Lack of investment in playing squad (1 Viewer)

mark82

Firstly, I know we've brought in plenty of new faces over the summer and seem to have made some good signings. My issue is the lack of investment post the McNulty sale. Since then we've signed Hiwula for a reported £150k & Bakayoko for a reported £70k. That's approx. £220k of £1.2million. It's just a little disappointing considering they've had the Maddison money too. I didn't expect it all to be sent, and know some goes on signing on fees and wages, but thought there'd be enough not to have to replace the players we've sold with loans.

Hobo

I think it has been a good window in so many ways. Happy with has come in on all levels. No they won't all succeed because that is football.

If we haven't spent all the money....good!

shmmeee

Yeah I feel the same. Would've liked to see us go for a proven player to complement the potential we've signed.

Our strategy seems to be get experience on a free and pick up potential cheap. I understand that, but worry it limits the options available for the experience and basically limits our window to the first few weeks when these types of players are available.

Even if we'd signed Chaplin for the rumoured £400k Id still be worried about the strategy. Less about the cash spent and more about the type of player.

Tomh111

How many times does it have to be spelled out to people, 1+1 does not equal two in this context.

Each will have a signing on fee, a loyalty bonus, an agents fee and additional salary.

This is also the case with ‘free transfers’ - There’s nothing in this life for free, is most definitely true.

Plus be renegotiated contract for various players, plus the contracted salary hikes for promotion that will have been in a lot of contracts.

Hobo

How many times does it have to be spelled out to people, 1+1 does not equal two in this context.

Each will have a signing on fee, a loyalty bonus, an agents fee and additional salary.

This is also the case with ‘free transfers’ - There’s nothing in this life for free, is most definitely true.

Plus be renegotiated contract for various players, plus the contracted salary hikes for promotion that will have been in a lot of contracts.

Don't over complicate it for some of our fans. They have a limited bank of responses they can post or shout out at matches...."get it forward"...."shooot"

CCFC_Charlie

I'll never understand why so many of our fans are always so keen to defend the lack of investment that goes into our playing squad in comparison to the money brought in. Just because we've had some good players come in on a free and some paid fees for some poor players doesn't negate the fact that you're much more likely to get a decent player if you're purchasing them from someone else as opposed to picking up scraps. The moment McNulty was sold we should have done what Reading have done to us and gone and bought Doidge or someone of that ilk. Someone with a proven track record of scoring goals, not multiple players with 'potential'. Signing players who might be good in a few years is fine, but you need to have some actual proven players in there as well to ensure that you're going to have a good chance at a positive season. Some of the players brought in by our League One rivals today put us to shame.

ccfclinney

Don’t forget joy will want a big payout again next year also ? Like this seasons accounts Payments to directors up substantially

shmmeee

McNulty came for free. Transfer fees are no indication of quality.

He came out of contract, not on a free per se. There are a limited number of players changing clubs like that each season and only at the start of the window. Once you find yourself halfway through a window you ain't going to get a McNulty on a free, you'll get a Vincenti.

Of course transfer fees are an indication, what a ridiculous statement. It's a direct indicator of the length of contract that players on and their perceived value to the selling club. Bayliss when he goes will go for more than Stokes. Wilson went for more than Cody McDonald.

No, it's not a guarantee, but it is an indicator and to suggest otherwise is either willfully ignorant or just plain idiotic.

skyblueelephant76

Today is a false end to the transfer window. We still have until the end of the month to bring more players in. EFL players can be signed on loan with an agreement for a permanent deal in January so the 5pm deadline doesn't affect us in anyway. The only thing it does is that it means Prem clubs can't take any of our players now.

W

westcountry_skyblue

You've got to give these players a chance and respect Mark Robins judgement,If you think like me they played well last week although a loss and we have added to the squad so lets see how it goes.
I am right behind Mark Robins and think we will deffo be up and around the play offs.
The bloke and his staff have done wonders since he came back to us,Onwards and upwards PUSB!!!

Nick

Administrator
Firstly, I know we've brought in plenty of new faces over the summer and seem to have made some good signings. My issue is the lack of investment post the McNulty sale. Since then we've signed Hiwula for a reported £150k & Bakayoko for a reported £70k. That's approx. £220k of £1.2million. It's just a little disappointing considering they've had the Maddison money too. I didn't expect it all to be sent, and know some goes on signing on fees and wages, but thought there'd be enough not to have to replace the players we've sold with loans.
Which players are being replaced with loans?

AJB1983

Plus we are in league 1......200k is about as expensive as it gets for a player in our league. Although as the fees are always undisclosed I guess we’ll never know for sure.
Championship and Prem is where the money is.

Nick

Administrator
He came out of contract, not on a free per se. There are a limited number of players changing clubs like that each season and only at the start of the window. Once you find yourself halfway through a window you ain't going to get a McNulty on a free, you'll get a Vincenti.

Of course transfer fees are an indication, what a ridiculous statement. It's a direct indicator of the length of contract that players on and their perceived value to the selling club. Bayliss when he goes will go for more than Stokes. Wilson went for more than Cody McDonald.

