Legends Day Line Up Announced (2 Viewers)

Terry_dactyl

Out getting mayoral awards and free hotel rooms for being such an absolute City legend.

I guess city couldn’t afford his rider this year...a bath full of cheesy wotsits, 3 gallons of irn bru, and a beanbag stuffed with freshly plucked swan feathers.
That’s the life of a City Legend.

Otis

I guess city couldn’t afford his rider this year...a bath full of cheesy wotsits, 3 gallons of irn bru, and a beanbag stuffed with freshly plucked swan feathers.
That’s the life of a City Legend.
Yeah, but it's so easy to become a City legend these days apparently.

Just one appearance as a last minute sub in one single game and we all should be getting the player's name emblazoned upon the back of our shirts.

Terry_dactyl

Yeah, but it's so easy to become a City legend these days apparently.

Just one appearance as a last minute sub in one single game and we all should be getting the player's name emblazoned upon the back of our shirts.

Sorry, I just properly read this thread and realised there was a ‘serious’ debate going on...
Christ! My family and I have spent a lot of time and money supporting city over the years. Most of that time has been pretty bleak. One of the things that has got me, and I assume others, through this is an ability to laugh at how shit we’ve been...although this laughing can only take place a long time after a defeat or after the season has finished!
While I respect and to an extent admire anyone who has donned the skyblue shirt. I think it’d be pretty sorry state of affairs if we cant share a joke about the legend that is Craig Pead!

Otis

Sorry, I just properly read this thread and realised there was a ‘serious’ debate going on...
Christ! My family and I have spent a lot of time and money supporting city over the years. Most of that time has been pretty bleak. One of the things that has got me, and I assume others, through this is an ability to laugh at how shit we’ve been...although this laughing can only take place a long time after a defeat or after the season has finished!
While I respect and to an extent admire anyone who has donned the skyblue shirt. I think it’d be pretty sorry state of affairs if we cant share a joke about the legend that is Craig Pead!
Exactly.

Just call it Ex Players Day, or City Legends and Ex Players Day.

Even Claus Jorgensen ws embarrassed when it was mentioned on CWR about him being a legend and he of course got the first ever goal at the Ricoh.

If you call every City player a legend it totally undermines the meaning of the word.

pastythegreat

NEWS: Legends Day line up announced!

• Bob Allen
  • Dele Adebola
  • Roy Barry
  • Dave Bennett
  • Jim Blyth
  • Ken Brown
  • Dietmar Bruck
  • Dave Busst
  • Paul Culpin
  • Ron Farmer
  • Stuart Giddings
  • Ian Goodwin
  • Bobby Gould
  • Micky Gynn
  • Lol Harvey
  • Colin Holder
  • Jimmy Holmes
  • Peter Hormantschuk
  • Keith Houchen
  • George Hudson
  • Claus Jorgensen
  • Mick Kearns
  • Steve Morgan
  • Andy Morrell
  • Dennis Mortimer
  • Graham Newton
  • Brian Nicholas
  • Craig Pead
  • Ally Pickering
  • Nick Pickering
  • Barry Quinn
  • Brian Roberts
  • Graham Rodger
  • Gordon Simms
  • Kevan Smith
  • Colin Stein
  • Kirk Stephens
  • Bill Tedds
  • Graham Walker
  • Ian Wallace
  • Bob Wesson
  • Andy Whing
  • John Williams
  • Paul D.Williams
  • Paul R.Williams
  • Graham Withey
  • Peter Wyer
  • Quintin Young
Craig Pead. Did he even male it out of the reserves?

Nonleagueherewecome

Not enough of a legend for me, our Nick.

Never going to reach the level of such legends as Robert Betts, Tom Bates, Mark Noon and Ben Mackey is he.

Well Noon is definitely a legend-at Nuneaton. Bates and Mackey might have a claim for that at The Brakes too, but I don't think Bates hung around that long cos they were at a very low level back then. Mackey's had two spells there I think but didn't recapture the glory or the goalscoring of his first spell, so I guess he's kinda their little Sheff...

Otis

Well Noon is definitely a legend-at Nuneaton. Bates and Mackey might have a claim for that at The Brakes too, but I don't think Bates hung around that long cos they were at a very low level back then. Mackey's had two spells there I think but didn't recapture the glory or the goalscoring of his first spell, so I guess he's kinda their little Sheff...
So you are saying I need to bring a Boro scarf too on Saturday?

