Legends Day Line Up Announced (1 Viewer)

skybluepm2

NEWS: Legends Day line up announced!

• Bob Allen
  • Dele Adebola
  • Roy Barry
  • Dave Bennett
  • Jim Blyth
  • Ken Brown
  • Dietmar Bruck
  • Dave Busst
  • Paul Culpin
  • Ron Farmer
  • Stuart Giddings
  • Ian Goodwin
  • Bobby Gould
  • Micky Gynn
  • Lol Harvey
  • Colin Holder
  • Jimmy Holmes
  • Peter Hormantschuk
  • Keith Houchen
  • George Hudson
  • Claus Jorgensen
  • Mick Kearns
  • Steve Morgan
  • Andy Morrell
  • Dennis Mortimer
  • Graham Newton
  • Brian Nicholas
  • Craig Pead
  • Ally Pickering
  • Nick Pickering
  • Barry Quinn
  • Brian Roberts
  • Graham Rodger
  • Gordon Simms
  • Kevan Smith
  • Colin Stein
  • Kirk Stephens
  • Bill Tedds
  • Graham Walker
  • Ian Wallace
  • Bob Wesson
  • Andy Whing
  • John Williams
  • Paul D.Williams
  • Paul R.Williams
  • Graham Withey
  • Peter Wyer
  • Quintin Young

skybluesam66

probably 10 legends (apologies if i have missed anybody pre 70s)
bennett
blyth
gould
gynn
houchen
hudson
mortimer
pickering(n)
stein
wallace

Otis

Some of them are the footballing equivalent of Les McQueen of Creme Brulee
I know it's nit picking a bit, but they should really call it Legends and Ex-Players Day.

They don't have to announce which ones are legends, we as City fans know fully well. Would save a bit of embarrassment re the Paul Culpin's and Graham Withey's of this world.

Legends and Ex-Players Day and then if some of wish to believe they are legends they can just go ahead and believe it.

Has Steve Hunt ever been to one? One of my all time favourites.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Who cares? They played for us (wouldn't wish that upon anyone) and should be given great respect for that alone.

One afternoon a year to show our appreciation. I think we can stop being miserable bastards and show some love for just once can't we? They put in a shift for the club in our hearts... For that alone they have my admiration!

Otis

Who cares? They played for us (wouldn't wish that upon anyone) and should be given great respect for that alone.

One afternoon a year to show our appreciation. I think we can stop being miserable bastards and show some love for just once can't we? They put in a shift for the club in our hearts... For that alone they have my admiration!
Agree with nearly all that, but there is no way Craig Pead, Graham Withey, Paul Culpin and Kevan Smith are legends.

Sky Blue Legends, ha! Kevan Smith played just 6 games for us.

Kingokings204

The question on everyone’s lips is Where is Gary mcsheffrey?

Playing for grimsby else he would be there.

Paxman II

I know it's nit picking a bit, but they should really call it Legends and Ex-Players Day.

They don't have to announce which ones are legends, we as City fans know fully well. Would save a bit of embarrassment re the Paul Culpin's and Graham Withey's of this world.

Legends and Ex-Players Day and then if some of wish to believe they are legends they can just go ahead and believe it.

Has Steve Hunt ever been to one? One of my all time favourites.

Are you being divisive Otis?
legends fits just fine. If you played for a professional football team you are a legend to so many....with one exception who is a well known Bellend!

Paul Anthony

I know the word Legend is thrown about a bit these days. But some of the names on that list.....

Otis

legends fits just fine. If you played for a professional football team you are a legend to so many....with one exception who is a well known Bellend!
What??? Divisive? I'm just saying it completely dilutes the meaning.

If you play for a team you are a legend?

Seriously??

So, Peter Ramage and Vladimir Gadzhev?

Again, seriously???

Otis

I have no problem at all with any ex player coming to the game and I would applaud them all.

But how can you call Tommy Hutchison a legend and then at the same time place Leigh Jenkinson in that same bracket?

It's ludicrous.

Grendel

Graham Withey makes Max Biamou look like Pele

Grendel

So Tommy Langley and Dion Dublin are legends.

Like your thinking.

