Jay DaSilva Signs! (1 Viewer)

Finham

For the record, im happy we're getting players in asap, no messing about its good to see us moving quickly after such a painful weekend. But is this such a great move on a 4 year contract? Unless im mistaken, this lad sat on the bench of a team that finished 9 or so places below us in the same league. In Robins i trust of course, so maybe he fits in with the plan and play style and gives us more going forward, just wanted to give my glass half empty thoughts, but of course i hope he's a success.
29 starts and 5 sub, so "sat on bench" slightly harsh, but otherwise I agree-is he better than Bidwell? Current evidence suggests not.

RingoCCFC

For the record, im happy we're getting players in asap, no messing about its good to see us moving quickly after such a painful weekend. But is this such a great move on a 4 year contract? Unless im mistaken, this lad sat on the bench of a team that finished 9 or so places below us in the same league. In Robins i trust of course, so maybe he fits in with the plan and play style and gives us more going forward, just wanted to give my glass half empty thoughts, but of course i hope he's a success.
I was talking with my old man about this today but they clearly see things we don't, many doubted Gyokeres coming back etc and the first time around the same with Sheaf and now they're our best players. Statistically every year we've improved so I'm praying that stays much the same and we keep growing from here.

I'm still a little worried truth be told but I'm sure we'll see what Kings all about but I truly believe part of MR's deal was that he'd be given more leg room to bring in the talent he wants, I mean think about what we've done with the budget limitations we've had and where we are it's truly amazing.

Finham

He's very good defensively.

He suits the current style of play where we're very solid and rely on Gyokeres doing his thing on the counter.

But if we're going to change how we play when Gyokeres leaves it's possible we will need more expansive wing backs.

That's where Dasilva comes in
That's the other thing, everyone's desperate to "change the way we play"-it's been going alright hasn't it, what 1 defeat in 19, came 5th?

Gibbo

Played there when required before

Robins has alluded to the fact that he needs a squad where all positions are covered by experienced pros and less loans

the loans also have to be better - when you think boro had archer and we had Maguire - can’t happen anymore
What??? McNally Doyle BNC were all very good or good. Panzo and JWE ok. What's your problem? It was the introduction of the loans into the team in Jan that kick started the second half of the season

Briles

Waiting for the first interview with that brummie interviewer.

"Jay welcome to coventry city how does it feel to finally get it all done"

Same question...everytime

Finham

I don't think anyone is desperate to, but losing Gyokeres makes it fairly likely that we will have to.
I'd at least be trying to sign forwards with the same raw attributes as him. How we play has been very successful.

Briles

"Yeah it feels good. It happened really quickly but as soon as I heard of the interest I couldn't wait to get it done"

"You say you heard of the interest, I bet you couldn't wait to get it done quickly"?

David O'Day

What??? McNally Doyle BNC were all very good or good. Panzo and JWE ok. What's your problem? It was the introduction of the loans into the team in Jan that kick started the second half of the season
He decided this year he was going to bang on about how JWE and BNC were rubbish no matter what the evidence actually showed. It's his thing, he picks a player tells everyone they are shite even if they are not.

I guess everyone needs a hobby.

South Of The River

With the ball at his feet, he’s probably one of the best full backs in the league.

Just don’t expect him to bomb forward like a Cyrus Christie type. That’s not his game.

Spot on.

He’s so good around the half way line and moving the ball. But he’s not your type of full back/ wing back to beat his man and get to the byline.

He’s very good at retaining possession because he’s so good with his feet.

fernandopartridge

It's almost as if there is more to analysing players than goals and assists.

To be fair you thought JWE wasn't more attacking than Bidwell so I'm not surprised you think Dasilva isn't either.
It's funny though because despite Robins wanting "a more attacking wing back" he didn't get a game when it started to matter, it's almost as if your theory is complete nonsense.

Perhaps he wants a player more comfortable on the ball, not necessarily more attacking in the true sense of the term.

Mucca Mad Boys

With the ball at his feet, he’s probably one of the best full backs in the league.

Just don’t expect him to bomb forward like a Cyrus Christie type. That’s not his game.

Looks for a cross or pass rather than take a man on. He’s not very quick (obvious being 5”5). Not big on defensive duels either - but he does seem to win them.

