Lack of investment in playing squad (1 Viewer)

Magwitch

Still a month to go yet, loans are like permenant signings nowadays, Robins said he’d like three more, we got Bakayoko and certain he will bring loans in, but the proof in his signings will be on the pitch let’s see where we are by November I think we won’t be that bad.

Manchester_sky_blue

I'd rather loans with an option to buy. Chaplin would be ideal in that respect. If that happens I'll be very happy (as long as it's a pre-agreed price).

I would prefer a signing at centre back but will be a loan now I guess. The issue of have with the centre back position is that we're lacking experience. If we get an experienced player on loan that would be ok in the short term.

I guess the problem is, when McDonald is sold you assume it's because we are going to strengthen our squad at a position of need. A loan is a short term filler for me rather than a solution. I had just hoped he was going because we were bringing in a better player than we had (particularly when we'd had rumours shortly afterwards that they were lining someone up).
That's how football works though. The rumour was Larsen was coming in but it didn't happen for whatever reason.

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
Im sure teams that are odds on to be relegated would gladly take the players we signed, up to MR now see what he can do plus we can get in 1 or 2 loans if needs be lets see what happens over next few games before panicking.

chiefdave

Transfer fees only tell a fraction of the story at this level. Of course we'd all love it if Robins had got Adam Armstrong in for a couple of million but we have to be realistic.

Look at last season, we had similar complaints about not spending money then when the FA released the agents fees we'd spent more than anyone else in L2.

Besides for all we know Robins has made offers and not got his man. This isn't Tesco where you wander in and buy what you want. You need a willing selling club and a willing player who wants to come here rather than any other club chasing him.
Reports from Walsall on their forum was £70k rising to £200k, considering his record that seems about right.
Why is it players coming in have their up front free thrown around but for players going out its the maximum fee if we get all the add ons?

mark82

It's not investment then if he gets a number 10, it's about his priorities isn't it if he is going for loads of strikers?

Call it whatever makes you feel happy, I see it as failing to fill gaps with assets that would be saleable in the future - therefore missing an opportunity to invest in our clubs future. It's a minor concern, admittedly, because we have invested well in most positions, but I am disappointed - and it is my right to be disappointed, no-one can tell me otherwise. I just feel we've missed an opportunity.

At the end of the day, this is a forum where we express opinions. I didn't post because I thought everyone would agree, I knew they wouldn't, I posted because I wanted to see how others felt. There isn't a right and wrong.

Last edited:

mark82

Transfer fees only tell a fraction of the story at this level. Of course we'd all love it if Robins had got Adam Armstrong in for a couple of million but we have to be realistic.

Nope, that would've been an overspend in my eyes. Way too much risk that you wouldn't get a return on your investment.

Sky Blue Pete

I'm more concerned that the policy is one that isn't one where you see the signings & say, yeah they're trying to get promoted again. Its not really at that level is it?
Ogogo, Brown are excellent signings and I reckon sterling too and keeping Bayliss.

Last edited:

shmmeee

Look at last season, we had similar complaints about not spending money then when the FA released the agents fees we'd spent more than anyone else in L2.

Besides for all we know Robins has made offers and not got his man. This isn't Tesco where you wander in and buy what you want. You need a willing selling club and a willing player who wants to come here rather than any other club chasing him.

Why is it players coming in have their up front free thrown around but for players going out its the maximum fee if we get all the add ons?

I thought McNulty was £1.2m rising to £1.5m and Madders was £2-3m sellon? I've been quoting £3m which is the lower end of that range. Maybe you're doing that thing where you mash together two people's opinions under the banner of "people"?

mark82

I'm more concerned that the policy is one that isn't one where you see the signings & say, yeah they're trying to get promoted again. Its not really at that level is it?

Not sure about that. Sterling was a coup (albeit a loan), mason was highly rated at premier league level a couple of years back, Brown and Ogogo were key components in a team that narrowly missed promotion last year, Allassani was only in non-league because he injured himself as he was about to sign for a championship team a year or 2 ago, Hiluwa has done it at this level before. There is plenty of quality. Holding onto all key players except McNulty (who engineered a move) has to be a positive show of intent too.

Grendel

I thought McNulty was £1.2m rising to £1.5m and Madders was £2-3m sellon? I've been quoting £3m which is the lower end of that range. Maybe you're doing that thing where you mash together two people's opinions under the banner of "people"?

All up front fees are never paid up front but normally over the contract period. You don’t think we get the upfront fee straight away do you?

shmmeee

We've had a good window with potentially a couple more in on loan etc but you have to have a did at the club for trying to build wisely and with a budget they can afford

Clearly we could afford £400k more as that's what we've been offering for Chaplin.

That's what I'm saying. I want us to go for it because we got the cash to do it this summer. With the two sales the stars aligned and I'm a big believer that the momentum from one promotion campaign gives you your best shot at another.

And to get promoted I think you need experience all over the pitch. And at this point in the season you need to spend a little to get that.

mark82

All up front fees are never paid up front but normally over the contract period. You don’t think we get the upfront fee straight away do you?

It's not automatically that way, depends on the structure of the deal. There's no real way to know the exact amount we've had up front but itlli be a large percentage I suspect. It wasn't a huge transfer for them, they spent £5m on Baldock.

Nick

Administrator
That's how football works though. The rumour was Larsen was coming in but it didn't happen for whatever reason.
Larsen (if it was him) came in on trial and went before we got rid of McDonald.

McDonald was no longer first on the team sheet, he was 4th or 5th

Manchester_sky_blue

Larsen (if it was him) came in on trial and went before we got rid of McDonald.

McDonald was no longer first on the team sheet, he was 4th or 5th
Didn't realise that he had been on trial so I stand corrected. I have made the same point though on several threads that, as you say, Rod was already out of the first team picture before he was sold so there was no pressing need to fill the gap.

Nick

Administrator
Didn't realise that he had been on trial so I stand corrected. I have made the same point though on several threads that, as you say, Rod was already out of the first team picture before he was sold so there was no pressing need to fill the gap.
Well I assume it was him. I heard either a danish or Dutch centre half.

Grendel

Well then we won't pay any fees up front either will we? So how is that at all relevant?

It’s relevant as you keep quoting receiving £1.2m for McNulty - we haven’t

higgs

I think the guy from Huddersfield is mcnulty s replacement but robin's hasn't said it so that there isn't too much pressure put on the young lad. Good management in leaving the number 10 shirt free also

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hobo

I think they are giving it a good shot but within budget, so there are a few gambles in the purchases. But if you have deep pockets go ahead mate and throw your own money at the team.

Hobo

It would be suicide to gamble it all in one widow. It will be trickling in over a number of years. Plus we do have debt, plus interest.

Nick

Administrator
It would be suicide to gamble it all in one widow. It will be trickling in over a number of years. Plus we do have debt, plus interest.
I never spend all my money on a single widow either, spread it out across a few...

Gint11

Chill out people. What if we go and win the next 3 games? Will you panick about signings and fees then? Go and have a lie down.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

The club has extended contracts, paid bonuses and increased wages.

They’ve spent close to 350k on transfer fees, and brought in 10 players.

SISU want us to stand on our own two feet... I like everyone else wants them to pump millions on but they’re not going to, and you can’t force them to.

The club spends what it can. Didn’t Robins say he had to keep some back for January? I’d imagine we’re still earmarking 400k for Chaplin

Captain Dart

The club has extended contracts, paid bonuses and increased wages.

They’ve spent close to 350k on transfer fees, and brought in 10 players.

SISU want us to stand on our own two feet... I like everyone else wants them to pump millions on but they’re not going to, and you can’t force them to.

The club spends what it can. Didn’t Robins say he had to keep some back for January? I’d imagine we’re still earmarking 400k for Chaplin

On the one hand I agree with not overspending excessively and storing up problems for someone else to deal with later, but I believe that way back when Derrick Robins & Jimmy Hill created the conditions for promotion and a long stay in the first division by investing in the playing squad.

Has anyone from the club said anything about this seasons objective for league position. I think we should be aiming for the playoffs, if not why not?

edgy

Mark Robins in June:

"We need to keep moving forward together. We don’t want to sit in League One, we want to be pushing for promotion again to the Championship."

If we challenge again this season, then folk will have to accept that SISU's new model of the last year or two is working.

Esoterica

I'll never understand why so many of our fans are always so keen to defend the lack of investment that goes into our playing squad in comparison to the money brought in. Just because we've had some good players come in on a free and some paid fees for some poor players doesn't negate the fact that you're much more likely to get a decent player if you're purchasing them from someone else as opposed to picking up scraps. The moment McNulty was sold we should have done what Reading have done to us and gone and bought Doidge or someone of that ilk. Someone with a proven track record of scoring goals, not multiple players with 'potential'. Signing players who might be good in a few years is fine, but you need to have some actual proven players in there as well to ensure that you're going to have a good chance at a positive season. Some of the players brought in by our League One rivals today put us to shame.
Colclough to Scunthorpe, Toney to Peterborough, Ricky Holmes to Oxford, Stefan Payne to Bristol Rovers and Ollie Norburn to Shrewsbury all great signings and either loans or within the price range we've been offering for Chaplin.
Lauding a Shrewsbury signing and saying it puts us to shame has got to be one of the most myopic statements I've read for a while.
Shrewsbury finished 3rd in L1 last year and then:
Lost their LB and defensive midfielder to a newly promoted rival and in return signed their 2nd choice left back for an undisclosed fee.
Sold their top scorer on deadline day to a rival in L1 and replaced him with a player from L2
Sold their main CB and their creative midfielder to Ipswich for 2 million combined and broke their transfer record to replace him with a 25 yr old who was playing non league last year.
Lost 4 of their top 5 goalscorers from last year, 31 out of 40 goals gone out the team.

Imagine if that was us....

Covcraig@bury

Firstly, I know we've brought in plenty of new faces over the summer and seem to have made some good signings. My issue is the lack of investment post the McNulty sale. Since then we've signed Hiwula for a reported £150k & Bakayoko for a reported £70k. That's approx. £220k of £1.2million. It's just a little disappointing considering they've had the Maddison money too. I didn't expect it all to be sent, and know some goes on signing on fees and wages, but thought there'd be enough not to have to replace the players we've sold with loans.
Looks like SHITSU have jumped on the NOPM band wagon !!!!!!! no surprise there then :-j

Users who are viewing this thread