Jodi Jones - 100k? (1 Viewer)

steve82

Mowbray oversaw the planning and recruitment for the season, no chance you can say he has no blame.

Difference is with Slade, nobody is on here blowing smoke up his arse.

the messiah?.....

i didnt say no blame, but majority goes to slade

no where near enuff blame for people to forget his 8th place finish being the best in TEN YEARS which is a DECADE

Was staying clear till the messiah came up, ha ha. Slade has his portion of blame from me for our relegation along with MV, but TM set the stall out in a fateful summer. The rest snowballed our demise.
Without going over old ground again to summarise this was what he signed on contract for CCFC obviously not including loans, I'd take the page....
Unfortunately not many were a success.

Don't think I've missed anyone.

16/17
Kyle Reid free
Marvin Sordell free
Jordan Turnbull undisclosed
Jodi jones undisclosed
Kwame Thomas free
Gael Bigirimana free

15/16
Lateef Elford-Alliu Free
Marc Antone-Forune free
Andy Rose free
Ruben Lameries free
Joe Cole free
Romain Vincelot undisclosed
Sam Ricketts free
Vladimir Gadzez free
Steven Hunt free
Peter Ramage free
Darius Henderson free
Martin Lorentzson free

Grendel

so? 10 games of a relegation season(where he lost 4 of them) is not enoguh to tarnish 8th place season before. relegation was down to venus and slade.

earlsdon is a perfect example,wants us to whip mowbray and blackburn but no comment on saturday vs slades grimsby

From November 2015 Mowbray showed relegation form as a manager and still is

Esoterica

so focus on pre season. dont say stuff like 8th is bad

that goes for everyone not just you
8th was awful, with the context it happened in. Mowbray gets the criticism from me because he came with a 'big' reputation, insisted on total control over the playing side and then proceeded to oversee our greatest freefall for over a DECADE - 1st to 13th in 4 miserable months. Instead of then learning from those mistakes proceeded to try and repeat the trick and put the foundations in place for our relegation season before slinking off after 10 winless games with us bottom of the league. A 21.9% league win rate in 2016 - thanks Tone.

Nick

Administrator
8th was awful, with the context it happened in. Mowbray gets the criticism from me because he came with a 'big' reputation, insisted on total control over the playing side and then proceeded to oversee our greatest freefall for over a DECADE - 1st to 13th in 4 miserable months. Instead of then learning from those mistakes proceeded to try and repeat the trick and put the foundations in place for our relegation season before slinking off after 10 winless games with us bottom of the league. A 21.9% league win rate in 2016 - thanks Tone.

That's the thing, let's say Robins came in instead of Slade in the position we were in and got us to 8th. That would be much more impressive than being in the top 3 or 4 and then falling down.

The falling didn't stop, he recruited and we then continued to fall.

Irish Sky Blue

I'm right then. Thanks.

It was only really Stokes who was a big miss but Haynes was still at the club.

We had Jack Stephens on loan, the same lad who is playing regularly for a decent Southampton side now. Maddison wasn't even starting games towards the end of the season.
Stephens and Cargill were both signed together more or less as we had been hit badly by injuries to centre halves, both good players and both signed by Mowbray. Maddison was certainly off the boil in the second half of the season after he had been sold to Norwich. Not the same player, who was very influential at the start of the season and was then injured. If you look at the team's record when Reda Johnson played as opposed to when he was injured, you will see he was much more influential to the team he was than Stokes, good player though Stokes is. Mowbray says the team was disrupted by injuries, if you look at the facts it is hard to argue with that assessment.

Nick

Administrator
Indeed, I dont think he has won 10 games since we went top...

From the 21st November when we beat Gillingham he won:

8 with us that season (November to April in 28 games)
0 the following season (August to Sept in 10 games)
5 for Blackburn last season in 15 games

13 wins out of 53 games.

hill83

Yeah but 8th

Nick

Administrator
Stephens and Cargill were both signed together more or less as we had been hit badly by injuries to centre halves, both good players and both signed by Mowbray. Maddison was certainly off the boil in the second half of the season after he had been sold to Norwich. Not the same player, who was very influential at the start of the season and was then injured. If you look at the team's record when Reda Johnson played as opposed to when he was injured, you will see he was much more influential to the team he was than Stokes, good player though Stokes is. Mowbray says the team was disrupted by injuries, if you look at the facts it is hard to argue with that assessment.

Yes, the same Reda Johnson every man and his dog knew was very injury prone and wouldn't make it through a season.

It boils down to having no plan B again.

Esoterica

Yeah but 8th
I'll never forget where i was on 8th May 2016 when we hammered the mighty Oldham Athletic 0-2 to clinch 8th spot on goal difference from Gillingham and Rochdale.... Down the pub having a good time with my mates because the season had been over for a month already. Thanks Tone!

Irish Sky Blue

Yes, the same Reda Johnson every man and his dog knew was very injury prone and wouldn't make it through a season.

It boils down to having no plan B again.
He inherited Reda Johnson. At the end of his first season here I think Johnson played in all of, certainly most of Mowbray's games in charge as TM turned things around and saved the club from relegation. He wasn't in and out of the team. Reda then played in all of the games at the start of the next season until he got the injury that ended his Coventry career. With Johnson, the team's record was excellent. Based on what he had seen of him should Mowbray have not played him? As we are a cash strapped club, could he have had a player as good as Johnson waiting in the wings for him to be injured again? Turner was brought in fairly quickly after Johnson went down, a fairly good plan B I would have thought. That season Mowbray brought in 4 centre halfs, Turner, Cargill, Stevens and Ramage. Three good signings and one that failed. He was by the end of the season on plan E with regard to centre halves.