View attachment 30056

Statistically, he seems like a v good acquisition and it's even nicer we've signed him from Bristol rather than them letting him go. A WB who's good on the ball and another to bomb forward like a winger sounds like the perfect blend for our system so I'm looking forward to seeing who we sign at RWB.

It is interesting to see that the Stevenage RWB strengths are described as "athleticism, pace, power and technique". Likewise, what is Wes Harding like?

Fevs BCFC82

Statistically, he seems like a v good acquisition and it's even nicer we've signed him from Bristol rather than them letting him go. A WB who's good on the ball and another to bomb forward like a winger sounds like the perfect blend for our system so I'm looking forward to seeing who we sign at RWB.

It is interesting to see that the Stevenage RWB strengths are described as "athleticism, pace, power and technique". Likewise, what is Wes Harding like?
Bristol City fan here.

First of all, we have let him go. He’s out of contract this summer. We did offer him a contract around Xmas, but we were asking him to take a sizeable paycut (we signed him in boomtime). He turned it down, so we tried to move him on in January, hence a deal almost went through with you back then.

I don’t believe we offered him anything more than the original offer, and with Cam Pring our no1 LB, Jay is an expensive “back-up”. Hence we are letting him go.

His attitude has been spot on though, he’s a likeable chap, and seems a good one to have around the training ground.

He‘s not a bomber though, he’s v.good technically and I always think he’s better going forward from LB than LWB. His end product has been the biggest disappointment for us. I think he’s sound defensively in the main, uses his body well, puts his opponent off aerially rather than needing to win it.

Best of luck to him. Undoubtedly interest from other clubs (Swansea for sure), and I suspect the 4 years was a big factor.

shmmeee

Also we didn’t loan Maguire. We signed him.

Deity

It's funny though because despite Robins wanting "a more attacking wing back" he didn't get a game when it started to matter, it's almost as if your theory is complete nonsense.

Perhaps he wants a player more comfortable on the ball, not necessarily more attacking in the true sense of the term.
I understand the logic but I think you are over looking that JWE looked very suspect defending. Robins is pragmatic, if it’s a choice between being tighter at the back but less dynamic going forward, history shows he takes the defensive option first.

PVA

I never said JWE is better than Bidwell, just that he's more attacking. You disagree, which to me is nuts.

And all evidence points to him wanting a more attacking alternative. It seems pretty clear.

Last edited:

covcity4life

He decided this year he was going to bang on about how JWE and BNC were rubbish no matter what the evidence actually showed. It's his thing, he picks a player tells everyone they are shite even if they are not.

I guess everyone needs a hobby.
Clueless donkey BNC can't defend while we go 19 unbeaten and keep clean sheets along the way lol

fatso

29 starts and 5 sub, so "sat on bench" slightly harsh, but otherwise I agree-is he better than Bidwell? Current evidence suggests not.
Different type of player. Bidwell's more of a FB where Desilva is a LWB with more pace and quick feet. (Like Maatsen)

covcity4life

He's not disagreeing, he's pointing out the more defensive wing back played ahead of the more attacking one.
Because JWE inexperienced and not finished article

I think if maatsen could have come back robins would have done it for sure.

Hopefully da Silva adds something different. Looks like we have two very solid options at lwb now. Time to turn out attention to other positions.

PVA

He's not disagreeing, he's pointing out the more defensive wing back played ahead of the more attacking one.

He disagreed previously, a while ago, and said JWE is not more attacking.

And to your second point - beause Bidwell is better than JWE. Doesn't mean Robins doesn't want a more attacking alternative there.

I don't know why this is apparently so controversial 😂

SBAndy

Dasilva has fantastic stats that suggest it's provably not his fault that he's not got loads more assists
. Goals yes , just not really his game

xA for the season of 3.6 - Bidwell was 3.4
Chances Created per 90 of 1.2 - Bidwell was 0.9
Big Chances Created was 2 - Bidwell was 0

Worth noting that Bidwell played around 1.5x the games when thinking about the season total stats as well.

Londonccfcfan

Really trusting the management here. Dont know too mich about him dont recollect seeing him or noticing him as a stand out.

covcity4life

xA for the season of 3.6 - Bidwell was 3.4
Chances Created per 90 of 1.2 - Bidwell was 0.9
Big Chances Created was 2 - Bidwell was 0

Worth noting that Bidwell played around 1.5x the games when thinking about the season total stats as well.
Interesting

Users who are viewing this thread