Lack of investment in playing squad (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Not really being obtuse when we have signed decent players on free transfers and they picked us over other teams?

Did we sign them after we sold McDonald and McNulty which is what we are taking about?

mark82

Honestly ffs.

Has the OP had memory loss for 15 years.

When was the last time we spent over a Million for a player?

We’re in League 1. We need to spend wisely and as others have already said there’s massive on-costs for EVERY signing.

I am really happy with the players we’ve brought in-especially when compared to recent transfer windows when big players were sold with no replacements.

I think you need a time machine and go back to the infamous Mowbray transfer window to appreciate City’s investment in players this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We'll, you clearly didn't actually read a word I'd written.

skybluetony176

Not sure we’ve signed enough quality up front yet (window still open at the moment) but we’ve played one game and I’m willing to give the signings we have made a chance to prove themselves and support them regardless, not that I have a choice. Be interesting to see what Robins has available to him for transfers come January. One thing I think we can be fairly certain of is there will be no bridging loans from SISU this season to plug gaps in cash flow and I doubt they’ll have to put equity in either.

Nick

Administrator
Exactly, it's like they haven't actually read the posts they're replying to at all.

You don't find the sort of player I believe we need for free or cheap at this point. Ergo we needed to spend and didn't. Nothing to do with million pound players or frees at the start of the window.
We did spend on players though? If we signed Chaplin for 200k people would see it differently.

Nick

Administrator
Did we sign them after we sold McDonald and McNulty which is what we are taking about?
We paid for players after we sold McNulty though? It isn't like it's a Darius Henderson situation.

McDonald was 4th choice. Maybe 5th if he brings Thompson through. He also wanted out so we got money when we could.

Not sure of your point?

shmmeee

We did spend on players though? If we signed Chaplin for 200k people would see it differently.

We spent nominal fees on young players that clearly even Robins doesn't see as direct replacements.

I'm really happy with the Hiwula signing BTW, he's got a track record and a good pedigree and I think he'll do well. Personally I'm more concerned about CB and GK but the fact is Robins clearly doesn't see him as a goal scorer from his comments and the lack of a No 10.

I'm worried that our only experience seems to be in the middle of the park and that will cost us. All of our experience came at the start of the window. There clearly wasn't a CB or a GK of quality available for free as we didn't sign one. Ergo we needed to spend and not a nominal fee on a youngster.

upload_2018-8-9_18-50-56.gif

Edit: and yes, Id have been happier with Chaplin as he looks a prospect, but I'd still be worried about experience.

Again: my issue is that the transfer policy of only spending small amounts on young players limits our ability to build a promotion winning squad.

mark82

Bayliss didn't go so I think there was built up frustration that didn't happen to let out

It's nothing to do with that, I'm not sure why that's even part of the discussion. Did you read what I'd said properly? I can't believe you did and still manage to say some of the things you have, that wouldn't add up. Keep it on topic! :wtf:

Hobo

I'll never understand why so many of our fans are always so keen to defend the lack of investment that goes into our playing squad in comparison to the money brought in. Just because we've had some good players come in on a free and some paid fees for some poor players doesn't negate the fact that you're much more likely to get a decent player if you're purchasing them from someone else as opposed to picking up scraps. The moment McNulty was sold we should have done what Reading have done to us and gone and bought Doidge or someone of that ilk. Someone with a proven track record of scoring goals, not multiple players with 'potential'. Signing players who might be good in a few years is fine, but you need to have some actual proven players in there as well to ensure that you're going to have a good chance at a positive season. Some of the players brought in by our League One rivals today put us to shame.

Defending nothing
1. There isn't a lack of investment in players
2. It is sensible finances, we aren't Premier League or Championship
3. You need to look at the potential of players we have rather than what we haven't got.
4. Chaplin would have been useful but not essential.

Samo

Firstly, I know we've brought in plenty of new faces over the summer and seem to have made some good signings. My issue is the lack of investment post the McNulty sale. Since then we've signed Hiwula for a reported £150k & Bakayoko for a reported £70k. That's approx. £220k of £1.2million. It's just a little disappointing considering they've had the Maddison money too. I didn't expect it all to be sent, and know some goes on signing on fees and wages, but thought there'd be enough not to have to replace the players we've sold with loans.

