Jones/Andreu (1 Viewer)

Magwitch

Their pre-season might dictate where Robins recruits if both are fighting fit can only be good, I know we have recruited JCH and I’m okay with that but a top striker to partner McNulty would be great

SkyBlueCRJ

I'm hugely sceptical whether Jones will be ready and raring to go once pre-season begins. Given that his surgery only occurred in December and the recovery period usually 6 to 9 months, I'm wondering whether it'd be too soon for him to come back. It'd be a nightmare if he suffered a reoccurrence which is common if an athlete returns to their sport too soon.

Andreu should be ready to go as he's had a full 9 months (not far off 10) for his rehabilitation. Although Robins may still ease him into pre-season as a precaution as he's not the youngest, so it may take some time for him to get back to 100% fitness.

Nick

Administrator
I don't think Jones will be thrown straight in. I can see him joining in with lighter pre season (maybe not the beasting up and down hills) and then get some cameos in the friendlies and then some u23 games to build it up.

Grendel

This is an old thread but I can’t be bothered to start a new one.

So he’s playing now. What does he bring to the team? Personally he’s been a disappointment. Even disregarding his fitness issues his set pieces (corners) have been lame.

SlowerThanPlatt

I said it last season that I didn’t understand why so many people were pinning their hopes up on him. He scored a lot in the Scottish second tier & some in the SPL but that standard is hard to compare to the English game.

He’s played less than 30 games in England. It seems to be a classic case of a player being out of the team/injured for a while and then becoming in some fans eyes much better than what they actually are

Think he will contribute this season but definitely not as good as some fans hoped

stevefloyd

He was never going to be a world beater being prepared to play in league 2, certainly had a poor game yesterday but maybe having chaplin up front ir may help and shine a different light on him but not too impressed so far, perhaps if he gets fit we may see a different player

rob9872

I think he has quality and would probably be better in a better team. Unfortunately our other players are not set up for the system that suits him best. He's a luxury type number 10 in my eyes that we can't carry. I like him but the rest of our squad at this level looks better as a straight 442 and he's not a winger and not a CM in my eyes. A shame but not the answer. The thought of JJ''s return on the other hand really excites me and I can't wait to see him back. Not a fan of Thomas so far either and want to see Jones on one side Allassani on the other.

Sky Blue Harry H

I think he has quality and would probably be better in a better team. Unfortunately our other players are not set up for the system that suits him best. He's a luxury type number 10 in my eyes that we can't carry. I like him but the rest of our squad at this level looks better as a straight 442 and he's not a winger and not a CM in my eyes. A shame but not the answer. The thought of JJ''s return on the other hand really excites me and I can't wait to see him back. Not a fan of Thomas so far either and want to see Jones on one side Allassani on the other.

Agree with most of this Rob, but although Thomas has been wasteful, he looks like he will create regular opportunities with his pace, and if he stays in the side all season I'd be surprised if he didn't hit double figures (brave shout, as he hasn't hit a barn door yet!)

robbiekeane

I really think Thomas will come good and frightens the shit out of defenders. End product not there yet but that’s why he’s on loan in l1

SBAndy

Agree with most of this Rob, but although Thomas has been wasteful, he looks like he will create regular opportunities with his pace, and if he stays in the side all season I'd be surprised if he didn't hit double figures (brave shout, as he hasn't hit a barn door yet!)

Charity bet time.....

Rasputin

Very surprised at your comments about Thomas. He is an exceptionally dangerous player in my opinion.

SlowerThanPlatt

Very surprised at your comments about Thomas. He is an exceptionally dangerous player in my opinion.

In what way? An attacking player can only be dangerous if they can score or create chances. Being able to beat a few players then not having an end product so far doesn’t make him dangerous to opposition managers

Rasputin

In what way? An attacking player can only be dangerous if they can score or create chances. Being able to beat a few players then not having an end product so far doesn’t make him dangerous to opposition managers

I think he is dangerous in that he can create those situations that he found himself in. Then because of his age and experience there is the possibility that he develops the knack of been a bit more calmer when it comes to the finish.
Unfortunately if he already had that calmness Lampard would not have let him come.
The best thing that could happen to us is he develops the ability to put away 1 in 3 with us. Or the likes of Chaplin build up an understanding with him and they benefit from his directness.

rob9872

Possibly will come good but will we get the benefit? I appreciate he needs to learn hence in L1, but we don't want to be guinea pigs for others to yield the profit from. If we only have raw talent and can't harness it quickly enough to reap the rewards then I'd rather persevere with our own players. At the moment he's more Ryan Kent than Jacob Murphy to me. Both will be good and despite some of the boo boys getting at JM he clearly was ahead in development and had greater end product.

