Lee Camp (1 Viewer)

Covstu

At least we made a signing in this window (sort of). Hopefully it’s not the only one!

Hobo

Good game for Wilson to start. We expected to lose so won't feel like a what if we had Marosi moment

Also if loses can make the switch over to camp having given Wilson a chance

How long is Marosi out for? 6 weeks?

I don't think anyone knows for definate yet? But sounds like at least 6 weeks?

SBT

How bad must this guy be in training then?

Don’t know why people are worried about us being able to spend in January, we must be rolling in it if we can afford to just sign players for no reason. He’s still only halfway through his contract with us!

Jamesimus

How bad must this guy be in training then?

Don’t know why people are worried about us being able to spend in January, we must be rolling in it if we can afford to just sign players for no reason. He’s still only halfway through his contract with us!

Maybe it's not necessarily that he's bad, it's just dropping a new goalkeeper into our style of play is asking quite a lot of them and could lead to even more mistakes.

SBT

Maybe it's not necessarily that he's bad, it's just dropping a new goalkeeper into our style of play is asking quite a lot of them and could lead to even more mistakes.

If he can’t pick it up in a month, why sign him?

Jamesimus

Wilson is making several a game now.

Yeah he's made a few, I'm not disputing that. Lee Camp might come in and do the same or be worse though.

I'm not saying it would necessarily be the wrong decision to replace Wilson at present, just that it might not work out as well as we might hope. The implications of bringing in a short term signing to replace our permanent back-up keeper could have negative effects in the long term.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah he's made a few, I'm not disputing that. Lee Camp might come in and do the same or be worse though.

I'm not saying it would necessarily be the wrong decision to replace Wilson at present, just that it might not work out as well as we might hope. The implications of bringing in a short term signing to replace our permanent back-up keeper could have negative effects in the long term.

I have argued that point before to be fair, and if Camp is rusty in training then sure don’t pick him. But Wilson seems to be getting worse for mistakes by the game

SBT

So we don't have to put Jamie Allen in goal if Wilson gets injured.

Seems like a waste of money to me. Wilson has been a much cheaper backup for much longer - if all we need is a warm body, then why sign an established Championship GK for the sake of a few minutes game time? We already know we can get Camp in on a couple of days notice anyway.

Greggs

Seems like a waste of money to me. Wilson has been a much cheaper backup for much longer - if all we need is a warm body, then why sign an established Championship GK for the sake of a few minutes game time? We already know we can get Camp in on a couple of days notice anyway.
Imagine the chaos on here if Wilson were to get injured aswell. Camp was solely bought in as cover

Jamesimus

I guess because he was readily available and we could afford it? I don't know what kind of deal has been offered, but I'm fairly certain, given our clubs recent spending record, that he's not breaking the bank.

You never know, we might end up seeing him play soon and hopefully he'll do well.

SBT

Imagine the chaos on here if Wilson were to get injured aswell. Camp was solely bought in as cover

You always need cover, but we overspent on the backup to the backup.

Imagine the chaos on here if we signed an experienced Championship striker on loan as cover for Walker, and then just kept him on the bench to play Baka instead.

Brighton Sky Blue

Imagine the chaos on here if we signed an experienced Championship striker on loan as cover for Walker, and then just kept him on the bench to play Baka instead.

Jamie McMaster’s only 38

Greggs

We signed a free agent - whose previous club is worse than us

SBT

How much did we spend out of interest?

No idea, but I’m willing to bet he’s earning more than Ben Wilson. If we were happy to have a relative nobody like him as a backup for a couple of seasons, why start spending money on backups who are apparently not even as good?

We’re supposedly skint and we need new players. Is it too much to ask for us to be smart about spending the little money we do have?

Jamesimus

No idea, but I’m willing to bet he’s earning more than Ben Wilson. If we were happy to have a relative nobody like him as a backup for a couple of seasons, why start spending money on backups who are apparently not even as good?

We’re supposedly skint and we need new players. Is it too much to ask for us to be smart about spending the little money we do have?

The difference may well be negligible and I'm fairly sure it's not the choice of signing Lee Camp (possibly even on a pay to play deal?) or a guaranteed 20 goal a season championship striker.

Also, it's not just as simple as "Lee Camp isn't as good" is it? That's the point I'm trying to make.

In recent years we've been relatively smart with money, can't say I know about this deal, but I'm certainly not going to be assuming it's been a massive waste of money when I have no idea either way.

johnwillomagic

I think Camp may get put into side for Millwall - tough place to go and his experience could be vital.

I personally think Wilson has done reasonably well in goal certainly a lot better than many thought and has made some good saves but is due a rest and it would be good to at least see if Camp has still got it at this level......mind you lots of people were shouting for Giles over McCallum, not me i hasten to add and look where that got us......he was crap last night,

Brighton Sky Blue

The difference may well be negligible and I'm fairly sure it's not the choice of signing Lee Camp (possibly even on a pay to play deal?) or a guaranteed 20 goal a season championship striker.

Also, it's not just as simple as "Lee Camp isn't as good" is it? That's the point I'm trying to make.

In recent years we've been relatively smart with money, can't say I know about this deal, but I'm certainly not going to be assuming it's been a massive waste of money when I have no idea either way.

I’m guessing his 2 month contract is worth a fraction of the £100k we got for each Sky game

Nick

Administrator

How much are we paying him?

Adge

I think Camp may get put into side for Millwall - tough place to go and his experience could be vital.

I personally think Wilson has done reasonably well in goal certainly a lot better than many thought and has made some good saves but is due a rest and it would be good to at least see if Camp has still got it at this level......mind you lots of people were shouting for Giles over McCallum, not me i hasten to add and look where that got us......he was crap last night,
McCallum hasn’t been much better to be fair.

TomRad85

What long term negative effects could it have? Affecting Wilsons confidence maybe, but then he's a backup goalkeeper of around league 2 standard so who really cares? We could pick up any number of those as a new backup in the summer.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

What long term negative effects could it have? Affecting Wilsons confidence maybe, but then he's a backup goalkeeper of around league 2 standard so who really cares? We could pick up any number of those as a new backup in the summer.

No player is bigger than the club not least the reserve keeper

Jamesimus

Wilson's confidence, the defences confidence, the way they play, whether other players feel their place is under threat.

I'm not saying it will and I'm certainly not saying we shouldn't give Lee Camp a go, as Wilson's made a few errors. I'm just explaining there are factors outside of "Lee Camp is / isn't good enough" that the management will be considering that mean it isn't that strange that he hasn't played yet. Maybe he will now be utilised and maybe he will do well. I won't be expecting a miracle in his first few games mind.

Users who are viewing this thread