Irish Sky Blue

I'll never forget where i was on 8th May 2016 when we hammered the mighty Oldham Athletic 0-2 to clinch 8th spot on goal difference from Gillingham and Rochdale.... Down the pub having a good time with my mates because the season had been over for a month already. Thanks Tone!
I was at that game. As with most of the season, we played well and deserved the win.

Nick

Administrator
He inherited Reda Johnson. At the end of his first season here I think Johnson played in all of, certainly most of Mowbray's games in charge as TM turned things around and saved the club from relegation. He wasn't in and out of the team. Reda then played in all of the games at the start of the next season until he got the injury that ended his Coventry career. With Johnson, the team's record was excellent. Based on what he had seen of him should Mowbray have not played him? As we are a cash strapped club, could he have had a player as good as Johnson waiting in the wings for him to be injured again? Turner was brought in fairly quickly after Johnson went down, a fairly good plan B I would have thought. That season Mowbray brought in 4 centre halfs, Turner, Cargill, Stevens and Ramage. Three good signings and one that failed. He was by the end of the season on plan E with regard to centre halves.

It doesn't matter if he inherited him or not, if every fan knows he is injury prone and won't last the season then you would think the manager would plan for it.

Liquid Gold

giphy.gif

covcity4life

even with context 8th is our best season in ages

yes its a shame we fell from playoffs. yes if robins had kept us up last year that would be more of an achievement considering where slade left the team.

i take context into account. that league 1 season was the best season n 10 years just like checkatrade final(mowbrays signings instrumental in both goals) was our finest moment in 30 odd years.

Nick

Administrator
So he should have had a player waiting in the wings? Ben Turner arriving not an adequate replacement?

So he has an injury prone centre half who will never make it through a season and everybody knows it, to then have a replacement of another injury prone centre half in Turner?

If you have a player you know full well won't make it through the season then you plan for it, whether that's replacements or a different gameplan for when that player is out.

fernandopartridge

Johnson did play in the first 12 games of 2015/16, correct, though I don't agree that him not playing was much to do with our downturn in form. He got injured on 17th October before our 4 match winning run that took us to the top of the table.

Johnson did not play that much under Mowbray the season before because he was crocked. Mowbray knew he was made of glass in the summer of 2015 yet failed to sign anybody else.

JulianDarbyFTW

At the start of the season we finished 8th, I'm pretty sure most of us would have been happy with that - after all, we avoided relegation by an inch. Was the falling away disappointing? Of course. Was the first half of the season the best we've seen in years? Yes. Ultimately Mowbray failed, but that only means he did the same as almost every other manager we have had. It is seen as worse because we got our hopes up and had them dashed. Overall, in my list of useless managers since we went down from the Premiership, he barely warrants a mention.

steve82

Johnson did play in the first 12 games of 2015/16, correct, though I don't agree that him not playing was much to do with our downturn in form. He got injured on 17th October before our 4 match winning run that took us to the top of the table.

Johnson did not play that much under Mowbray the season before because he was crocked. Mowbray knew he was made of glass in the summer of 2015 yet failed to sign anybody else.

While chasing another crock Kelvin Wilson...

covcity4life

Really? Ha ha.

Said it before and I'll say it one last time.
The summer is when a cash strapped club signs players.

Any other time your picking up others cast offs.

cash strapped club full stop. tm saw issues club had like loans and not long term contracts etc, he couldnt make the change quick enough, maybe some of its down to him,maybe some to owners.sisu have changed things up for robins. and thats a great thing

p.s dont worry this is retro for tony mowbray day, new era normal service resumed tomorrow

Nick

Administrator
cash strapped club full stop. tm saw issues club had like loans and not long term contracts etc, he couldnt make the change quick enough, maybe some of its down to him,maybe some to owners.sisu have changed things up for robins. and thats a great thing

p.s dont worry this is retro for tony mowbray day, new era normal service resumed tomorrow

Again, offering long term contracts to players from the leagues above will be more tricky to proven players from the league you are in.

covcity4life

Again, offering long term contracts to players from the leagues above will be more tricky to proven players from the league you are in.
agree

he aimed high,it didnt work,he was NOT perfect.

i will say this one more time, he made mistakes, he messed up near end but he DID give us our best season in 10 years and signings like jones,lameries,turnbull,bigi,reid did help us win our first silverware in 30 years. he is a manager to remember more fondly than majority of others we had.

the end.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

so? 10 games of a relegation season(where he lost 4 of them) is not enoguh to tarnish 8th place season before. relegation was down to venus and slade.

earlsdon is a perfect example,wants us to whip mowbray and blackburn but no comment on saturday vs slades grimsby
Mowbray oversaw the planning and recruitment for the season, no chance you can say he has no blame.

Difference is with Slade, nobody is on here blowing smoke up his arse. It's the same as why council discussions go on and on and SISU ones dont.

"Slade is shit" - Everybody nods and agrees, not much more to add
"Mowbray is shit" - Different story

Nick has pretty much done my response for me.

You are making things up in your head and rightly getting a pasting on here. No one has ever said Slade was good, or really defended him. People merely point out that Mowbray is not blameless like some people make out, or as good as other people think.

As I said on another thread, I hope we smash Grimsby too. Slade is a clown, but with Mowbray it feels a bit more personal, I feel like he fucked up a promotion season drastically, and then did most of the work to get us relegated, whilst other fans such as yourself defended him and blamed it on everything and anyone else. He walked away and was a coward, and I for one hope he leaves the Ricoh tonight with a few things to think about.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread