KP45 - more action now (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

All well and good, but as Palmer says, issuing statements has only taken us so far.
I think I'm trying to nudge, and maybe I'm being too polite about it, that there's a lot of self-satisfied 'we're alright' around here, and that really isn't confronting the issue either. That's hiding away as 'it's a Sheffield Wednesday problem' and allows us to ignore, well, things like this:

It's like people don't acknowledge we have exactly the same people in our fanbase and these types exist in every fanbase.

I've heard racist comments at Rotherham away when they hammered us in our promotion season.
A friend told me that the bloke behind him at Wembley called Panzo something really unpleasant after his error at the play off final.

These people walk among us unfortunately.

And on here, there are racial generalisations that can pass by, mostly unchallenged. I know you know this, and I also know you know that if you do challenge them, it can get vaguely unpleasant. There's too much hiding behind stock phrases such as 'playing the race card' or other gibberish, along with 'freedom of speech' or 'just an opinion you're trying to shut down'.

And ultimately, this is just a message board - easier to challenge somebody here than in person.

So I think what makes me uncomfortable is the lazy (not used as a racial stereotype) hiding behind tribalism, that can allow a false impression that we're above reproach.

Grendel

We had a game at West Brom in the late 70s. Albion had Regis, Cunningham and Batson playing for them at the time. Those players were subjected to Racist abuse from a large proportion of our ‘fans’ that night, including having bananas thrown at them.
If I am still around and following City then some of these characters will be too. Of those, some will have thought about their actions, realised how abhorrent they were and have changed. Some of them will see the world in exactly the same racist way but will have learnt to choose their moment in letting their views be seen and heard. They will also have had children who will have been influenced by their parents views. No doubt some of these attend our games too.
I don’t think the Wednesday fan base will be too different from our own. Unfortunately racism still exists in this country and I’m pretty certain it is as rife in Coventry as it is in Sheffield.

Yeah I was on a train in the 80’s going i think to Villa - a black mum and young son were sitting on it and a guy in a cov shirt said they were monkeys who should be in a zoo. I couldn’t even comprehend what I was listening to to be honest.

robbiethemole

Yep, a gnat can’t fart without something picking it from 10 miles away. If they really wanted to, they could. But that would infringe the civil liberties of the Gnat 😀
With technology nowadays there should be a much better way of reporting things at games.

I know every so often it will be "here's a number to text" but it would be so easy to have something where:

1. Fan can anonymously report racism, anti social behaviour at games. An app or something.
2. Goes direct to control room who can watch the CCTV on the spot
3. Radio to the closest response team and have them thrown out within a couple of minutes (or arrested).

Only issue is stuff like "this kid is kicking my chair" and the really petty crap and filtering it out.

If there's a bloke with his kids, he may not want to confront a group of blokes off their heads or pissed up.
Not much chance at the CBS, the Wi-Fi is crap

steve cooper

We had a game at West Brom in the late 70s. Albion had Regis, Cunningham and Batson playing for them at the time. Those players were subjected to Racist abuse from a large proportion of our ‘fans’ that night, including having bananas thrown at them.
If I am still around and following City then some of these characters will be too. Of those, some will have thought about their actions, realised how abhorrent they were and have changed. Some of them will see the world in exactly the same racist way but will have learnt to choose their moment in letting their views be seen and heard. They will also have had children who will have been influenced by their parents views. No doubt some of these attend our games too.
I don’t think the Wednesday fan base will be too different from our own. Unfortunately racism still exists in this country and I’m pretty certain it is as rife in Coventry as it is in Sheffield.
Does anyone remember Clyde Best? Played for West Ham. The poor guy was racially abused every time he touched the ball. And that was at our ground.

rob9872

Does anyone remember Clyde Best? Played for West Ham. The poor guy was racially abused every time he touched the ball. And that was at our ground.
It was wrong then and wrong now, but comparing 1970s culture with today is like refereeing a 1970s game with today's laws and you'd finish with 3 a side.

rob9872

Remember Paul Canoville at Chelsea ?
He was racially abused by is own fans
So was Clyde. First people he had to win over was his own fans and eventually became an icon.

steve cooper

It was wrong then and wrong now, but comparing 1970s culture with today is like refereeing a 1970s game with today's laws and you'd finish with 3 a side.
Yes attitudes and acceptabilities have changed, but it was no less painful for the recipients.

Covkid1968#

Glad the idiot has been caught and will have the book thrown at him, lose his job and hopefully the respect of everyone in his life. I can already hear the usual bullshit excuses racists come out with when they get called out. “I’m not racist I’ve got a mate who’s black, I’m not racist I work with lots of people who are black blah blah blah I’m not racist I’ve got a fecking black and white TV”

Feck off you racist prick!!

Bad Boy

Sadly my friend we still have plenty of people who think the perpetrator is not racist and it's ok to behave in the manner in which he/she did.
It seems anything is fair game to rip the shit out of in our society today, the attitude is one can say or do as they like simply because one can and there's little or no consequence.
There's plenty of examples of abuse on this forum.

Last edited:

Grendel

Ive been at a Newcastle game in their end at Newcastle in the early 80’s and seen their fans throw bananas at Tony Cunningham - their own player

At Headingly I was charmingly told Alvin Kalicheran was not bad for a N…… and as I supported them do I shag blackies

I was from the era and found it no less appalling then than I would now

skybluericoh

Didn’t Everton used to chant “Everton are white”?
Thankfully most of us have become better people way since those days. In the ‘70s / 80’s football support was full with hooliganism, not everybody, but even a lot of the more civilised fans ran with the crowd.
as a society we have improved in many ways, could argue got worse in others. But it is a sign of the times that this behaviour gets called out now for what it is, a minority is still to many.
I hope Kasey plays and the team support him otherwise the racist won, if he feels he can’t, still support his decision though.

slowpoke

I remember us playing West Brom in the early 80s when they had Regis, Cunningham & Brendon Batson and Cov fans were going in the ground with bunches of bananas and lobbing them at these guys and the old bill just watching, three years later big Cyrille was our hero.

rob9872

Kasey is right. Walk the walk. All this bollocks about changing FB profile pictures, songs, wearing a certain shirt. Take ownership of it and challenge it
Agree that most of that is tokenism and actions of course speak louder than words, but no reason we can't do both.

Bad Boy

I remember us playing West Brom in the early 80s when they had Regis, Cunningham & Brendon Batson and Cov fans were going in the ground with bunches of bananas and lobbing them at these guys and the old bill just watching, three years later big Cyrille was our hero.
And didn't we once have a manager who managed WBA and extolled the virtues of those very fine footballers Regis, Cunningham and Batson to all and sundry and was later booted off the tv for his 'off the mic' racist remarks!
Don't think he worked much after that.

Last edited:

Covkid1968#

And didn't we once have a manager who managed WBA and extolled the virtues of those very fine footballers Regis, Cunningham and Batson to all and sundry and was later booted off the tv for his 'off the mic' racist remarks!
That was such a bizarre situation. He let his mask slip for a split second and we saw what he really was and nobody much liked it!!

rob9872

That was awful. Not so much the mask slipping but as such a pioneer for bringing them through, they personally must've felt so let down and begin to question everything.

slowpoke

Finished him, shame as I thought he was okay on tv.
I witnessed that always reckon he was set-up.

slowpoke

If that’s the team massive thumbs up to Kasey Palmer could have ducked out, I hope he has his best game of the season.

wantageskyblue

Me too. I also remember around that time 3 or 4 people in the West End wearing Klan masks on a regular basis.

Users who are viewing this thread