How much did we pay for McNulty?

mark82

Not sure we’ve signed enough quality up front yet (window still open at the moment) but we’ve played one game and I’m willing to give the signings we have made a chance to prove themselves and support them regardless, not that I have a choice. Be interesting to see what Robins has available to him for transfers come January. One thing I think we can be fairly certain of is there will be no bridging loans from SISU this season to plug gaps in cash flow and I doubt they’ll have to put equity in either.

The signings we've made aren't the problem. I'd never write anyone off before they'd played for us. I also have no issue with using money to make sure we break even, cover previous losses or pay back loans.

mark82

We paid for players after we sold McNulty though? It isn't like it's a Darius Henderson situation.

McDonald was 4th choice. Maybe 5th if he brings Thompson through. He also wanted out so we got money when we could.

Not sure of your point?

It's not about paying fees. I don't know how many times I have to say that .

Samo

Read the thread first mate (and at least the OP).

Yeah read your dumb OP smart ass. Now... how much did we pay for McNulty?

Nick

Administrator
We spent nominal fees on young players that clearly even Robins doesn't see as direct replacements.

I'm really happy with the Hiwula signing BTW, he's got a track record and a good pedigree and I think he'll do well. Personally I'm more concerned about CB and GK but the fact is Robins clearly doesn't see him as a goal scorer from his comments and the lack of a No 10.

I'm worried that our only experience seems to be in the middle of the park and that will cost us. All of our experience came at the start of the window. There clearly wasn't a CB or a GK of quality available for free as we didn't sign one. Ergo we needed to spend and not a nominal fee on a youngster.

View attachment 10319

Edit: and yes, Id have been happier with Chaplin as he looks a prospect, but I'd still be worried about experience.

Robins has had multiple Windows to sort a GK and doesn't seem too bothered at all about it does he? He also saw McDonald as down the list so he would have known full well his plan for him wouldn't he? If it was Willis who is clear first choice I would see it more

Surely if there's no number 10 he has a plan for somebody to fill it? Loans aren't free, sterling will be getting paid a fair whack for example.

It's all well and good playing what we paid down as nominal but we are a lower league club. That's effectively the norm.

CCFC_Charlie

Defending nothing
1. There isn't a lack of investment in players
2. It is sensible finances, we aren't Premier League or Championship
3. You need to look at the potential of players we have rather than what we haven't got.
4. Chaplin would have been useful but not essential.
Having players with potential is good, and so is managing the club well financially, but we've brought in a significant amount of cash this pre-season thanks to the Maddison sell on, the McNulty sale and on top of that the extra revenue from last season's promotion and cup run and it feels like we could have done a lot more with it to give ourselves a better chance of a successful season. The noises coming out of the club are that we're aiming for promotion again this season, but has the business done since McNulty was sold really reflected that?

mark82

Unless he's playing centre back I'm not sure I would. We've brought in strikers already, it's not really where we are short.

Fergusons_Beard

Firstly, I know we've brought in plenty of new faces over the summer and seem to have made some good signings. My issue is the lack of investment post the McNulty sale. Since then we've signed Hiwula for a reported £150k & Bakayoko for a reported £70k. That's approx. £220k of £1.2million. It's just a little disappointing considering they've had the Maddison money too. I didn't expect it all to be sent, and know some goes on signing on fees and wages, but thought there'd be enough not to have to replace the players we've sold with loans.

Er yes I did. Read.Your.Post.

Hence me asking when was the last time we spent a million for a player?

Can I also add that we have only one loan.(From Chelsea!)

Also I mentioned (as have others) about on-costs -significant even for frees or apparent low cost transfers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hobo

View attachment 10319

Again: my issue is that the transfer policy of only spending small amounts on young players limits our ability to build a promotion winning squad.

