Transfer Rumour Kasey Palmer - Confirmed (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm hoping all along that the plan was to play Palmer and O'hare behind one striker, it's what we were screaming out for last season. Perhaps he isn't 100% suited to being that lone AMC.

Well if we succeeded in moving on Walker and Waghorn, sold Hamer as planned to avoid selling anyone else etc you can see there was some kind of plan. Really playing hardball over a fee for Hamer was the critical mistake

Adge

Id hoped he was a replacement for Allen, but sadly it seems he can’t get in ahead of him.
And the alarm bells should be ringing on that basis-especially as O’Hare has also been out of the picture aswell.

mark82

And the alarm bells should be ringing on that basis-especially as O’Hare has also been out of the picture aswell.

He's played well when he's been given a chance. Would love to know why he's not being given more time. Is it just fitness, or something else behind the scenes.

Grendel

He's played well when he's been given a chance. Would love to know why he's not being given more time. Is it just fitness, or something else behind the scenes.

Its pretty much his whole career - he spends most of it on the bench

Finham

I'm going to go with fitness, discipline and attitude which he maybe sees Allen as better for.

PVA

I'm going to go with fitness, discipline and attitude which he maybe sees Allen as better for.

For when we have one AM yes Allen does a lot of the things that Palmer wouldn't do on his own.

When O'Hare is back though I think they can form a decent partnership

Grendel

For when we have one AM yes Allen does a lot of the things that Palmer wouldn't do on his own.

When O'Hare is back though I think they can form a decent partnership

Doesn’t it concern you he’s only started 64 games in his whole career across several clubs?

PVA

Doesn’t it concern you he’s only started 64 games in his whole career across several clubs?

Not really as we don't play the box every game so he wouldn't be needed to start every game.

O’Hare is clearly first choice there and Palmer was signed to play alongside him some games and as backup for the others

Grendel

• Haha
Reactions: PVA

Dec-ccfc

Palmer looked tenacious when he came on and won the ball back more in those 10 minutes then Allen did in 80.
Allen is a bit of a headless chicken at times and he kills the attack when he is on the ball. Starting palmer and bring Allen off the bench for energy last 20 surely makes more sense.

steve cooper

Palmer looked tenacious when he came on and won the ball back more in those 10 minutes then Allen did in 80.
Allen is a bit of a headless chicken at times and he kills the attack when he is on the ball. Starting palmer and bring Allen off the bench for energy last 20 surely makes more sense.
This is what I can't understand about Palmer, from what we see, he hasn't really been given a chance. Maybe there are things we don't know about, but it fits in with what seems like MR's policy of sticking with his favourite players. He has been saying Palmer is not fit enough, maybe he hasn't got the work ethic MR wants, but if that's the case, the club should have known enough about him when the signed him, you would think.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

This is what I can't understand about Palmer, from what we see, he hasn't really been given a chance. Maybe there are things we don't know about, but it fits in with what seems like MR's policy of sticking with his favourite players. He has been saying Palmer is not fit enough, maybe he hasn't got the work ethic MR wants, but if that's the case, the club should have known enough about him when the signed him, you would think.

If fitness is an issue at this point that's pretty worrying and unlikely to improve if he only gets 10 or 20 minutes across 2 games. It is early on in the season still but at present it looks a pretty questionable signing, especially of his rumoured wages are anywhere near accurate.

SlowerThanPlatt

He averages about 10 starts a season in his career

PVA

As I said previously I'm not sure he has the tactical discipline and work rate to play that AM role on his own.

Robins clearly expects the player in that role to run and run, to press hard non stop. O'Hare does that brilliantly, Allen does it pretty well (just doesn't do the other stuff so well!)

That's not necessarily a criticism of Palmer, he's just not that type of player.

Which is why I think he was signed to play alongside O'Hare. COH can buzz around and do what he does so well, opening up space for Palmer to do what he does so well - pick a pass.

pusbccfc

Chances are, he'll be another in a long list of players Robins has thrown wages on who fails.

That's not necessarily because he can't be effective, more than Robins has his ways. He's looked better than Allen in recent weeks and has hardly chalked up more than a half of football.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

If fitness is an issue at this point that's pretty worrying and unlikely to improve if he only gets 10 or 20 minutes across 2 games. It is early on in the season still but at present it looks a pretty questionable signing, especially of his rumoured wages are anywhere near accurate.

