Joy Seppala at Warwick University (1 Viewer)

Skybluebeliever

More successful than Derrick Robins?
So you would put Derrick robins as our most successful owner , which I would agree with , who would be after him

John Poyton ?

where would Bryan Richardson be in relation to SISU

I’m also unsure if they were actual owners poyton and Richardson

NorthernWisdom

Talk is talk

was looking at mine and marks discussion with her in March 2020 earlier today
Since then

Covid
Promotion
Consolidation
10 year deal at arena in coventry
Plans for stadium a bit more than talk all be it not much more

It’s not bad is it?

What else you after?
What else am I after... other than the same old, same old nonsense about stadia you mean? The same old, same old holding us back deflecting from the job the team manager is doing, you mean?

Some people are easily pleased if they're happy with the stadium situation as it is!

Sky Blue Pete

What else am I after... other than the same old, same old nonsense about stadia you mean? The same old, same old holding us back deflecting from the job the team manager is doing, you mean?

Some people are easily pleased if they're happy with the stadium situation as it is!
I’m sorry!! I always assume that you can hear how I’m saying what I’m saying and you can’t.

The stadium and debt situation are the ones exercising my brain so I agree absolutely that they’re not sorted but last 18 months is not bad progress for me at least

Answers on the stadium would be

Db clear that the 10 years is reflective of how long progress will take at warwick

New stadium - We need some progress

Debt - Mr Fisher will tell you that there’s no expectation of paying it back but that’s not enough for me

sorry again

SkyBlueScottie

Ref the Slade appt, I don't think there were too many dissenting voices, we had tried bigger names, and we pretty much all said let's get someone in who knows the leagues, has had success etc on small budgets... Granted we were wrong, horribly horribly wrong.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Doing better than Fisher. Didn't he get a pint and / or chair chucked at him when he tried going for a drink with supporters?

That does ring a bell, though I can’t recall what game or the circumstance. I know he did go to the Wallace a couple of times after games when it had all the City shirts and merchandise up. No incident there though of note.

Fisher was seen as a villainous character who only appeared when it suited him and often made incendiary remarks. Happy for anyone to disagree (that’s the beauty of a forum) IMO With Boddy, the communication has massively improved and he has built a lot of bridges between the fans that had previously been burnt. He has helped to glue things together along with MR and all of the team.

I don’t know where to begin with Joy but at least she’s starting to appear and be present. 4 years ago I would not have imagined her appearing in a CCFC bar before a game. Let’s hope the current wave of positivity has reached Joy too and she’s prepared to support us more.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Again you are looking at the past rather than the present... We are now back in cov on the best rental deal we have ever had, the team on the pitch was funded by the owners (they didn't have to give robins the funds to buy hammer, sheaf, gyo etc but they did) so they are at the moment doing a good job

Don't get me wrong, they need to communicate better on the stadium stuff as it is starting to look like smoke and mirrors again until they give us something more concrete

But personally I think it was a lot bleaker when we were playing in league 2 without a pot to piss in rather than challenging in the top half of the championship but each to their own

I know we don't have the 2021 accounts but seriously show me how in cold finance where sisu have put in extra funds to buy all these players. It hasn't happened in the 5 years to 30/06/2020. In fact they took out more than they put in. I have detailed this several times previously.

My guess is with the timings of the transfers and there payment it has all been done through player trading, efl loan and improved cash flow by playing back in coventry. Finance is based on buying and selling players and improved incomes as a result of team performance in coventry.

Other than that no one yet knows if they have put a dime in to keep the club going let alone buy players. At present any assertion that they have are totally unfounded.

The biggest backing of MR has been the return to Coventry and by staying quiet. There is a reason why he has a ceiling on the player wage and trading budget.

They haven't changed or suddenly seen the light ...... it is and always has been about their investors first second and third.

The perceived improvement is reflection of staying quiet and the team performing really well.

Hope they stay quiet and let MR work his magic.

Last edited:

Hobo

Warwick University is a very very successful business.

Opportunities for Coventry City FC stadium or training facilities.

Joy Seppala heading a hedge fund, the wealthy looking for investments....

There is a whole host of reasons why she might find Warwick University attractive and it may or may not involve CCFC.

Hobo

Ref the Slade appt, I don't think there were too many dissenting voices, we had tried bigger names, and we pretty much all said let's get someone in who knows the leagues, has had success etc on small budgets... Granted we were wrong, horribly horribly wrong.

Speak for yourself I wanted him nowhere near the club. A disaster.

Gibbo

I know we don't have the 2021 accounts but seriously show me how in cold finance where sisu have put in extra funds to buy all these players. It hasn't happened in the 5 years to 30/06/2020. In fact they took out more than they put in. I have detailed this several times previously.

My guess is with the timings of the transfers and there payment it has all been done through player trading, efl loan and improved cash flow by playing back in coventry. Finance is based on buying and selling players and improved incomes as a result of team performance in coventry.

Other than that no one yet knows if they have put a dime in to keep the club going let alone buy players. At present any assertion that they have are totally unfounded.

The biggest backing of MR has been the return to Coventry and by staying quiet. There is a reason why he has a ceiling on the player wage and trading budget.

They haven't changed or suddenly seen the light ...... it is and always has been about their investors first second and third.