NortonSkyBlue

These ex players are part of the CCFPA and represented the club with varying degrees of success. That's why they are invited.
Yes some are footnotes in the history of the club and the names of some will echo in eternity such as Dennis Mortimer, ian Wallace and Bobby Gould.
Why do some look at the negative in everything? isn't it enough that these guys wore the shirt and gave us memories that can be cherished?
Names like George Hudson brought a tear to my fathers eye, players like Bennett, Pickering, Gynn and Houchen are our history.
Why can't we just celebrate that rather than belittling the contribution of others that may not be so illuminating?
Like it or not these guys are Coventry City, I will never forget the day that Roy Barry broke his leg in March 1970 or the game where Quintin Young destroyed Leeds United 3-1 when they were the kings in 1972 or Andy Whing's goal in the last game at HR, a venue of legends in my tired eyes.

Paxman II

So Tommy Langley and Dion Dublin are legends.

Like your thinking.

You misunderstand Grendel. Only 11 players can make it to the heights of a professional team, or only one person can be a prime minister, or one of only 7 people like my brother, ride for his home town Coventry Bees. In my eyes that's a legend because not many achieve such goals. I know the word legend is a stretch and my brother was not the legend that was Nigel Boocock or Ole Olsen. Andy Whing is not the legend that was George Curtis, but they achieved high in their sphere and that makes them legendary because only a few can achieve it.

Nonleagueherewecome

Some of them are the footballing equivalent of Les McQueen of Creme Brulee

Two of them could form a band, The Flying Pickerings. One of them has already had a single in the charts after all in '87.

"Nick to the left of me, Ally to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with Pead".

It's a shit business....

Nonleagueherewecome

You misunderstand Grendel. Only 11 players can make it to the heights of a professional team, or only one person can be a prime minister, or one of only 7 people like my brother, ride for his home town Coventry Bees. In my eyes that's a legend because not many achieve such goals. I know the word legend is a stretch and my brother was not the legend that was Nigel Boocock or Ole Olsen. Andy Whing is not the legend that was George Curtis, but they achieved high in their sphere and that makes them legendary because only a few can achieve it.

Yeah and tbf Whingy is probably a legend to my little brothers who were about 9 and 11 years old when he scored the screamer against Derby, which is a higher level than they have much memory of us playing at since. Not as much of a legend as Whingy on here is though, naturally. :)

Nonleagueherewecome

No Darius Henderson Peter Ramage or Steven Hunt? Former Players Association Out!

They'll be along in 30 years when nobody can recognise or remember them!

Otis

These ex players are part of the CCFPA and represented the club with varying degrees of success. That's why they are invited.
Yes some are footnotes in the history of the club and the names of some will echo in eternity such as Dennis Mortimer, ian Wallace and Bobby Gould.
Why do some look at the negative in everything? isn't it enough that these guys wore the shirt and gave us memories that can be cherished?
Names like George Hudson brought a tear to my fathers eye, players like Bennett, Pickering, Gynn and Houchen are our history.
Why can't we just celebrate that rather than belittling the contribution of others that may not be so illuminating?
Like it or not these guys are Coventry City, I will never forget the day that Roy Barry broke his leg in March 1970 or the game where Quintin Young destroyed Leeds United 3-1 when they were the kings in 1972 or Andy Whing's goal in the last game at HR, a venue of legends in my tired eyes.
Sorry but you are totally and utterly missing the point.

1. No-one is belittling anyone.

2. Yes, all ex CCFC players and am happy they are invited to come along. All ex players should be welcome.

3. It's not looking at the negatives. It is simply pointing out something that is very, very odd at best.

4. It is utterly ridiculous and incredibly embarrassing and also belittles the title bestowed on great players to call the likes of Kevan Smith a legend. It's totally laughable. The bloke played just twice for us.

No-one is belittling the day, or the players coming back. They should all be welcomed back with open arms.

A legend is a legend though and an ex City player is an ex City player. Let's at least have that distinction.

Otherwise it is thoroughly embarrassing and makes us come across like a joke club.

Terry_dactyl

Not enough of a legend for me, our Nick.

Never going to reach the level of such legends as Robert Betts, Tom Bates, Mark Noon and Ben Mackey is he.

Let’s not forget Stuart Giddings in all of this!
Where’s Sandy Robertson when you need him?

Users who are viewing this thread