Les Reid Twitter (1 Viewer)

skybluetony176

About this Ray Ranson thing.

I was just reading LR's Twitter posts on it again. It goes from "hearing he's involved" to "he made an introduction"

Is that the extent of his involvement? What does that even mean? Was it casual at a party? Was it professional and once the introductions were made he goes away with a commission in his back pocket for making the introduction and there end's his involvement?

I can't help but think that Mr Reids tweets are carefully written to cause panic amongst cov fans. Say something but tell nothing while dropping in a few key words like "rent" and "Ray Ranson" just enough to poke the fires.

Something big is going down. I can feel it in my bones. Might be good for the club might be bad. I don't know.

Still, Les has promised some more snippets tomorrow. Can't wait.

letsallsingtogether

Funny thing is Tim Fisher was also approached funny but that hasn't been mentioned, I do not believe he took up the option though.
About this Ray Ranson thing.

I was just reading LR's Twitter posts on it again. It goes from "hearing he's involved" to "he made an introduction"

Is that the extent of his involvement? What does that even mean? Was it casual at a party? Was it professional and once the introductions were made he goes away with a commission in his back pocket for making the introduction and there end's his involvement?

I can't help but think that Mr Reids tweets are carefully written to cause panic amongst cov fans. Say something but tell nothing while dropping in a few key words like "rent" and "Ray Ranson" just enough to poke the fires.

Something big is going down. I can feel it in my bones. Might be good for the club might be bad. I don't know.

Still, Les has promised some more snippets tomorrow. Can't wait.

Les Reid Has surfaced again and started to write about the RICOH/ACL take over as if he had information about it. Well as this has been going on for a long time, why has he not tweeted about it before now? I got told last monday by someone who had just got back from abroad that a football fan (not a city fan) told him wasps were going to buy the RICOH. That was a week before it broke in the telegraph, (I did not belive the story). Les Reid knows as much as every one on here and that is not a lot about it.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Les Reid Has surfaced again and started to write about the RICOH/ACL take over as if he had information about it. Well as this has been going on for a long time, why has he not tweeted about it before now? I got told last monday by someone who had just got back from abroad that a football fan (not a city fan) told him wasps were going to buy the RICOH. That was a week before it broke in the telegraph, (I did not belive the story). Les Reid knows as much as every one on here and that is not a lot about it.

And where did the Telegraph get it from:thinking about::eek:

skybluetony176

There's something big happening and I doubt the bigger picture is what it looks like from the sound bites we are being fed. I don't know what it is but my gut feeling is that it's bad news for SISU. Does that mean it's bad news for the club?

Otis

There's something big happening and I doubt the bigger picture is what it looks like from the sound bites we are being fed. I don't know what it is but my gut feeling is that it's bad news for SISU. Does that mean it's bad news for the club?

Not if you are Spider Ricoh. If you are SR then everything bad for Sisu is good for the club.

Astute

There are a lot of good points being made here. And from both sides of the fence. We don't need to know the full details of the Wasps/Ricoh deal to know that they are good points.

Wasps playing at the Ricoh? Yes they should be playing in London if they can. If not they should be playing as close to London as they can. But it looks like they are the same as us. They want their own ground. It looks like they have struggled to get the money together for the Ricoh takeover. If this is the case they would struggle just to afford the land purchase in or near London. And this is without getting planning permission or paying for the build. But I am sure that they could rent nearer London.

CCC letting Wasps take over the Ricoh? It shouldn't happen. They built it for our football club. They gave our club a 50% share in a long lease. And if things would have gone the right way you would have thought that they would have been able to do a deal for at least the football stadium part. But that fell before the first hurdle when our 50% stake was sold. And we have been falling at each hurdle ever since. And the whole thing has become a joke. A very bad one at that.

Us building a new stadium because we need an all year round income from it? Another joke. From what they are saying it would be just a football stadium and also not in a location as good as the Ricoh which is just off the M6. So what income would it bring in other than matchdays? Where would it be? How would it be paid for?

Would a new stadium make CCFC sellable? Yes, but our club is about valueless. And spending 30m on a stadium wouldn't suddenly make our club worth 30m or more. And this is without the money already wasted that they will try and get back before they leave. So a no go.