I would say it was a questionable signing when it was first made. Despite a few on here having seem him play once or twice and deciding he was class, his career record is absolutely appalling and was largely ignored.

How anyone wasn't looking at that when he was given a three year contract on high wages, I don't know. It's a massive red flag for me on recruitment policy/efficiency.

SBAndy

As I said previously I'm not sure he has the tactical discipline and work rate to play that AM role on his own.

Robins clearly expects the player in that role to run and run, to press hard non stop. O'Hare does that brilliantly, Allen does it pretty well (just doesn't do the other stuff so well!)

That's not necessarily a criticism of Palmer, he's just not that type of player.

Which is why I think he was signed to play alongside O'Hare. COH can buzz around and do what he does so well, opening up space for Palmer to do what he does so well - pick a pass.

So play him alongside Allen?

Definitely think there’s a player in there. Been very impressed generally when he’s been on the pitch.

PVA

So play him alongside Allen?

Definitely think there’s a player in there. Been very impressed generally when he’s been on the pitch.

But then we have no AM cover on the bench and 4 strikers on the bench!

But yes I would like to see him alongside Allen at some point until O'Hare is back

steve cooper

He averages about 10 starts a season in his career
Yes, but he's played for 5 different clubs on loan, and Huddersfield twice. Loan signings are often signed as cover anyway. And why would Huddersfield take him back for a second loan spell? and why did Bristol City give him a permanent contract after having him on loan?
I agree there might be something there that managers don't like. None of it makes sense really.

stupot07

Yes, but he's played for 5 different clubs on loan, and Huddersfield twice. Loan signings are often signed as cover anyway. And why would Huddersfield take him back for a second loan spell? and why did Bristol City give him a permanent contract after having him on loan?
I agree there might be something there that managers don't like. None of it makes sense really.
Perhaps they thought he had something, that they could nurture and develop, and that doing that he would be a central cog for them. But it seems like it never happened and he's 26 in a 6 weeks and is still on the periphery of a first 11, and one that's bottom of the league and without the player he was brought into to compete with/replace.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

steve cooper

Perhaps they thought he had something, that they could nurture and develop, and that doing that he would be a central cog for them. But it seems like it never happened and he's 26 in a 6 weeks and is still on the periphery of a first 11, and one that's bottom of the league and without the player he was brought into to compete with/replace.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
It seems like he wasn't good enough for Chelsea, so they farmed him out on loan to Huddersfield (twice), Derby, Blackburn, and Bristol City, who decided he was worth a contract. He also played a number of times for young England teams including 6 games for under 21s. His development has obviously stalled since then, it's just a case of why, as he clearly has (or had) the talent.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I would say it was a questionable signing when it was first made. Despite a few on here having seem him play once or twice and deciding he was class, his career record is absolutely appalling and was largely ignored.

How anyone wasn't looking at that when he was given a three year contract on high wages, I don't know. It's a massive red flag for me on recruitment policy/efficiency.

At the time I thought it looked like a gamble that we were having to take due to finances, the early signs don't point towards it having worked out but there's loads of time to (hopefully) be proved wrong. We need to see more of him to figure out if he's ever going to fit the system we play, it concerns me that he doesn't look like getting that time on the pitch at present.

skyblu3sk

I still like what I see so far, I'd like him on the pitch more but trust we are bringing him in slowly rather than It being an issue around attitude etc.

CDK

4 games now for him to prove his worth,if he doesn't start everyone of these games as no hamer if the chance came I would be asking robins why did you sign him if not to play.

Grendel

Let's hope he stays fit, he's got so much ability and could be class alongside O'Hare in the box 👌🏻

Can’t see how only playing one up front is going to benefit us given Palmer and O hare have poor returns and Gyokeres main strength is running into channels

oldfiver

Well if we succeeded in moving on Walker and Waghorn, sold Hamer as planned to avoid selling anyone else etc you can see there was some kind of plan. Really playing hardball over a fee for Hamer was the critical mistake

Except they did not receive one confirmed offer?

Users who are viewing this thread