Joy Seppala at Warwick University (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Again you are looking at the past rather than the present... We are now back in cov on the best rental deal we have ever had, the team on the pitch was funded by the owners (they didn't have to give robins the funds to buy hammer, sheaf, gyo etc but they did) so they are at the moment doing a good job

Personally I think it was a lot bleaker when we were playing in league 2 without a pot to piss in rather than challenging in the top half of the championship but each to their own

Just to correct you.

It was funded by the club (fans, player sales etc etc). IF money has gone in, it will be at a high interest rate rather than a charitable donation.

SlowerThanPlatt

Again you are looking at the past rather than the present... We are now back in cov on the best rental deal we have ever had, the team on the pitch was funded by the owners (they didn't have to give robins the funds to buy hammer, sheaf, gyo etc but they did) so they are at the moment doing a good job

Personally I think it was a lot bleaker when we were playing in league 2 without a pot to piss in rather than challenging in the top half of the championship but each to their own

Best way to judge is overall isn’t it? Would say the owners have done more harm for this club than good.

mr_monkey

Just to correct you.

It was funded by the club (fans, player sales etc etc). IF money has gone in, it will be at a high interest rate rather than a charitable donation.

Which is fair enough but couldn't they have pocketed more of the money (as they did in the past) rather than make it available for the team, that's the point I was (badly!) trying to make

mr_monkey

Best way to judge is overall isn’t it? Would say the owners have done more harm for this club than good.

Depends which side fits the narrative you want to portray I guess, optimism as things are seemingly getting better (of course with us there is always that sense of impending dread 🤣) or be stuck on the fact that they have been awful awful owners in the past and led us through our bleakest time as a club and not be willing or able to see past that, which I completely understand just trying to offer a different viewpoint :)

Travs

Without wanting to bring up the past (which seems an everyday occurrence on here)..... people got so entrenched in their views on SISU etc during the real bad period (ie Northampton era), that i think they find it very hard to make any kind of concession when things start to head in a different direction.

In my view, SISU as owners take massive responsibility for where we found ourselves 5-10 years ago (but i would also argue that we were destined for League 1 and possibly lower anyway... look at all of the other Premier League era clubs who have suffered the same fate)...... so they deserve at least some credit for where we find ourselves now.

NorthernWisdom

Depends which side fits the narrative you want to portray I guess, optimism as things are seemingly getting better (of course with us there is always that sense of impending dread 🤣) or be stuck on the fact that they have been awful awful owners in the past and led us through our bleakest time as a club and not be willing or able to see past that, which I completely understand just trying to offer a different viewpoint :)
I put our current success at the hands of the team manager, rather than the people behind him.

tbf, since Fisher(!) came in, the team side has been reasonably well-run - managerial choices were sane with a logic behind them, even if they didn't work out. As for the club as a whole however, we still haven't moved on. We're still (still!) talking about a new ground, we still get the stadium shuffle, and we're still in danger of being homeless relatively soon. The club hasn't really changed, the overseeing of the teams hasn't, but the first team manager is showing himself more than capable, which is masking the other issues.

In short, it's down to Seppala to demonstrate some kind of change. Talk is cheap.

mr_monkey

I put our current success at the hands of the team manager, rather than the people behind him.

tbf, since Fisher(!) came in, the team side has been reasonably well-run - managerial choices were sane with a logic behind them, even if they didn't work out. As for the club as a whole however, we still haven't moved on. We're still (still!) talking about a new ground, we still get the stadium shuffle, and we're still in danger of being homeless relatively soon. The club hasn't really changed, the overseeing of the teams hasn't, but the first team manager is showing himself more than capable, which is masking the other issues.

In short, it's down to Seppala to demonstrate some kind of change. Talk is cheap.

I agree 100% we need something substantial about the stadium soon otherwise it'll just go down as another smoke and mirrors exercise which will undo all the good will they have managed to get (from some) over the last few years

NorthernWisdom

I agree 100% we need something substantial about the stadium soon otherwise it'll just go down as another smoke and mirrors exercise which will undo all the good will they have managed to get (from some) over the last few years
It needs more than just vague promises too. A chat about a plan to be determined, or fleshed out, won't cut it.

Sick Boy

Wasn’t it Fisher who persuaded Robins to come back?

chiefdave

Realistically as an absolute minimum we need to be seeing detailed plans and for a planning application to be imminent. Even then I think most of us won't believe it until they start actually building something.

NorthernWisdom

Realistically as an absolute minimum we need to be seeing detailed plans and for a planning application to be imminent. Even then I think most of us won't believe it until they start actually building something.
Yep, given *I* could submit a planning application for a stadium in Exhall, I'll only believe it when they start building.

And probably not then until they've finished, in case it suddenly becomes a working man's club!

win9nut

I agree with most of what you say, however, I can't see any world where Russell Slade was a logical choice in Manager. Wrong Team, wrong time.
Mr Blobby would've been a better choice.

giphy.gif

just imagine that in the dressing room as half time :LOL:

NorthernWisdom

however, I can't see any world where Russell Slade was a logical choice in Manager.
He'd done well with Scarborough, Grimsby, well with Orient, alright at Cardiff really, alright with Yeovil. He had enough of a track record to suggest he could work with mad owners and unstable situations, and get the best out of the situation, and Charlton could be seen as a bit of a blip (and they had mad owners too, of course!)

As it turned out, he couldn't do anything whatsoever, and was pretty disastrous when going back to Grimsby.

But logically, based on where we were, he wasn't a particularly stupid choice before hindsight kicked in.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!

Grendel

Don't get me wrong, they need to communicate better on the stadium stuff as it is starting to look like smoke and mirrors again until they give us something more concrete

But personally I think it was a lot bleaker when we were playing in league 2 without a pot to piss in rather than challenging in the top half of the championship but each to their own

How do you know “it’s the best rental deal we’ve ever had”

Grendel

Which is fair enough but couldn't they have pocketed more of the money (as they did in the past) rather than make it available for the team, that's the point I was (badly!) trying to make

they’ve only started taking money out in the last 4 years

Grendel

Brighton Sky Blue

if we ever achieved the impossible of the premier league with only modest losses and debts, based on where we were when they bought us
At that point would SISU be deemed the most successful club owners ever (following on from the MR discussions)

More successful than Derrick Robins?

Legia Sky Blue

I agree with most of what you say, however, I can't see any world where Russell Slade was a logical choice in Manager. Wrong Team, wrong time.
Mr Blobby would've been a better choice.

giphy.gif

There were plenty on here who were happy with Slade's appointment.

SlowerThanPlatt

Why would we do that, its already been said spending millions does not work, CCFC and Robins have spent wisely and sensibly something which Mowbray was trying until it went pear shaped the following season,
I was responding to the poster who said we’ve spent a similar amount on the squad as it would to build a new ground

Sky Blue Pete

Talk is talk

was looking at mine and marks discussion with her in March 2020 earlier today
Since then

Covid
Promotion
Consolidation
10 year deal at arena in coventry
Plans for stadium a bit more than talk all be it not much more

It’s not bad is it?

What else you after?

Sky Blue Pete

Talk is talk

was looking at mine and marks discussion with her in March 2020 earlier today
Since then

Covid
Promotion
Consolidation
10 year deal at arena in coventry
Plans for stadium a bit more than talk all be it not much more

It’s not bad is it?

What else you after?
More to do of course and standing still is falling backwards but I was surprised

Users who are viewing this thread