KP45 - more action now (1 Viewer)

PVA

That one was made by a Forest fan?

Doesn't look like it was made in January?

The only records of it on the Internet seem to be from the last couple of weeks though

Not that it really matters who did it, it's a shit bag thing to do whoever it was

Spinach

Wednesdayite here in sympathy. Seriously raging at elements of our fanbase after last night. Zero excuse for it and seriously unimpressed.

The club is going to be getting an angry letter off me first thing next week telling them they need to do more about the single cell organisms that intersperse our fanbase. Oh I know, an angry letter isn’t going to change the world, but it’s all I can do really.

I don’t care how someone behaves on the pitch, this medieval behaviour doesn’t have any excuse.

I hope the second leg is attended by people who don’t sit in bed at night dreaming of Enoch Powell and that Palmer is getting the support he needs from your club.

I’m sending this with the best intentions possible.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Wednesdayite here in sympathy. Seriously raging at elements of our fanbase after last night. Zero excuse for it and seriously unimpressed.

The club is going to be getting an angry letter off me first thing next week telling them they need to do more about the single cell organisms that intersperse our fanbase. Oh I know, an angry letter isn’t going to change the world, but it’s all I can do really.

I don’t care how someone behaves on the pitch, this medieval behaviour doesn’t have any excuse.

I hope the second leg is attended by people who don’t sit in bed at night dreaming of Enoch Powell and that Palmer is getting the support he needs from your club.

Fair

Esoterica

So what is it KP was actually supposed to have done last week to incite a riot? I see a lot of their fans saying 'racism is bad but we were only booing him because of his behaviour last week'. And, of course, I saw him giving a bit back to the crowd during the game. So what did he actually do that has them so incensed that they felt booing a guy every time he touched the ball was the appropriate reaction, less than a week after he had monkey chants aimed at him?

shmmeee

And my point is it is still inciting hate and is wrong. It is no different if the target is because they are black or it's the fat white kid with glasses. It's the same mentality that does it.

I don't care who they are, where they are from, what team they support, what nationality they are, if they are identified they should be prosecuted and banned from attending football matches.

It’s a fine line between policing banter and even controlled aggression and “inciting hate”. I’m not a fan of “hate” as a legal descriptor, it’s anger fuzzy concept and I’m not sure we should’ve banning human emotions. Racist/sexist/homophobic abuse comes with a context that means it’s oppressive to large portions of humanity when seen in public and needs stamping down on. That’s fine. Then terrorism became a thing and it was saying “go bomb some people” and people did, and it started crossing into “don’t criticise UK policy” or “don’t joke about bombing airports on Twitter”, and that’s always the issue with speech laws: overreach.

“hate” isn’t a crime in the UK. You’re free to hate anything and everything. Committing a crime motivated by that hate is a different matter.

The helicopter, like the grenfell bonfire, like bad Hitler/9-11 Halloween costumes, for me falls under very bad taste humour. And importantly is about a historical event, not a person who is likely to see it and fear for their safety.

Monkey chants/gestures call upon a much darker and wider climate of fear for black people and are straight up racism.

I’m personally not sure where I stand on banning fans for behaviour away from the immediate matchday. Do we ban rapists? Murderers? Does it have to be in the context of football? Lots of questions I’m not confident on the answers of.

Last edited:

Hertsccfc

Well done mate. We mustn't forget there must be lots of Wednesday supporters who feel like you do.

Last edited:

usskyblue

“hate” isn’t a crime in the UK. You’re free to hate anything and everything. Committing a crime motivated by that hate is a different matter.

Hate communicated is a crime in the UK.

I’m not suggesting most Leicester fans were distressed… but the helicopter banner would distress relatives of the deceased.

Any communication which is threatening or abusive, and is intended to harass, alarm, or distress someone is forbidden. The penalties for hate speech include fines, imprisonment, or both. The Police and CPS have formulated a definition of hate crimes and hate incidents, with hate speech forming a subset of these.’

shmmeee

Hate communicated is a crime in the UK.

I’m not suggesting most Leicester fans were distressed… but the helicopter banner would distress relatives of the deceased.

Any communication which is threatening or abusive, and is intended to harass, alarm, or distress someone is forbidden. The penalties for hate speech include fines, imprisonment, or both. The Police and CPS have formulated a definition of hate crimes and hate incidents, with hate speech forming a subset of these.’

I think for me it’s not targeted enough to fall under that. If it was on his families home or in the ground where they’re likely to be that’s one thing. Would you make any reference to a tragedy illegal for the same reasons?

Tomh111

It is also a public order offence (covered in legislation) to explicitly prohibit tragedy chanting and the displaying of offensive banners.

You can't reference tragedy/harm/sensitive issues with the intent of causing distress.

I.e. Bradley Lowry, Helicopter crashing, Hillsborough etc

What I would say, is that Jimmy Hill chants from Sunderland should have been policed much more harshly and there should have been wider condemnation.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

shmmeee

It is also a public order offence (covered in legislation) to explicitly prohibit tragedy chanting and the displaying of offensive banners.

You can't reference tragedy/harm/sensitive issues with the intent of causing distress.

