Labour group votes to approve £19.5m Ricoh sale to Wasps (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

wingy

I've always had time for Nellist too. Used toknow a bloke who worked with him for many years and he aslways said he was a very genuine, solid bloke.

When I spoke to him in the Broadgate rally last year he revealed a big regret

His was the deciding vote regarding pushing ahead with the commitment to build and he wished fan representation on the board of CCFC had been a condition
Top bloke. Used to knock the doors for him back In the day canvassing and getting voters out on Election day

stupot07

Well on here, we've had a full range of corkers:

1. Wasps need a home
2. It's business
3. Yeah but, it's all SISUs fault
4. Good for the people of Coventry
5. What can ACL be expected to do
6. CRFC don't mind
7. Wasps fans don't seem to mind
8. They are a nomadic club anyway
9. It's best for our Civic Asset

10. Wasps have already played a few games at the Ricoh.....well once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

fernandopartridge

It's all ok though Ann Lucas, Geoffrey Robinson et al will all be voted back into power by the citizens of Coventry at every opportunity. What good have they ever actually done this crowd ?

If this goes through it will be damning of the council and their obligations to thousands of CCFC fans in the City and damning of the poisonous hedge fund who so weakened and ridiculed the club with their selfish shenanigans and their continued bullshit identikit stadium. We will have been stabbed in the back by all concerned !
Exactly. Labour have taken the piss out of this city for years.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Can only come to the same conclusion, that the deal includes the takeover of CCFC

Otherwise the whole thing doesn't make sense. Wasps losing thousands of their own supporters, local ones boycotting, CCFC buggering off elsewhere, leaving the Ricoh to finally become the white elephant people were saying it would turn out to be.

There has to be some sort of catch or something more to this deal, otherwise it's a disaster and pointless.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Council have shown their true colours, some will still defend them though.

Taking this deal at face value the council have no choice but to help the club build the new stadium within the city boundary.

stupot07

There has to be some sort of catch or something more to this deal, otherwise it's a disaster and pointless.

What would anyone gain from buying 2 loss making sports clubs? I think a ccfc takeover is wishful thinking, and 2+2=5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Hobo

Well on here, we've had a full range of corkers:

1. Wasps need a home
2. It's business
3. Yeah but, it's all SISUs fault
4. Good for the people of Coventry
5. What can ACL be expected to do
6. CRFC don't mind
7. Wasps fans don't seem to mind
8. They are a nomadic club anyway
9. It's best for our Civic Asset

The point is torchomatic you have taken some of those quotes out of context, you are trying to suggest they have been made in a way that supports the Wasps deal. Far from it, they have been made trying to look at the situation objectively or how certain parties may view the situation.

I have seen very very few posts that suggest people are supportive of the deal. Most people are left feeling where does this leave CCFC, along with a sense of if only?

torchomatic

I'm sorry, but there shouldn't be any objectivity. ACL are parachuting a team in 100 miles from their natural base, and 75 miles from their current one. Franchising in it's purest form. No different to what SISU and MK Dons were vilified for. In the case of CCFC it was only temporary. This is permanent.

And for the comments being taken out of context. Frankly, that's nonsense. They are excuses.

The point is torchomatic you have taken some of those quotes out of context, you are trying to suggest they have been made in a way that supports the Wasps deal. Far from it, they have been made trying to look at the situation objectively or how certain parties may view the situation.

I have seen very very few posts that suggest people are supportive of the deal. Most people are left feeling where does this leave CCFC, along with a sense of if only?

tisza

all we heard for years was that there was a fixed formula for the price of the Higgs shares and they were bound by that.

Monners

Having read through this and the Trust meeting thread - it still begs the question of: Why oh why didn't Sisu put an offer similar to this pre Sixfields? Hindsight perhaps, but similar level of investments are clearly available if we believe TF and JS. But, questions on this new stadium stuff is still being side stepped by TF "ground a near to Cov centre as possible..... ground may not be in the city etc..", and Joy's press release last week was all about moving on and having no interest in the Ricoh. Is this sustainable planning for the clubs future - I don't think so.

This doesn't detract from the appalling decision by CCC - Merely a money saving exercise to ditch ACL to whoever will pay. Disgrace.

Last edited:

Hobo

I'm sorry, but there shouldn't be any objectivity. ACL are parachuting a team in 100 miles from their natural base, and 75 miles from their current one. Franchising in it's purest form. No different to what SISU and MK Dons were vilified for. In the case of CCFC it was only temporary. This is permanent.

And for the comments being taken out of context. Frankly, that's nonsense. They are excuses.

again, looking at things objectively trying to see how the deal may or may not work, or how it has come about doesn't mean people support the deal or agree with Franchising. Who is offering excuses and for who?

Otis

Having read through this and the Trust meeting thread - it still begs the question of: Why oh why didn't Sisu put an offer similar to this pre Sixfields? Hindsight perahps, but similar level of investments are clearly available if we believe TF and JS. But, uuestions on this new stadium stuff is still being side stepped by TF "ground a near to Cov centre as possible..... ground may not be in the city etc..", and Joy's press release last week was all about moving on and having no interest in the Ricoh. Is this sustainable planning for the clubs future - I don't think so.

This doesn't detract from the appalling decision by CCC - Merely a money saving exercise to ditch ACL to whoever wil pay. Disgrace.
Feels like a disgrace all round at the moment. Be very interested to hear the full details and how CCC can defend their actions on this.

torchomatic

Objectivity isn't needed because it shouldn't be happening. Wasps should not be upping sticks and moving 75-100 miles from their fan base. Did you and others look at the move to Northampton "objectively" or did you think it was wrong? Did you think "Hold on, I will think carefully about this to see if the deal may or may not work"?