SkyBlueCRJ

I think Andreu will come good but Robins needs to find a way of utilising him without compromising the rest of the team. As many have touched on he's a luxury player, not an irreplaceable one. Whilst few have played particularly well in the first 6 games he's looked especially off the mark. Arguably this is probably down to being a tad rusty after nearly a year on the sidelines but that excuse can only be used for so long before some question whether he's past it. A perfectly viable opinion considering he suffered a severe injury at his age - there are plenty of similar cases that have never bounced back. Regardless, Robins needs to realise that formations that are reliant on an attacking midfielder clearly aren't working. IMO if he really wanted to make that work he needed an out and out number 9 who's happiest playing on his own and another engine to go alongside Ogogo. But he hasn't bought well and has tried to do too much in this window. After all there is such a thing as being over ambitious and MR has been just that. The high turnover of players is something that I think is another issue but that's another argument for another thread.

robbiekeane

Not necessarily.

If they stick two players on him that leaves more space for chaplin/others to work with. Kent was really good for us just because he dragged other players out of position. Everyone was so focused on the fact he didn't score for fun though that we didn't realise that until he left.

Bertola

Not necessarily.

If they stick two players on him that leaves more space for chaplin/others to work with. Kent was really good for us just because he dragged other players out of position. Everyone was so focused on the fact he didn't score for fun though that we didn't realise that until he left.

Totally agree. Grimmer got all of his success in the first half on Saturday because Thomas was making runs and dragging people away from where they should be, opening up acres of room for Grimmer to run into

Grendel

This is an old thread but I can’t be bothered to start a new one.

So he’s playing now. What does he bring to the team? Personally he’s been a disappointment. Even disregarding his fitness issues his set pieces (corners) have been lame.

Andreu looks a liability to me. What dies he actually contribute?

clint van damme

Andreu looks a liability to me. What dies he actually contribute?

I think there's a player in there but -
A - he clearly isn't fit
B - we kept getting him on the ball in the wrong areas
C - JCH isn't the time of player he should be playing behind. That pairing did neither of them any favours

Nick

Administrator
Andreu clearly has fitness issues. He's been in training since before just season and a full pre season

SlowerThanPlatt

All that hype aswell around him, how once he was back into the team we’d be a totally different prospect. You’d think we had League One’s answer to David Silva returning when we had only seen him for a dozen games

stupot07

Hopefully we will offload Andreu in January, you can see why he struggled to establish himself since leaving Scotland. Has ability but is too much of a luxury player, he isn't really a proper number 10, he isn't really a winger, and isn't really a center mid.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

better days

People have to understand how hard it is to come back from serious injury and get match fit
U23 games are better than nothing but not by much
It's the resilience that's hardest to regain
Look at Jones
He's come on twice and livened things up but ran out of steam within minutes and was struggling to get up and down
It will come but the only way is by doing the hard yards

speedie87

Not buying the Andreu isn’t fit stuff he is fit he’s just dog slow and not an athlete bit like Juan mata

fernandopartridge

All that hype aswell around him, how once he was back into the team we’d be a totally different prospect. You’d think we had League One’s answer to David Silva returning when we had only seen him for a dozen games
Oh bore off.
You're the first to throw the toys out if somebody criticises a young player but you're straight on it with a player who has had a year out for whom a clear role in the team isn't defined. Likewise your Robins out drivel last night. Grow up

ceetee

The only memory I have of seeing him play before his injury was in a Checkatrade game. He was fairly anonymous until Doyle was taken off. He dropped back a bit and looked a different player. On that limited evidence he needs to play deeper and not just behind the striker,
I can't see how to achieve that

fernandopartridge

The only memory I have of seeing him play before his injury was in a Checkatrade game. He was fairly anonymous until Doyle was taken off. He dropped back a bit and looked a different player. On that limited evidence he needs to play deeper and not just behind the striker,
I can't see how to achieve that

You've answered how to achieve a lot with your post. Drop Doyle.

SlowerThanPlatt

Oh bore off.
You're the first to throw the toys out if somebody criticises a young player but you're straight on it with a player who has had a year out for whom a clear role in the team isn't defined. Likewise your Robins out drivel last night. Grow up

It’s not criticism. I’m saying some of our fans pinned all our hopes on him despite only seeing him play for a few games, not a criticism of his more of how a player becomes better the longer he’s out of the side

The post about Robins wasn’t serious it was about the posters who are only seen when we lose

fernandopartridge

It’s not criticism. I’m saying some of our fans pinned all our hopes on him despite only seeing him play for a few games, not a criticism of his more of how a player becomes better the longer he’s out of the side

The post about Robins wasn’t serious it was about the posters who are only seen when we lose
Fair enough. Tommy Widdrington told me about what a player he'd be tbf, I tend to believe there's more to come and as a 30 year old his recovery is slower. Let's hope so anyway

Ashdown

I think there's a player in there but -
A - he clearly isn't fit
B - we kept getting him on the ball in the wrong areas
C - JCH isn't the time of player he should be playing behind. That pairing did neither of them any favours
On the ball in the wrong areas ?! He's either a player or he isn't !

Users who are viewing this thread