’s the least we need it’s 42 points from 105.
That’s 6 points required every 5 games which I’d like to think we could get if not a few more.
Ppg doesnt necessarily stay the same all season long

Travs

At the start of the season, surely all of us would have looked at our fixtures and thought "if we're actually outside of the relegation zone mid-November, i'll snap your hand off".

Which we are...

We are par for the course. We made frustrating mistakes last season, and the season before. They are getting punished this year (surprise surprise).

It's frustrating to lose to Forest, to be in the lead for two minutes yesterday, etc. But did anyone expect any different this season?

Users who are viewing this thread