Legends Day Line Up Announced (2 Viewers)

Otis

It’s called the Legends Day because quite a few genuine legends will be there, along with loads of ex-players who still feel enough affinity with the club to want to be there. It’s always interesting and quite heart-warming to see them all.

I don’t feel swindled under the Trades Descriptions Act, and Legends Day is a perfectly good name for it. As far as I can see, it doesn’t claim anywhere in the publicity that all of the players in the list are legends, so what on earth is the problem?
Because players like Claus Jorgensen are embarrassed by it?

What you are saying is correct, but it is called Legends Day and Kevan Smith will be there.

I take it then if you went to see the Beach Boys in concert and it was just Mike Love and none of the other members you wouldn't at all feel slightly miffed or swindled.

The whole thing is easily rectifiable and as I keep saying (must be eleventy billion and three times now), I have no problems at all with any ex City player being there or being openly welcomed.

The problem seems quite clearly to be that players who hardly appeared have the problem with being labeled a legend.

Calista

Because players like Claus Jorgensen are embarrassed by it?

The whole thing is easily rectifiable and as I keep saying (must be eleventy billion and three times now), I have no problems at all with any ex City player being there or being openly welcomed.

The problem seems quite clearly to be that players who hardly appeared have the problem with being labeled a legend.

It doesn't need rectifying. They haven’t all been labelled as legends – the day has been called “Legends Day”, and some proper legends will be there.

If a music festival had half a dozen top-line acts, and called itself “Giants of Rock” or something, surely that would be fine. The supporting acts would feel honoured not embarrassed, and nobody would complain about Patti O’Doors being mis-sold as a giant. Just because less famous people were appearing, would they have to change the name to “Musical Performance Weekend”?

Otis

It doesn't need rectifying. They haven’t all been labelled as legends – the day has been called “Legends Day”, and some proper legends will be there.

If a music festival had half a dozen top-line acts, and called itself “Giants of Rock” or something, surely that would be fine. The supporting acts would feel honoured not embarrassed, and nobody would complain about Patti O’Doors being mis-sold as a giant. Just because less famous people were appearing, would they have to change the name to “Musical Performance Weekend”?
You could have used a better analogy.

Everyone knows the headline bands and they are up in big headlines everywhere, in bigger fonts on the posters.

When they come on stage they are bigged up more than the smaller supporting bands and get longer on stage too.

On Legends Day all the players are given exactly the same platform, the same amount of time being announced and same length of time on the pitch and are all called out and announced equally.

I get your point, but you should have come up with a much better comparison than that.

At a Giants of Rock concert the bands are given different levels of importance and exposure and are not all treated the same.

Adge

It's a shame they haven't managed to get Dion to come along to the legends day.
I raised this with Billy Bell who said there initially was a bit of animosity ,(on both sides which has now long gone) and they hope to get him along in the future.
For me no one deserves a better reception than Dion during my era for what he done/contributed to the club.

Johnnythespider

It surely dilutes from the experience having players there who are quite simply not legends. I'm not sure what criteria could be used to define a legend but maybe winning something, making a certain amount of appearances, being a firm fans favourite would be a good place to start. With all respect to players like Paul Culpin he is not a legend, I'm sure he's a decent bloke and it's nice that he still has an affinity to the club, but when the players are introduced at half time it's a bit embarrassing when Wallace or Hutchinson walk on and somebody like Culpin follows them.

Otis

It surely dilutes from the experience having players there who are quite simply not legends. I'm not sure what criteria could be used to define a legend but maybe winning something, making a certain amount of appearances, being a firm fans favourite would be a good place to start. With all respect to players like Paul Culpin he is not a legend, I'm sure he's a decent bloke and it's nice that he still has an affinity to the club, but when the players are introduced at half time it's a bit embarrassing when Wallace or Hutchinson walk on and somebody like Culpin follows them.
Exactly! Thanks, Spider, that's exactly what I am saying and why some fans in the stands are sarcastically laughing when the likes of Culpin are announced.