CCC shouldn't let the Ricoh go to Wasps? Being a CCFC supporter I agree that they shouldn't. But they have to look after their best interests and not those at our club. And those that were calling the Ricoh a white elephant are now the most vocal against the Ricoh going to the Wasps. So are they saying that the Ricoh shouldn't become a white elephant and risk losing money for CCC, but it also shouldn't go to anyone else but CCC although those idiots running our club have said that they don't want it?

All sides involved are wrong here. Some more than others. And it looks like we will have to wait for the details to come out on what is going on. Why are SISU taking it all without throwing the kitchen sink as usual? For all we know they might have a deal to let our club go to whoever is behind taking over the Ricoh. SISU know that putting money into a stadium of any kind will be just as hard to recover as what they have already lost. And they want out. They brought our club back to the Ricoh when they said that they wouldn't under a rental agreement.

There are so many puzzle pieces that are not fitting together. And all of this can be great for our club just as much as it could finish us off.

BrakesFan

To be bluntly honest if it were a franchise football team moving in then I'd be up in arms, but I'm really not fussed about rugby.

theferret

If you were the council how long would you want the distraction of a sports stadium and its dodgy tenants? At some point they have to move on. I would have hoped us moving back would have enabled bridges to be built although I'm sure sisu knew wasps were in the offing when the came back. I don't agree with franchising but if ccfc keep stating their going to move then the council have no choice but to look for another team. What we need is for sisu to come out be honest and say we want the Ricoh and make a bid - but it's not going to happen.

Those 'dodgy tenants' are Coventry City Football Club, the city's biggest civic asset, just about the only thing that has to power to bring the people of the city together. Fucking unbelievable statement.

Somebody from Leicester council was on the TV the other day talking about investment and the boost to the economy since the football club were promoted to the top flight. Meanwhile in Coventry, our council is on the brink of putting a stop to that prospect for a generation at least, and people are defending them with 'what else can they do' nonsense.

What they can do is say no. If ACL are profitable and are meeting the loan repayment obligations why is there a need to sell now? Why the rush, and why in secret? It stinks.

BrakesFan

I'd say the main point is the impact on the two rugby club involved. City don't own the Ricoh now, and they won't own it if it's sold (at least in the short term). And is anyone seriously suggesting that the new owners will prevent City playing there?

theferret

I'd say the main point is the impact on the two rugby club involved. City don't own the Ricoh now, and they won't own it if it's sold (at least in the short term). And is anyone seriously suggesting that the new owners will prevent City playing there?

No, of course not. That's not the point though is it. What it will mean is that the club will not have any hope of ownership for the foreseeable future, and thus will not have the resources it needs to succeed. All we want as fans is a couple of years under the current arrangement in the hope that some trust is rebuilt, or better still somebody makes an approach for the club. All that goes out of the window if the Ricoh is sold now.

Otis

Those 'dodgy tenants' are Coventry City Football Club, the city's biggest civic asset, just about the only thing that has to power to bring the people of the city together. Fucking unbelievable statement.

Somebody from Leicester council was on the TV the other day talking about investment and the boost to the economy since the football club were promoted to the top flight. Meanwhile in Coventry, our council is on the brink of putting a stop to that prospect for a generation at least, and people are defending them with 'what else can they do' nonsense.

What they can do is say no. If ACL are profitable and are meeting the loan repayment obligations why is there a need to sell now? Why the rush, and why in secret? It stinks.

Seems like it isn't a rush though and talks have been going on for some time and this could well be to takeover in 2 years when the initial CCFC agreement ends and before the further option.

chiefdave

The problem we've got at the moment is that there are a few people on SBT who seem to think that a Ricoh / ACL takeover will get the club into trouble and so Sisu will be forced to sell. (I won't even give the idea that the FL would take away the golden share any credence.) So after having had one disastrous round of administration, points deducted and decamping 36 miles away, some people seem to be planning – and others blindly supporting – a scheme whereby the club will leave Coventry yet again. This in the hope that we may get new owners. Does anyone not see a problem here?

How have you come to that conclusion? The club currently has a 4 year agreement to play at the Ricoh which, as far as we know, will stand no matter who owns ACL. This is the length requested by the club as after that period we will be moving into our new stadium. Based on what SISU are telling us there is no way this takeover can have any impact on the club, either positive or negative.