No, it's not a guarantee, but it is an indicator and to suggest otherwise is either willfully ignorant or just plain idiotic.

Out of contract is the same as a free.

mark82

Yep, think I said that on OP in a few less words. I'm not one to say it's going to Sisu, etc. That's not what I'm moaning about. I'd have been more than happy if the reinforcements brought in were free transfers, it's not about what we spend on transfer fees, it's that we've not replaced what we have lost.

I can accept we've brought in strikers, so we can call that replacing McNulty if we like (although I'd suggest Robins leaving open the number 10 suggests he thinks that replacement isn't found) but we let McDonald go with no replacement. I know we can get loans but selling players and replacing with loans is a mistake we've made in the past.

Nick

Administrator
I think people think the transfer window is only one day..

We were outbidding Charlton for ogogo and investing in long contracts for players we have signed.

It really isn't just about transfer fees. If we had signed somebody like Collins for 200k people would be saying it's great, 200k on hiwula and it's nothing!

shmmeee

Out of contract is the same as a free.

Point is you ain't going to find them outside of small windows at the start. They're a different type of transfer due to that and talking about them now is apples and oranges.

Manchester_sky_blue

I'll never understand why so many of our fans are always so keen to defend the lack of investment that goes into our playing squad in comparison to the money brought in. Just because we've had some good players come in on a free and some paid fees for some poor players doesn't negate the fact that you're much more likely to get a decent player if you're purchasing them from someone else as opposed to picking up scraps. The moment McNulty was sold we should have done what Reading have done to us and gone and bought Doidge or someone of that ilk. Someone with a proven track record of scoring goals, not multiple players with 'potential'. Signing players who might be good in a few years is fine, but you need to have some actual proven players in there as well to ensure that you're going to have a good chance at a positive season. Some of the players brought in by our League One rivals today put us to shame.
Like who? I've not seen any transfers of any particular note.

It's not ridiculous at all. In league one and two far more players move on a free than for a fee.

shmmeee

It's not ridiculous at all. In league one and two far more players move on a free than for a fee.

When do they move?

And more to the point, what's that got to do with a transfer fee being an indicator of quality?

Fergusons_Beard

Honestly ffs.

Has the OP had memory loss for 15 years.

When was the last time we spent over a Million for a player?

We’re in League 1. We need to spend wisely and as others have already said there’s massive on-costs for EVERY signing.

I am really happy with the players we’ve brought in-especially when compared to recent transfer windows when big players were sold with no replacements.

I think you need a time machine and go back to the infamous Mowbray transfer window to appreciate City’s investment in players this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nick

Administrator
Honestly ffs.

Has the OP had memory loss for 15 years.

When was the last time we spent over a Million for a player?

We’re in League 1. We need to spend wisely and as others have already said there’s massive on-costs for EVERY signing.

I am really happy with the players we’ve brought in-especially when compared to recent transfer windows when big players were sold with no replacements.

I think you need a time machine and go back to the infamous Mowbray transfer window to appreciate City’s investment in players this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bayliss didn't go so I think there was built up frustration that didn't happen to let out

mark82

I think people think the transfer window is only one day..

We were outbidding Charlton for ogogo and investing in long contracts for players we have signed.

It really isn't just about transfer fees. If we had signed somebody like Collins for 200k people would be saying it's great, 200k on hiwula and it's nothing!

I didn't say it was about transfer fees Nick, and I said we've made some good signings. I'm just slightly concerned that McDonald has left and no-one brought in to replace him. I rate Thompson but it still leaves us short of experience in defence.

Striker doesn't bother me so much but Robins leaving 10 open probably lets us know he thinks we need another.

If we bring in a CB and Striker on loan with a view to buy I'll be happy with that. If we're just going to develop other teams players I'm not sure it's the right thing to do for the long term.

Nick

Administrator
The fact you're being intentionally obtuse suggests you've accepted you've lost the argument.
Not really being obtuse when we have signed decent players on free transfers and they picked us over other teams?

shmmeee

I didn't say it was about transfer fees Nick, and I said we've made some good signings. I'm just slightly concerned that McDonald has left and no-one brought in to replace him. I rate Thompson but it still leaves us short of experience in defence.

Striker doesn't bother me so much but Robins leaving 10 open probably lets us know he thinks we need another.

If we bring in a CB and Striker on loan with a view to buy I'll be happy with that. If we're just going to develop other teams players I'm not sure it's the right thing to do for the long term.

Exactly, it's like they haven't actually read the posts they're replying to at all.

You don't find the sort of player I believe we need for free or cheap at this point. Ergo we needed to spend and didn't. Nothing to do with million pound players or frees at the start of the window.

CCFC_Charlie

Colclough to Scunthorpe, Toney to Peterborough, Ricky Holmes to Oxford, Stefan Payne to Bristol Rovers and Ollie Norburn to Shrewsbury all great signings and either loans or within the price range we've been offering for Chaplin.

Users who are viewing this thread