Hiwula, Andrue, Bayliss and Ogogo are capable of quick one touch football. I can only guess the negative posters were absent Saturday and just looked at the result. Jones to come back and Bakayoko has talent to be harnessed....it could be an exciting season?

shmmeee

Robins has had multiple Windows to sort a GK and doesn't seem too bothered at all about it does he? He also saw McDonald as down the list so he would have known full well his plan for him wouldn't he? If it was Willis who is clear first choice I would see it more

Surely if there's no number 10 he has a plan for somebody to fill it? Loans aren't free, sterling will be getting paid a fair whack for example.

It's all well and good playing what we paid down as nominal but we are a lower league club. That's effectively the norm.

He's spoken about wanting a CB and maybe a GK this summer, he's spent weeks chasing a paid for striker. Clearly he's not been able to achieve that and will now have to look at loans, none of that invalidates what I've said.

And £70k is a nominal fee when you've recieved £3m. That isn't the norm.

shmmeee

Hiwula, Andrue, Bayliss and Ogogo are capable of quick one touch football. I can only guess the negative posters were absent Saturday and just looked at the result. Jones to come back and Bakayoko has talent to be harnessed....it could be an exciting season?

Don't disagree, excited by all those players, just feel that for a long season Id like to see some experience in the squad to replace the old heads that have moved on. A L1 Doyle or McNulty if you will, someone who has been there and done that.

Nick

Administrator
He's spoken about wanting a CB and maybe a GK this summer, he's spent weeks chasing a paid for striker. Clearly he's not been able to achieve that and will now have to look at loans, none of that invalidates what I've said.

And £70k is a nominal fee when you've recieved £3m. That isn't the norm.
Where has 70k come from?

mark82

Yeah read your dumb OP smart ass. Now... how much did we pay for McNulty?

IT IS NOT ABOUT PAYING FEE'S! I'VE NEVER ANYWHERE SAID IT IS. FFS.

This is not about McNulty. It's about a lack of defensive cover primarily. Maybe the OP was badly phrased but I must have made this point 4 or 5 times now. I'll answer your irrelevant question - he was free. That's the best kind of transfer fee. I'd love it if everyone was brought in for free, if they were of the right quality. I'd like for us not to be weaker in our weakest position than we were in the league below last year and than we were 2 weeks ago.

shmmeee

Reports from Walsall on their forum was £70k rising to £200k, considering his record that seems about right.

Gosb

Colclough to Scunthorpe, Toney to Peterborough, Ricky Holmes to Oxford, Stefan Payne to Bristol Rovers and Ollie Norburn to Shrewsbury all great signings and either loans or within the price range we've been offering for Chaplin.
The strike rate for those 5 players taken together is less than 1 in every 4 games, so 11 goals in a full season. What's so great about that?

mark82

Plucked out his arse to suit his argument

I mentioned it on here first to be fair to Shmmeee. It's the figure I saw the other day. The actual fee is kind of irrelevant. I'm more concerned we've let people go without replacing.

shmmeee

I mentioned it on here first to be fair to Shmmeee. It's the figure I saw the other day. The actual fee is kind of irrelevant. I'm more concerned we've let people go without replacing.

And Im more concerned our transfer policy results in a lack of experience in vital areas.

But fuck it, let's ask how much McNulty cost again.

Samo

IT IS NOT ABOUT PAYING FEE'S! I'VE NEVER ANYWHERE SAID IT IS. FFS.

This is not about McNulty. It's about a lack of defensive cover primarily. Maybe the OP was badly phrased but I must have made this point 4 or 5 times now. I'll answer your irrelevant question - he was free. That's the best kind of transfer fee. I'd love it if everyone was brought in for free, if they were of the right quality. I'd like for us not to be weaker in our weakest position than we were in the league below last year and than we were 2 weeks ago.

Ok shouty boy, keep your Alan Wickers on mate, its just a forum.
The question is relevant though. Was zero spent on McNulty a lack of investment also? If the nominal fees spent on the 2 new front lads yields similar goal ratios then that is fantastic investment, not a lack of it. (remains to be seen of course)

Users who are viewing this thread