No-one is saying don't let ex players turn up, but Culpin is not a legend and Kevan Smith isn't either.

oscillatewildly

After all this, Otis I'm expecting you on the pitch at HT, avec high vis and clipboard directing the true legends "To the right, others to the left".

Reactions: vow

Calista

You could have used a better analogy.
I get your point, but you should have come up with a much better comparison than that.
Sorry Otis, I’ll try harder next time :)

We obviously disagree on this but it’s not something to argue about – I only read about 10% of what’s on the forum these days, but I enjoy most of what you post, and I'm in awe of anyone with 53,000 to their name. Is it curable?

Back to the topic – am I right in thinking that Keith Houchen doesn’t normally appear on these occasions? If so, maybe the Cyrille Regis thing has swayed him. It will be great to see him - one true legend paying tribute to another, his striking partner on the greatest day we ever had.

vow

Two of them could form a band, The Flying Pickerings. One of them has already had a single in the charts after all in '87.

"Nick to the left of me, Ally to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with Pead".

It's a shit business....
Heeeeeeeeeeey!

Johhny Blue

NEWS: Legends Day line up announced!

• Bob Allen
  • Dele Adebola
  • Roy Barry
  • Dave Bennett
  • Jim Blyth
  • Ken Brown
  • Dietmar Bruck
  • Dave Busst
  • Paul Culpin
  • Ron Farmer
  • Stuart Giddings
  • Ian Goodwin
  • Bobby Gould
  • Micky Gynn
  • Lol Harvey
  • Colin Holder
  • Jimmy Holmes
  • Peter Hormantschuk
  • Keith Houchen
  • George Hudson
  • Claus Jorgensen
  • Mick Kearns
  • Steve Morgan
  • Andy Morrell
  • Dennis Mortimer
  • Graham Newton
  • Brian Nicholas
  • Craig Pead
  • Ally Pickering
  • Nick Pickering
  • Barry Quinn
  • Brian Roberts
  • Graham Rodger
  • Gordon Simms
  • Kevan Smith
  • Colin Stein
  • Kirk Stephens
  • Bill Tedds
  • Graham Walker
  • Ian Wallace
  • Bob Wesson
  • Andy Whing
  • John Williams
  • Paul D.Williams
  • Paul R.Williams
  • Graham Withey
  • Peter Wyer
  • Quintin Young
I'm not applauding any of them until Grendal says it's ok

Otis

Sorry Otis, I’ll try harder next time :)

We obviously disagree on this but it’s not something to argue about – I only read about 10% of what’s on the forum these days, but I enjoy most of what you post, and I'm in awe of anyone with 53,000 to their name. Is it curable?

Back to the topic – am I right in thinking that Keith Houchen doesn’t normally appear on these occasions? If so, maybe the Cyrille Regis thing has swayed him. It will be great to see him - one true legend paying tribute to another, his striking partner on the greatest day we ever had.
Agree. Not really something to argue about.

I just think it's a shame when I see fans sneer and giggle when some of the players names are called out.

That might though be down to players having names like Peter Hormantschuck though possibly I guess.

Calista

I just think it's a shame when I see fans sneer and giggle when some of the players names are called out.

That might though be down to players having names like Peter Hormantschuck though possibly I guess.
The less-than-legendary old players will only be aware of the applause, not a few giggles. And anyone sniggering at “Chuckie” had better watch out – a good player and so committed to CCFC. I remember him celebrating a tackle he made at the West End as if he’d just scored the winner in the World Cup Final!

Hobo

probably 10 legends (apologies if i have missed anybody pre 70s)
bennett
blyth
gould
gynn
houchen
hudson
mortimer
pickering(n)
stein
wallace

You missed Jimmy Holmes and he wasn't pre 70's

oscillatewildly

A QPR 'legends day' featuring Danny Shittu and Marcus Bignot would be guaranteed to raise a couple of 'arfs', I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread