Joy Seppala at Warwick University (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

I can't buy Phil Upton's tweets about her falling in love with the club-She's successful precisely *because* she has no sentiment business-wise.

If that works for us then great but the current success on the pitch is 100% down to MR and the playing/coaching staff
Why? Is Coventry unlovable? Does the city’s story not attract a response. I am no longer buying her investors come first second and third. I think it’s a crock of shit. They come first absolutely

AndreasB

Haven’t seen or heard a lot from Fisher recently. Don’t think I have seen him at the last couple of games (he might just be on holiday) and he hasn’t made any sort of public statement for ages.
Poor old Boddy last night had that hangdog expression like a man who had spent the last week ferrying her ladyship around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBAndy

Haven’t seen or heard a lot from Fisher recently. Don’t think I have seen him at the last couple of games (he might just be on holiday) and he hasn’t made any sort of public statement for ages.
Poor old Boddy last night had that hangdog expression like a man who had spent the last week ferrying her ladyship around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s his standard facial impression, to be fair.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

But I can entertain a world where she’s invested personally in the club
Depends how invested you’re talking, if you’re talking as invested the same as us I’d disagree. If she sells up tomorrow, I doubt she’ll the sitting in her house next year asking her husband to Stick sky sports news on to see how the city got on.

she’s invested in the fact that currently CCFC success = investor success

Sky Blue Pete

Depends how invested you’re talking, if you’re talking as invested the same as us I’d disagree. If she sells up tomorrow, I doubt she’ll the sitting in her house next year asking her husband to Stick sky sports news on to see how the city got on.

she’s invested in the fact that currently CCFC success = investor success
She’s a fabulous actress if that’s the case. Don’t get me wrong she’s not invested like you and me but she absolutely cares about the success of ccfc.

Last edited:

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

She’s a fabulous actress if that’s the case
We’ll see, I’ve always been willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I stop short of believing she genuinely cares about the club.

from a business POV I understand a lot of what they say, re: St. Andrews, and to an extent Northampton. But if she cared about the club - we would never have been put in a situation where the club and fanbase have been in an internal war with themselves.

usskyblue

Sorry to jizz on people’s Pop Tarts … but it appears that Robins feels comfortable with ownership. They seem to have open and honest dialogue. They offered him a path back after leaving and I think he appreciates the faith they showed in him.

If Robins feels comfortable he can concentrate on the teams performance. Coming back to Coventry, in front of our fans, has obviously amplified the passion and feeling of cause.

To say our success on the pitch has nothing to do with these factors is very shaky ground. Although, as stated previously by others, this is a business and placing the business in a good position makes it more viable to sell. Is it ideal? Probably not… but there aren’t many ideal situations in football anymore.

We’ve been through some fuckingshit over the years (some very much caused by SISU) but we’re on the up… and as long as we’re not cutting checks that make the bank bounce (BR and the Prem days)… I’m going to fucking enjoy it thankyouverymuch

duffer

In the old days club owners were in it for a bit of personal glory and sometimes because they held the team in genuine affection.

Now most owners are in it for 'sportwashing' or profit (or maybe even money laundering I often wonder).

I remain to be convinced that our owners are ultimately interested in anything except their own personal profit; even the well being of their investors is only a means to that end.

If it made them more money in the long term (or lost them less) I suspect they'd shut the club down in an instant (or move it a hundred miles away if they could get away with it).

Our owners aren't unique in that of course, but fundamentally I think the only reason we're still going is that SISU/ARVO can still milk a few quid from us and more importantly avoid crystallising a massive loss. I also remain to be convinced that they've suddenly got sky blue blood.

Just my opinion of course, I've been wrong before and more than once!

Sky Blue Pete

We’ll see, I’ve always been willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I stop short of believing she genuinely cares about the club.

from a business POV I understand a lot of what they say, re: St. Andrews, and to an extent Northampton. But if she cared about the club - we would never have been put in a situation where the club and fanbase have been in an internal war with themselves.
I think that’s fair, my only counter is that was then and this is now and as I say it’s not our kind of investment but genuinely to say she doesn’t give a shit or it comes fourth behind investors three times or shes only interested as it increases the money she can get out isn’t the case

SlowerThanPlatt

I think that’s fair, my only counter is that was then and this is now and as I say it’s not our kind of investment but genuinely to say she doesn’t give a shit or it comes fourth behind investors three times or shes only interested as it increases the money she can get out isn’t the case

Pete, I assume you’ve met the woman or had conversations with her, how far do you think her emotional investment in CCFC goes?