The perceived improvement is reflection of staying quiet and the team performing really well.

Isn't that how all clubs should be run. Within their means with a small return to the investors?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Isn't that how all clubs should be run. Within their means with a small return to the investors?

Have never said otherwise. But the premise made was that they had provided extra funds to back MR and buy players. No evidence of that

Sky Blue Pete

I don’t see how you can give zero credit

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I don’t see how you can give zero credit

Never actually said that, but my professional & business knowledge means i keep a healthy scepticism

I was being quite specific Pete about the fans perception that SISU had backed the manager with funds to purchase players. I don't see any evidence of it. Where they have fully backed him is in trusting MR & his team and saying get on with it, its passive not active. That is not a bad thing though and for now it is working.

I have given them credit for things in the past. Including their very clever plan around the administration which very nearly worked. However in terms of finance i like to see the evidence not simply credit them because the team is performing brilliantly

1)Do they manage the club finances well? it is hard to argue otherwise. That for me is the biggest tick positive. They make sure the club can pay its way from the means it has. They run it like any normal business not like the usual football plaything. If things get sticky they act as bank of last resort then take the money back at the first opportunity.

2)Have they put in extra funds for player purchases? Since MR became manager SISU have, according to the financials we have access to, put £2.135m in to the club but extracted in the same period £2.109m. No great financial backing of MR that i can see coming directly from the owners. Thats up to 30/06/2020 of course. No one yet knows what has happened in 14 months since. I don't see why they would change the way they operate, it would go against the first comment but we will see next February

3) Are SISU funding the club? Not really it is funded by day to day operations and Player sales income of £9.659m and paid out player purchases £2.267m to purchase new players during MR's time here. Are SISU buying and selling the players? The owners set MR a budget within which he operates buying and selling player he wants to, the owners trust his judgement and sign it off. Other than trusting and letting MR get on with the job what was this great backing that SISU have provided?

4) Did SISU agree the return to Coventry? Yes after Wasps approached them and yes it is apparently a better deal than St Andrews with lower rent and better F&B share. So good well done them but from a business perspective and the reluctance to fund further did they have any choice? The owners must have been aware of the ground problems at St Andrews, Crowds were not massive there. Had we stayed then attendances would have been what ? half of current levels? Couldn't be more than 12000 at St Andrews on the best day because of the BCFC ground problems. The return has added i would guess £100k income to each matchday or 2.3m over the year. Thats before the associated other commercial incomes brought by a return. No brainer really, We were in deep trouble if we didn't return and the budget would have had to be lower than it is now to survive - think what that would have meant on the pitch.

5) the business lives within its means. In a day to day sense i guess you can say that to some degree (ie the footballing function pays its way) and it is something positive. However the club since 30/06/2020 will have increased debt by two items at least. Firstly a short term loan of £3.2m from the EFL (the club has to finance the repayments over 3 years that means less funds in the budget for the playing side). Secondly it is unlikely that the loans from ARVO have decreased so there is a £2m interest charge being rolled up as a liability which is suffering compound interest so grows annually some at 15%. in the last year we have added £5m in debt, given the pandemic not sure i see there being profits or even breakeven after interest. Any loans from ARVO could have been put in to the club differently, less expensively, the owners for reasons of their investors best interest chose and continue to choose not to.

6) the club is self sufficient. Nope it still makes losses and debt is rising

7) We are going to build our own stadium. Well there are press releases, again, but where is the detail. Nothing tangible. It may happen and if it does then i will give them credit, so long as it does what it says on the can they keep putting out.

8) the really good uptake of season tickets pre season helped finance player dealing. What is it 11000? at £10 per match average thats £2.5m

Player trading is from within the budget set based on the operational income, not from the owners from everything we know so far

Look i actually dont have a problem with how they are running the club but people need to see it for what it is not gloss it up because the team on the pitch is out performing the sum of its parts, and the manager & his staff are achieving massively.

There is a massive feel good factor about the club. That is great to see, but it is driven by events on the pitch.

Ask yourselves if CCFC were in the position of Notts Forest and not performing would the fans reactions be the same as now? I am pretty certain that the way that SISU manage the finances would not change, it hasnt changed for last 5 years why would it change now

one final point on a different topic - over the years people have said how poor the Arena was in atmosphere. Was it the Arena because the matches this season have been cracking atmospheres

Last edited:

Northants Sky Blue

I can't buy Phil Upton's tweets about her falling in love with the club-She's successful precisely *because* she has no sentiment business-wise.

If that works for us then great but the current success on the pitch is 100% down to MR and the playing/coaching staff

CheeseLord

On the news earlier supporting the new ESports facility at Warwick University - a couple of representatives in CCFC gear on show. Wonder if that shows that the links with the University/ground have a little more credence ?

YES! You can actually re-watch the livestream of the opening here: ( I have skipped ahead to the part where Joy Seppalla speaks) The sound is a bit iffy but if you turn it up enough you should be able to make out the speech.

SlowerThanPlatt

YES! You can actually re-watch the livestream of the opening here: ( I have skipped ahead to the part where Joy Seppalla speaks) The sound is a bit iffy but if you turn it up enough you should be able to make out the speech.

Thanks for the link however it plays from the start?

djr8369

Starts at the start of the video for me. What’s the time stamp?

Users who are viewing this thread