No one is suggesting we should move away from Coventry, well that's not strictly true. There is one person who thinks it's a good idea and that's Joy Sepalla.

And FFS, if Ray Ranson is behind this we need to be very afraid.

Ray Ranson would be far from the top of my list but what should we be afraid of? We have no idea of his level of involvement, the only source on this is Les Reid who is saying things like "I'm hearing Ranson introduced Eurofin to Wasps" and "I'm told Ranson may be in on a club takeover". Lets assume that RR is intending to try and take over CCFC, while he's not top of the list with the rock and hard place options of SISU who want to take the club out of the city and RR who would presumably not what makes RR the worse of the two? Ranson knows the business, why would he come back if he didn't have a plan to turn it around? It's not like we've got anything left of value to be sold off.

Reid is also tweeting things from Byng, is he any better? Do we really want a chap who can't operate email to be running our club? Lets face it we don't have a great choice and maybe we need to look at what will make us more attractive to any future potential owner. I would say playing in the city at the Ricoh would be preferable to playing in the middle of nowhere.

Feel the same, just no idea what it is. Can't shake the feeling that we're being manipulated here but I'm not sure by who and what they are trying to achieve. It is unbelievable to me that Sepalla would just let someone else buy the Ricoh without any attempt to either buy it or block the sale. The fact that she seems happy to let it happen makes me wonder if there is a bigger plan we are not aware of and this somehow works in SISU's favour.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Surely you have to go with what Seppala has said ...... there is a plan forward, they will build own ground, they don't want any part of ACL, the club will develop its own income sources at the new ground etc. If that is the case then surely the reality is there is absolutely no threat to SISU's ownership because there is no connection between that and the Ricoh. In which case either the statement by Seppalla is false or there is scare mongering going on.

Where is this evidence that Ranson is involved? Who is doing the telling? I do not want him involved particularly and have no desire to see Hoffman or Elliott there either. If the person doing the telling has the facts that they are surely so would ACL/CCC/AEHC do we know that they would want any of them involved.

It feels to me very like earlier in the year when there were all sorts of comments coming out about smoking guns, having seen the evidence and its damning, people could be going to jail even ........ turned out nothing of the sort. That was a period when all sorts of characters raised their heads to highlight all the bad things that ACL/CCC/Charity had done then faded away when it turned out not to be the way they put it. Seems to be a real effort to whip up the fans against this - but to what end when the club don't see their future there in 4 years time?

Bottom line is that it is the clubs owners that have said the long term future of CCFC is not at the Ricoh ....... In that case why does it matter to the club who is involved, and if it doesn't matter to the club should it matter to the fans? ............. other than the franchise issue of course?

The fans want CCFC at the Ricoh long term.............. but who has ever really listened to them

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

and if it doesn't matter to the club should it matter to the fans?

Because the way the rules of the game (as in the game of jockeying for positioning about what are acceptable terms of reference, for how society are structured), when it comes to sport, sees sports teams inextricably linked up with the local. There's been an erosion of that over the past 10-15 years as finance takes precedence but still, it's not just who goes and sees a match, but it's the sense of identity and marking off people even if they move away, as having a sense of place, and thus a sense of belonging.

Allowing the franchising of teams changes the rules of the game, it loosens the fields and shifts them ever so slightly in a particular direction. Now, once that is allowed, the balance tips towards franchising and finance taking priority over identity - this affects the sense of self, and also affects the sense of community.

Wasps moving in not only affects the community beyond CCFC fans, as there then is a muddied version of what to be from Coventry is, buyt the long term risks are that for the short term gain of cash, the community fractures, meaning without that link of sport to local to cultural fields, the teams either stop existing or become more flexible in where they are based.

In short, it affects CCFC.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I understand that NW. Just a few random thoughts - to be honest I cant make my mind up whether this sale is good or not. Financially it could be great, it could promote sport in the area, it could raise profiles or it could crash and burn. I really cannot decide which..... just not enough information to decide

It will undoubtedly affect that sense of identity in respect of CCFC and CRFC. Perhaps now both might care to get there heads out of the sand and actually do something to foster a sense of community, belonging and identity with those that care about each most - the fans. Had they had that strong flourishing bond then the market that Wasps perceive to be there would not actually exist in the first place?

There is the social argument yes but the creation of jobs and wealth in the north of Coventry also feeds in to that. There is still great need to create employment in that area and this could do that - which feeds in to peoples community and well being. Clearly SISU do not really see a future for CCFC at the Ricoh and in fact since 2003 when they sold off the interest the club has made no real effort to acquire the stadium or its management company. Yes there were discussions in 2012 but outside looking in it seemed an information gathering exercise in a bigger plan in my opinion. The Council in those circumstances have to look at the greater social picture of a stadium with no major tenant of any sort, that lowers profile and a city's identity. If say Wasps do acquire it then the national coverage will be greater, possibly greater than a L1 football team that raises the profile and if successful feeds a city's identity.

Yes there are the communities of CCFC (under 10k it seems) and CRFC (under2k it seems) that are affected but is there potential for greater social gains for Coventry as a whole (330K in the city and a far greater nearby catchment area). Will it help spark the creation of new businesses, regenerate the pub trades, bring forward much needed hotel building and associated entertainment and eating outlets. Is that part of the aim? It is not an easy question to answer or problem to solve. CRFC will remain at the Butts Arena not sure their community will be greatly affected by this indeed form a partnership of some sort and it may benefit - would be interesting if one day they were playing each other at the Ricoh.

CCFC it seems will move somewhere else not really because they are being forced out or because there is some devious plan to oust SISU - but it seems first and foremost that the owners simply do not want to be there and see no future there. Or perhaps they are sticking stubbornly to a strategy and can not or care not what it does to the fans or CCFC customers. Who is causing greatest damage to a community ?

It seems Wasps have carried out research in to the social inclusion aspects. What for instance would be the impact of them becoming the Coventry Wasps? Were they to be successful, have some big European terms come to play I suspect there could be some interest generated from within Coventry - that's a threat to CCFC & CRFC but a boost for the City not just financially.

There are so many unknowns in this so many things that seem to contradict with heart or mind.

The biggest disappointment to me over the past few weeks was the press release from Seppalla that RobS put out. Information I had pieced together had started to make me a little more receptive or positive but that statement totally deflated everything.

What the fans want is a long term viable future at the Ricoh for CCFC - that has to mean a deal where that is possible with better access to certain incomes. The only ones saying that wont and cant happen is SISU. There has been no expression or hint of interest, there has been no contact, no approach, no sense of "hey that should be us" from SISU. The stadium needs to be used long term not just the next two years with an option for two more. As they say time waits for no man (or woman).

To be honest the whole thing leaves me feeling sad and flat. Perhaps that is the legacy from all concerned to the CCFC fans ...............

Last edited:

stupot07

How many jobs will it really generate? The groundsman will be the same, they will probably use the same stewards as the club, the catering staff will be the same Compass zero contract employees that work for them now, same with the orange coated stewards. I can't see them moving hear will generate significant amount of jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

NorthernWisdom

The communities affected are larger than the absolute gates. That's the point, the absolute numbers aren't really relevant, it's the overall coherance. We don't end up with three spires and a skyscraper after all, the focus is on what takes years to build up to create the sense of permanence and stability.

And that filters into peoples' desire to call a place home rather than move through it, too.

It still filters through to the sense of belonging and identity for people who never go near the rugby or football club, it's part of the mesh of what it means to be from a place.

J

Jack Griffin

How many jobs will it really generate? The groundsman will be the same, they will probably use the same stewards as the club, the catering staff will be the same Compass zero contract employees that work for them now, same with the orange coated stewards. I can't see them moving hear will generate significant amount of jobs.

I think maybe the Wasps deal includes financing the building of a hotel on car park C. I don't know this for sure, but I reckon so.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
For the same reason CCFC being there Wasps being there together with the big increase in business at the site plus the rail link makes the business case to develop new restaurants, new food outlets, new hotels a better proposition. If the case stacks up which it didn't before then developers will step forward. That happens then jobs will be created both in the build and operation but not just at the Ricoh.

Just to clarify things on the job front there - Compass are holding regular recruitment days to staff the Ricoh, the level of business there means they need to, CCFC being there has increased that need. But I wouldn't read in to that CCFC are essential to it all but they need a major sporting tenant to properly use the stadium

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Interesting.

Yes considering there are only five on the Board 2 from CCC 2 from the Charity and Mr Robinson

So hardly likely the Board itself is against the proposal is it

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Yes that's the CEO of ACL. As it goes whilst it would be prudent to consult senior management and partners at the Ricoh the stakeholders do not have to.

duffer

I understand that NW. Just a few random thoughts - to be honest I cant make my mind up whether this sale is good or not. Financially it could be great, it could promote sport in the area, it could raise profiles or it could crash and burn. I really cannot decide which..... just not enough information to decide

It will undoubtedly affect that sense of identity in respect of CCFC and CRFC. Perhaps now both might care to get there heads out of the sand and actually do something to foster a sense of community, belonging and identity with those that care about each most - the fans. Had they had that strong flourishing bond then the market that Wasps perceive to be there would not actually exist in the first place?

There is the social argument yes but the creation of jobs and wealth in the north of Coventry also feeds in to that. There is still great need to create employment in that area and this could do that - which feeds in to peoples community and well being. Clearly SISU do not really see a future for CCFC at the Ricoh and in fact since 2003 when they sold off the interest the club has made no real effort to acquire the stadium or its management company. Yes there were discussions in 2012 but outside looking in it seemed an information gathering exercise in a bigger plan in my opinion. The Council in those circumstances have to look at the greater social picture of a stadium with no major tenant of any sort, that lowers profile and a city's identity. If say Wasps do acquire it then the national coverage will be greater, possibly greater than a L1 football team that raises the profile and if successful feeds a city's identity.

Yes there are the communities of CCFC (under 10k it seems) and CRFC (under2k it seems) that are affected but is there potential for greater social gains for Coventry as a whole (330K in the city and a far greater nearby catchment area). Will it help spark the creation of new businesses, regenerate the pub trades, bring forward much needed hotel building and associated entertainment and eating outlets. Is that part of the aim? It is not an easy question to answer or problem to solve. CRFC will remain at the Butts Arena not sure their community will be greatly affected by this indeed form a partnership of some sort and it may benefit - would be interesting if one day they were playing each other at the Ricoh.

CCFC it seems will move somewhere else not really because they are being forced out or because there is some devious plan to oust SISU - but it seems first and foremost that the owners simply do not want to be there and see no future there. Or perhaps they are sticking stubbornly to a strategy and can not or care not what it does to the fans or CCFC customers. Who is causing greatest damage to a community ?

It seems Wasps have carried out research in to the social inclusion aspects. What for instance would be the impact of them becoming the Coventry Wasps? Were they to be successful, have some big European terms come to play I suspect there could be some interest generated from within Coventry - that's a threat to CCFC & CRFC but a boost for the City not just financially.

There are so many unknowns in this so many things that seem to contradict with heart or mind.

The biggest disappointment to me over the past few weeks was the press release from Seppalla that RobS put out. Information I had pieced together had started to make me a little more receptive or positive but that statement totally deflated everything.

What the fans want is a long term viable future at the Ricoh for CCFC - that has to mean a deal where that is possible with better access to certain incomes. The only ones saying that wont and cant happen is SISU. There has been no expression or hint of interest, there has been no contact, no approach, no sense of "hey that should be us" from SISU. The stadium needs to be used long term not just the next two years with an option for two more. As they say time waits for no man (or woman).

To be honest the whole thing leaves me feeling sad and flat. Perhaps that is the legacy from all concerned to the CCFC fans ...............

Just putting aside the moral argument for a moment, can we consider how big a product Wasps are offering.

Currently two "franchise clubs", London Welsh and London Irish, at Oxford and Reading respectively, get what we would consider as appalling crowds for their home league fixtures 3,000 for Welsh, 6,000 odd for Irish. Other than the odd European game I can't see how much money or employment Wasps would bring to the wider economy. Rugby, much as I personally enjoy it, doesn't come close to football in terms of draw or prestige.

As an example, what's the last big European game of rugby anyone here can remember? Other than Leicester, Northampton or Bath, can anyone name a town that they'd associate strongly with Premiership rugby?

In my opinion bringing in Wasps isn't likely to bring any significant benefits to the city. The kind of numbers of fans that we're talking about is hardly going to spark off any significant redevelopment, and the game at grassroots level doesn't rely on having a Premiership team on the doorstep.

Last edited:

Monners

There is also Gloucester and don't forget Harlequins (across the road from Twickers). New boys on the block are Exeter also.

Users who are viewing this thread