I.e. Bradley Lowry, Helicopter crashing, Hillsborough etc

What I would say, is that Jimmy Hill chants from Sunderland should have been policed much more harshly and there should have been wider condemnation.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Im sure it is. I’m not sure I agree with it. It’s a public order offence to make noise at a protest these days.

usskyblue

I think for me it’s not targeted enough to fall under that. If it was on his families home or in the ground where they’re likely to be that’s one thing. Would you make any reference to a tragedy illegal for the same reasons?

It was hung in a public place designed to be seen by a large amount of people, specifically traveling to the game. It was premeditated and designed to cause alarm/distress. Which would certainly be the case if was seen in person, or on social media by a relative of the people that died.

It was the definition of the law you just said didn’t exist.

Happy_Martian

Shows they have some/a lot of decent fans. Lovely video, and apologies if already posted

I'm sure there are a lot of Wednesdayites who are disgusted by these recent incidents and it's good that they have condemned the actions of their minority.

But like a lot of things nowadays, the loudest voice is social media and there are enough Wednesday fans on Twitter still arguing about their response to KP and the booing.

And now 'whataboutism' is taking over. Seen a number of posts referencing the problems we've had in the last season or two (the banners, Dabo's post-Playoff abuse and others) and commenting we're as bad. The fact we called out the culprits and the club rightly condemned those involved quickly isn't sinking in. And that we haven't attempted to deflect or defend those who committed the abuse is getting the same response as us talking to a brick wall.

It's seems their minority still haven't learned to accept their problem and shut up, and are just as eager to apportion blame elsewhere. And it's not helping the public image of them or their club.

Martin180

I'm sure there are a lot of Wednesdayites who are disgusted by these recent incidents and it's good that they have condemned the actions of their minority.

But like a lot of things nowadays, the loudest voice is social media and there are enough Wednesday fans on Twitter still arguing about their response to KP and the booing.

And now 'whataboutism' is taking over. Seen a number of posts referencing the problems we've had in the last season or two (the banners, Dabo's post-Playoff abuse and others) and commenting we're as bad. The fact we called out the culprits and the club rightly condemned those involved quickly isn't sinking in. And that we haven't attempted to deflect or defend those who committed the abuse is getting the same response as us talking to a brick wall.

It's seems their minority still haven't learned to accept their problem and shut up, and are just as eager to apportion blame elsewhere. And it's not helping the public image of them or their club.
Any comment that contains the word " but " isn't worth reading

Happy_Martian

Fair point but I was referring to the whole racism debate on twitter

Get what you mean. I was merely pointing out that the vocal minority on there had changed direction and were now starting to point fingers back at us.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

West Brom v Wolves stopped on 80 something minutes because of two separate incidents in the crowd - looks like Wolves fans sitting in the WBA end and celebrating their goal. It’s taken about ten minutes so far and police still haven’t been able to get it under control, players off pitch and a few ‘fans’ got onto the pitch running towards them…

It will be interesting to see how quickly the authorities deal with this compared to the KP incident

Nick

Administrator
Haven't looked at the other threads yet to know if it's mentioned but saw a video earlier of a young Sheffield Wednesday fan meeting Kasey Palmer and looking him in the eyes and talking to him.

The lad has done more and had more bollocks than any of us posting online about it or planning to wear a t shirt.

Should be put in a corporate box for the return game.

Sky Blue Pete

Haven't looked at the other threads yet to know if it's mentioned but saw a video earlier of a young Sheffield Wednesday fan meeting Kasey Palmer and looking him in the eyes and talking to him.

The lad has done more and had more bollocks than any of us posting online about it or planning to wear a t shirt.

Should be put in a corporate box for the return game.
And.the mum too I think
Was lovely and kaseys response

Grendel

Jimmy Hill called racist comments a “bit of fun” as well which I never see mentioned.

N-word no worse than saying someone had a big chin wasn’t it?

He also of course tried to get a tour of apartheid South Africa going to make money - for himself

stevefloyd

Name and shame the guy, ban for life from stadium, if hes working then workplace should fire him immediately, fine the club, deduct points from the club which will make him feel embarrassed and ashamed for he did with all his friends and family aware that he's the one who potentially caused the club to go down with points deduction and causing shame for his family.

Should be protocol for every each incident to deter idiots like him from doing it again.
Fucking morons like this never feel ashamed they wear it as a badge of honour

SBT

It’s now been one month since Palmer was racially abused at Hillsborough. There’s been one arrest. Am I missing something in terms of Sheffield Wednesday and the football authorities working to try and make sure this doesn’t happen again somewhere else? Or are we just going to carry on as usual?

hill83

It’s now been one month since Palmer was racially abused at Hillsborough. There’s been one arrest. Am I missing something in terms of Sheffield Wednesday and the football authorities working to try and make sure this doesn’t happen again somewhere else? Or are we just going to carry on as usual?

carry on as usual with a sizeable amount of people excusing it and even more cracking on behind closed doors and in a safe setting I reckon

I’ve been in and around at least 5 instances of racist abuse since the last post on this thread before yours.

Users who are viewing this thread