Nonleagueherewecome

Craig Pead. Did he even male it out of the reserves?
Painfully, yes: he played alongside McAllister and was one of the many players not close to his wavelength when he was player-manager. Meanwhile half of our best players were down the Memorial Park training as part of the Bomb Squad. Pead did go on to get into the L2 Team of the Year for Walsall when they went up, playing at RB, so at his peak he'd probably have been handy this season for us! From what I can recall, he went semi-pro due to an injury then retired all together quite early.

Nonleagueherewecome

So you are saying I need to bring a Boro scarf too on Saturday?

Yeah you need to get the missus to knit you one of those half and half scarves! Don't think they sell them for those two clubs together, oddly....

Apologies for the sexism.

tisza

Not sure what people expect.
Days of a player even making 100 appearances for a club before moving on are pretty much gone.
If some of this lot want to maintain links with the club all well and good.
One of my ambitions as a youngster was to grow big enough to have "Hormantschuk" instead off "Hunt" written on the back of my shirt :)

Otis

Not sure what people expect.
Days of a player even making 100 appearances for a club before moving on are pretty much gone.
If some of this lot want to maintain links with the club all well and good.
One of my ambitions as a youngster was to grow big enough to have "Hormantschuk" instead off "Hunt" written on the back of my shirt :)
You sure the 'Hunt' wasn't just misspelled?

Cov kid 55

These ex players are part of the CCFPA and represented the club with varying degrees of success. That's why they are invited.
Yes some are footnotes in the history of the club and the names of some will echo in eternity such as Dennis Mortimer, ian Wallace and Bobby Gould.
Why do some look at the negative in everything? isn't it enough that these guys wore the shirt and gave us memories that can be cherished?
Names like George Hudson brought a tear to my fathers eye, players like Bennett, Pickering, Gynn and Houchen are our history.
Why can't we just celebrate that rather than belittling the contribution of others that may not be so illuminating?
Like it or not these guys are Coventry City, I will never forget the day that Roy Barry broke his leg in March 1970 or the game where Quintin Young destroyed Leeds United 3-1 when they were the kings in 1972 or Andy Whing's goal in the last game at HR, a venue of legends in my tired eyes.
Great post, well said. We do like to belittle don’t we? Quentin Young - joined us from Rangers, I think?

Terry Gibson's perm

Not enough of a legend for me, our Nick.

Never going to reach the level of such legends as Robert Betts, Tom Bates, Mark Noon and Ben Mackey is he.

Can’t criticise tom Bates he sold my house for me

wingy

These ex players are part of the CCFPA and represented the club with varying degrees of success. That's why they are invited.
Yes some are footnotes in the history of the club and the names of some will echo in eternity such as Dennis Mortimer, ian Wallace and Bobby Gould.
Why do some look at the negative in everything? isn't it enough that these guys wore the shirt and gave us memories that can be cherished?
Names like George Hudson brought a tear to my fathers eye, players like Bennett, Pickering, Gynn and Houchen are our history.
Why can't we just celebrate that rather than belittling the contribution of others that may not be so illuminating?
Like it or not these guys are Coventry City, I will never forget the day that Roy Barry broke his leg in March 1970 or the game where Quintin Young destroyed Leeds United 3-1 when they were the kings in 1972 or Andy Whing's goal in the last game at HR, a venue of legends in my tired eyes.
It's a Coventry trait.
Full of Niggardly cynical folk.

Otis

It's a Coventry trait.
Full of Niggardly cynical folk.
But no-one is querying any of the ex City players turning up, Wingy and no-one is saying they won't warmly applaud them all.

There is nothing at all cynical in that.

I applaud every City player that comes out on to the pitch, both current, or former.

oscillatewildly

Sorry but you are totally and utterly missing the point.

1. No-one is belittling anyone.

2. Yes, all ex CCFC players and am happy they are invited to come along. All ex players should be welcome.

3. It's not looking at the negatives. It is simply pointing out something that is very, very odd at best.

4. It is utterly ridiculous and incredibly embarrassing and also belittles the title bestowed on great players to call the likes of Kevan Smith a legend. It's totally laughable. The bloke played just twice for us.

No-one is belittling the day, or the players coming back. They should all be welcomed back with open arms.

A legend is a legend though and an ex City player is an ex City player. Let's at least have that distinction.