There are a hundred excuses in a hundred posts on why it was wrong for SISU to do what they did but OK for CCC to pull exactly the same stunt.

again, looking at things objectively trying to see how the deal may or may not work, or how it has come about doesn't mean people support the deal or agree with Franchising. Who is offering excuses and for who?

Monners

Feels like a disgrace all round at the moment. Be very interested to hear the full details and how CCC can defend their actions on this.
Yes, I am looking forward to that one also. WOuld be good to refresh some of the questoins from the Trust meeting last night to throw at them once the press statement is out.

Ashdown

Having read through this and the Trust meeting thread - it still begs the question of: Why oh why didn't Sisu put an offer similar to this pre Sixfields? Hindsight perhaps, but similar level of investments are clearly available if we believe TF and JS. But, questions on this new stadium stuff is still being side stepped by TF "ground a near to Cov centre as possible..... ground may not be in the city etc..", and Joy's press release last week was all about moving on and having no interest in the Ricoh. Is this sustainable planning for the clubs future - I don't think so.

This doesn't detract from the appalling decision by CCC - Merely a money saving exercise to ditch ACL to whoever will pay. Disgrace.

Purely because SISU banked on winning the JR and suing their way to a very cheap piece of real estate in CV6 ! I can't believe the councils traitorous stance on this but it's come about because Ray Ranson brought a bunch of profit seeking sharks to the club in 2007 who having fucked up all other ideas of progress reverted to the tried and trusted hedge fund way.........litigation !!

Monners

Purely because SISU banked on winning the JR and suing their way to a very cheap piece of real estate in CV6 ! I can't believe the councils traitorous stance on this but it's come about because Ray Ranson brought a bunch of profit seeking sharks to the club in 2007 who having fucked up all other ideas of progress reverted to the tried and trusted hedge fund way.........litigation !!

I have never believed the new stadium nonsense either!

Hobo

Objectivity isn't needed because it shouldn't be happening. Wasps should not be upping sticks and moving 75-100 miles from their fan base. Did you and others look at the move to Northampton "objectively" or did you think it was wrong? Did you think "Hold on, I will think carefully about this to see if the deal may or may not work"?

There are a hundred excuses in a hundred posts on why it was wrong for SISU to do what they did but OK for CCC to pull exactly the same stunt.

I disagreed with the move to Northampton, because Coventry should play in Coventry and I also didn't like SISU's business methods. However you obviously missed my posts where I said if they had gone about things differently they could have got the backing of the fans for a short term move if it moved the club forward.

The objectivity is relevant because Wasps have already moved from their fan base along with London Irish and London Welsh. Most of the Pro12 set up is regionalised teams....in fact the whole of Scottish RFU is geared to making Glasgow it's flagship team at the detriment of the other teams. So don't expect too many objections from the Rugby world around franchised teams it is already pretty common practice.

You and I and other Coventry fans will probably shout the most about this....but don't expect too much jumping up and down from others. Reading the Wasps forum, the fans aren't happy, but they also seem pretty resigned to it. Any battle will have to be made by Cov fans with our own council. But SISU aren't champing at the bit to do a deal either are they?

Ashdown

'Councillors will not be given a free vote, and will vote in line with their party'....................Taken from the Telegraph............. some democracy that is ! I hate modern Labour with a passion, they fucked up the country from 97-2010 and they're fast fucking up the City of Coventry !

Sky Blue Dal

'Councillors will not be given a free vote, and will vote in line with their party'....................Taken from the Telegraph............. some democracy that is ! I hate modern Labour with a passion, they fucked up the country from 97-2010 and they're fast fucking up the City of Coventry !

I can't disagree with that.

The main reasons why Coventry as a City have never progressed as fast as other major cities in the UK is because of decades control of council by the Labour Party. They have held this city back for years.

You only realise how crap the CCC is when you wonder out of the city and experience how other Cities work.

Though there are the odd thing they are good at but most are appalling.

Not happy with this democratic process the City council is running here.

Last edited:

torchomatic

So the choice is toe the party line or risk being chucked out for having principles? We're doomed.

Otis

Yay! Hooray for the Tories!

torchomatic

Hobo

There no different but probably do a better job.

Which way are the Tory councillors voting on this....I haven't seen any major headlines have you?

the Tories haven't got form for selling off assets have they?

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Breaking: Up to 10 Labour councilrs threatening to resign after Ann Lucas imposed 3-line whip on today's Ricoh Wasps deal, say sources

Breaking more: Sources say up to 14 Labour councilrs threatening to defy party whip & resign unless Lucas postpones today's Ricoh Wasps vote

Neutral Fan

Taking thousands to MK Dons was a strange way to protest about CCFC'S (temporary) franchise (though maybe not last one) and a strange way to show they disagree with franchising in general.

Covstu

I feel sick to the stomach reading this, we have been well and truly shat on by people who have been 'supporting' the fans over the last 12 months with the Northampton fiasco. The valuation was a lot lower than anyone expected and was not a million miles from SISU's bid a while back which clearly goes to show that this shit got very personal.

That pissed off, i wouldnt care if the club pulled out of the Ricoh and played elsewhere. I would attend those games in support of being screwed over by our own council. I may feel differently when i calm down but so fucking angry by this.

chiefdave

Blimey, away from the forum for a few hours and there's thousands of posts! To save me reading them all are we screwed or not or do we still not know whats going on?

Users who are viewing this thread