Northants Sky Blue

Why? Is Coventry unlovable? Does the city’s story not attract a response. I am no longer buying her investors come first second and third. I think it’s a crock of shit. They come first absolutely

It's not unloveable to me mate! :love:
I hope you're right that she has formed some attachment and this translates to a continued/settled situation off the pitch (y)

I just struggle, like most, to forget the pain of those points deductions/administration/being dragged out the city 🤷‍♂️

Sky Blue Pete

It's not unloveable to me mate! :love:
I hope you're right that she has formed some attachment and this translates to a continued/settled situation off the pitch (y)

I just struggle, like most, to forget the pain of those points deductions/administration/being dragged out the city 🤷‍♂️
Course I understand

clint van damme

I can't see how someone who loved the club would have stopped us coming back to Coventry last season.
Now it may have been part of a longer term strategy, ormaybe she knew the way things were going to pan out regarding the pandemic but I find it a strange decision.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I can't see how someone who loved the club would have stopped us coming back to Coventry last season.
Now it may have been part of a longer term strategy, ormaybe she knew the way things were going to pan out regarding the pandemic but I find it a strange decision.
To be fair given that there were no fans it made no difference to coming back last season, if anything it probably strengthened our cause

if there were no fans this season I’d hazard a guess we’d still be St. Andrews

Sky Blue Pete

Do you know what happened last season? Or who pulled the plug and as huckerby says no fans anyway

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Do you know what happened last season? Or who pulled the plug and as huckerby says no fans anyway

Once at Birmingham I suspect they couldn't come back because it would mean paying compensation to bcfc aswell as rent to wasps, with no income coming in then not a hard choice to stay there.

As to why ccfc went there and who pulled the plug in the negotiations then each side will tell you the "truth" they want you to hear. We will never know for certain what went on. Water under the bridge and was business decisions.

Does Seppala have a passion for the club or a passion for using the club to get the investors money back who knows. Those who meet her say the former, personally I don't know although it's hard not to believe the latter and i don't really care so long as MR is happy with the progress of the team

clint van damme

I don't know for sure just what I've heard.
But she's in charge of a hedge fund and a hard nosed business woman, that's her primary function and I've no problem with that, I just don't buy that she's fallen for the club and has its best interest at heart.

It makes for a good story line in Ted Lasso but this is the real world

PVA

A tender has appeared for Warwick Council for the following:

"A substantial development opportunity is available in Warwick District, for which Warwick District Council is seeking to appoint a developer; both in regard to the provision of a new community stadium and other commercial opportunities. The site holds a central location close to key local employers and a number of local schools, which will include two new schools (one primary and one alternative provision) being delivered by Warwickshire County Council and the Department for Education, at the north side of the site.

The scope of the contract is to appoint a development partner to deliver the construction of the community stadium, and additional appropriate development on the stadium site and associated development land and buildings"

Sky Blue Pete

"A substantial development opportunity is available in Warwick District, for which Warwick District Council is seeking to appoint a developer; both in regard to the provision of a new community stadium and other commercial opportunities. The site holds a central location close to key local employers and a number of local schools, which will include two new schools (one primary and one alternative provision) being delivered by Warwickshire County Council and the Department for Education, at the north side of the site.

The scope of the contract is to appoint a development partner to deliver the construction of the community stadium, and additional appropriate development on the stadium site and associated development land and buildings"
Interesting

Sky Blue Pete

I don't know for sure just what I've heard.
But she's in charge of a hedge fund and a hard nosed business woman, that's her primary function and I've no problem with that, I just don't buy that she's fallen for the club and has its best interest at heart.

It makes for a good story line in Ted Lasso but this is the real world
Fallen for I don’t know but as I say I don’t accept investors first second and third priorities any more. They do come first but she absolutely buys into coventry as a club more than just success makes more money. But what do I know of the mind of a hedge fund manager

chiefdave

Can't see that being anything to do with us. Unless they've somehow persuaded Warwick council to pay for it!

Last edited:

slowpoke

Fallen for I don’t know but as I say I don’t accept investors first second and third priorities any more. They do come first but she absolutely buys into coventry as a club more than just success makes more money. But what do I know of the mind of a hedge fund manager
So the question to her needs to be are you prepared to increase our budget currently the fourth lowest in the division to allowing more Mark Robins scope in the transfer market.

Sky Blue Pete

So the question to her needs to be are you prepared to increase our budget currently the fourth lowest in the division to allowing more Mark Robins scope in the transfer market.
This is where I struggle to understand

I’m proud we aim to be self sufficient but we aren’t
The debt and interest scares me but I’m told by one side it’s a millstone and we be called on and cause massive issues and another side that only when the club is sold will it be part of an offer of such and such in a pound

So the emotional connection or desire for success that we are talking about will not be proven by a change of attempted financial prudence as mine wouldn’t be by paying double for my season ticket next year (I would to watch this team though!)
So I suppose if that’s the proof we want then she has no interest beyond profit and making investors money if that’s not the proof then maybe it’s something else

shmmeee

Isn’t this the Leamington FC stadium they’ve been talking about by Europa Way? The resi development they’re building there has schools as well.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director

or put another way you want her to add more debt that we cant afford to repay and carries interest on the off chance that MR might get the team playing better than they are already. I should imagine her reply would be pretty short.

They haven't done what you suggest for the last 4 or 5 seasons, the team has been promoted twice, and currently sits in the top six playing great football. Its simply not how they operate the club financially, the aim is to make it self sufficient. So why expect them to change?

Users who are viewing this thread