Otherwise it is thoroughly embarrassing and makes us come across like a joke club.
Otis, it appears to me as though you are championing some kind of 'former player apartheid'. The legends lounge would not surprisingly, accommodate those considered to be worthy of that title. Then there would be a need to 'house' separately those that YOU consider merely 'ex players'.
I thought you were better than this, Otis, but it now transpires you're just another SPLITTER!

Otis

Otis, it appears to me as though you are championing some kind of 'former player apartheid'. The legends lounge would not surprisingly, accommodate those considered to be worthy of that title. Then there would be a need to 'house' separately those that YOU consider merely 'ex players'.
I thought you were better than this, Otis, but it now transpires you're just another SPLITTER!
Ha!!

No, that's not what I am saying.

If you look back at earlier posts I have suggested an ex players day.

We as supporters know who are legends and who are not. The club don't need to label everyone as a legend.

Just call it Ex Players Day. All welcome, everyone happy.

I am suggesting the opposite of what you are suggesting. :) Uniformity, not division.

We simply cannot say though that Brian Kilcline is a legend, but then so too is Kevan Smith, who only played two games for us.

Uniformity, not division. The division is coming because players with hardly any contribution at all to the Sky Blues' cause are being lumped together with true City legends. The fans will ridicule this notion. (Not me, I will applaud them all)

:)

Otis

Adebola is one of my favourite players in the post Premier League era so I'm always happy to see him on the list.
I'm happy to see pretty much all of them. There are always players on the list that I don't know, but accept all ex City players turning up.

Just notice a fair bit of mirth around me in the stands when some players names are announced though.

Think if we can get away from the whole 'legend' thing it will be much better for everyone and there will be much more unity and that's all I am seeking.

NortonSkyBlue

Ha!!

No, that's not what I am saying.

If you look back at earlier posts I have suggested an ex players day.

We as supporters know who are legends and who are not. The club don't need to label everyone as a legend.

Just call it Ex Players Day. All welcome, everyone happy.

I am suggesting the opposite of what you are suggesting. :) Uniformity, not division.

We simply cannot say though that Brian Kilcline is a legend, but then so too is Kevan Smith, who only played two games for us.

Uniformity, not division. The division is coming because players with hardly any contribution at all to the Sky Blues' cause are being lumped together with true City legends. The fans will ridicule this notion. (Not me, I will applaud them all)

:)
I sort of get your point, yes is it an ex players day and some of them are definitely stretching the definition of legend.
Given that the title is legends day and is part of the CCFPA calendar they are not going to grade their own members in a derogatory fashion.
It is what it is and as long as it draws in genuine legends then who are we to be churlish?
Although lacking Tommy Hutchison and Dion Dublin those of us of a certain vintage can roll back the years with memories of all our yesterdays.

Pete_87

I always thought Stuart Giddings' injury problems were a terrible shame. Looked a really fine player when he first made the breakthrough and had represented England at youth level.

Otis

I sort of get your point, yes is it an ex players day and some of them are definitely stretching the definition of legend.
Given that the title is legends day and is part of the CCFPA calendar they are not going to grade their own members in a derogatory fashion.
It is what it is and as long as it draws in genuine legends then who are we to be churlish?
Although lacking Tommy Hutchison and Dion Dublin those of us of a certain vintage can roll back the years with memories of all our yesterdays.
I just know some fans scarcastically cheers some of the names when they are called out and roll their eyes and sneer.

At the end of the day we should be welcoming any ex City player back to the Ricoh.

rupert_bear

WHY is George Curtis never at any of these legend day events ? Not only club captain and a major player perhaps the major player in the Jimmy Hill march to the top division but went on to be ceo of our club and the little matter of being the manager of our cup final team

skybluesam66

WHY is George Curtis never at any of these legend day events ? Not only club captain and a major player perhaps the major player in the Jimmy Hill march to the top division but went on to be ceo of our club and the little matter of being the manager of our cup final team
think his health is not great

Calista

It’s called the Legends Day because quite a few genuine legends will be there, along with loads of ex-players who still feel enough affinity with the club to want to be there. It’s always interesting and quite heart-warming to see them all.

I don’t feel swindled under the Trades Descriptions Act, and Legends Day is a perfectly good name for it. As far as I can see, it doesn’t claim anywhere in the publicity that all of the players in the list are legends, so what on earth is the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread